top 5 fantasy QBs?

Blackout

As far as fantasy football QB's are concerned...

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

I left Vick out of the top 5, because last year was clearly a career year for #7. I can't pitcure Vick ever putting up those types of numbers again. Staying healthy is also a concern for a dual-threat QB.

I rank Brady so high, for the simple fact, Kevin Faulk is 35 years old coming off a season where he only carried the football 8 times. Sammy Morris is a career JAG at the age of 34. Green-Ellis had a career year last season, not because he's good, but because opposing D's had to key on Brady and their passing attack. This season, they'll feature Chad Johnson and Deion Branch on the outside, Wes Welker coming out of the slot, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski working the middle of the field, Danny Woodhead coming out of the backfield with Julian Edelman back from injury. Even Brandon Tate put up 400+ yards receiving last year. It'll be tough to stop their offense this year. I hate Brady and the Patriots as much as the next man, but I also respect Tom Brady as one of the greatest QB's I've ever seen play the game. This year? I look for the Patriots to pass, pass, pass and pass some more. I'm talking Brady dropping back 40 sometimes 50+ times per game. His numbers are going through the roof.

I'm expecting a monster season out of Matt Ryan. Last year he really came into his own as a 3rd year pro. The learning curve/growing pains are over, this kid has developed into an elite franchise QB with more to come. 357/571, 3,705 yards, 62.5 completion %, 28 TD's/9 INT's with a QB rating of 91.0 last season. He's not looking back.

I'm also taking Brees over Rivers this year. I refused to rank Philip Rivers as a top 5 QB this year. I just have a feeling we'll see a lot more of Ryan Mathews being used as a feature back this up coming season. He really impressed last year with only 158 rushing attempts... I look for Mathews to carry the work load, putting up at least 220 carries this season... In essence lowering the numbers of Rivers some what. Call me crazy, but I see a down year for Rivers. I'll bet the house he doesn't throw for 30+ TD's/4,500+ yards.

I rank Brady so high, for the simple fact, Kevin Faulk is 35 years old coming off a season where he only carried the football 8 times. Sammy Morris is a career JAG at the age of 34. Green-Ellis had a career year last season, not because he's good, but because opposing D's had to key on Brady and their passing attack. This season, they'll feature Chad Johnson and Deion Branch on the outside, Wes Welker coming out of the slot, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski working the middle of the field, Danny Woodhead coming out of the backfield with Julian Edelman back from injury. Even Brandon Tate put up 400+ yards receiving last year. It'll be tough to stop their offense this year. I hate Brady and the Patriots as much as the next man, but I also respect Tom Brady as one of the greatest QB's I've ever seen play the game. This year? I look for the Patriots to pass, pass, pass and pass some more. I'm talking Brady dropping back 40 sometimes 50+ times per game. His numbers are going through the roof.

I understand your reasoning. I just want to note that even in 2007, while setting all sorts of passing records, the Patriots passed 36 times per game (roughly 56% of the time). Last year was more balanced, with the Patriots passing 53% of the time, 32 snaps a game.

You're probably correct that Brady will still be a top fantasy QB, if for no other reason than when it is first and goal at the opponents' 3 yard line, the Pats are MUCH more likely to go for a passing TD than a rushing one.

Vick is the easy #1 and is virtually always the top QB off the boards. I see him going as high as #2 in some drafts, although #4 is more common and definitely before the end of the 1st round.

Rodgers is second. After those two who are 1st/2nd round talents, no other QB is worth a pick until maybe round 4 or 5.

Brees, Peyton and Rivers round out the 5.

For value pick, Romo is the only one worth drafting at his ADP, outside of Vick and maybe Rodgers. Vick gets so many more fantasy points than everyone else that he is an easy #1 QB. The chances of him not being #1 are about the same as Brady missing the entire year again from an injury.

The simple fact is that outside of the top 2 there is generally not enough difference between the QBs for it to matter. The rest of them will all probably get around 4k yards and 30 TDs. Brees might go off for 5k yards so move him up to #3 if you want, otherwise they're all pretty interchangeable.

Rodgers is also a running QB and that's why his fantasy totals are high. The usual setup is .25 for passing yards and .1 for rushing yards, that's how those two get so many points. Some leagues have a 4 pt passing TD vs 6 pt rushing TD, which adds up too. For leagues that give full credit to passing TDs, QB becomes a much more important position. For leagues that don't, they are not really that important.

