Tom Coughlin -"Kiss my a$$"

Matt39

As far as I remember it, he wasn't asked anything. He was expected to apologize for running onto the field like a moron after the punter while Jackson was still running the punt back. He walked up to the podium and said "I take full responsibility. The punter is a rookie..." and then did about five minutes on the punter not doing what he was asked and saying he had trouble with the snap and that's not what we told him to do, etc, etc, etc. All of this before he mentioned any of the other moronic plays and coaching decisions that it took to have that disaster.

In that case the #1 job of the punter is to get the ball off. A block, fumble or sack = lost game. A punt with an excellent return = OT. The entire organization sh*tting the bed = what happened.

Wouldn't he be expected to address the final play more than any other play in a NYC press conference? I'm having alot of trouble buying this story the way you're telling it...A questionless press conference rant about a punt that just cost the Giants first place at home after they led 31-3 at one point? Yea, OK.

A punt out of bounds = Pinned back offense with a few seconds...probable overtime. A punt in bounds = Not what he was told to do and also an opportunity for one of the most explosive players in the league the past 3 years to get the ball.

No one is saying Dodge is the only reason they messed up...the whole team bombed...that said, his boss had every right to flip his sh*t on him. His orders were to get the punt away from Jackson, preferably out of bounds, and he did not do it. That's not good work, and there is no reason for excuses to be made for him weeks later like he didn't mess up bad.

Wouldn't he be expected to address the final play more than any other play in a NYC press conference? I'm having alot of trouble buying this story the way you're telling it...A questionless press conference rant about a punt that just cost the Giants first place at home after they led 31-3 at one point? Yea, OK.

A punt out of bounds = Pinned back offense with a few seconds...probable overtime. A punt in bounds = Not what he was told to do and also an opportunity for one of the most explosive players in the league the past 3 years to get the ball.

No one is saying Dodge is the only reason they messed up...the whole team bombed...that said, his boss had every right to flip his sh*t on him. His orders were to get the punt away from Jackson, preferably out of bounds, and he did not do it. That's not good work, and there is no reason for excuses to be made for him weeks later like he didn't mess up bad.

So Dodge was the only player to make a mistake on that punt? And his mistake was bigger than all the guys missing lanes and tackles? Ok.

The kid didn't do what he was told to do despite the fact that he was told to do it. It is not even close to the first time he messed up this season as he's been a season long storyline for the Giants. Coughlin got mad, and he had every right to get mad. It's not that punting in bounds = losing, it's that he was given a job to do, he did not do it (again....again this season), and it cost his team a division game as well as a probable division title. Rookie or not, Dodge ****ed up and Coughlin reacted like men in charge might react back in the days before "self esteem" and all that bullsh*t was self earned and not some right handed down by the outraged masses.

And you're telling me these guys HAVEN'T been coached to tackle a punt returner? What was that their first time or something? Jackson was given the opportunity to blow by everyone, which NO ONE on the Giants coaching staff wanted to give him, and he did what guys with his speed can do. It's not that the Giants COULDN'T tackle him...certainly not because they had no idea how...it's that they DIDN'T. Again, it should never even have come to it because the almighty playcall was for a kick that goes out of bounds, and not to one of the league's fastest, most dangerous, and most explosive players while all the momentum is on his and his team's side.

What's a bigger hallmark of how they view Dodge...the coach yelling at him for f*cking up or the franchise (and same coach) keeping him despite him being a season long issue as a rookie?

http://deadspin.com/5716102/what-happens-on-a-directional-punt-and-why-coughlin-shouldnt-have-lost-his-sh*t

You're mad he got mad in the moment when his punter didn't do what he was told to do? It's not like it means he hates the punter. Dodge f*cked up ALOT this year and he's still going to be on the team next year because they think he's that talented. I'm sure they talked it out and Dodge slept better eventually.

We're becoming a country of vaginas, aren't we? A boss can't yell at his employee for making a big mistake in a big moment. What a moment.

He's not his boss and he's not his employee. He's his coach.

No, no he ******* shouldn't come out and yell at a guy who just made a mistake, maybe he should take a look at himself for blowing a 21 point lead and falling apart in every phase of the ******* game.

So Dodge was the only player to make a mistake on that punt? And his mistake was bigger than all the guys missing lanes and tackles? Ok.

...Where did I write that?

