Jets 5 rd mock

bitonti

I recently participated in a full 5 round mock, as the Jets. Here's how i did.

PRe deaft assuming they sign one or both Holmes and Edwards. Cro and everyone else walks.

As the first round unfolded was punting on 3-4 defensive end after the big run. There are several guys I'd rather target in the 6th/7th to replace Ellis (every name below i'd be comfortable drafting 6/7). If Cameron Heyward or someone dropped I'd take him but it was not to be. I kinda ended up with alot of defensive backs. But except for Revis and Leonard it's basically a rebuild situation back there. Feedback welcomed.

Jets 5 round mock

1.30 - OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona

others on the board: Aaron Williams (31), Derek Sherrod (32), Phil Taylor (37), Akeem Ayers (44), Allen Bailey (46), Jabaal Sheard (57)

San Diego 2.61 Cromartie trade pick turned into DE Sam Acho, Texas

3.94 - CB Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech

others on the board: Pernell McPhee (97), Sione Pua (99), Austin Pettis (103)

4.126 - FS Robert Sands, West Virginia

others on the board: Ahmad Black (127), Pierre Allen (130), Chris Conte (136)

5.161 - SS Joe Lefeged, Rutgers

others on the board: Chris Neild (162), Deunta Williams (164), Denarius Moore (165)

20 Jets target prospects rd 6-7 that were still on board after rd 5.

RB Noel Devine, West Virginia

RB Bilal Powell, Louisville

FB Stanley Havilli, Southern California

TE Lee Smith, Marshall

WR Vincent Brown, SDSU

WR Stephen Burton West Texas A&M

LB Chris White, Mississippi State

LB Mike Mohamed, California

LB Ugo Chinasa, Oklahoma State

LB Cliff matthews, South Carolina

LB Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma

OT Derek NEwton, Arkansas State

OT David Mims, Virginia Union

OT Jarriel King, South Carolina

NT Blaine Summers, Col. Mines

DE Brandon Bair, ORegon

DE David Carter, UCLA

DT Cedrick thornton, South Arkansas

CB Richard Sherman, Stanford

FS Eric Hagg, Nebraska

Four picks on defense, three in the secondary? Seems extreme.

there was actually really good RB value in late 3rd but that doesn't seem likely (kentall hunter, Taiwan jones, jordan todman, jaquizz rodgers were on the board past 100).

If they don't sign Holmes they could go WR... but i don't know that offense has alot of needs. RT/OG to develop? 2nd FB, 3rd TE. I thought about going tackle a couple times but in defensive backfield they got Revis and not much else.

If they end up picking Reed, what do you think the chances are for him to make an immediate impact? Specifically as a third down pass rusher? Pace and Thomas can hold up fine against the run but most of the problems on third and long situations last year seemed to stem from the fact that they couldn't get to the quarterback.

If they end up picking Reed, what do you think the chances are for him to make an immediate impact? Specifically as a third down pass rusher? .

Pretty good. There's this SackSEER stuff they do on Football Outsiders. They have Reed getting 15 sacks in first 3 years... same as Robert Quinn.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2011/sackseer-lets-try-again

It should be noted that the lack of Qbs in rd1 kills the Jets pick at 30. If there's only 2 QBs gone by 30 that hurts the Jets. if there's 4 or even 5 guys gone, that's where we see the scenario where a Heyward or Houston drops.

there was actually really good RB value in late 3rd but that doesn't seem likely (kentall hunter, Taiwan jones, jordan todman, jaquizz rodgers were on the board past 100).

If they don't sign Holmes they could go WR... but i don't know that offense has alot of needs. RT/OG to develop? 2nd FB, 3rd TE. I thought about going tackle a couple times but in defensive backfield they got Revis and not much else.

If everyone else walks besides one of Edwards/Holmes I'd say RT is a pretty big need. You are going with Ducasse and nothing if they don't resign Woody or Hunter. I wouldn't take that risk.

