Notes from Yesterday's Camp

Bleedin Green

There's also a story about Scotty McWhite with the link below if anyone feels like reading it, but I just included the practice notes parts below.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/SMcKnight-Soaking-In-the-WR-Ambience/e9bf2d6b-5a24-4045-a9c1-b4c804eef6d5

Wilson Continues to Improve

Kyle Wilson looks confident on defense. Wilson figures to be the third corner along with Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, a notion that excites Rex Ryan.

“Kyle Wilson looks pretty darn good,” said Ryan. “And we have those three corners for the next three years.”

Wilson is also among a triumvirate of Jets fielding punts. Second-year RB Joe McKnight and rookie WR Jeremy Kerley joined Wilson returning kicks. Noticeably missing has been safety Jim Leonhard, whom Ryan refuses to allow to return this season.

“You can go back and fair catch one,” Ryan joked about Leonhard.

Super Joe

Joe McKnight, the speedy Southern Cal product, has turned some heads early in camp. He has arrived in New Jersey in top condition, and it shows.

“Joe McKnight came a million miles and he’s ready to go,” said Ryan. “So we’re going to have some explosiveness out of him.”

His cuts are crisp and he has been drawing audible reactions from the crowd each time he touches the ball. He finished last season on a high note, carrying the ball 32 times for 158 yards in a Week 17 victory over the Buffalo Bills. If the dynamic, young back continues to develop, the Jets may have another weapon on offense.

Practice Notes

Scotty McKnight and Kerley both made beautiful leaping catches on fly routes down the right sideline from Sanchez. ... Today's closed practice was the first full-pads practice of camp. Many of the Jets' free agents, either newly arrived, signed or restructured, came out for the start of practice, then went back to the locker room due to some questions regarding the CBA being voted on this afternoon. When the players voted to ratify, the Jets vets came back out and most joined in the practice.

Ryan estimated that first-round rookie Mo Wilkerson and third-rounder Kenrick Ellis had "two or three sacks apiece" and added a large degree of size to the Jets' front D-line. ... Ryan also said he could count on the fact that OL Rob Turner "was going to be in the first fight of camp. I thought it would be day 2 but it was day 1." A handful of plays into the practice, Turner and Ellis skirmished.

Granted it needs to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt considering it's coming from newyorkjets.com, but if Wilson and Joe McKnight are really stepping up to the extent this sounds, that's absolutely great news for the Jets. Both guys have a variety of roles that they could fill for the Jets that could be a big boost for the team.

Also, I have to say I did think it was kind of cool that Ellis was the one that got into it with Turner. We all know Turner is the designated TC fighter, but it's always nice to see that extra fire coming out of some of these young guys. I'm definitely very excited to see the Jets two new young DL hit the field.

Granted it needs to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt considering it's coming from newyorkjets.com, but if Wilson and Joe McKnight are really stepping up to the extent this sounds, that's absolutely great news for the Jets. Both guys have a variety of roles that they could fill for the Jets that could be a big boost for the team.

Also, I have to say I did think it was kind of cool that Ellis was the one that got into it with Turner. We all know Turner is the designated TC fighter, but it's always nice to see that extra fire coming out of some of these young guys. I'm definitely very excited to see the Jets two new young DL hit the field.

Salt applied.

Still, I'm psyched about McKnight. I really thought he got a bad rap last year, and I'd love to see him explode into a larger role this year. This is a RB who's capable of lining up at WR, too, if needed.

The only way a team can really take leaps forward is by having draft picks produce. All of this, along with the early reports on Kerley, is good news.

Salt applied.

Still, I'm psyched about McKnight. I really thought he got a bad rap last year, and I'd love to see him explode into a larger role this year. This is a RB who's capable of lining up at WR, too, if needed.

The only way a team can really take leaps forward is by having draft picks produce. All of this, along with the early reports on Kerley, is good news.

Completely agreed, and I think you and I are the only ones who have felt that way this offseason. Frankly, we're agreeing a little too much for my liking this year. :-P

McKnight no doubt started off really shaky, but to this day I still say just the guy's emergence on special teams alone speaks volumes about the amount of work he put in to dig himself out of the team dog house to working his way into the good graces of Mike Westhoff of all people. We already knew the kind of coach he was, but Hard Knocks brought that to a whole new level, and you know he never would've put up with any crap from McKnight. And not only did he work himself on there, the guy was AWESOME as a gunner. That kind of work will go a long way. Plus, Bills or not, he definitely showed something in that game, while running behind the likes of Ducasse. Say what you want about the opposition, but behind a line filled with backups, he still ran for more yards against the Bills than anyone but Jammal Charles.

Designated Whiner:

Of course Wilson looked good. He's covering potheads, fossils and midgets!

Of course Scotty and Kerley made leaping catches. They are 5'4". They have to leap to catch anything!

Plus, Sanchez throws over all his receivers to DB's.

Salt applied.

Im psyced about McKnight as well. He really came on last year as the season went along, and Rex even said in his press conference the other day that he was thinking that he should have played him more during the playoffs.

While I liked Cotchery during his tenure with us, I fell as though Kerley and McKnight if used in the pasing game are an upgrade over him as they would add a more elusive/explosive element to the offense.

All very exciting news these kids are playing well. I was just watching NFL Net live at Jets camp and a short white hared guy was standing betweeen Sanchez and Plaxico :) I didnt know he was going to be involved in practices but it seems he is. :)

All of this is nonsense. Last year Bitonti said that Joe McKnight sucked and that he should be cut, and this report is clearly stating the opposite to be true.

Unless the possibility exists that he was wrong. Like he was with Matt Slausen, Vernon Gholston,Terrence Cody, and so many others that I'm too lazy to name.

Archived