Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

New Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has had quite an offseason in the job, rebuilding the Jets roster and re-energizing the fan base. But there remains one thing missing, and it is stunning at this late date: Muhammad Wilkerson does not have a long-term contract.It seemed certain Wilkerson, who was the team’s best player between Darrelle Revis stints, would get his money this offseason, but here we are days before the season opener against the Browns and it is not looking good.

Neither side is saying anything about the contract negotiations, but Wilkerson wants a deal by Sunday or he’ll wait until the offseason to talk about a deal. That gives Maccagnan just a few days to close the gap with Wilkerson’s camp.We don’t know what Wilkerson is asking for or what the Jets have offered, so it’s difficult to evaluate who is right and who is wrong. But Wilkerson has been a great player and a good guy in the locker room for the Jets. He deserves long-term security. Until he gets it, Maccagnan still has work to do.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/09/08/the-stunning-omission-from-mike-maccagnans-jets-fixes/?ref=yfp

-- The clock is ticking on the Muhammad Wilkerson contract talks.

If Wilkerson and the New York Jets don't agree to a deal by Sunday, the talks will be tabled until after the season -- assuming he hasn't changed his position. At the start of training camp, Wilkerson set a Week 1 deadline. He doesn't want negotiations to spill into the season.

Neither side is commenting. They're trying to get something done, but the sense in league circles is that it's unlikely to happen by the start of the season. The Jets have a strong bargaining position because they can use the franchise tag next year. Basically, they have Wilkerson for two years at about $23 million -- his 2015 salary ($7 million), plus the projected cost of the franchise tag ($16 million).

Meanwhile, the word on the street is that Wilkerson is seeking a deal similar to that of Houston Texans star J.J. Watt. A year ago, Watt signed a six-year, $100 million contract, including $52 million in guarantees. Wilkerson is a terrific player, still only 25 years old, but there's only one Watt in the NFL.

On Wednesday, Wilkerson declined to discuss the status of talks."Anything regarding my contract," he said, "you have to talk to the people upstairs."Meaning general manager Mike Maccagnan, who has proven he's not shy about spending money. In this case, though, it looks like he's holding firm.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53981/not-much-optimism-surrounding-mo-wilkerson-contract-talks

-- After six months of hype, the New York Jets' vaunted defense is on the verge of its highly anticipated debut. Inside the locker room, the mood ranges from cautious optimism to raw confidence.

A sampling of the latter from Thursday:

"It's kind of crazy how good we can be," Stephen Bowen said. "That remains to be seen, but we have a lot of talent at every position."

Muhammad Wilkerson said, "I believe we can be as good as we want to be. We can be great. We can have the No. 1 defense in the league. We've just got to come in each and every week improving and do our jobs every Sunday."And this from Buster Skrine: "This defense should be a playoff defense. This defense should get us in the playoffs. I mean, we have the defense to do it. We've got a lot of talent. It's all about coming together."

New general manager Mike Maccagnan devoted most of his salary-cap room in the offseason to bolstering a defense that already had a solid foundation. He re-signed David Harris; signed free agents Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Gilchrist and Skrine; and drafted Leonard Williams with the sixth overall pick.

Total price tag: $96 million in guaranteed money.

For that kind of dough, they should be the Steel Curtain.

The Jets should handle the first test. After all, the Cleveland Browns don't threaten with much firepower, not with Josh McCown throwing to Brian Hartline. They have a terrific offensive line, but it's hard to imagine the Jets getting pushed around up front, even with rookie Williams replacing the suspended Sheldon Richardson.Schematically, the Jets didn't show much in the preseason, so Sunday will be the first true glimpse of a Todd Bowles-coached defense. Look for pressure, lots of pressure. In two seasons as the Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator, Bowles had the highest blitz percentage in the league (47 percent of dropbacks), according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Jets, under Rex Ryan, finished at 31 percent.

Naturally, Bowles isn't feeding the hype machine with Rex Ryan-like hyperbole. Asked how good they can be on defense, Bowles said, "We don't try to be good. We try to make plays and we try to stop people, but we don't put tags on ourselves. We try to do what we need to do to win games."

It would help if his defense matches the hype.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54023/jets-de-mo-wilkerson-we-can-have-the-no-1-defense-in-the-league

Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has broken off contract negotiations with the Jets after the two sides failed to reach an agreement on a long-term deal by the open of the regular season.A source said Wilkerson plans to play out the 2015 season under his current contract, which will pay him $6.97 million, and then see what happens this winter. Wilkerson is in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. He is scheduled to become a free agent in March, but the Jets likely would apply the franchise tag to him if it reaches that point.

Using the franchise tag on Wilkerson could cost the Jets around $15-$16 million, a blow to their salary cap for 2016.

