Giants allow season ticket holders to defer payment.

visajets

Giants will allow season-ticket holders to defer payment until lockout is over

Published: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 4:29 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 5:11 PM

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Rob Carr/Getty ImagesGiants president and CEO John Mara said today the team won't require season-ticket holders to make payments until the lockout is over. A team spokesman said ticket prices will not be increased.

A few weeks ago, John Mara told employees across the Giants’ organization the plan as of then was they wouldn’t suffer any salary cuts, layoffs or furloughs during a lockout. It was a rare, honorable approach in a league where owners were planning to roll back costs across the board.

Turns out the Giants will also be taking a fair approach with their fans.

In an interview with WFAN this afternoon, Mara said the Giants won’t require their season-ticket holders to pay anything until there is a resolution to the current labor dispute between the owners and the players. Mara said invoices will be mailed out next week containing a letter from Mara and executive vice president and chairman Steve Tisch explaining season-ticket holders have the option of making payment by May 1 (normally full payment is due by that date) or exercising the option to wait until a new collective bargaining agreement is agreed upon.

Giants vice president of communications Pat Hanlon said ticket holders will have to authorize the organization to charge a credit card in the amount of their tickets upon resolution of the CBA issue. Ticket holders who exercise that option must do so by April 30. The letter will also explain the refund policy in the event of lost games, though Mara continues to say he does not believe games will be lost.

In addition, Hanlon said ticket prices will remain at the same level as last season, marking the second time in three seasons the team did not increase ticket prices. The team had increased ticket prices every year from 2003-08.

The Giants’ appear to be in the minority in allowing their season-ticket holders to wait for a new CBA before making payment. The Jets are taking 50 percent of the payments now with the other half to be charged when training-camp dates are announced. The Patriots are asking for full payment by the end of the month. The Panthers gave their ticket holders a reasonable deal: 10 percent now, 90 percent once there's a new CBA.

The Jets, who are furloughing employees during the lockout, also increased ticket prices an average of 2.3 percent.

The rest of Mara’s interview on “Mike’d Up” with Mike Francesa was pretty much a rehash of the same things he’s been saying for the past few days and weeks with some interesting tidbits:

--While the NFL is enjoying record revenues, profits are down considerably for the past 4-5 years. Teams are making a lot less because of the deal the owners struck with the players in 2006.

--That ’06 deal was a great one for the players, who took advantage of owners who were “desperate” to avoid an uncapped year and a work stoppage.

--He believes there are teams losing money.

--He doesn’t think games will be lost. “We’re still optimistic we’ll have a 2011 season in full,” he said. Mara estimated the league would need a CBA agreement at least three weeks before the start of the regular season, though he cautioned “that’s just one man’s opinion.”

--And Mara reiterated his belief the players were interested in litigation instead of negotiation. He said again a deal was there to be made and that there was “good give and take” at one point when both sides were “on the right path.” That was until, according to Mara, the NFLPA suddenly came back to say they were staying with original numbers. “What irritates me the most is they haven’t made a counter offer on core economic issues,” Mara said.

Still, Mara realizes there are those who can’t understand why the league is experiencing a work stoppage in a time of great success.

“I absolutely do understand that and I certainly don’t feel like a winner right now,” he said, adding: ‘I certainly understand the average fan looking at it that way. But again let’s get back to the bargaining table, sit down and try to work out a deal instead of going through this needless and expensive litigation.”

No, the Jets aren't bad guys, the Giants simply can afford to do it (more so than the Jets)

The Jets are cutting Rex's and Tannenbaum's salaries by 25% pending a lockout. You're telling me they can't afford to pay them their full contracted salaries? Giants wanted no PSL's. Giants are deferring ticket payments. Giants are not laying off or forcing paycuts or furloughs on their employees. I guess they can afford more class. I'll have to ask the Johnson and Johnson heir the next time he steps off his helicopter if he needs any donations to help keep the organization afloat. Rediculous.

Other than playing in the Super Bowl every five years and not treating their fans like five year olds, what the Hell do the Giants do to be considered first class?

They also have not cut any of their employees pay.

The Giants are the only ones doing this crap and it is because they have the most touchy PMS ridden fan base out there... they are not good lately and are on the verge of purging huge chunks of their fan base to the JETS...

If the Giants won the Superbowl they would not be doing this, so stop acting like they are somehow better.

Also stop hating rich people, look at the country you CHOOSE to live in first.

The Giants are the only ones doing this crap and it is because they have the most touchy PMS ridden fan base out there... they are not good lately and are on the verge of purging huge chunks of their fan base to the JETS...

If the Giants won the Superbowl they would not be doing this, so stop acting like they are somehow better.

Also stop hating rich people, look at the country you CHOOSE to live in first.

I don't hate rich people; I'd like to be one, but not by riipoing people off. I do hate companies who rip off consumers. The Jets qualify. Keep in mind, what ever else his failings as an owner, Leon Hess was the last owner to not require season ticket holders to buy nonsense exhibition games. And were I an assistant coach, I'd be even more pissed off. Woody Johnson is a spoiled brat a$$hole.

the Jets should be doing the right things in this situation- not making people pay for tickets when no season in place and making people take furloughs is not right- not about hating rich people.

