Potential Cap Casualties

Klecko73isGod

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

This one jumped out at me:

8. Washington Redskins DT Albert Haynesworth: It's hard to believe the Redskins can save cap room by releasing or trading him after he signed a $100 million contract a couple of seasons ago. But they can save $3.4 million. Owner Daniel Snyder gave him a $21 million bonus last year to free up cap room for this season.

Exactly how bad is Daniel Snyder at owning a professional football team?

Cap situations*

Team Status

Arizona $37.3 million under

Atlanta $13.9 million under

Baltimore $5.33 million under

Buffalo $35.9 million under

Carolina $30.6 million under

Chicago $37. million under

Cincinnati $35.9 million under

Cleveland $33.3 million under

Dallas $18.9 million over

Denver $1 million under

Detroit $16.6 million under

Green Bay $62,600 under

Houston $7.6 million under

Indianapolis $2.7 million over

Jacksonville $31.4 million under

Kansas City $34.3 million under

Miami $13.6 million under

Minnesota $5.1 million over

New England $7.57 million under

New Orleans $11.7 million under

N.Y. Giants $11.3 million over

N.Y. Jets $1.2 million over

Oakland $10 million over

Philadelphia $13 million under

Pittsburgh $10 million over

San Diego $19.4 million under

San Francisco $19.4 million under

Seattle $39 million under

St. Louis $35.6 million under

Tampa Bay $59.2 million under

Tennessee $10.3 million under

Washington $10.6 million under

*Does not include restricted free-agent tenders.

I found this to be the most interesting thing. I'm curious as to what these numbers are based on and including, as I've see a few different variations, and I know Jason had said the Jets should be under (albeit slightly) the cap. Although I'll tell you what, the Giants and Cowboys have some serious moves to make in those 3 days if this is at all accurate. You also have to wonder what some of these teams are thinking, as with the exception of the Chiefs and Bucs (almost $60 million under? holy sh*t), the teams with the lowest salary numbers are all amongst the worst in the league. Teams like the Bills, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals and Panthers can cry all the want as they dwell the bottom of the league endlessly, but it's nobody's fault but their own that they can't be bothered shelling out the cash to make their teams competitive.

I found this to be the most interesting thing. I'm curious as to what these numbers are based on and including, as I've see a few different variations, and I know Jason had said the Jets should be under (albeit slightly) the cap. Although I'll tell you what, the Giants and Cowboys have some serious moves to make in those 3 days if this is at all accurate. You also have to wonder what some of these teams are thinking, as with the exception of the Chiefs and Bucs (almost $60 million under? holy sh*t), the teams with the lowest salary numbers are all amongst the worst in the league. Teams like the Bills, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals and Panthers can cry all the want as they dwell the bottom of the league endlessly, but it's nobody's fault but their own that they can't be bothered shelling out the cash to make their teams competitive.

I'd trust Jason's numbers ahead of most. He has a much better track record than most bloggers.

Also, look how many teams are currently $30+ million under. They have no choice but to add $25+ million in payroll, starting next week. We're going to see some ridiculous contracts handed out.

No kidding. I want to know what the Bucs are going to do. That's an absolutely obscene amount of money they have to spend. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to sign any player in the league they want and outbid anyone else by a mile.

I'm waiting to have this new salary cap completely explained to me. :lol: Something about real dollars being spent as opposed to the fake(?) dollars that counted in previous years? I read one article that said a $120M cap under the new rules will feel like a $130M cap under the new rules. What does that mean?

I feel pretty good about the accountant we have in charge to navigate it fairly successfully.

Oh, and those teams at the bottom who have to now spend 90%-95% of the cap in any given year? They've got some work cut out for them, too.

Also, look how many teams are currently $30+ million under. They have no choice but to add $25+ million in payroll, starting next week. We're going to see some ridiculous contracts handed out.

Haha! ninja'd!

It's also another reason why I think guys like Holmes and Cromartie who have made a point of wanting to test the market and go to the highest bidder are going to be extremely tough for the Jets to keep. Although I have no doubt the Jets prefer Holmes, it's the reason I think there's a good chance they end up with Edwards anyway. Tanny has been known to work some magic, but the fact is there's a lot of teams out there who will have to find ways to spend far more money than they even want to, and that could mean some ridiculous contracts getting handed out.

Jets are over the cap, with a host of core URFA's to sign or positions to fill, including WR#1, WR#2, WR#4/KR, P, K, MLB, CB #2.

Thats not, IMO, a great place to start. Hopefully, Tanny & Co. have a number of moves they can make to VERY quickly get us back under, and some room to work with for signing some of our guys.

But right now, as the news stands, I would not be terribly optimistic given where we stand. Alot of talent to lose, very little money to retain them with.

All that, in a year where a number of teams will find themselves 30-40 million below the Salary Minimum Floor, and required by years end to get up to it at the least. Thats alot of money to sign our guys if they wish, and if we don;t get them wrapped up in our exclusivity period.