Wilkerson has been seeking a new deal since last year, but he and the Jets were never close to an agreement. General manager Mike Maccagnan has said he wanted to get a deal done with Wilkerson since taking over in January, but failed to do so. Wilkerson set a deadline of the opening of the regular season to get a contract done.Wilkerson has been one of the Jets’ most consistent players since the team drafted him in the first round of the 2011 Draft. In 2013, he was named second-team All-Pro. Last year, he was having a monster season before a toe injury in November derailed it.

>    http://nypost.com/2015/09/14/muhammad-wilkerson-makes-good-on-contract-threat/

Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has broken off contract negotiations with the Jets after the two sides failed to reach an agreement on a long-term deal by the open of the regular season.A source said Wilkerson plans to play out the 2015 season under his current contract, which will pay him $6.97 million, and then see what happens this winter. Wilkerson is in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. He is scheduled to become a free agent in March, but the Jets likely would apply the franchise tag to him if it reaches that point.

Using the franchise tag on Wilkerson could cost the Jets around $15-$16 million, a blow to their salary cap for 2016.

Wilkerson has been seeking a new deal since last year, but he and the Jets were never close to an agreement. General manager Mike Maccagnan has said he wanted to get a deal done with Wilkerson since taking over in January, but failed to do so. Wilkerson set a deadline of the opening of the regular season to get a contract done.Wilkerson has been one of the Jets’ most consistent players since the team drafted him in the first round of the 2011 Draft. In 2013, he was named second-team All-Pro. Last year, he was having a monster season before a toe injury in November derailed it.

>    http://nypost.com/2015/09/14/muhammad-wilkerson-makes-good-on-contract-threat/

I prefer 1st team All Pro guys like the one in the picture but that's just me.. :)

0909-nfl-throwbacks-06-480w.jpg

-- Muhammad Wilkerson considers himself one of the best defensive ends in the NFL, and he doesn't believe he has anything to prove to the New York Jets' front office -- not even as he enters the final year of his contract."I'm a competitor, but I'm not going to compete with those people upstairs," Wilkerson told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "If they feel I'm worthy or not worthy, whatever the case may be, that's on them. I know what I'm capable of doing."Contract talks broke off last week after several months of discussions, a source said. Wilkerson said at the start of training camp that he doesn't want to negotiate during the regular season, and his stance hasn't changed.

Wilkerson wants to concentrate on football, insisting he's not fueled by a pay-me motivation.

"I'm not here to make a point about anything," he said. "If they think ... I don't know, I really can't say how they feel about me. You have to talk to them. I just do my job and dominate as best I can."Wilkerson is due to make $6.97 million this year, the amount of his fifth-year option.The Jets have expressed a desire to sign Wilkerson to a long-term contract, but there doesn't appear to be a sense of urgency. They can retain him for 2016 by exercising the franchise tag, which could cost about $16 million.

The Jets have some tough financial decisions to make. Their defensive line consists of two former first-round picks, Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, and a current first-rounder, Leonard Williams. Richardson is signed through 2016, but highly regarded nose tackle Damon Harrison will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Wilkerson isn't a self-promoter -- "I'm a quiet assassin," he said -- but he has confidence about where he stacks up."I think I'm one of the best defensive ends, 3-4 ends, whatever anybody wants to say," he said. "I'm one of the best in the league, but it's not my job to grade myself. That's just me feeling the way I feel. My play shows it."

Wilkerson got off to a strong start this season, recording five tackles, one sack and one quarterback hit in the Jets' Week 1 victory over the Cleveland Browns. He got a game ball from coach Todd Bowles, whose one-gap scheme could bring out the best in Wilkerson."I think Mo is good in any scheme," Bowles said. "He's just one of those players. He can play two-gap, 3-4, 4-3. His ceiling is as high as he wants it to be. He's a heck of a player."

>    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13672460/new-york-jets-muhammad-wilkerson-focusing-play-not-new-deal

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Muhammad Wilkerson's value is rising. In the final year of his contract, the Jets' defensive end is the highest-graded 3-4 DE after two weeks, per Pro Football Focus. Last night, he had two QB hits and six hurries. He was a terror at the point of attack.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Mo Wilkerson had 11 tackles for the Jets against the Eagles. That is quite a lot for a 3-4 end. #nyjets

Which means he is a decent tackler or they run at him a lot. You can get guys who can tackle like that for way less than what he is asking for. If he wants to be paid like a primo sack guy, he needs to get some serious sacks. There was no pass rush yesterday. 

Which means he is a decent tackler or they run at him a lot. You can get guys who can tackle like that for way less than what he is asking for. If he wants to be paid like a primo sack guy, he needs to get some serious sacks. There was no pass rush yesterday. 

agreed.  He is really really good but to be great you need sacks especially the way the game is played now. Especially since we already have Sheldon,  Williams, coples, snacks etc. 