Keep in mind, what ever else his failings as an owner, Leon Hess was the last owner to not require season ticket holders to buy nonsense exhibition games.

Ah, the good old days of paying $200 for a whole season's worth of lower sideline seats. Except for the fact that an 8-win season was a relative success, I miss those years.

I don't hate rich people; I'd like to be one, but not by riipoing people off. I do hate companies who rip off consumers. The Jets qualify. Keep in mind, what ever else his failings as an owner, Leon Hess was the last owner to not require season ticket holders to buy nonsense exhibition games. And were I an assistant coach, I'd be even more pissed off. Woody Johnson is a spoiled brat a$hole.

In what warped universe does this make any sense?

You want Woody to be different to fit your wants? lol

Woody Johnson has made the JETS something they never could be... winners... even the Superbowl JETS were considered lucky underdogs blessed with a miracle QB.

the Jets should be doing the right things in this situation- not making people pay for tickets when no season in place and making people take furloughs is not right- not about hating rich people.

Along with every other NFL team I guess...

Do you ever get a tax return? Just curious.

In what warped universe does this make any sense?

You want Woody to be different to fit your wants? lol

Woody Johnson has made the JETS something they never could be... winners... even the Superbowl JETS were considered lucky underdogs blessed with a miracle QB.

Woody Johnson wasn't being a "Winner" when he hired that imbecile Herman Edwards.

I don't mind playing ball, but I dislike getting hit over the head with the baseball bat and being told it's just a wonderful game.

I would like him not to charge me for a product that we all know may not be available in September. And he is already holding cash of mine from playoff games that were not played in his stadium. As to what other teams do, objectively his co-tenant is at least being fair and decent to his customers.

Again, Woody Johnson is dick who has never done a day of honest work and who only cares about his bottom line. Fvkc him. If it wasn't for inheritance(and good for him) reality is he'd be picking up my deposit cans. Keep treating your customers like marks to be fleeced and then wonder why there are so many empty boxes and seats in your ugly a$$ sh*thole of a stadium.

Woody Johnson wasn't being a "Winner" when he hired that imbecile Herman Edwards.

I don't mind playing ball, but I dislike getting hit over the head with the baseball bat and being told it's just a wonderful game.

I would like him not to charge me for a product that we all know may not be available in September. And he is already holding cash of mine from playoff games that were not played in his stadium. As to what other teams do, objectively his co-tenant is at least being fair and decent to his customers.

Again, Woody Johnson is dick who has never done a day of honest work and who only cares about his bottom line. Fvkc him. If it wasn't for inheritance(and good for him) reality is he'd be picking up my deposit cans. Keep treating your customers like marks to be fleeced and then wonder why there are so many empty boxes and seats in your ugly a$$ sh*thole of a stadium.

POTEver

All teams should be doing this. Good for the Giants. I read at Patsfans.com that Kraft has a March 31st deadline for ST payment because he didn't want to lay people off...pure speculation, mind you. I call bull.

Anyway, the Giants come out looking like a class organization. The others no so much.

Again, Woody Johnson is dick who has never done a day of honest work and who only cares about his bottom line. Fvkc him. If it wasn't for inheritance(and good for him) reality is he'd be picking up my deposit cans. Keep treating your customers like marks to be fleeced and then wonder why there are so many empty boxes and seats in your ugly a$ sh*thole of a stadium.

I am just going to ignore all the venom you have for Woody for some reason and point out that Giants fans had to pay full PSL UP FRONT even in the upper deck.

Fair and decent?

The Giants certainly have ripped more money from their fans pockets in the last year than the JETS have... and putting off season ticket payments for a few months does not somehow make them better.

WOW the Giants saved you $4.64 in interest earned!

All teams should be doing this. Good for the Giants. I read at Patsfans.com that Kraft has a March 31st deadline for ST payment because he didn't want to lay people off...pure speculation, mind you. I call bull.

Anyway, the Giants come out looking like a class organization. The others no so much.

What a pile of JET CRAP. I bleed Green and White, but am tired of being fleeced. I even have to admit the Giants are showing a litte class by not requiring payment until there is Definitely a 2011 Season!!!!!

And up until a couple of years ago, Jet's STH's did not have to pay for their seats until May 15th, a full 6 weeks later than the current 2 Payment Plan. It is so odd that the Giants and Jets play in the same damn stadium, and yet the parking lot situation and ticket payment policies are oh so different.

Come On JETS STH's Let's Revolt, and don't pay for your tickets UNTIL A SEASON IS ACTUALLY ANNOUNCED AND WILL BE PLAYED!!!!!

I am just going to ignore all the venom you have for Woody for some reason and point out that Giants fans had to pay full PSL UP FRONT even in the upper deck.

Fair and decent?

The Giants certainly have ripped more money from their fans pockets in the last year than the JETS have... and putting off season ticket payments for a few months does not somehow make them better.

WOW the Giants saved you $4.64 in interest earned!

The greatest of journeys begins with but a single step.

And fvkcing over your customer in this case began a long time ago, but continues unabated with ripping off 75,000 of your customers to the tune of $4.64 each in furtherance thereof.

