Tom Cable likely out in Oakland

Sperm Edwards

Al Davis finally finds a coach who wants to be there and who has brought some amount of success despite the team being saddled with awful drafting, awful draft-day trades, lousy free agent acquisitions, awful overspending on veterans, and lousy QB's. Cable is a complete scumbag animal and actually made the Raiders almost likeable because he was such a good fit for that filthy organization.

What competent HC is realistically going to take that job?

Al Davis finally finds a coach who wants to be there and who has brought some amount of success despite the team being saddled with awful drafting, awful draft-day trades, lousy free agent acquisitions, awful overspending on veterans, and lousy QB's. Cable is a complete scumbag animal and actually made the Raiders almost likeable because he was such a good fit for that filthy organization.

What competent HC is realistically going to take that job?

Probably unlikely since Parcells is an East Coast guy but know he's friends with Al Davis...maybe Al would allow Parcells to aussme the consigliere role with a possible ownership stake down the line.

So strange. I know the guy is scum, but he has the Raiders playing far better football than I ever thought they could do. I do know that the rumor is that Al Davis has finally jumped the shark so far that he has finally given up power within the organization. Some have likened it to the last year or two of George Steinbrenner when he was no longer really running the team behind the scenes but most thought he still was. Maybe those in charge simply realized that they have to move forward from the old way of doing things which Cable would fit in as. The problem is they need a big name coach to just turn around the perception of the franchise. I dont know who would be willing to do it. Maybe a guy like Brian Billick who doesnt seem to be able to get a job elsewhere and definitely wants back into coaching, especially if you listened to him at the end of his broadcast today.

I will never understand the Raiders even a little bit. It's like they want to go out of their way to make sure they don't succeed. Most people roundly mocked the Cable hiring and as it turned it, the Raiders made a pretty decent choice. They have a pretty terrible personnel grouping there, and had nothing expected out of them. Yet as it turns out, they put a pretty decent team out on the field. So now they're firing him because who the hell knows why. Nobody's going to want that job, and with that team, there's a very good chance they'll only do worse than Cable.

Archived