-- A look back at the New York Jets' 27-14 win over the Miami Dolphins -- three players whose stock is rising, three whose stock is falling   :

THREE RISERS

1. Muhammad Wilkerson, defensive end -- Few, if any, 3-4 ends have played as well as Wilkerson over the first month of the season. He recorded two sacks, giving him a team-high 3.5. He also had a pass deflection and a forced fumble. The Dolphins, minus left tackle Branden Albert, couldn't figure out how to block him. So much of the pregame spotlight was focus on the Dolphins' Ndamukong Suh, but Wilkerson was the best defensive lineman on the field.

rest of above article :

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54807/jets-mo-wilkerson-outplays-ndamukong-suh-the-114-million-man

Wilkerson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  better than Suh....not even close.  Plus he doesn't kick people in the head, or drive high in a car with a loaded gun, weed, and a 14 year old...while street racing...

I'd give him a reasonable deal.

Five years, $60 million.  $30 guaranteed.

I think everyone including our FO would sign up for that in a heartbeat.  I think he is a different ZIP code at this point.  How different is the only question.

I think everyone including our FO would sign up for that in a heartbeat.  I think he is a different ZIP code at this point.  How different is the only question.

I don't think anyone on the Jets FO don't appreciate what they have in Mo.  The question is really, on what they feel his value is vs. what Mo and his agent feel his value is.  I would not give him Watt money or Suh money.  As good as he is, I wouldn't.  You also have to determine how much money you put in the DL.  Signing Mo to a long term deal may prevent you from signing Sheldon or someday Williams (as well as locking a lot of money up).

I would suspect that if they cannot get close, they will franchise him and then try and trade him.  It is the only thing that would make sense.  Some other team (especially who doesn't have the depth the Jets do at DL) will pay him close to what he wants and we will be able to get something significant for him.  Or, they will let he and his agent try to find a trade and really determine his market value.

I can't see them paying him the Tag money for one year unless we hit the lottery with a QB that can take us all of the way.  I also just don't see the Jets signing him long term.  If they were in the same galaxy they would have signed him by now (unless his demands come way down).

I don't think anyone on the Jets FO don't appreciate what they have in Mo.  The question is really, on what they feel his value is vs. what Mo and his agent feel his value is.  I would not give him Watt money or Suh money.  As good as he is, I wouldn't.  You also have to determine how much money you put in the DL.  Signing Mo to a long term deal may prevent you from signing Sheldon or someday Williams (as well as locking a lot of money up).

I would suspect that if they cannot get close, they will franchise him and then try and trade him.  It is the only thing that would make sense.  Some other team (especially who doesn't have the depth the Jets do at DL) will pay him close to what he wants and we will be able to get something significant for him.  Or, they will let he and his agent try to find a trade and really determine his market value.

I can't see them paying him the Tag money for one year unless we hit the lottery with a QB that can take us all of the way.  I also just don't see the Jets signing him long term.  If they were in the same galaxy they would have signed him by now (unless his demands come way down).

This is the way I have seen it going for a while now. John Idzik had the window and the salary cap cash to get this done last year and now I think Mo Wilkerson may have moved out of our reasonable range.  I hope I am wrong, especially since I told my wife to get me a Mo Wilkerson jersey for my birthday.

Drafting Leonard Williams changes the equation for us and our thinking too. As do the problems that Sheldon Richardson has been having off the field.  Silly me thinking Sheldon's issues might get us a discount on his next deal but then again you have to know that a player who buys himself a Bentley with his first professional contract money is going to be looking for (and probably needing) big money next time around.

Wilkerson is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  better than Suh....not even close.  Plus he doesn't kick people in the head, or drive high in a car with a loaded gun, weed, and a 14 year old...while street racing...

Richardson wasn't high; the first thing the league would have done when they got wind of his arrest would have been to test him...if he failed a test while suspended for another failed test he'd have gotten Josh Gordon punishment and we'd have heard about it by now...also, the gun was legal; as such it is not grounds for any league discipline.

Richardson wasn't high; the first thing the league would have done when they got wind of his arrest would have been to test him...if he failed a test while suspended for another failed test he'd have gotten Josh Gordon punishment and we'd have heard about it by now...also, the gun was legal; as such it is not grounds for any league discipline.

Part of the issue with pot testing is that it is not very time sensitive.  It can tell if you have had something in the last <weeks/months> and NOT if you are under the influence right now as is the case with blood level alcohol.

That's right, the passenger was high...there was weed in the car, and good thing we're trying to justify smoking weed, with a gun, with a 12 year old, while street racing...

"
 allegedly involved street racing with a 12-year-old boy in the back seat, carrying a loaded handgun and smelling of marijuana"

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/30/9076615/sheldon-richardson-arrest-jets-speed-racing-marijuana-gun

...well, he didnt shoot anyone though...I mean, if you don't shoot anyone, should it even be a crime?  This is where you need to take your green colored glasses off and use your common sense.  The police arrive at your house and tell you your child was, "allegedly involved street racing with a 12-year-old boy in the back seat, carrying a loaded handgun and smelling of marijuana"

I love your response to the police officer, "well, at least he was legally carrying the gun."  You win father of the year, sir.

Archived