So the Jints screwing over their customers in the past somehow makee the Jets doing it right now okay. Some logic you have there.

The greatest of journeys begins with but a single step.

And fvkcing over your customer in this case began a long time ago, but continues unabated with ripping off 75,000 of your customers to the tune of $4.64 each in furtherance thereof.

So the Jints screwing over their customers in the past somehow makee the Jets doing it right now okay. Some logic you have there.

FWIW maybe 1% of the fanbase would actually save the money and collect all 100% of the interest that could possibly be earned... and if you use real logic it cost most people pennies... whatever

Why do you waste so much energy being a crybaby?

FWIW maybe 1% of the fanbase would actually save the money and collect all 100% of the interest that could possibly be earned... and if you use real logic it cost most people pennies... whatever

Why do you waste so much energy being a crybaby?

Hey, Ecurb, curious: why do you work so hard at convincing people that Season Ticket ownership and PSL's are wonderful and the Jets organization is doing the right thing by their fans? You do it with such enthusiasm....all the time. Makes me wonder if it's the detractors you are trying to convince, or yourself.

Granted, the Giants' gesture is probably more of a PR move than anything else, but it's good PR. A lot of teams should take notice.

Hey, Ecurb, curious: why do you work so hard at convincing people that Season Ticket ownership and PSL's are wonderful and the Jets organization is doing the right thing by their fans? You do it with such enthusiasm....all the time. Makes me wonder if it's the detractors you are trying to convince, or yourself.

Granted, the Giants' gesture is probably more of a PR move than anything else, but it's good PR. A lot of teams should take notice.

I just get bothered when people bitch and whine about capitalism. Plain and simple.

Especially when it is a small % of someones income and is an expense they already planned on paying.

How does what the JETS did hurt me? Letting me pay half later is mean?

Get real.

I just get bothered when people bitch and whine about capitalism. Plain and simple.

Especially when it is a small % of someones income and is an expense they already planned on paying.

How does what the JETS did hurt me? Letting me pay half later is mean?

Get real.

Asking for a PSL boggles my mind anyway. You are paying for the right to pay for tickets. Seems a little effed-up, actually. And no offense, but what you may find a small % of income, may not be to someone else. What you think is money well spent, someone may think that a flat screen TV, wings, beer and having friends over on game days is better. Being a season ticket holder does not make you a better fan. It just makes you someone that has decided the game day experience is worth the money it costs. Good for you for feeling that way, by the way. And good for the folks who do not.

Asking for a PSL boggles my mind anyway. You are paying for the right to pay for tickets. Seems a little effed-up, actually. And no offense, but what you may find a small % of income, may not be to someone else. What you think is money well spent, someone may think that a flat screen TV, wings, beer and having friends over on game days is better. Being a season ticket holder does not make you a better fan. It just makes you someone that has decided the game day experience is worth the money it costs. Good for you for feeling that way, by the way. And good for the folks who do not.

What you are saying makes no sense, this person already decided to spend this money every year. If they are having buyers remorse that is not the NYJ fault...

As far as PSL's go... it is paying a premium... if you want a really powerful car you pay a tax just because it has a big gas guzzling engine...

I don't hate rich people; I'd like to be one, but not by riipoing people off. I do hate companies who rip off consumers. The Jets qualify. Keep in mind, what ever else his failings as an owner, Leon Hess was the last owner to not require season ticket holders to buy nonsense exhibition games. And were I an assistant coach, I'd be even more pissed off. Woody Johnson is a spoiled brat a$$hole.

I'll take Johnson/Ryan over Hess/Kotite any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hey nobody likes paying more for anything, but with our last 2 seasons (heck I even had a hell of a lot of fun being a Jets fan the Favre year) it becomes real hard to complain about ownership that much.

I wonder if the nflpa would twist the owners decision to not invoice customers as a sign of their ultimate intention to not have a season and force their will and use that to say the owners never had the intention of negotiating in good faith.

Not so far fetched.

Why did you not request the playoff ticket refund?

What a pile of JET CRAP. I bleed Green and White, but am tired of being fleeced. I even have to admit the Giants are showing a litte class by not requiring payment until there is Definitely a 2011 Season!!!!!

And up until a couple of years ago, Jet's STH's did not have to pay for their seats until May 15th, a full 6 weeks later than the current 2 Payment Plan. It is so odd that the Giants and Jets play in the same damn stadium, and yet the parking lot situation and ticket payment policies are oh so different.

Come On JETS STH's Let's Revolt, and don't pay for your tickets UNTIL A SEASON IS ACTUALLY ANNOUNCED AND WILL BE PLAYED!!!!!

Dude, seriously, no offense, but you are the guy flooding the Tix for sale forum every week. Scalpers really have no right to complain here. If you want to turn being a season ticket holder into a business then there is a cost to doing business.

And hey, this isn't an attack, I have no problem with you, just sayin'.

Even Pats who are asking for payment up front like Jets are paying a 1% use of funds payment on the refund if the season is not played.

However it should be noted Giants are still selling PSLs priced at 50% due up front and 50% due in 12 months even though there may not be a season.

Archived