The Francesa-Jets feud

stoicsentry

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the simplest solution is for you to just act like a mod

I would think someone with that stature would encourage good posts and support the growth of the board, not drive posters (and traffic) away and be the type of poster that a mod would need to, well, moderate

Wait. Mods have stature? I didn't know that. I thought it was just about gay male sex. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I live too far away to get involved.

Actually the new regime is different. I never asked for a press pass because I am 102% certain it would have been denied. But they are accommodating with the transcripts, news releases etc. From a PR standpoint they are different these days.

(Not saying they didn't give WFAN a hard time, I am sure they did). Just saying the guys running the media relations now at the Jets seem very fair. They answer emails and don't treat you the way we were treated back in 2005, that guy is no longer there by the way, left years ago.

Could not agree more with this Phil. The PR team for the Jets has been outstanding and openly offer us information that most of the time I would not even think to ask for.

As for the transcripts that we post, I usually find them informative as most of the time the beat guys only take specific quotes and leave out the rest. They usually show how out of context quotes are taken.. but that is just me I guess

He sits there with the Post, reads snippets of articles, and incites. Not a bad gig, really.

Exactly. Dude's got the easiest job in the world. A job that anyone on this message board with a personality could do just as well and anyone with a sense of humor could do much better if given the opportunity.

Do you know how fatty got his start? He was Brent Musberger's researcher on NFL Today in the early 80s. When the Fan started they approached Musberger about doing a show but he wasn't interested and suggested Francesca because he never thought a 24-hour sports talk radio station would go anywhere, even though the model was working extraordinarily well at WIP in Philly for a couple of years already.

I would be willing to bet that the first thing they had Francesca do was go to Philly and listen to Angelo Cataldi. Cataldi was a genius at pissing off his listeners and getting them to call in.

Francesca is not only a talentless idiot, he is also an arrogant prick, as reported by almost anyone I know who's ever met the dude in a social setting. I'm glad the Fan's signal doesn't reach down here. I can't even accidentily put his trainwreck of a show on.

Yeah thats pretty much the deal with Francesa. Hes a great interview guy. He tends to talk over people too much now, but he really is a great interview especially with coaches. He basically will ask everything that the fans want to ask of a coach. They used to have great ones with Bobby Valentine back in the day. The Jim Fassel stuff was pretty good too. He wasnt as good with players (he had a horrendous interview with Jason Kidd years back when Kidd sat out a game where he basically kissed up to him), but has had his moments with them too. I thought his Vinny Testaverde spot was pretty good and Antonio Pierce recently wasnt bad, but too often he just wants to get off the phone with the players.

I always thought that the Jets/Francesa rift dated back to late 2004. I remember they could never get Pennington on the radio or Herm because they were locked into 1050. They basically got Herm one time late in the year (Im sure a similar deal to how they offered him Rex this year except now he is more upset so he turned it down) and killed him. When the Jets lost to the Steelers they really destroyed Herm and later on the way they were scapegoating certain guys like Santana Moss. When camp opened the following year and the Jets had that practice brawl with the Giants that was the first complete breakdown. I dont even remember if Mike went to camp or it was just the Dog but they brought Henderson on and it was one of the worst interviews of all time. It was like he was sent there to not say a word because they were critical of the Jets behavior. They were 100% right too and Henderson pretty much got his the following season when the Jets defense got its rear end kicked every week.

ESPNs interviews are horrible. As you said its kiss up city. You will get more info in one interview on the Fan than you will with the 17 interviews Kay gets with the same players and coaches. He goes nuts leading up to the interviews about how he is going to ask the tough questions and really get after the guy about something and then its just a softball lob. Rex Ryan makes some crazy call and his idea of going after him is: Kay: "Rex I just have to ask you this question but what wen through your mind when you called that coverage?"

Rex: "What went through my mind is that we wanted to win that game. Id call it again if the same situation came up tomorrow"

Kay: "So you are telling me you wanted to win the game"

Rex: "Yes I want to win every game"

Kay: "Thats what I thought too. It makes sense when you take that perspective on it. Thats why we love to have you on every week here on 1050. We give out listeners an inside look that they cant get anywhere else"

Its pathetic. I never listen to his spots with Sanchez but was on the way home last week so I put it on. It was comical. The questions were like "so you can throw the ball", "boy its pretty cool to have Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards on your team isnt it", "Are you in awe of playing Peyton manning"

Its just awful awful radio. I never understood why they dont raid WFAN and bring someone else in for the main show.

