Bart Scott Named 29th Best Player in the NFL

flgreen

New York Jets Linebacker Bart Scott Named the NFL’s 29th Best Player of 2010

Posted by Jon Presser

May 4, 2011

Some people think that New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott talks too much and doesn’t back up his talk on the field.

There are even some reporters who constantly spout off on Twitter that they think Scott is merely an average player and should give back some of his salary, which is ludicrous of course.

Now granted, Scott is not a 100 tackle guy. We know he’s an enormous leader to the Jets in the locker room. But the traditional stats simply do not do Scott justice when it comes to his value to the Jets team on the field.

That’s why I was pleased to see Scott ranked so high on Pro Football Focus’s list of the top 101 players of 2010.

29. Bart Scott, LB, New York Jets

It’s interesting that Scott’s inferior partner David Harris gets more of the plaudits, because the former Raven may just be one of the best defenders in the league to watch. A lot of people who don’t like Scott look at his rather pedestrian stats and point to them as a reason he’s an average player. Well Scott is so much more than numbers. He’s as physical a linebacker there is and attacks the run so much so that he simply doesn’t allow runners to go where they’re meant to. You’d be surprised how many times you watch a Jet make a play, only for the replay to show you Scott allowed them to make that play.

Bart Scott is one of the league’s most underrated players, and even with a big season last year he’s still not appreciated by many NFL fans, which is a shame. There aren’t many guys willing to do the dirty work as it is, and even fewer who can do it as well as Scott can.

Ok so explain this one....

70. D’Brickashaw Ferguson, LT, New York Jets

When you draft a left tackle, above all else, you want him to be a sound enough technician that he doesn’t surrender a lot of pressure. While Ferguson isn’t the complete package (he rarely imposes himself when the Jets run,) he performs his primary function with aplomb. He did have some issues with Mario Williams and Antonio Smith, but you can excuse that, given the greater body of his work.

Best Performance: Week 4 at Buffalo (+3.9)

Key Stat: Had five perfect games in pass protection.

27. Kareem McKenzie, RT, New York Giants

Sometimes right tackles seemed to get ignored in all the hoopla of “franchise left tackles.” But, as McKenzie did for the Giants, they play an important role, particularly in what they do in the run game. In that respect, there wasn’t a better tackle in the league that McKenzie, who may be getting older, but isn’t on the decline just yet. What people don’t often see about his game is how sound a pass protector he is, giving up just two sacks all year (both of which came in week 2).

Best Performance: Week 9 at Seattle (+4.9)

Key Stat: Missed 15 snaps all year

I have to say I just looked at the list and it is absolute garbage. I mean I hate him as much as anybody on this board but Tom Brady at 33?

Here is a link to numbers 21-40

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/04/the-top-101-players-of-2010-no-40-%E2%80%93-no-21/

Garbage!

You're right. That is complete garbage. Brady shouldn't even be top 50. :D

I like Scott, but calling David Harris inferior is a bit silly. Not too long ago there was an article (NY Post I think) calling Bart Scott the most overrated player in NY (including Giants). I never really thought he was over rated, but it's good to see him featured in some kind of list like this. If he's on the list then Mangold, Revis, Dabrickshaw, and Harris should all be in the top 20 portion, which I can't find on there. What a disorganized site.

You're right. That is complete garbage. Brady shouldn't even be top 50. :D

I like Scott, but calling David Harris inferior is a bit silly. Not too long ago there was an article (NY Post I think) calling Bart Scott the most overrated player in NY (including Giants). I never really thought he was over rated, but it's good to see him featured in some kind of list like this. If he's on the list then Mangold, Revis, Dabrickshaw, and Harris should all be in the top 20 portion, which I can't find on there. What a disorganized site.

Anything you read in the Post should be taken with a grain of "holy sh*t why am I reading this trash".

Anyhoo, I <3 Bart Scott.

Kareem McKenzie did his best to single handedly lose the Giants a game. The only thing that stopped him was that 21 of his teammates stepped in and helped. He lost his mind and had to be benched. They were talking about firing Coughlin because of his implosion. If he were perfect in every other game he still should be rated below D'Brick. I assume that those ratings are based on some kind of percentage of "doing what you were supposed to" on each play. That would explain RTs and ILBs being rated ahead of LTs and QBs.

If i ran a website i would do stupid lists like this all day long.....the shock value of having Bart Scott rated higher than Tom Brady has to increase page clicks by 30%-40% at least.

I had to click on the site to see it for myself....cha-ching for the site owner.

36. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders

No cornerback is more feared in the NFL than Asomugha. It’s the kind of fear that feeds on itself and seems to manifest as a recycling process. Player doesn’t give up much, so teams don’t throw at him. Teams don’t throw at him so player doesn’t give up much. And so on. That’s a bit simplistic, but what isn’t is the fact that Asomugha only gave up 185 yards all season. Some cornerbacks might give that up in a single game. You may not want to visit Revis Island, but teams also hate trying to play ‘Scrabble’.

Best Performance: Week 6 at San Francisco (+2.6)

Key Stat: There were eight games this year in which Asomugha wasn’t thrown at once.

#36? really?

Guest Jpf4671

This must be the same formula that rated David wright as the best player in MLB a couple years back

Archived