Sources: Deal to end lockout reached

GreenBeans

http://espn.go.com/n...nts-sources-say

The NFL's players association and owners groups have reached agreement on the remaining points needed in their 10-year labor deal, sources from both sides said.

Despite the fact the new deal will require a majority vote from the players, a deal between the two sides is considered a formality, according to sources.

The NFLPA is making plans for a major press conference Monday. But first the player reps are scheduled to fly to Washington, D.C., on Sunday so they can vote Monday.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith knows his executive committee, his players reps and the rest of his constituents well enough to know how they will vote.

Plus, no CBA has ever been turned down by the players when approved by leadership.

Summary of NFLPA's Negotiated Points

A 25-page power point summary of details the NFLPA presented of the CBA negotiated through Wednesday, all of which remain in the current pending deal. PDF

The executive committee members and the individual team player reps are perhaps the most informed and involved group that any team sport has seen in recent years.

Many of these players were a part of the CBA process back in 2006, providing them the knowledge and experience they used in these talks.

Once the players ratify the deal, training camp and free agency are likely to begin the same day, in what would be the equivalent of merging Thanksgiving and Christmas into one holiday.

By rule, training camp can't start until the new league year does.

Major breakthroughs in Saturday discussions set up the timetable for the resolution to the 130-day lockout.

Owners tentatively agreed to a players-recommended plan for the NFLPA to bring players into team facilities starting as early as Wednesday to physically vote on whether to recertify the current trade association as a union, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

The plan calls for the players' executive committee to meet in Washington, D.C., on Monday, a move that, according to a high-ranking NFLPA official, was not communicated to the NFLPA executive committee until Saturday morning via phone.

If all agreements have been reached by then, the executive committee is expected to vote to recommend the CBA and recommend recertifying itself as a union, according to the source. Following that, a recommendation has to be made by the 32 player representatives.

If the executive committee accepts the new CBA, players from certain teams would be allowed to report to training camps on Wednesday and players from other teams will be asked to report to training camps Friday, a source said. The hope from both sides is there are enough votes to recertify the union by as early as Friday.

For that to happen, a 50-percent-plus-one-vote majority of the players have to accept the NFLPA as its union and accept the terms of a CBA.

The NFL announced Thursday it would open its doors to players under contract two days after the NFLPA executive committee accepts the CBA and settlement terms from existing lawsuits. The league also said that free agency would start the day after the union is recertified.

Therefore, under this tentative schedule for recertification, the pre-league year buffer period could start Wednesday.

Under that scenario, teams could potentially open contract talks with their own unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents and draft choices Wednesday. However, no contracts could be signed until July 30 at the earliest. In that scenario, teams would also be able to renegotiate contracts with players from their own team starting as early as Wednesday.

Upon recertification of the union, free agency could start Saturday at 2 p.m. ET and rosters would be allowed to expand to 90 players.

It is still uncertain when teams would be able to sign undrafted free agents.

It was vital for the NFLPA to have enough time for recertification and have a period of time for the renewed union to work out final details of its benefit plans.

Only a union can negotiate benefits for its members and the NFLPA feared a Tuesday deadline to recertify would not leave enough time to properly negotiate changes in the benefits packages. Under terms of the owners' agreement from Thursday, players would have reverted back to the 2010 benefits plan if they didn't make adjustments within a certain time period.

Much of the confidence in Monday's vote is due in part to the continued working relationship between Smith and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, a source said. The pair have been working with each other directly as the sides near an agreement and continued to do so through the weekend to ensure the remaining issues were resolved, according to a source.

Smith, a source said, has pledged to Goodell that he will also expedite the remaining issues before the first preseason game is played, creating optimism that those games will not be canceled. In that vein, Smith has personally taken on much of the work on the actual CBA-related documents, with his legal team, including NFLPA lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, assisting.

According to the source, Smith took on this responsibility as a show of good faith, because the NFL's management council executive committee had been skeptical due to its prior experience with Kessler as legal counsel.

As talks progressed Saturday, the sides removed one roadblock while moving the dial on another.

A league source said San Diego Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, one of the 10 named plaintiffs in the players' antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, is now willing to release his claim without compensation, meaning no money or lifting of the franchise tag. Jackson was the last of the 10 named plaintiffs unwilling to drop his claim.

The sides also got closer to settling the $4 billion network television insurance case, according to a source. That case, which is in the court of U.S. District Judge David Doty in Minneapolis, involved damages suffered by the players after Judge Doty ruled against the owners.

Dear PSL Owners,

Getcha checkbooks ready.

Signed,

Da Woodman

There's an intern or 3 somewhere in Florham Park waking up next to several postal meters who have been awaiting The Word for about 3 weeks.

FWIW nothing changed for people who financed PSL's... irrelevant.

Actually it isn't. Many people, myself included, have a payment due on 8/1 if camp is open.

Since I am on vacation and out of money I was hoping for one more week of lockout action. :)

Actually it isn't. Many people, myself included, have a payment due on 8/1 if camp is open.