I recently participated in a full 5 round mock, as the Jets. Here's how i did.

PRe deaft assuming they sign one or both Holmes and Edwards. Cro and everyone else walks.

As the first round unfolded was punting on 3-4 defensive end after the big run. There are several guys I'd rather target in the 6th/7th to replace Ellis (every name below i'd be comfortable drafting 6/7). If Cameron Heyward or someone dropped I'd take him but it was not to be. I kinda ended up with alot of defensive backs. But except for Revis and Leonard it's basically a rebuild situation back there. Feedback welcomed.

Jets 5 round mock

1.30 - OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona

others on the board: Aaron Williams (31), Derek Sherrod (32), Phil Taylor (37), Akeem Ayers (44), Allen Bailey (46), Jabaal Sheard (57)

San Diego 2.61 Cromartie trade pick turned into DE Sam Acho, Texas

3.94 - CB Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech

others on the board: Pernell McPhee (97), Sione Pua (99), Austin Pettis (103)

4.126 - FS Robert Sands, West Virginia

others on the board: Ahmad Black (127), Pierre Allen (130), Chris Conte (136)

5.161 - SS Joe Lefeged, Rutgers

others on the board: Chris Neild (162), Deunta Williams (164), Denarius Moore (165)

20 Jets target prospects rd 6-7 that were still on board after rd 5.

RB Noel Devine, West Virginia

RB Bilal Powell, Louisville

FB Stanley Havilli, Southern California

TE Lee Smith, Marshall

WR Vincent Brown, SDSU

WR Stephen Burton West Texas A&M

LB Chris White, Mississippi State

LB Mike Mohamed, California

LB Ugo Chinasa, Oklahoma State

LB Cliff matthews, South Carolina

LB Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma

OT Derek NEwton, Arkansas State

OT David Mims, Virginia Union

OT Jarriel King, South Carolina

NT Blaine Summers, Col. Mines

DE Brandon Bair, ORegon

DE David Carter, UCLA

DT Cedrick thornton, South Arkansas

CB Richard Sherman, Stanford

FS Eric Hagg, Nebraska

3 picks in the secondary seem a little over the top. Not that we couldn't use 3 additions to our secondary, but I wouldn't target those roster spots with 3 rookies who are unlikely to see the field at the same time anytime soon unless they're all future stars. Particularly with 3 of our first 4 draft picks when we're already short a 2nd-rounder. I don't have an issue with bringing in that many kids who were in college last year, but I'd be wary of burning back-to-back-to-back picks on 3 separate secondary positions when we just used a first rounder on a CB last year. Wilson didn't knock our socks off but if we're going to give all our rookies 1 year to develop (with two veteran #1 CBs ahead of him on the depth chart) before seeking his replacement in the first half of the following year's drafts, then Tannenbaum is right to trade more picks away for veterans.

Would have liked to see a pick on the DL, but I do prefer BPA (within reason) to forcing a position. I don't know enough about this year's crop to comment much beyond that, so I can't find too much fault with anyone's mock draft that doesn't have us drafting QBs or centers in round 1. It's always aggravating when people's offseason plans (in the draft or in FA) is "get a nose tackle just like a healthy Kris Jenkins" as though such players are available simply because someone wishes it to be so. So while on paper I like the idea of grabbing a NT instead of a CB in round 3, I don't know if it's a prudent move to draft Fua instead of Carmichael. When drafting, the players have names and their own individual skill sets, not just positions they're slotted for as though it's some indication of how useful they'll be on the field for us (if they ever see it).

So the players may all be solid prospects individually, but I just think it's a lot of secondary to add all at the same time. I'd rather take a flyer in rounds 6-7 or with UDFA's instead of drafting at least 1 of the 3 DBs chosen. In your defense, one doesn't get to draft in round 3, 4, etc. with the benefit of hindsight as to who will be available a round later and who won't. But one does have that benefit when critiquing a completed draft.