I think it's because ESPN is explicit partners with these teams and leagues and acts as a de facto marketing arm for them. They will not burn any bridges, even when they're called upon to do a "story" about steroids or dick pics. They always center the story around the "exhaustive efforts" of the leagues to investigate and clean up anything that looks shady, and they completely minimize the crime itself, attributing it to "whoopsy! crazy athlete alert!" behaviors. You can see it with Cimini already--the second he went to ESPN he started writing human interest stories about the Jets instead of his usual slam jobs.

And that's too funny with your Kay interview--that's exactly how it goes. Did you hear the other day when Kay and LaGreca were debating the virtues of the new stadium? The biggest slam Kay would come up with was "it lacks personality," while LaGreca took offense and delivered a diatribe about the amazing amenities, food choices and luxurious seating options. The NMS couldn't buy promotion like that. Or, er, they already did.

Actually the new regime is different. I never asked for a press pass because I am 102% certain it would have been denied. But they are accommodating with the transcripts, news releases etc. From a PR standpoint they are different these days.

(Not saying they didn't give WFAN a hard time, I am sure they did). Just saying the guys running the media relations now at the Jets seem very fair. They answer emails and don't treat you the way we were treated back in 2005, that guy is no longer there by the way, left years ago.

Don't contradict me in public, you whore.

Could not agree more with this Phil. The PR team for the Jets has been outstanding and openly offer us information that most of the time I would not even think to ask for.

As for the transcripts that we post, I usually find them informative as most of the time the beat guys only take specific quotes and leave out the rest. They usually show how out of context quotes are taken.. but that is just me I guess

Not knocking the transcripts themselves, bro. Just pointing out that nobody seems to read them or respond to them on here to show that player access/coach access is over-rated.

Not knocking the transcripts themselves, bro. Just pointing out that nobody seems to read them or respond to them on here to show that player access/coach access is over-rated.

No worries bro I can care less who knocks me..just commenting on them in general. The Jets PR team has treated me personally great and I wish I had more time to take advantage of the opportunities they provide us like conference calls etc

No worries bro I can care less who knocks me..just commenting on them in general. The Jets PR team has treated me personally great and I wish I had more time to take advantage of the opportunities they provide us like conference calls etc

I would never knock you, brother. You're much larger than me.

Don't contradict me in public, you whore.

I haven't seen Tom back peddle that fast since a certain Steelers fan was trash talking.

And that's too funny with your Kay interview--that's exactly how it goes. Did you hear the other day when Kay and LaGreca were debating the virtues of the new stadium? The biggest slam Kay would come up with was "it lacks personality," while LaGreca took offense and delivered a diatribe about the amazing amenities, food choices and luxurious seating options. The NMS couldn't buy promotion like that. Or, er, they already did.

I didnt hear that one but heard them do similar things in the past. I want to say one of them went there for a concert(Bon Jovi?) and they felt it was kind of bland, but wasnt done yet so it was still awesome in its potential. WFAN takes calls all the time from Jets and Giants fans about how much they dislike the stadium, how its not worth the cost, etc...yet the other show usually just talks about how the stadium is rockin and well worth the price of admission if you can afford it, because you know if you cant afford $700 bucks a seat and 20K or 30K up front well you really should not have been spending that $125 a game it cost you last season and thats just the reality of sports. Meanwhile you can hear a pin drop in that stadium its so dead and the seats so empty during the games, but somehow the guys on ESPN hear the loudness and atmosphere of it every week.

Still these guys are 100 times better than the other ESPN guys if you ever listen to the ESPN affiliates out of market.

Was in the car last night going home and heard him saying all this sarcastic stuff about how the Jets have not won anything and that the Giants have done this and that....The fact remains that he has been anti-Jet, anti-Jet fan and anti-anything regarding the Jets. When we win the Jets are lucky, when we lose we are just a not ready for prime time team. That's Francis's opinion of our team. Its about time the Jets said to him basically go Fcuk yourself.

Listening to WSCR is like hanging out with your one uncle who can speak intelligently on just about any topic but insists on peppering every conversation with fart jokes and references to that chimp who ate the lady's face.

Funnily enough I have that same problem when I go out on dates. In unrelated news I'm still single.

Archived