RIP John Mackey

faba

Colts Hall of Famer John Mackey dies

2 hours ago

BALTIMORE (AP) — John Mackey, a Hall of Fame former player for the Baltimore Colts who had battled with dementia, has died. He was 69.

Chad Steele, a spokesman for the Baltimore Ravens, said Thursday that Mackey's wife had notified the team about her husband's death.

Mackey played for the Baltimore Colts from 1963 to 1971. He also played for the San Diego Chargers in 1972. He caught 331 passes for 5,236 yards and 38 touchdowns in a 10-season career.

A NFL labor agreement ratified in 2006 includes the so-called ``88 plan,'' named for Mackey's number, 88. It provides up to $88,000 a year for nursing care or day care for ex-players with dementia or Alzheimer's disease, or $50,000 for home care.

I remember reading a story about him a few years ago that went into the details of his dementia. The one thing he remembered vividly were his playing days, so to deal with his refusal to wash his hands and brush his teeth, his wife resorted to putting up a sign on the door stating it was NFL policy and even signed it 'Paul Tagliabue'.

There was another time when, at an airport, TSA requested he remove his SB ring to go through the magnetometer, but he refused, convinced that they were trying to steal them. Instead, he made a break for the gate, re-living the 75-yd TD he scored in the Super Bowl, which was another detail he never forgot.

It's horrible to watch a loved one's mind deteriorate, even more so when they're otherwise healthy. RIP.

While his numbers pale in comparison to today's receiving greats, Mackey was a legend in his time.

I'll always have the image of his grace and power, as will many of us older fans.

What happened to him later in life was tragic and should stand out to today's players as to the importance of taking care of your predecessors.

RIP, John.

I remember reading a story about him a few years ago that went into the details of his dementia. The one thing he remembered vividly were his playing days, so to deal with his refusal to wash his hands and brush his teeth, his wife resorted to putting up a sign on the door stating it was NFL policy and even signed it 'Paul Tagliabue'.

There was another time when, at an airport, TSA requested he remove his SB ring to go through the magnetometer, but he refused, convinced that they were trying to steal them. Instead, he made a break for the gate, re-living the 75-yd TD he scored in the Super Bowl, which was another detail he never forgot.

It's horrible to watch a loved one's mind deteriorate, even more so when they're otherwise healthy. RIP.

yeah that was a sporting news article... you hear about all the money these guys make, especially in these lockout "who is greedier" threads but all the money in the world isn't worth jack squat if your brain is mush and your memory is toast. obviously these guys are starting to know the risks and use their free will to make a decision to play... but the fact remains being an NFL player has long term ramifications and those guys earn every penny they make. it's hazard pay.

I had the opportunity to see Mackey play in person at the old Baltimore Memorial Stadium and catch a couple of TD passes from Johnny U in a game against the Bears and Dick Butkus. Now there's a cast of greats! RIP John...you were something special.

I had the opportunity to see Mackey play in person at the old Baltimore Memorial Stadium and catch a couple of TD passes from Johnny U in a game against the Bears and Dick Butkus. Now there's a cast of greats! RIP John...you were something special.

No doubt, RIP, 88.

Archived