So the players may all be solid prospects individually, but I just think it's a lot of secondary to add all at the same time. I'd rather take a flyer in rounds 6-7 or with UDFA's instead of drafting at least 1 of the 3 DBs chosen.

thanks for the feedback, my only response is that the secondary is in shambles right now. They have Revis, Wilson, Leonard (coming off a broken leg) and no one else. Cro, Coleman, Pool, Smith, Ihedibo are likely gone (until we hear otherwise). They need a #2/#3 CB and all manner of safeties. Sands was to be a hard hitting free safety ( i really like him for Rex's D) Lefeged was as much a kick return pick as a secondary pick, as Brad Smith is also likely gone. Figure one or the other doesn't develop... they need at least 1 to become a starter.

Under these circumstances I don't see the 2nd team NT or another RT as such a big need. Secondary is a massive need. Also let me add if somehow Jimmy Smith makes it to 30... Rex would likely raise a ruckus to get him. For all this talk about developing Wilson, they need more bodies in case of injury or inevitable Revis holdout.

If everyone else walks besides one of Edwards/Holmes I'd say RT is a pretty big need. You are going with Ducasse and nothing if they don't resign Woody or Hunter. I wouldn't take that risk.

Maybe in free agency, but in the draft? You're just getting an unproven rookie to compete with an unproven second year player in that case. Plus if it's an early pick it's like admitting drafting Ducasse was a mistake, which I'd imagine Tannenbaum isn't ready to do, and if it's a mid-late round pick then you've got to question whether or not whoever it is would be a good option to start as a rookie anyway. Maybe as long-term insurance or perhaps a replacement for Moore down the road in the later rounds, but I think RT is much more of a FA need than a draft need. Only a veteran really adds stability IMO.

thanks for the feedback, my only response is that the secondary is in shambles right now. They have Revis, Wilson, Leonard (coming off a broken leg) and no one else. Cro, Coleman, Pool, Smith, Ihedibo are likely gone (until we hear otherwise). They need a #2/#3 CB and all manner of safeties. Sands was to be a hard hitting free safety ( i really like him for Rex's D) Lefeged was as much a kick return pick as a secondary pick, as Brad Smith is also likely gone. Figure one or the other doesn't develop... they need at least 1 to become a starter.

Under these circumstances I don't see the 2nd team NT or another RT as such a big need. Secondary is a massive need. Also let me add if somehow Jimmy Smith makes it to 30... Rex would likely raise a ruckus to get him. For all this talk about developing Wilson, they need more bodies in case of injury or inevitable Revis holdout.

Know I asked you about Sands in the other thread...think he's a really interesting option at the FS spot. Seems to have the play style to fit the defense and he and Leonhard would complement each other very well IMO. Definitely a slightly secondary heavy mock, but an interesting one. I do wonder if Carmichael is what Rex is going to look for at the CB spot or if he'll go with more of a toolsy guy, possibly small school. Two safeties might be a bit much also, if Leonhard isn't healthy I'd imagine they'll sign somebody. Starting two rookies back there would in all likelihood be a disaster. Lefeged would be interesting to develop but there's a lot more spots that could use some help, though obviously it depends who was on the board at that point. Moore I like and he would have been an interesting pick...think there's some upside there and WR help could definitely be used.

I don't disagree the secondary needs addressing. But drafting 3 of our first 4 picks in the secondary is a bit much (unless other value didn't present itself). What I was alluding to is something derp just mentioned as well: there is next to zero chance we will start 2 mid-late round rookies in the secondary. So given that, you are also drafting for depth there.

NT isn't such a luxury position. Jenkins is not signed and will not be here if we're adhering to your pre-draft assumptions. Pouha is in the last year of his contract, is older than Jenkins, and though he's been a rock the past couple of seasons he isn't without knee history of his own. I would be leery of waiting for a hole at NT before it's first addressed in the draft, which would necessitate a rookie starter next season. To say nothing of the big question mark that any suitable-to-start-now NT will be available to us in the 2012 draft.

