Kerley Most Impressive Skill Position Player In First Pads Session

flgreen

35 catches. That would be a nice season for Kerley. It would be a fine year. I don't think it's crazy to expect that out of him if he has a good camp. If he has a sh*tty camp and nobody else steps up I will expect them to pick up somebody else. Either a FA or a last round cut. I think they will carry more WR than last year and without Smith I will expect more mix and match for the game day roster.

On second thought that might be a lot for this team, but I don't think it would be crazy. I would change to hope for, not expect.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing to keep in mind there is that Kerley comes from LT's Alma mater. Sometimes these guys get a little clique-y with with their college brethren.

But I'm looking forward to seeing this kid in the preseason, too.

Good point Slats. Several of the Scribes, on their own observation have written him up. Will he bring it to the games? Hopefully

I love camp, and the preseason. Every year the fans fall in love with certain unknown players. Some of them become good players, most don't, but it's really enjoyable hoping. :)

I couldn't have suffered through all these years of being a Jets fan with out hope.

Jets are a really good team now. I'm going to enjoy it

These are great points.

The thing that I think Powell has going for him is that he was it in college. He was their offense. He can catch out of the backfield too. Team would key in on stopping him...and they couldnt.

Steal of the draft, I've been saying it for a while...just wait, kid can play.

yup. Jets drafted this kid cause they KNEW they were NOT going to bring Brad Smith back. Brad's fate sealed on draft day.

He is a rook, so growing pains., BUT, he can throw better, he can definitly catch better than Smith (who was never able to become a everydown WR) and I think he has comparable return skills.

Yeah I'm really excited about Kerley, like "flgreen" mentioned, it's nice to have hope going into the preseason and camp instead of the SOJ mentality. It's been a long time since I've really been excited to see a rookie WR play...and that goes with any team, but that's mostly because all the promising ones are playing for other teams lol.

I really want to see him lining up with the offense this season, not just on S/T.

I know it's just a "hunch," and hunches mean sh*t, but I've got a good feeling about this guy. I think we may finally have a breakout, bona-fide, quality star-type player who's gonna turn some heads in this league right out of college.

I realize he hasn't played a down yet, but that why it's just a "long suffering Jet fan hoping hunch."

I'm really looking forward to seeing this preseason game and can't wait for Monday August 15th to come. Pretty cool I'm guaranteed to see the game too since it's a nationally televised ESPN game. Too bad though it wasn't being played in Jersey instead of Houston. Actually I'm interested in how The Texans will look this season also. I actually picked them to win their division this year, with The Colts only getting a wildcard. :rolleyes:

yup. Jets drafted this kid cause they KNEW they were NOT going to bring Brad Smith back. Brad's fate sealed on draft day.

He is a rook, so growing pains., BUT, he can throw better, he can definitly catch better than Smith (who was never able to become a everydown WR) and I think he has comparable return skills.

Can he? Really? I mean, Smith was a pretty decent college QB...

The fact that Westoff has him as his starting punt returner already is pretty amazing. We'll see if he can hold the job in live action, but that was pretty impressive.

I hope he's not here for his wildcat prowess, but rather to play a legit #3 WR. I thought the Jets had the guys to cover all of Smith's duties already in place before the draft, but this kid looks like he'll be picking up most of that slack and more. Smith never returned punts, nor was he ever much of a WR.

I see no reason why the Jets can't have a 5th round pick "start" in the slot. Not if undrafted WR's like Wayne Chrebet or Marques Colston can catch 66 or 70 passes as starting rookies. Why can't a 5th rounder replace Cotchery's 41 catches?

The fact that Westoff has him as his starting punt returner already is pretty amazing. We'll see if he can hold the job in live action, but that was pretty impressive.

I hope he's not here for his wildcat prowess, but rather to play a legit #3 WR. I thought the Jets had the guys to cover all of Smith's duties already in place before the draft, but this kid looks like he'll be picking up most of that slack and more. Smith never returned punts, nor was he ever much of a WR.

I see no reason why the Jets can't have a 5th round pick "start" in the slot. Not if undrafted WR's like Wayne Chrebet or Marques Colston can catch 66 or 70 passes as starting rookies. Why can't a 5th rounder replace Cotchery's 41 catches?