The guy has one f*ckin job...and anyone who even pretended to follow the Giants this year knows that Dodge consistently f'd up in his rookie season....And mind you he's replacing the man who perfected the coffin punt and was deadly in the field position game...I still see every reason why Coughlin could lose his sh*t in a moment.

dbatesman, on 07 January 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

http://deadspin.com/...e-lost-his-sh*t

Only in this whiny "everyone needs to feel good about themselves" era would the word "emasculated" be used to describe a dude getting yelled at for doing a bad job. Even in the article there's tons of reasons for Coughlin to flip...punters practice the most...Dodge tried to listen and like everything else at the end of that game it just didn't work...meh...f*ck it it's the Giants anyway...I'm just surprised at how this punter is being treated as some poow victim of the meany poo Tom Coughlin, as if this is the first time some random rookie f'd up and pissed off his coach enough for him to be...emasculated...in front of the public. I guess this fits with the whole "coaches > execution" theme of 2010.

I'm beginning to think that the gay cat up above either is the son of a coach or, at the very least, has a coach as a relative. You seem to defend the coaches way too much, especially Schotty. Either that or you're just trying to be an a$$ for the sake of arguing.

The guy has one f*ckin job...and anyone who even pretended to follow the Giants this year knows that Dodge consistently f'd up in his rookie season....And mind you he's replacing the man who perfected the coffin punt and was deadly in the field position game...I still see every reason why Coughlin could lose his sh*t in a moment.

Only in this whiny "everyone needs to feel good about themselves" era would the word "emasculated" be used to describe a dude getting yelled at for doing a bad job. Even in the article there's tons of reasons for Coughlin to flip...punters practice the most...Dodge tried to listen and like everything else at the end of that game it just didn't work...meh...f*ck it it's the Giants anyway...I'm just surprised at how this punter is being treated as some poow victim of the meany poo Tom Coughlin, as if this is the first time some random rookie f'd up and pissed off his coach enough for him to be...emasculated...in front of the public. I guess this fits with the whole "coaches > execution" theme of 2010.

Pretty convenient for Coughlin that his superiors don't chew him out in public or tell the media what a screw-up he's been when he's overseen a bad season or when he's gotten fired outright. Clearly you must believe Coughlin has been coddled too much because he is a dry, crusty, old vagina.

Eh, i got no problem with Coughlin yellin at a kid. If Dodge isnt man enough to take an earful, then he shouldnt be playing in the NFL. That's the problem with today's society anyway, way too sensitive and politically correct. If people only knew what a Marine drill instructor says to young recruits these days, more would be against the military.

So you don't think Dodge's mistake was bigger than everyone else's?

Jackson even fumbled the ball, he was actually standing still for a second, and I don't think a single Giant was even able to get a finger on him; and you think the punter deserved to gets singled out?

Pretty convenient for Coughlin that his superiors don't chew him out in public or tell the media what a screw-up he's been when he's overseen a bad season or when he's gotten fired outright. Clearly you must believe Coughlin has been coddled too much because he is a dry, crusty, old vagina.

This is the best post in the whole thread.

Eh, i got no problem with Coughlin yellin at a kid. If Dodge isnt man enough to take an earful, then he shouldnt be playing in the NFL. That's the problem with today's society anyway, way too sensitive and politically correct. If people only knew what a Marine drill instructor says to young recruits these days, more would be against the military.

Yep. What is up with the majority of JN posters sticking up for a pro-athlete who got yelled at for not doing his job? Pussies.

Look out, something just flew over your head.

So you don't think Dodge's mistake was bigger than everyone else's?

Jackson even fumbled the ball, he was actually standing still for a second, and I don't think a single Giant was even able to get a finger on him; and you think the punter deserved to gets singled out?

No, I think his mistake existed and happened to cap a ridiculous 8 minutes of play from the Giants...How would you feel as a HC if your top ranked D just blew a 21 point lead, the division rival you're playing actually pulled off an onside kick AFTER a 65 yard TD to the TE, and then to top it off the f*cking punter does the exact opposite of what he was told to do? I think I'd be in the mood to kick the asses of a whole bunch of toddlers and babies...

Look out, something just flew over your head.

There's like 9023082130283 things over my head, which one should I reach up and try to grab?

Edit: Re-read that article and yeah...right over my head indeed. I agree that directional punting can't be easy, but it does not exonerate the punter....in the end the heat of the moment after those 8 minutes probably just hit Coughlin and he took it out on Dodge...unfair? Sure. Meany poo? Sure. Does it mean Coughlin had no right or even reason to do so? Nope.

Archived