Tim Graham: Will Plax end up with the Jets?

flgreen

Will Plaxico Burress end up with Jets?

May, 13, 2011

May 13

2:42

PM ET

By Tim Graham

On his ESPN Insider blog, the lead item in Adam Schefter's mailbag deals with a big name possibly landing with the New York Jets after the lockout.

Burress

Burress

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress is scheduled to be released from prison in less than four weeks, and Schefter writes circumstances could lead the Jets to bring Burress aboard.

A couple of months ago, I broke down how interested the AFC East might be in Burress and rated the Jets the most likely destination among the four clubs.

The Jets have three receivers with expired contracts: Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Brad Smith.

The Jets drafted TCU receiver Jeremy Kerley in the fifth round and Colorado receiver Scotty McKnight in the seventh round, but players taken so late provide no guarantees. In fact, they take time to develop and usually don't provide an impact.

Burress would and could be worth a short-term contract. He'll turn 34 years old in August and certainly will need to knock off some rust. He hasn't played since November 2008.

I would love to see Plax wind up with the Jets. It’s not as unlikely as it seems. If you remember before Plax went to prison the Jets made in inquiry about him. I think they might still be interested.

Why not? If he can get in shape

I think/hope that under any circumstances Cotchery for sure is on the team. Don’t forget that he is recovering from back surgery. That is not a good thing for a guy who makes his living over the middle.

I really hope he has a full recovery, and is back 100% this season, but he is a question mark at the moment. The lock out isn’t helping

Fl-

I remember that he had back surgery. I guess I am just optomistic about his recovery. The catch he made while pulling his groin muscle last just cemented by respect for the guy. A guy I do not want to forget in our discussions about receivers.

Agree 100%. I love the guy. Your right, that was a sensational catch considering the pain he was in.

I hope they sign Edwards, trade Holmes (If the RFA stands) Cotchery recovers. I’d like to see them give Plax a shot to see if he can even play. If he can let Cotchery and Plax rotate as the second WR depending on the circumstances, and hope the new guy can play the slot.

I really don’t want to sign Holmes long term. Not because he isn’t a good receiver, but because I don’t think he has a chance of fulfilling a 5 year contract with out another pot bust costing him a year, and throwing the team into chaos

Agree 100%. I love the guy. Your right, that was a sensational catch considering the pain he was in.

I hope they sign Edwards, trade Holmes (If the RFA stands) Cotchery recovers. I’d like to see them give Plax a shot to see if he can even play. If he can let Cotchery and Plax rotate as the second WR depending on the circumstances, and hope the new guy can play the slot.

I really don’t want to sign Holmes long term. Not because he isn’t a good receiver, but because I don’t think he has a chance of fulfilling a 5 year contract with out another pot bust costing him a year, and throwing the team into chaos

[/quo

I would like to have Holmes back because it requires defenses to account for two number really good receivers. I.e. double one at your own risk.... The problem is that would be cost prohibitive unless they both give us a discount on the price. Seeing as Holmes has a ring he has no motivation to give the jets a home team discount. Edwards wants to be a jet and really wants win and appears to be willing to give us a price break. Not scared about the Pot issues, I think he has learned his lesson. In sum, if we can afford both, then absolutely bring back holmes.

Archived