nj meadowlands

Headline - "Vick Makes a Push"

Observation Deck: New York Jets
August, 7, 2014
Aug 7
9:57
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Jets signed Michael Vick to "push" Geno Smith, according to the company line. He's pushing, all right. Vick sparked the starting offense to its only touchdown in a 13-10 win over the Indianapolis Colts Thursday night at MetLife Stadium. Vick, who replaced Smith in the second quarter, led a 14-play, 80-yard drive in his only series with the first team. Vick's performance doesn't change the quarterback dynamic -- Smith still is the frontrunner -- but he's definitely keeping the pressure on. The rest of the offense? Ugly. It actually faced a third-and-42.

Here are some other thoughts on the Jets' first preseason game:
  • Smith (4-for-6, 33 yards) didn't do anything to hurt his chances, but he also failed to lead the offense to a touchdown in his two series. Rex Ryan said he wanted to see some production, meaning touchdowns. Smith & Co. came away with a field goal. The offense had some problems in third-and-long situations, ultimately stalling its first two drives. Smith found Eric Decker twice, connected with Jeff Cumberland on a nice 11-yard completion over the middle and ran for 10 yards on a read-option -- the highlights. There weren't any lowlights (no turnovers), but Smith didn't grab the job by the throat.
  • It was vintage Vick. He ran a little, threw a little and brought energy to the offense. He scrambled for 15 yards on a third-and-9 and converted third- and fourth-down passes to Jace Amaro and Tommy Bohanon, respectively. As expected, Vick (3-for-6, 17 yards) looked comfortable in Marty Mornhinweg's offense, seeing the entire field and following his reads. Things fell apart in his second series, but it came behind the second-team line, which struggled in pass protection. In practice, Vick has received only 20 percent of the first-team reps. It'll be interesting to see if the split changes in Week 2 of the preseason. It shouldn't; Smith needs as much work as possible.
  • The Jets' running-back depth, one of the strengths of the team, may have taken a hit. Chris Ivory suffered a rib injury in the first half and didn't return. Bilal Powell still is nursing a hamstring injury, leaving Chris Johnson as the only healthy, proven back. In his Jets debut, Johnson looked a bit rusty, frankly. He dropped a pass as the third-down back and lacked burst, rushing for only two yards on four carries. The former 2,000-yard rusher scored on a 1-yard touchdown run, cutting back on an inside run -- his signature moment. There's no reason to be alarmed. Remember, he's only seven months removed from knee surgery. Truth be told, the entire rushing attack was stuck in quick sand.
  • Biggest question mark entering camp? Cornerback. After one game, it's a bigger question mark. Dimitri Patterson didn't make anyone forget Darrelle Revis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie or any of the other free-agent corners the Jets didn't sign. The well-traveled Patterson gave too much cushion on a couple of plays, allowed a 45-yard reception and was flagged for holding. This looms as a serious concern, considering the number of high-powered passing attacks on the early schedule. Dee Milliner played well, breaking up two pass plays, but you need more than one corner. Yes, the Jets are formidable up front, but opponents will spread them out and play dink-and-dunk. The first-team defense was shaky, allowing an 80-yard touchdown drive to the Colts' backups.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, because when a reporter reports that Geno was unremarkable and that Vick led a TD drive and made one good play and doesn't view everthing that happens with the team through your blind homer glasses, he must be an evil jerk out to make the Jets look bad or something. 

Not being a completely negative a$$hole does not equal being a homer. 

Anyone who is actually realistic about the state of the team is a negative a$$hole when you're a blind homer. 

Not true. 

There are plenty of guys here, myself included, who are critical of more than a few aspects of this team who manage to do it while remaining positive and hoping for improvement without resorting to acting like know-it-all assclowns. 

If you're a negative piece of sh*t then everyone who calls you on it must be a blind homer I guess. 

Not true. 

There are plenty of guys here, myself included, who are critical of more than a few aspects of this team who manage to do it while remaining positive and hoping for improvement without resorting to acting like know-it-all assclowns. 

If you're a negative piece of sh*t then everyone who calls you on it must be a blind homer I guess. 

LMAO hilarious. You're even more deluded about your posting than you are about the direction of the Jets. 

Just curious, how many years in a row do I need to be right about the direction about the team while you spew blind homerism for you to shut up? Or do you just have no shame about being wrong all the time?

LMAO hilarious. You're even more deluded about your posting than you are about the direction of the Jets. 

It only appears that way because I waste too much time on here trying to correct the inane ramblings of the negatively obsessed instead of posting my own direct opinions. 

Yes, because when a reporter reports that Geno was unremarkable and that Vick led a TD drive and made one good play and doesn't view everthing that happens with the team through your blind homer glasses, he must be an evil jerk out to make the Jets look bad or something.

So predictable.

Just curious, how many years in a row do I need to be right about the direction about the team while you spew blind homerism for you to shut up? Or do you just have no shame about being wrong all the time?