If you look at the Jets drafts the past few years, while the primary focus is always the guy's play at his position, the Jets seem to really like to use those other abilities as tie-breakers in terms of who they go after. You always hear the Jets talking about the additional abilities the guys bring to special teams and things like that after the draft. In the case of Kerley, I have no doubt the main reason he's here is his abilities as a slot receiver, and so far that's getting verified in camp, but the Jets are also more than happy to have his contributions on ST and have even said they see him as a guy who they can use in that Wildcat role, along with Joe McKnight. Those are the two guys I really think you'll see split up all of Smith's jobs this year with both guys working on the return team (I think there's a good chance Kerley ends up the PR but McKnight the KR), McKnight already stepped up as a gunner last year and they can both get under center on offense.

The huddle report usually has some solid evaluations and they liked him alot...quick but not fast...compared him to a slower Steve Smith (Panthers)...especially dangerous in the slot and on specials...good to hear he is having an impact in his first training camp...

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2011.Profiles/Jeremy.Kerley.htm

If you look at the Jets drafts the past few years, while the primary focus is always the guy's play at his position, the Jets seem to really like to use those other abilities as tie-breakers in terms of who they go after. You always hear the Jets talking about the additional abilities the guys bring to special teams and things like that after the draft. In the case of Kerley, I have no doubt the main reason he's here is his abilities as a slot receiver, and so far that's getting verified in camp, but the Jets are also more than happy to have his contributions on ST and have even said they see him as a guy who they can use in that Wildcat role, along with Joe McKnight. Those are the two guys I really think you'll see split up all of Smith's jobs this year with both guys working on the return team (I think there's a good chance Kerley ends up the PR but McKnight the KR), McKnight already stepped up as a gunner last year and they can both get under center on offense.

I disagree. I think with Kerley the Jets were specifically looking to replace Smith. They knew that worst case they wouldn't be getting Smith AND Holmes back. Kerley gives them a guy who can fill those roles. I'm not saying they would expect him to put up Holmes production, but that he would be capable of running similar routes successfully. I think they have been doing that in their drafts, Wilson in case of the Revis holdout, Ducasse so they could cut the overpriced Faneca, Conner in case Richardson retires. For that reason I think that Kerley's return ability was considered as a major part of his job description.

I read article that said he was a high school qb and threw some inb college out of wildcat and threw well. Brad threw poor;ly in college, was mainly a run guy and even in predrafyt , experts said his throwing will not allow him to play qb in NFL. so , maybe we are at miinimum a wash for passing skills

Saw Kerley changed his number to 11 so Mason can wear 85, wonder if this number change opens up Kerley to be used as the #3 QB on gameday rosters, since there is a new rule allowing the 3rd QB to play anytime in the game without penalty prior to the 4th quarter.

I read article that said he was a high school qb and threw some inb college out of wildcat and threw well. Brad threw poor;ly in college, was mainly a run guy and even in predrafyt , experts said his throwing will not allow him to play qb in NFL. so , maybe we are at miinimum a wash for passing skills

Bottom line, I'm hoping Sanchez takes a giant leap forward in Year III, and that the wildcat BS is essentially phased out. Top QB's in this league don't leave the field so a wannabe WR can take a direct snap.

Looks like Westoff is going to have Kerley busy, but I'm hoping we see him at WR some this year. I'm almost disappointed that the Jets landed Mason. I'm excited to see this kid play.

Saw Kerley changed his number to 11 so Mason can wear 85, wonder if this number change opens up Kerley to be used as the #3 QB on gameday rosters, since there is a new rule allowing the 3rd QB to play anytime in the game without penalty prior to the 4th quarter.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they just changed the rule entirely that there is no longer a #3 QB rule, and it's simply an extra game day roster spot. The idea behind it is that yes, the team could use that extra spot for their 3rd QB, who could play at any time just like any other active player, but they certainly don't have to. Meaning that they could give that spot to a #3 QB, a #6 WR, a #4 TE or whatever the hell else they want. So it doesn't really matter where they list him, but just whether or not he's actually on the active game day roster.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they just changed the rule entirely that there is no longer a #3 QB rule, and it's simply an extra game day roster spot. The idea behind it is that yes, the team could use that extra spot for their 3rd QB, who could play at any time just like any other active player, but they certainly don't have to. Meaning that they could give that spot to a #3 QB, a #6 WR, a #4 TE or whatever the hell else they want. So it doesn't really matter where they list him, but just whether or not he's actually on the active game day roster.

You are correct.

Yea but the way I interpret the new rule is he still has to be LISTED as the 3rd QB meaning u have to wear a QB number, I could be wrong but I do know u can't list a gut wearing 15 as a LBer. The reason why Keyshawn Johnson was not allowed to wear 3.

Archived