And it doesn't have to be NT to swap out with a secondary prospect. We also could use a DE to take Ellis's spot. So this would equate to drafting two second-team DB vacancies over a starting DL vacancy.

In reality you may have put together a draft with all depth and zero starters if Reed doesn't make the transition well enough this year to start over Thomas and if neither safety proves worthy of starting as a rookie. I admit you (or anyone doing a Jets mock) are handicapped by not knowing which FA's we're retaining and which we're not. Clearly we're not losing all the players you mentioned plus Ellis, Hunter, Turner, Pryce, Taylor, and others and expecting to fill every single one of those roster spots with rookies (drafted or UDFAs). I also disagree that every single one of our secondary FA's are "likely gone" with not one of them returning. But your assumption - through your draft - is that we will address every area of depth except the secondary (not to mention a starter at end) through free agency.

there is next to zero chance we will start 2 mid-late round rookies in the secondary. So given that, you are also drafting for depth there.

They might start 1 in Sands. And Lefeged at KR. The question is if they resign Eric Smith/Pool/Ihedibo will it be another 1 year deal? will they get starters money?

NT isn't such a luxury position. Jenkins is not signed and will not be here if we're adhering to your pre-draft assumptions. Pouha is in the last year of his contract, is older than Jenkins, and though he's been a rock the past couple of seasons he isn't without knee history of his own.

Rex can take chicken sh*t and make chicken salad at the NT position. He's done it before he will do it again. He needs DBs. He can't take a late round cornerback and turn him into a great player. He needs guys who can man up and live on an island while 7 of his teammates blitz. they activated and played MTV in the AFC CG, they can get another guy like him and psquad him. If they didn't have Pouha i'd be more concerned but he's a starter. End of the day NT is a 2 down position, DB is a 3 or 4 down position.

And it doesn't have to be NT to swap out with a secondary prospect. We also could use a DE to take Ellis's spot. So this would equate to drafting two second-team DB vacancies over a starting DL vacancy.

I was looking for a DE but this player never fell. I can put the whole draft up but long story short there were only 2 QBs in rd1 which meant all the DT and DE were gone. It was basically Reed, Ballard, Sheard or Allen Bailey on my board. I could see them taking Bailey, he's got first round measurables. But again they have Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul etc. Rex can find DL. He can't find another Calvin Pace or another Cromartie.

In reality you may have put together a draft with all depth and zero starters if Reed doesn't make the transition well enough this year to start over Thomas and if neither safety proves worthy of starting as a rookie. I admit you (or anyone doing a Jets mock) are handicapped by not knowing which FA's we're retaining and which we're not. Clearly we're not losing all the players you mentioned plus Ellis, Hunter, Turner, Pryce, Taylor, and others and expecting to fill every single one of those roster spots with rookies (drafted or UDFAs). I also disagree that every single one of our secondary FA's are "likely gone" with not one of them returning. But your assumption - through your draft - is that we will address every area of depth except the secondary (not to mention a starter at end) through free agency.

I don't disagree with that but here's another problem. The Jets pick at a sh*tty slot and they don't have many picks. I highly doubt the day after the draft the Jets get an A grade from any media memeber. They just don't have the picks or the ammo to have a really awesome draft. There are other teams like the Eagles, Chargers, Pats, Broncos that have a boatload of picks and will likely get a ton of very good players. the Jets are gonna get 6 players in 7 rounds... and none of them will be like Revis or Sanchez. So they will have to pick and choose what problems to solve. And this exercise proved to me that people are gonna be disappointed with the overall crop... even if the Jets pick "better" players than I did they aren't manufacturing draft picks out of thin air.

Rex can take chicken sh*t and make chicken salad at the NT position. He's done it before he will do it again.