So predictable.

Does the reporter note that the TD drive only happened because it was preseason? Or do you and the reporter actually believe the Jets would have gone for it on 4th & 4 inside Indy's 10 yard line in the first half of a close game? If so, do you also believe in the Loch Ness Monster and the Yeti? They're all approximately as believable.

When the hell did that ever happen?

You can call me predictable but I've been right about the direction the team is going in for the last few years. 

You haven't even been right about the word "context" or "good" this morning.

I just heard some guy call WFAN to complain about the vanilla offense, in preseason game 1, the vanilla offense. THE VANILLA OFFENSE. IN PRESEASON. GAME 1.

And to be honest with you, you've been more ridiculous than that guy all morning.

I just heard some guy call WFAN to complain about the vanilla offense, in preseason game 1, the vanilla offense. THE VANILLA OFFENSE. IN PRESEASON. GAME 1.

And to be honest with you, you've been more ridiculous than that guy all morning.

Coming from a guy who is the president of the Bilal Powell fanclub (you know the guy who was a big part of that joke that the 2013 Jets called an offense,) I'm not gonna worry about you thinking that I'm wrong. 

Angry Michael is the gift that keeps on giving. 

Coming from a guy who is the president of the Bilal Powell fanclub (you know the guy who was a big part of that joke that the 2013 Jets called an offense,) I'm not gonna worry about you thinking that I'm wrong. 

Sooooo... I'm in the wrong for appreciating and understanding the value of having good, low-cost, home-grown role players on the team? 

Are you one of those clowns that assumes every roster spot should be filled by a pro-bowl player? You know Powell is a 3rd string player right? I love a player with his skillset and reliability as a 3rd stringer at any position.

Sooooo... I'm in the wrong for appreciating and understanding the value of having good, low-cost, home-grown role players on the team? 

Are you one of those clowns that assumes every roster spot should be filled by a pro-bowl player? You know Powell is a 3rd string player right? I love a player with his skillset and reliability as a 3rd stringer at any position.

Do your realize that other NFL teams have actually have this thing called DEPTH were there backups aren't all JAGs who you have to like because they were drafted? The Jets don't have one pro bowl player on their entire offense other than maybe Decker, lets not get crazy and ask for more... 

Do your realize that other NFL teams have actually have this thing called DEPTH were there backups aren't all JAGs who you have to like because they were drafted? The Jets don't have one pro bowl player on their entire offense other than maybe Decker, lets not get crazy and ask for more... 

List all the 3rd string RBs in the NFL for us.

Ferguson and Mangold don't count?

I'm pretty sure you won't find any probowlers playing #3 RB on any other team in the NFL. Ask for more? We got more, for instance at RB we got Ivory and Johnson, a former pro bowler (you are wrong again), who both were added to supplant Powell. Putting Powell appropriately at the #3 RB spot on our roster. 

You've reached a level of stupid I can't even mock anymore... you are saying we should want to replace Powell with more talented guys, which is exactly what the Jets have done. Are you now implying they should have signed a FA contract for a #3 RB who is better than Powell, but not better than Ivory or Johnson?

LMFAO

How about I list the teams that have backups better than the Jets starters? I mean thats the point right, the Powell stuff is just a sideshow. 

No, that isn't the point. The point, as you so clearly established it, is Powell.

Now you are running away from an argument you started, but couldn't win because you are a fountain of illogical nonsense. 

I'm pretty sure you won't find any probowlers playing #3 RB on any other team in the NFL. Ask for more? We got more, for instance at RB we got Ivory and Johnson, a former pro bowler (you are wrong again), who both were added to supplant Powell. Putting Powell appropriately at the #3 RB spot on our roster. 

You've reached a level of stupid I can't even mock anymore... you are saying we should want to replace Powell with more talented guys, which is exactly what the Jets have done. Are you now implying they should have signed a FA contract for a #3 RB who is better than Powell, but not better than Ivory or Johnson?

LMFAO

Go back and read my first post that started this moronic argument, that it would be terrible if Powell got the same amount of carries as Ivory or Johnson (who are still a bottom half of the league backfield.) Looks like you agree with me. Move along. 

Go back and read my first post that started this moronic argument, that it would be terrible if Powell got the same amount of carries as Ivory or Johnson (who are still a bottom half of the league backfield.) Looks like you agree with me. Move along. 

How does that comment make this about all the other teams that have better RBs than the Jets?

I don't agree with you, because you don't even agree with you. You're all over the place. I don't care about that initial comment, because I don't think it'll happen anyway. It's all the other dumb sh*t you've said since, that's the stuff I've contested.

The cemetery ball that Geno threw into the flat while being sacked simply should not be happening at this point. For all the talk about his improved decision making, that one play belies any thought of that and it's got to at least get the wheels turning in Idzik's mind that he needs to insulate himself and the franchise in the event that Geno just simply won't get it.

Archived