Three things Cimini learned Thursday

stoicsentry

Three things we learned Thursday

August, 11, 2011

Aug 11

12:34

AM ET

1. Quarterback play is crucial. As Mark Sanchez enters his third year in the NFL, the fate of the Jets franchise could depend on him. Let's say for example that he throws an average of three touchdown passes per game. Given the relative strength of this defense, it is likely the Jets will once again make the playoffs. If he continues that performance in the post-season, they could be serious super bowl contenders. However, if Sanchez throws an average of three interceptions per game, then you would have to bet that the Jets will lose a bunch of games and miss the playoffs.

2. Put up or shut up time for Big Rex. Ever since his arrival, coach Rex Ryan has been saying that his goal is to win a super bowl. If the Jets do not win a super bowl this year, that would mean that Ryan is a failure, as he did not reach his goal. In NFL circles, it is widely considered acceptable (or even preferred) to avoid winning the super bowl, just so long as it wasn't your goal. Like, let's say that you're Norv Turner: you can just keep hovering around .500 and most would look at you and say, "boy, Norv, you're doing a great job!" If Rex was smart, he would take a play out of Norv Turner's playbook and set his goal at "being a mildly competent team." Unfortunately, he has put all the pressure on himself by trying to win. So now he must do so.

3. Darelle Revis to start at corner. After several days of observation in camp, it's clear that former Pitt DB Darelle Revis is an excellent fit for the Jets at corner. He has struggled at times with bona fide stars such as slot receiver Jeremy Kerley. Nevertheless, he doesn't have the kind of height or frame I would personally want from my ends in a 3-4 system and there are questions about his ability to command double teams. Linebacker was a thought, at least in my mind, but then I realized that his best skills actually lie in coverage, and not so much in rushing the passer.

August, 11, 2011

Aug 11

AM ET

1. Quarterback play is crucial. As Mark Sanchez enters his third year in the NFL, the fate of the Jets franchise could depend on him. Let's say for example that he throws an average of three touchdown passes per game. Given the relative strength of this defense, it is likely the Jets will once again make the playoffs. If he continues that performance in the post-season, they could be serious super bowl contenders. However, if Sanchez throws an average of three interceptions per game, then you would have to bet that the Jets will lose a bunch of games and miss the playoffs.

2. Put up or shut up time for Big Rex. Ever since his arrival, coach Rex Ryan has been saying that his goal is to win a super bowl. If the Jets do not win a super bowl this year, that would mean that Ryan is a failure, as he did not reach his goal. In NFL circles, it is widely considered acceptable (or even preferred) to avoid winning the super bowl, just so long as it wasn't your goal. Like, let's say that you're Norv Turner: you can just keep hovering around .500 and most would look at you and say, "boy, Norv, you're doing a great job!" If Rex was smart, he would take a play out of Norv Turner's playbook and set his goal at "being a mildly competent team." Unfortunately, he has put all the pressure on himself by trying to win. So now he must do so.

3. Darelle Revis to start at corner. After several days of observation in camp, it's clear that former Pitt DB Darelle Revis is an excellent fit for the Jets at corner. He has struggled at times with bona fide stars such as slot receiver Jeremy Kerley. Nevertheless, he doesn't have the kind of height or frame I would personally want from my ends in a 3-4 system and there are questions about his ability to command double teams. Linebacker was a thought, at least in my mind, but then I realized that his best skills actually lie in coverage, and not so much in rushing the passer.

2 and 3 are too obvious. The first one actually reads like something Cimini would write.

August, 11, 2011

Aug 11

AM ET

Touchdonws better than pics? Damn who woulda thunk that.

Cimini is the worst. I was so happy to see him leave the NY Daily News but then upon hearing ESPN hired him I was blown away. HOw does anyone hire someone to cover a team he obv hates? screw you richie boy we all know u are a Pats fan at heart who is locked away in Belicheks basement during the offseason. ;)

2 and 3 are too obvious. The first one actually reads like something Cimini would write.

my thoughts exactly. by the time i got to three I knew for sure it was a fake. one was believable... retarded but believable :D

Cimini is the worst. I was so happy to see him leave the NY Daily News but then upon hearing ESPN hired him I was blown away. HOw does anyone hire someone to cover a team he obv hates? screw you richie boy we all know u are a Pats fan at heart who is locked away in Belicheks basement during the offseason. ;)

The same reason there are more threads on here about Fat Mike then there are about any other Sports guy except Cimini.

It makes the cash register ring

Archived