Following this offseason you would think the Jets were the ones with the biggest cap problems but if you look at that list, the Giants and Cowboys have it WAY worse than us. WAY worse. Wow... $11 m over? The Giants are about to get slaughtered.

I think the reason it was a bigger deal for the Jets is because of our cap number along with the fact that we have some very good players unsigned to boot. I dont know who the gmen or cowboys have as UFAs but it aint thier #1, #2 and #4 recievers.

As stated, I find it hard to believe that a few hundred million dollars have to be spent, collectively, by some of these under the cap teams and yet Holmes,BE and Cro wont be signed. I am reserved to the fact that our defense will be strong, running game punishing and that Tanny will have us some competent receivers to keep teams honest.

Jets are over the cap, with a host of core URFA's to sign or positions to fill, including WR#1, WR#2, WR#4/KR, P, K, MLB, CB #2.

Thats not, IMO, a great place to start. Hopefully, Tanny & Co. have a number of moves they can make to VERY quickly get us back under, and some room to work with for signing some of our guys.

But right now, as the news stands, I would not be terribly optimistic given where we stand. Alot of talent to lose, very little money to retain them with.

All that, in a year where a number of teams will find themselves 30-40 million below the Salary Minimum Floor, and required by years end to get up to it at the least. Thats alot of money to sign our guys if they wish, and if we don;t get them wrapped up in our exclusivity period.

^^^^^^NINJA!!!!

I've never been happier to have an accountant as my GM than right at this moment. :yes:

I've never been happier to have an accountant as my GM than right at this moment. :yes:

Agreed.

Tanny has been quality over the years making deals (Revis nonwithstanding) and managing the cap. I have faith in his talents.

Just not the best starting point, but thats to be expected from a two-time post-season runner-up challenger.

The numbers include dead money, workout bonuses, and franchise tags along with the usual stuff. I Dont have the franchise or dead money included since both are complete unknowns until the new CBA details are actually released. None of these guys know any details of that. My favorite report of today actually came from Mike and Mike who had on Schefter. Schefter usually comes on to throw out all kinds of hyperbole to talk about the NFL "inside" and threw out a comment about how "there are issues in the new CBA that the players will not be happy with and may not vote for". The usual grave sounding stuff. So Greenberg then asks him "well what are those issues" and the guy was dumfounded as they clearly went off script there by asking for something specific. His response was "I dont know but someone said that some players might not be happy".

The numbers include dead money, workout bonuses, and franchise tags along with the usual stuff. I Dont have the franchise or dead money included since both are complete unknowns until the new CBA details are actually released. None of these guys know any details of that. My favorite report of today actually came from Mike and Mike who had on Schefter. Schefter usually comes on to throw out all kinds of hyperbole to talk about the NFL "inside" and threw out a comment about how "there are issues in the new CBA that the players will not be happy with and may not vote for". The usual grave sounding stuff. So Greenberg then asks him "well what are those issues" and the guy was dumfounded as they clearly went off script there by asking for something specific. His response was "I dont know but someone said that some players might not be happy".

Schefter is a tool.

Made the huge mistake of signing on to Twitter again to follow the reports. You're exactly right--every reporter is standing in the hotel lobby literally guessing as to what's going on inside the meeting rooms. it's actually quite sad to watch. Journalism, 2011.

Made the huge mistake of signing on to Twitter again to follow the reports. You're exactly right--every reporter is standing in the hotel lobby literally guessing as to what's going on inside the meeting rooms. it's actually quite sad to watch. Journalism, 2011.

I think most of the media guys are so worried about being scooped by a blogger that they have sunk to these levels. Id actually rather hear a guy simply say "we dont know" and write about something else than just do these crazy gloom and doom ("The owners are so locked in that they are willing to sit out not just 1 but 2 years and create armageddon") or ultra positive ("I can just smell the football in the air and it smells good")reports with minimal basis in anything.

Guest Jpf4671

One team to watch is San Diego.

They're already pretty good, and they are 19.4 million under the cap.

Yea but unfortunately for them their head coach is not leaving as a free agent so they're screwed

I think most of the media guys are so worried about being scooped by a blogger that they have sunk to these levels. Id actually rather hear a guy simply say "we dont know" and write about something else than just do these crazy gloom and doom ("The owners are so locked in that they are willing to sit out not just 1 but 2 years and create armageddon") or ultra positive ("I can just smell the football in the air and it smells good")reports with minimal basis in anything.

100% agreed. Yesterday morning, it was "all but done," then it was "no news coming out of the players meeting yet--Uh oh!" to "Kevin Mawae said its going to be WEEKS" to "OMG Brian Dawkins is LEAVING" to "There will be NO vote todayyyyyy!" Then, Jim Trotter said there WAS a vote, which sent every reporter reeling and essentially RTing each other from the restaurants they were in at the time to express their confusion. Total mess.

Archived