Jaiquawn Jarret

BigL

I think the Jets'll hit the safety position hard in free agency. No way they go into next season with another place-holder like Brodney Pool or Eric Smith starting for them, and with Jim Leonhard's injury being a question mark (and, let's be real, other than calling the signals, Leonhard doesn't do dick back there anyway.) This might be the year Rex takes a chance and moves in some more dynamic talent back there. He might give up a few more big pass plays, but if he gets a few more picks and a few more intimidation hits across the middle by his safeties it might be worth it. Go get some hammers. Question is, what does this roster look like after the FA feeding frenzy that's about to take place once the CBA is signed? If it doesn't go the Jets' way, they may need to burn that third rounder for a safety.

Jarrett can certainly play, but comparing him to the late Sean Taylor is nothing short of ridiculous. Dude was like 3 inches taller, 30 pounds heavier, notably faster, and about twice the ballhawk in a superior conference coming out of college. Essentially if you could dream up any safety you wanted as a prospect, he was going be a hell of a lot like Taylor. Jarrett would be an interesting option in the 4th round if he's around at that point, think he has some limitations but they'd be masked. A guy like Robert Sands intrigues me playing next to Leonhard though as I think they'd complement each other rather well, and Deunta Williams is a guy I think might fall a bit in the draft and would be a good value and a decent fit.

Jarrett can certainly play, but comparing him to the late Sean Taylor is nothing short of ridiculous. Dude was like 3 inches taller, 30 pounds heavier, notably faster, and about twice the ballhawk in a superior conference coming out of college. Essentially if you could dream up any safety you wanted as a prospect, he was going be a hell of a lot like Taylor. Jarrett would be an interesting option in the 4th round if he's around at that point, think he has some limitations but they'd be masked. A guy like Robert Sands intrigues me playing next to Leonhard though as I think they'd complement each other rather well, and Deunta Williams is a guy I think might fall a bit in the draft and would be a good value and a decent fit.

I think you took the Sean Taylor reference a little to literally. I was talking about the way he hits from the safety position, they both basically blast running backs backward on contact. I think the man would fit great in Rex's defense.

I think you took the Sean Taylor reference a little to literally. I was talking about the way he hits from the safety position, they both basically blast running backs backward on contact. I think the man would fit great in Rex's defense.

Fair enough, when you make a reference like that and then say he'll be one of the top safeties in the NFL in a few years the implication is it's a pretty literal comparison unless you specify otherwise...either way, Jarrett's playing against MAC competition most of the time, even a couple FCS players in highlights. At his size it's probably questionable how well that'll translate to the NFL, but stylistically he probably is a good fit as you said.

Archived