Eric Smith and Brodney Pool are the definition of chicken sh*t and Rex has made the defense work pretty darn good with them, anyway. The Jets do need a safety, but tossing picks at two of them--neither of whom are exactly Eric Berry--isn't necessarily upgrading the problem. All it's doing is guaranteeing roster spots to projects.

here's the whole thing... let me know who you'd rather take...

Round 1 Selected

1 Carolina Cam Newton

2 Denver Patrick Peterson

3 Buffalo Marcel Dareus

4 Cincinnati A.J. Green

5 Arizona Von Miller

6 Cleveland Julio Jones

7 San Francisco Robert Quinn

8 Tennessee Blaine Gabbert

9 Dallas Nick Fairley

10 Washington Prince Amukamara

11 Houston DaQuan Bowers

12 Minnesota J. J. Watt

13 Detroit Tyron Smith

14 St. Louis Aldon Smith

15 Miami Mark Ingram

16 Jacksonville Cam Jordan

17 New England(From Oak) Anthony Castonzo

18 San Diego Gabe Carimi

19 New York Giants Corey Liuget

20 Tampa Bay Ryan Kerrigan

21 Kansas City Justin Houston

22 Indianapolis Nate Solder

23 Philadelphia Stephen Paea

24 New Orleans Adrian Clayborn

25 Seattle Jimmy Smith

26 Baltimore Cameron Heyward

27 Atlanta Mike Pouncey

28 New England Muhammed Wilkerson

29 Chicago Torrey Smith

30 NY Jets Brooks Reed

31 Pittsburgh Aaron Williams

32 Green Bay Derek Sherrod

Round 2

33 New England (From CAR) Mikell Leshoure

34 Buffalo Ryan Mallett

35 Cincinnati Jake Locker

36 Denver Marvin Austin

37 Cleveland Phil Taylor

38 Arizona Kyle Rudolph

39 Tennessee Rodney Hudson

40 Dallas Danny Watkins

41 Washington Andy Dalton

42 Houston Rahim Moore

43 Minnesota Christian Ponder

44 Detroit Akeem Ayers

45 San Francisco Colin Kaepernick

46 Denver (From Miami) Allen Bailey

47 St. Louis Titus Young

48 Oakland Davon House

49 Jacksonville Bruce Carter

50 San Diego Leo Hankerson

51 Tampa Bay Martez Wilson

52 New York Giants Brandon Harris

53 Indianapolis DeAndre McDaniel

54 Philadelphia Curtis Brown

55 Kansas City Marcus Cannon

56 New Orleans Ryan Williams

57 Seattle Jabaal Sheard

58 Baltimore Jon Baldwin

59 Atlanta Christian Ballard

60 New England Stephen Wisniewski

61 San Diego (from NYJ) Sam Acho

62 Chicago Clint Boling

63 Pittsburgh Ras-I Dowling

64 Green Bay Jarvis Jenkins

Round 3

65 Carolina Drake Nevis

66 Cincinnati James Carpenter

67 Denver Daniel Thomas

68 Buffalo Quan Sturdivant

69 Arizona Ben Ijilana

70 Cleveland Chimdi Chekwa

71 Dallas Marcus Gilbert

72 New Orleans (from Washington) Dontay Moch

73 Houston Kenrick Ellis

74 New England (From Minnesota) Jerrel Jernigan

75 Detroit Randall Cobb

76 San Francisco Shane Vereen

77 Tennessee Mason Foster

78 St. Louis Jerrell Casey

79 Miami Ricky Stanzi

80 Jacksonville Quinton Carter

81 Oakland Orlando Franklin

82 San Diego Edmond Gates

83 New York Giants Will Rackley

84 Tampa Bay Brandon Burton

85 Philadelphia Greg Jones

86 Kansas City Greg Little

87 Indianapolis Tandon Doss

88 New Orleans James Brewer

89 San Diego (from Seattle) Tyler Sash

90 Baltimore Jalil Brown

91 Atlanta Chris Carter

92 New England Kelvin Sheppard

93 Chicago Colin McCarthy

94 NY Jets Rashad Carmichael

