Supplemental draft to take place in July

Scott Dierking

An NFL official tells ESPN's Adam Schefter that the supplemental draft will be held sometime in July, as usual, provided their are applicants.

"So far, there have been no applicants," the official said. "If there is one, the supplemental draft would be held mid-to-late July, no later than 10 days before the first training camp opens." According to ESPN's Joe Schad, it's now "very much in doubt" that Terrell Pryor will play for Ohio State in 2011. Ex-Florida CB Janoris Jenkins and Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd are also candidates for the supplemental draft.

Source: ESPN.com May 31, 1:22 PM

An NFL official tells ESPN's Adam Schefter that the supplemental draft will be held sometime in July, as usual, provided their are applicants.

"So far, there have been no applicants," the official said. "If there is one, the supplemental draft would be held mid-to-late July, no later than 10 days before the first training camp opens." According to ESPN's Joe Schad, it's now "very much in doubt" that Terrell Pryor will play for Ohio State in 2011. Ex-Florida CB Janoris Jenkins and Notre Dame WR Michael Floyd are also candidates for the supplemental draft.

Source: ESPN.com May 31, 1:22 PM

Training camp opens- that is optimistic

Floyd I love as a player.

On another note, either shut down Division 1 athletics completely or figure it out- football and basketball.

It will never be figured out. It is what it is, and that is athletes playing for an education, while the universities gather billions. That is the way it has always been, and the way it will always be.

It will never be figured out. It is what it is, and that is athletes playing for an education, while the universities gather billions. That is the way it has always been, and the way it will always be.

If the answer is "it is what it is" then let the "student athletes" sell their sh*t and get their tattoos.

Pryor was allowed to play in the bowl game which was just comical on so many levels.

If the answer is "it is what it is" then let the "student athletes" sell their sh*t and get their tattoos.

Pryor was allowed to play in the bowl game which was just comical on so many levels.

It was the height of hypocrisy to allow those players to play in the Bowl game.

It was not "their" stuff to sell.

It was the height of hypocrisy to allow those players to play in the Bowl game.

It was not "their" stuff to sell.

Give OSU the death penalty then and maybe that will change things.

Either way though, these kids are going to get what people are willing to hand out. And most of these kids are coming from nothing so its hard to be critical of a kid taking $100 dollar handshakes.

Pryor driving around a fleet of cars though, I mean you need to have some sense.

Ohio State got caught. Its quite evident throughtout the NCAA this is goes on everywhere.

There is NO evidence that it goes on everywhere. SHow that evidence.

Tressel's largest crime was the attempted cover-up.

The NCAA will forgive certain acts. Lying to them and covering up is not tolerated. He knew that

The NCAA will forgive certain acts. Lying to them and covering up is not tolerated. He knew that

Every major D1 program does this stuff on some level with their basketball and football programs.

Look around the NCAA. College athletes all tattoed up and wearing bling. How does a student who plays football have time to work to earn money for those things? Wake the **** up already!

Give OSU the death penalty then and maybe that will change things.

Either way though, these kids are going to get what people are willing to hand out. And most of these kids are coming from nothing so its hard to be critical of a kid taking $100 dollar handshakes.

Pryor driving around a fleet of cars though, I mean you need to have some sense.

When you flaunt things, that is when you get caught.

It is the programs that allow it to excess, and then try to cover their trails that ultimately get busted.

You can't eliminate it, but if you can keep it under control, advise your kids, and OPEN UP WHEN YOU DOP WRONG, then the NCAA will work with you. They are looking for transparency. When you are not transparent, it means you have something to hide, which Tressel did.

Look around the NCAA. College athletes all tattoed up and wearing bling. How does a student who plays football have time to work to earn money for those things? Wake the **** up already!

That is not evidence.

Evidence means you have something concrete.

I see quite a few college kids with tats and silly jewelry who are not football players.

To each his own. But that does not mean that they stole it.

That is not evidence.

Evidence means you have something concrete.

I see quite a few college kids with tats and silly jewelry who are not football players.

To each his own. But that does not mean that they stole it.

Alot of those atheletes are on full ride scholarships, many dont have 2 nickels to rub together. Many come from the slums. Yet they live in off campus townhouses filled with luxury drive fancy cars and have tatoos and bling. Yet you deny any wrong doing? You argue just to read your rant I think.

