• DE/LB Brooks Reed, Arizona
    • DE Allen Bailey, Miami
    • CB Brandon Harris, Miami
    • CB Aaron Williams, Texas
    • FS Rahim Moore, UCLA
    • DE Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh
    • Other - state in thread

just did my final mock draft haven't published it

historically my best years predicting the draft is when i construct the board to "Screw the Jets"

that's to say make every pick with the idea that it makes Tanny and the war room cringe

there's no happy time scenario where the perfect player falls. that's not how life works for the Jets.

in this projection 4 QBs go in rd1... which is good for the Jets

but the following Jets targets were off the board by 30:

Kerrigan (11 to HOU)

A Smith (13 to DET)

Cam Jordan (16 to JAC)

Justin Houston (18 to SD)

Jimmy Smith (25 to SEA)

Cam Heyward (26 to BAL)

Akeem Ayers (27 to ATL)

Gabe Carimi (28 to NE)

Mo Wilkerson (29 to CHI)

that left about three possible players on my board for NYJ:

Brooks Reed

Phil Taylor

Martez Wilson

with other long shot names like Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Jabaal Sheard, Rahim Moore.

Final projection time, who do you take?

I would take Reed but they would take Martez Wilson. looking at his workout numbers he should be a first rounder based on that alone. 250 pounders running 4.4 and jumping 36" vert are rare.

I think Tannenbaum would draft a guy based solely on his measurables, but everything you read suggests that Wilson is soft and less than instinctive--Rex wouldn't go for it. Rex doesn't seem to be that hung up on 40 times. I don't think he's ever even coached a linebacker that ran better than a high 4.7, either here or in Baltimore.

Taylor

Harris

Baldwin

Williams

Moore

Sheard

Reed

Reed @ 30 = Draft suicide. I'd take Taylor and if Sherrod is there he'd have to be up for consideration.

Reed has fallen off the table on a lot of mocks recently. I think he was a Red Herring that teams were using to try and bait other teams into overdrafting. It's funny--I just looked at a draft magazine published back before the combine and it had Reed going in the sixth round. That same mag, a few years ago, had Gholston going in the third. Funny how a good Combine performance can inflate even the most dubious prospect.

When I see Wilson play, I don't see those shortcomings. It's something people say because they heard other people say it.

You can call it whatever term you want, but I had the distinct displeasure of watching plenty of Illini football, and the term I would use to describe Wilson is "unimpressive."

My brain just ******* exploded.

here are some other pet peeves

"no instincts"

what is this the ******* animal channel? he can react when a polar bear shows up all hungry? Wtf are instincts? like a baby Ray Lewis was linebacking out of the womb?

"doesn't like contact"

He's playing football... as opposed to baseball or studying in the library. But he hates contact? Like a dude who attaches battery packs to his nipples would be an ideal prospect. This ****er loves pain! let's draft him!

"stiff on film"

the dude runs a 3 cone faster than most running backs but he can't change direction during the games... m'kay.

"no instincts"

what is this the ******* animal channel? he can react when a polar bear shows up all hungry? Wtf are instincts? like a baby Ray Lewis was linebacking out of the womb?

"doesn't like contact"

He's playing football... as opposed to baseball or studying in the library. But he hates contact? Like a dude who attaches battery packs to his nipples would be an ideal prospect. This ****er loves pain! let's draft him!

"stiff on film"

the dude runs a 3 cone faster than most running backs but he can't change direction during the games... m'kay.

Are we still talking about Gholston here?

"no instincts"

"doesn't like contact"

"stiff on film"

I don't think Wilson looks stiff on film. However, if the angles he takes aren't the product of bad instincts or a glass jaw then the dude has freaking vertigo or something.

I don't think Wilson looks stiff on film. However, if the angles he takes aren't the product of bad instincts or a glass jaw then the dude has freaking vertigo or something.

Im at the point where theres about 10 or 12 names I'd be pleased with at 30. the idea of a 2nd round reach has to fade away. If we like Brooks Reed, Jabaal Sheard, Martez Wilson at 40 or 50 they are just about the same value at 30. they aren't gonna get a Von Miller at 30, if they stick and make the pick every single prospect will have flaws...

Archived