95 Pittsburgh Jason Pinkston

96 Green Bay Demarco Murray

97* Carolina (Comp Pick) Pernell McPhee

Round 4

98 Carolina Lawrence Guy

99 Seattle (from Denver) Sione Fua

100 Buffalo Luke Stocker

101 Cincinnati KJ Wright

102 Cleveland Greg Romeus

103 Arizona Austin Pettis

104 Philadelphia (From Wash) Kendall Hunter

105 Houston Terrell McClain

106 Minnesota Johnny Patrick

107 Detroit Curtis Marsh

108 San Francisco Shareece Wright

109 Tennessee Nate Irving

110 Dallas Marcus Gilchrist

111 Miami Niles Paul

112 St. Louis Virgil Green

113 Oakland Lee Ziemba

114 Jacksonville Greg Salas

115 San Francisco (From SD) Charles Clay

116 Tampa Bay Jon Moffitt

117 New York Giants Jordan Todman

118 Kansas City Jerrell Powe

119 Indianapolis Buster Skrine

120 Philadelphia Lance Kendricks

121 Jacksonville (From NO) Dwayne Harris

122 Buffalo (from Seattle) Joseph Barksdale

123 Baltimore Casey Matthews

124 Atlanta DJ Williams

125 New England Jacquizz Rodgers

126 NY Jets Robert Sands

127 Chicago Ahmad Black

128 Pittsburgh Stephen Schilling

129 Green Bay DVD

*130 Tennessee (Comp Pick) Pierre Allen

*131 Green Bay (Comp Pick) Mark Herzlich

Round 5

132 Carolina Kendrick Burney

133 Buffalo Owen Marecic

134 Cincinnati Cliff Matthews

135 Kansas City (From Denver) Brandon Fusco

136 Arizona Chris Conte

137 Cleveland Ross Homan

138 Houston Brandon Hogan

139 Minnesota Ian Williams

140 Kansas City (From Detroit) Ron Johnson

141 San Francisco Cecil Shorts

142 Tennessee Kris Odowd

143 Dallas Chris Hairston

144 Washington Mario Fannin

145 St. Louis Roy Helo

146 Miami Jaiquan

147 Jacksonville Chykie Brown

148 Oakland Terrance Toliver

149 Philadelphia Lawrence Wilson

150 Minnesota (from SD) martin parker

151 Tampa Bay jah reid

152 Detroit Delone Carter

153 Indianapolis Zach Hurd

154 Philadelphia Chris Culliver

155 Washington (New Orleans) Brian Stingley

156 Seattle Pat Devlin

157 Seattle (From Balt) Demarcus Love

158 Atlanta Jeremy Kirley

159 New England Bruce Miller

160 Chicago Taiwan Jones

161 NY Jets Joe Lefeged

162 Pittsburgh Chris Neild

163 Green Bay David Arkin

164* Baltimore Deunta Williams

165* Baltimore Denarius Moore

Lol. And have ya SEEN his 10 yard? JUST like 'ol Clay.

I've seen both players up close. Clay Matthews was pretty good at senior bowl. Not amazing but pretty good. Cushing and Mauluga were also there that year... and most liked Cush the best. Matthews didn't rush all that much, but when he did it was great.

Brooks Reed also played great in Mobile. He beat the pants off some very good prospects including Sherrod and Solder. His explosion was surprising and hard to forget.

I dont think they are similar players. Reed is stronger and bulkier. He knocks guys back with a bull rush and has a spin not much else. Matthews is smoother and a little faster... more of a crafty pass rusher with more moves. It should also be noted Von Miller did things I didn't think linebackers could do. He might be my #1 prospect in the whole draft. A few years ago saw Lamarr Woodley too and he was awful that week. It sometimes takes time for these guys to develop fully.

Archived