1. Vick (he will rush for 600-1000 yards plus about 10 rushing TD's, only threw 6 picks last year)

2. Aaron Rodgers (weapons everywhere, and he extends the play and can also run with the ball when needed)

3. Drew Brees (they have upgraded everywhere on offense, most importantly the O-line, and replacing Bush with Sproles)

4. Phillip Rivers (he might even be higher, he gets his 2 big weapons back healthy for a whole year maybe)

5. Matthew Stafford (big IF here but IF he is healthy with that offense he will put up amazing numbers)

I left Tom Brady off because he has only been in the top 5 of fantasy QB,s points wise in 2 years in his career last year and in 2007.

I left Peyton Manning off because of the neck injury, last time he had an injury where he missed camp time, he came out slow in the regular season, and it kept his fantasy numbers down.

Just outside the top 5

Manning

Brady

E. Manning

M. Ryan

K. Kolb

M. Schaub

J. Freeman

B. Roethlisberger

1. Peyton Manning -- His performance last year with almost no receiving corps whatsoever was nothing short of remarkable. With a shortened offseason, no one is better suited to get his offense in gear in a hurry than Manning.

2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Phillip Rivers

4. Drew Brees

5. Michael Vick -- Even with the inevitable injury he's going to suffer as well as the Desean Jackson holdout possibility he's still valuable enough to make the top 5.

Honorable mention: Brady, Matt Ryan, Roethlisberger

Watch for Sam Bradford. Josh McDaniel is a bust as talent evaluator and head coach, but he made Kyle Orton into a top-ten fantasy qb. Bradford has more natural ability by far.

Top Five -

Vick - rushing stats put him at the top.

Rivers - Jackson is back for the whole year and two games against each of the other teams in the AFC West help a lot.

Rodgers - probably the least risky selection among the qb's

Brady - standard Brady year on the way

Brees - still not convinced they will run any more than they have in prior years

1. Vick (he will rush for 600-1000 yards plus about 10 rushing TD's, only threw 6 picks last year)

2. Aaron Rodgers (weapons everywhere, and he extends the play and can also run with the ball when needed)

3. Drew Brees (they have upgraded everywhere on offense, most importantly the O-line, and replacing Bush with Sproles)

4. Phillip Rivers (he might even be higher, he gets his 2 big weapons back healthy for a whole year maybe)

5. Matthew Stafford (big IF here but IF he is healthy with that offense he will put up amazing numbers)

I left Tom Brady off because he has only been in the top 5 of fantasy QB,s points wise in 2 years in his career last year and in 2007.

I left Peyton Manning off because of the neck injury, last time he had an injury where he missed camp time, he came out slow in the regular season, and it kept his fantasy numbers down.

Just outside the top 5

Manning

Brady

E. Manning

M. Ryan

K. Kolb

M. Schaub

J. Freeman

B. Roethlisberger

I don't see this happening and leaving out Peyton. Peyton year and year out has been a fantasy stud and definitely top 5. If he can get Collie back and Clark (even though Tamme stepped in just fine) he should have another solid year.

Talking strictly fantasy points, imo it's

Manning

Brady

Rivers

Brees

Rodgers

with Ryan a close 6th

I think Vick will get hurt or regress.

I'd put Rogers higher up on that list, but otherwise I agree with it. Although I miss the good old days when for some reason nobody gave Rivers any credit at all. For years I was drafting him well after a number of substantially worse QBs and it was an absolute steal every time, it was great.

As far as Vick, I'd say it's more likely that he gets hurt AND regresses.

I'd put Rogers higher up on that list, but otherwise I agree with it. Although I miss the good old days when for some reason nobody gave Rivers any credit at all. For years I was drafting him well after a number of substantially worse QBs and it was an absolute steal every time, it was great.

As far as Vick, I'd say it's more likely that he gets hurt AND regresses.

I'll be honest, I never liked Rivers until too late (for him to be a sleeper). I was a huge Brees fan and didn't like that the Chargers got rid of him so I guess I had a bias against Rivers from the start.

I'll be honest, I never liked Rivers until too late (for him to be a sleeper). I was a huge Brees fan and didn't like that the Chargers got rid of him so I guess I had a bias against Rivers from the start.

You definitely weren't alone in that regard. It also didn't help him that people just didn't like him as a person because they thought he was a douche. That said, I always used that to my advantage and it paid off for me for a number of years.

You definitely weren't alone in that regard. It also didn't help him that people just didn't like him as a person because they thought he was a douche. That said, I always used that to my advantage and it paid off for me for a number of years.

I thought he was a brat lol. And I'm usually pretty good at not letting extraneous stuff affect me in fantasy.

Archived