Since I am on vacation and out of money I was hoping for one more week of lockout action. :)

That is for your tickets, not PSL. Right?

I could be wrong of course... but that is what I heard.

@SI_PeterKing

Peter King

I'm hearing the likely final CBA will have an opt-out provision not for one side, but for both.

4 minutes ago via TweetDeck.

so much for ten years of labor peace SMH. Well 7 is better than nothing .Why does it feel like the fans always get the shaft?

@AlbertBreer

Albert Breer

Players want opt-out, in part b/c owners had it in last deal. Owners argue more $$ for all w/o opt-out b/c stability helps in TV talks, etc.

Cant say I blame them. 10 years is a long time and this deal seems pretty pro-owner. Putting an opt out in, though, will make the players run the risk of losing more in the event things change again and the NFL decides salaries are escalating too quickly.

That is for your tickets, not PSL. Right?

I could be wrong of course... but that is what I heard.

You are wrong but that isn't anything new. :D

It is for both tickets and PSL. They get paid together and the final payment is due in August...

It is for both tickets and PSL. They get paid together and the final payment is due in August...

Write the check...Twitter says:

Jay Glazer - According to terms, timeline sooner than previously reported. Facilities open Tues, camp starts Thurs for 10 teams, Fri for 10, wkend for 12

Jay Glazer - I said I wouldn't jump in til they agreed... They've FINALLY agreed! Sources say 2 sides this hour FINALLY agree to terms of new CBA.

:D

Cant say I blame them. 10 years is a long time and this deal seems pretty pro-owner. Putting an opt out in, though, will make the players run the risk of losing more in the event things change again and the NFL decides salaries are escalating too quickly.

Just curious, what about the deal seems pro-owner? The take of club-generated revenues? It looks like the players got a lot of concessions in exchange for that, no?

Glazer says deal is done, barring an “unforeseen obstacle”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2011, 7:33 AM EDT

AP

Jay Glazer, a/k/a The Groundhog, is back.

With only one prior report regarding the status of CBA talks (Glazer broke the news of a De Smith conference call in which the NFLPA* executive director told a group of elite players that a deal isn’t close, which amounted to Glazer seeing his shadow and predicting six more weeks of labor unrest), FOX’s Jay Glazer says that, in the wee hours of Monday morning, the league and the players agreed to terms on a new labor deal.

But Glazer also acknowledges that the players still must approve the deal, which would come after the NFLPA* Executive Committee and the board of player representatives recommend its acceptance.

Given the ups and downs and highs and lows of the past several weeks, we’re not going to regard the deal as done until it’s done. On Sunday, we were told that the class action filed by Hall of Fame defensive end Carl Eller and other retired players on behalf of all retired players could still screw this thing up, given the plaintiffs’ new position that they no longer want the NFLPA* negotiating the benefits to be made available to retired players.

Indeed, Glazer acknowledges that “[t]here is still a chance that some unforeseen obstacle can somehow stall the agreement again, although that now seems unlikely.” That “unforeseen obstacle” could be the foreseen interference of Eller and company.

Thus, the cork is staying in the champagne on this one until it’s all official.

Glazer also reports that facilities will open as early as Tuesday, that training camp will open for 10 teams Thursday, another 10 teams Friday, and the final 12 over the weekend. Free agency, per Glazer, could start as early as Friday or Saturday.

We’ve got our fingers crossed for Friday, since we don’t want PFT Planet to have to follow the free-agency frenzy on their non-work time.

Glazer’s report fills in none of the gaps regarding the terms that were open as of Sunday, most notably the presence of an opt-out provision that could shorten the agreement from 10 to seven years.

Finally!

After years, months, weeks and days of haggling over all the details of a new collective bargaining agreement, the NFLPA and NFL finally came to an agreement on terms in the wee hours of Monday morning, FOXSports.com has learned.

The NFLPA player representatives and players still must vote to approve it, but at this point it appears a formality.

Sources within the negotiations told FOXSports.com that under the new agreement, the schedule will be different than originally reported. Under the new terms, team facilities will open as early as Tuesday and training camps will begin Thursday for 10 teams, Friday for another 10 and over the weekend for the remaining 12 teams.

Monday's meeting could be beginning of the end of NFL lockout. What happens next? AJ Perez answers a few questions.

There is still a chance that some unforeseen obstacle somehow can stall the agreement again, although that now seems unlikely.

Players will begin arriving at team facilities Tuesday to vote to recertify the NFLPA as a union. Once they do, they can negotiate terms for the league’s drug programs, player discipline fines, workers comp, etc.

For months there have been reports surfacing that a deal was close to completion, only to be false. Fans have hung on report after report hoping for a new deal and for pro football to return. It appears the NFL will be back without any games except the Hall of Fame Game being canceled.

Well mine were separate, and I was told that is the only way to do it. PSL's started and finished earlier this year and I just have two ticket payments left.

Archived