Alot of those atheletes are on full ride scholarships, many dont have 2 nickels to rub together. Many come from the slums. Yet they live in off campus townhouses filled with luxury drive fancy cars and have tatoos and bling. Yet you deny any wrong doing? You argue just to read your rant I think.

That isnt true. Not every athlete is given this type of stuff. It depends how good you are.

But like I said earlier, I have a hard time killing a kid for taking things when they barely can buy a new shirt.

Pryor was just a moron.

That isnt true. Not every athlete is given this type of stuff. It depends how good you are.

But like I said earlier, I have a hard time killing a kid for taking things when they barely can buy a new shirt.

Pryor was just a moron.

Agreed the better athletes get all the perks. It starts in high school. Ive seen it first hand.

There were MANY football players that I knew at PSU that came from better means that I did. Many DID NOT come from slums.

They get scholarships because of there athleticism, not financial hardships.

You say you evidence-Hardly.

There were MANY football players that I knew at PSU that came from better means that I did. Many DID NOT come from slums.

They get scholarships because of there athleticism, not financial hardships.

You say you evidence-Hardly.

Some schools choose not to recruit that demographic...see Duke basketball.

I dont know how Penn St goes about it or the overall demographic of their football program. I'd say they've given certain things to certain players.

Some schools choose not to recruit that demographic...see Duke basketball.

I dont know how Penn St goes about it or the overall demographic of their football program. I'd say they've given certain things to certain players.

I have no knowledge, nor did any players tell me they received benefits (nor, probably, would they).

PSU recruits to you being a scholar athlete. You have to go to school, you have to maintain grades, or you get suspended from the team. I would see them in class Mondays after games.

Do they get benefits-I would guess they do. Is the program aware-I don't think so. PSU has self reported itself on a number of petty, yet illegal recruiting tactics.

And therein lies the rub-Do you cooperate or do you conduct your program in a shroud. Tressel did his in a shroud.

I am sure there are many PSU's out there to the OSUs. Are they all perfect? Of course not. But many programs look to operate within bounds of what they can control. Everyone is not the old SWC.

I have no knowledge, nor did any players tell me they received benefits (nor, probably, would they).

PSU recruits to you being a scholar athlete. You have to go to school, you have to maintain grades, or you get suspended from the team. I would see them in class Mondays after games.

Do they get benefits-I would guess they do. Is the program aware-I don't think so. PSU has self reported itself on a number of petty, yet illegal recruiting tactics.

And therein lies the rub-Do you cooperate or do you conduct your program in a shroud. Tressel did his in a shroud.

I am sure there are many PSU's out there to the OSUs. Are they all perfect? Of course not. But many programs look to operate within bounds of what they can control. Everyone is not the old SWC.

Right, but that also limits PSU in who the can recruit...which is why they struggle against teams with speed(most of the BIg 10 does for that matter). A lot of guys in the SEC can barely read.

Notre Dame cant compete anymore because of their academic standards.

On another note, either shut down Division 1 athletics completely or figure it out- football and basketball.

From everyone involved in college sports that I speak too, the biggest problem is that the NCAA neither has the resources, or motive, to clean up their sports. They're making billions, and get huge media and advertising deals on bowl games and ncaa tourney etc etc... As long as the fans tolerate it enough to keep spending money watching, then there's no real incentive for the NCAA to change things. Its even worse than pro sports in that regard because many fans of college sports root mainly for alma maters, and its highly unlikely that these alma maters will stop following their teams, regardless of how 'dirty' the game is. And im not even going into the stupid rules the NBA and NFL have about minimum age requirements, which only really make the NCAA more of a business... But, as has been said, it is what it is....not expecting much to change in my lifetime at least.

Right, but that also limits PSU in who the can recruit...which is why they struggle against teams with speed(most of the BIg 10 does for that matter). A lot of guys in the SEC can barely read.

It is not speed that presents problem for PSU (they have fast athletes), they have gotten worn down by the likes of Ohio State. OSU has beaten them in the trenches. They match up athletes fairly well.

That said, this is not about athletes and how athletic they are, but programs and whether they routinely cheat. They all do not routinely cheat. Yes, some do, but that does not make them all guilty.

