Osi Available (For 2nd Round Pick?) - MERGED

visajets

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric Mangini has three rings.

Rings as an assistant mean nothing.

Rex hasn't won squat other than maybe an occasional hot dog eating contest.

I'm not sure any poster has so quickly jumped into the ranks of complete ******* moron as an overall consensus from the site as quickly you have. Congratulations.

Do you fully understand the game of football? Have you ever watched a Rex Ryan defense attack an opposing offense? I truthfuly believe you are arguing this just for the mere sake of arguing. If only you wold "just think" before you post. :angry:

Tell me honestly if you believe Rex wouldnt make Osi work here.

Just so I'm clear -you suggested playing osi at nt, and think I'm the one who doesn't understand football?

Everyone knows the most important stat for a NT is sacks.

Made all the more important by how rare they are for NT's. It's a conundrum.

Again Rex could line him up anywhere. ;)

Maybe he could replace Braylon!

I'm not sure any poster has so quickly jumped into the ranks of complete ******* moron as an overall consensus from the site as quickly you have. Congratulations.

C'mon now man, it's a God given gift. Kind of like the "unmeasurables" in a QB.

Charlie Burke didn't do bad either. Give credit where credit is due

The problem with that is the Jets run a different defense now.

Pass rushers aren't supposed to come from the DE spot in a 3-4..they are supposed to come from the OLB's.

Totally understood no argument. Wasnt JT a DE and converted to an OLB? Rex could work him into our system and schemes which arent always the usual 3-4. This isnt Vernon Gholston.

Pace has come the closest of anyone on the jets roster since JAbe departure. But still JAbe was injured so much that we never had a solid contributor year in and out for a while. If only their were more Demarcus Wares in the NFL.

Interesting Parcells drafted both JAbe and Ware.

Totally understood no argument. Wasnt JT a DE and converted to an OLB? Rex could work him into our system and schemes which arent always the usual 3-4. This isnt Vernon Gholston.

Yeah..I just don't know if Osi is the athlete (can't believe i'm praising him) that JT is/was.

And I don't think it's worth giving up a 1st..or any high pick for that matter to find out.

Which do you consider a superior defense, the 3-4 or the 4-3?

I don't know..they both have their strengths and weaknesses..it depends on the players on the field.

When Mangini installed the 3-4..we didn't have the players to employ that defense.

With Rex..now in his 3rd year..I think he has in place who he wants and what he wants..so in Rex I trust!

Figures :rolleyes:

What figures? The Jets were 8th in the league is sacks. A monster 8 sacks difference behind the league leading Steelers.

Pass rush isnt an issue. Fans that like to have talking points but really dont know what they are watching complain about sacks.

Rex D is all about pressure, when QB's prepare for the Jets, its all about getting the ball out early. I'm sure if you asked QB's around the league, they feel under fire all game long against the Jets.

What figures? The Jets were 8th in the league is sacks. A monster 8 sacks difference behind the league leading Steelers.

Pass rush isnt an issue. Fans that like to have talking points but really dont know what they are watching complain about sacks.

Rex D is all about pressure, when QB's prepare for the Jets, its all about getting the ball out early. I'm sure if you asked QB's around the league, they feel under fire all game long against the Jets.

A pass rush is the same as pressure on the QB when hes back to pass. If we only had a legit pass rush against Big Ben that crisp cold Sunday afternoon in Pittsburgh :rolleyes:

I don't know..they both have their strengths and weaknesses..it depends on the players on the field.

When Mangini installed the 3-4..we didn't have the players to employ that defense.

With Rex..now in his 3rd year..I think he has in place who he wants and what he wants..so in Rex I trust!

I've always been uncomfortable with the 3-4.

I think under perfect circumstances it's a superior defense. But, I think it puts too much pressure on one player - the nose tackle. In the 3-4, the nose tackle HAS to occupy 2 offensive linemen on EVERY play. To me, that's just too much of a burden for one player to take on. The human body isn't meant to take that kind of beating for 20 weeks a year - especially at 350 pounds, which is the minimum weight you need to be an effective nose tackle in the NFL. I've always felt that if you want to run an effective 3-4 scheme in the NFL, you really need TWO dominant nose tackles that you can rotate in and out. And those guys just aren't out there.

If I was an NFL nose tackle, I'd demand to be the highest paid player on the team...but that's a topic for another thread.

Bottom line is, I'd like to think Rex is smart enough to mold his defense to take advantage of the strengths of his personnel. And, Osi would be an upgrade over anyone we have as a pass rusher.

So, my philosophy would be to bring in the best talent possible, then mold the gameplan to maximize the talents of the players you have.

All that said, Osi is not coming to the Jets. He and his agent are grossly overvaluing his worth.

A pass rush is the same as pressure on the QB when hes back to pass. If we only had a legit pass rush against Big Ben that crisp cold Sunday afternoon in Pittsburgh :rolleyes:

If you know that a pass rush is the same a pressuring the QB, then what you are complaining about? Do you know what the word "contradiction" means?

And I love how you used the AFCCG as an example...because we played the league sack leading team in the Steelers. Guess how many sacks they had against us? 2. Guess how many we had against them? 2. And we had Big Ben flushed out of the pocket quite a bit once we shut down the run. They didnt score in the 2nd half.

I've always been uncomfortable with the 3-4.

I think under perfect circumstances it's a superior defense. But, I think it puts too much pressure on one player - the nose tackle. In the 3-4, the nose tackle HAS to occupy 2 offensive linemen on EVERY play. To me, that's just too much of a burden for one player to take on. The human body isn't meant to take that kind of beating for 20 weeks a year - especially at 350 pounds, which is the minimum weight you need to be an effective nose tackle in the NFL. I've always felt that if you want to run an effective 3-4 scheme in the NFL, you really need TWO dominant nose tackles that you can rotate in and out. And those guys just aren't out there.

If I was an NFL nose tackle, I'd demand to be the highest paid player on the team...but that's a topic for another thread.

Bottom line is, I'd like to think Rex is smart enough to mold his defense to take advantage of the strengths of his personnel. And, Osi would be an upgrade over anyone we have as a pass rusher.

So, my philosophy would be to bring in the best talent possible, then mold the gameplan to maximize the talents of the players you have.

All that said, Osi is not coming to the Jets. He and his agent are grossly overvaluing his worth.

Agreed, but never say never when Rex is steering the ship and Tanne is fueling it.

Archived