It is not speed that presents problem for PSU (they have fast athletes), they have gotten worn down by the likes of Ohio State. OSU has beaten them in the trenches. They match up athletes fairly well.

That said, this is not about athletes and how athletic they are, but programs and whether they routinely cheat. They all do not routinely cheat. Yes, some do, but that does not make them all guilty.

OSU struggles against the SEC schools too.

If you're going to treat football players as students(which the SEC does not aside from Vandy and a few others) then you're not going to be a national power.

Lets be honest here though, the best Division 1 athletes are there for sports not an education.

Whooooaaaa bud, I went to PSU as well so I have to interject. The football players housing is way beyond anything that a standard student can find in dorm living. I also clearly remember seeing Curtis Enis walking around all the time with a mouth full of gold teeth and bling all over him. While I agree that PSU isn't as corrupt as most schools, they do get away with a decent amount of corruption as well. Difference is there ain't a chance in hell that the NCAA tarnishes Joe Paterno's or the NCAA's legacy by exposing any of it.

Whooooaaaa bud, I went to PSU as well so I have to interject. The football players housing is way beyond anything that a standard student can find in dorm living. I also clearly remember seeing Curtis Enis walking around all the time with a mouth full of gold teeth and bling all over him. While I agree that PSU isn't as corrupt as most schools, they do get away with a decent amount of corruption as well. Difference is there ain't a chance in hell that the NCAA tarnishes Joe Paterno's or the NCAA's legacy by exposing any of it.

:lol:

What a bum that dude was.

And now that you mention him....I guarantee you Larry Johnson was seeing something on the side.

It is not illegal to give football players different "accommodations of housing" for players to live in.

I can not speak to any players' standards or means. All I can speak to is that PSU self reports when they know there is a problem, from what I know. If you know of specific NCAA infractions that have not been reported, let's hear them.

Do I expect them to be perfect? Of course not. Are they the standard for everyone else? Of course not. But there are programs that try to abide.

:lol:

What a bum that dude was.

And now that you mention him....I guarantee you Larry Johnson was seeing something on the side.

Larry Johnson's dad was (and is) an assistant coach at PSU. He was from State College and you would have to believe that he was pretty straight and narrow.

He earned his way into Paterno's doghouse a few times due to some comments, but I don't recall him being ever investigated for things.

It is easy to throw out dispersions, it seems, based on what we dont know.

The problem is the NCAA lumps the likes of Big 10 and Big 12 (which ironically, the Big 10 has 12 teams, and the Big 12 will have 10) together with those in the Mountain West and lesser conferences. Ohio State can afford to pay players. Some of the small D1 schools can't.

It's time for their to be a super D1 conference in the big sports that can operate with their own rules. I'd like to see the Big 10(12), Big 12(10), ACC, SEC, Pac 12, and maybe 1 other conference be that Super D1, and have the 6 conference winners + 2 at large make the playoffs. At this point, the academic argument against a playoff goes out the window as these players are being paid..

The problem is the NCAA lumps the likes of Big 10 and Big 12 (which ironically, the Big 10 has 12 teams, and the Big 12 will have 10) together with those in the Mountain West and lesser conferences. Ohio State can afford to pay players. Some of the small D1 schools can't.

It's time for their to be a super D1 conference in the big sports that can operate with their own rules. I'd like to see the Big 10(12), Big 12(10), ACC, SEC, Pac 12, and maybe 1 other conference be that Super D1, and have the 6 conference winners + 2 at large make the playoffs. At this point, the academic argument against a playoff goes out the window as these players are being paid..

Pretty much....division 1 athletes in season at major schools don't have time to be going to class for the most part.

There is a different standard for student athletes at every program. I can tell you, its extremely hard to get into UF these days. Their academic standards for non-student athletes is very high for a public school. I cant speak for all SEC schools, but I know for a fact the UF is a tough school to get into...and so are couple of others schools in the SEC.

The running joke in my High School was, if you cant get into Florida, go to Florida State (who ironically at that time was still a power house). The interesting thing about this dynamic is that when Florida started to raise their bar for academics, their athletic programs got good, really good.

Dont know what that means but to say teams cant compete because of academics IMO isnt true in all cases.

Archived