Buffalo News Writer: Rex Ryan Isn't That Smart

joewilly12

Some Jets fans freaked out in 2009 and 2010 when we unexpectedly made the playoffs (after the Brett Favre season) esp in 2009 when things broke the right way and we backed in with only 9 Ws. They gave way too much credit to the head coach and the Qb. I can't even remember all of the unprofessional things Rex said and did when he was here. I remember one year he said he was going to improve as a head coach and not concentrate on defense and actually apologized for it. And then the next year he said the exact opposite always prefacing everything with his "I've gotta be me" song and dance. No wonder the Ravens didn't want him. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Some Jets fans freaked out in 2009 and 2010 when we unexpectedly made the playoffs (after the Brett Favre season) esp in 2009 when things broke the right way and we backed in with only 9 Ws. They gave way too much credit to the head coach and the Qb. I can't even remember all of the unprofessional things Rex said and did when he was here. I remember one year he said he was going to improve as a head coach and not concentrate on defense and actually apologized for it. And then the next year he said the exact opposite always prefacing everything with his "I've gotta be me" song and dance. No wonder the Ravens didn't want him. 

let me get this straight, the guy who does nothing but praise the QB who threw 3 INTs in a win and in game and was a major reason why we missed is now bashing the 2009/2010 Jets who made AFC Championship Games?

"backed in"- I love this, know how we "backed in" in 2009? by winning 5 of our last 6 games and once in we won 2 road playoff games including beating the hottest team in football in the div rd.  Know how many road playoff wins we had in history to that point(1960-2008)?  THREE.  A year later they built on 2009 by winning 11 games and AGAIN 2 road playoff games(the total of 4 in those 2 seasons is more than we have had the rest of our history combined) w/ this time beating our hated rival on the road in the biggest game ever btw the 2 teams.

You can't make this stuff up, it is why we have the worst fanbase in sports.

We lucked out on tie breakers and only got in because Indy pulled Peyton Manning and other starters in 2009.  Everything played out for us that year in the standings. We were lucky. But I'll take it for a change. The addition last year of Marshall isn't as big a deal as you claim it was. He was good but sometimes a mistake prone player and often he was a locker room problem during his career. And that's the reason Mac was able to get him so cheap. A key reason he was so successful was Fitz. And visa versa. 

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

let me get this straight, the guy who does nothing but praise the QB who threw 3 INTs in a win and in game and was a major reason why we missed is now bashing the 2009/2010 Jets who made AFC Championship Games?

"backed in"- I love this, know how we "backed in" in 2009? by winning 5 of our last 6 games and once in we won 2 road playoff games including beating the hottest team in football in the div rd.  Know how many road playoff wins we had in history to that point(1960-2008)?  THREE.  A year later they built on 2009 by winning 11 games and AGAIN 2 road playoff games(the total of 4 in those 2 seasons is more than we have had the rest of our history combined) w/ this time beating our hated rival on the road in the biggest game ever btw the 2 teams.

You can't make this stuff up, it is why we have the worst fanbase in sports.

I got news for you bub, you are just as much a part of that worst fanbase in sports. You do the exact same crap, its just your agenda that differs.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

I got news for you bub, you are just as much a part of that worst fanbase in sports. You do the exact same crap, its just your agenda that differs.

I am a part of but not a reason for it.  we are the only fanbase that can bash successful players, coaches, gms and back ones that never did anything.  of course in 2 years when they are gone then we'll bash them and back the new guys.

My "agenda" is the truth.  I don't pretend Rex was Vince Lombardi but I do appreciate what he did while he was here.  I don't need to bash him b/c he did a bad job in 2014, I choose to remember the good times where we got closer to a SB than at any time since SB III.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I am a part of but not a reason for it.  we are the only fanbase that can bash successful players, coaches, gms and back ones that never did anything.  of course in 2 years when they are gone then we'll bash them and back the new guys.

My "agenda" is the truth.  I don't pretend Rex was Vince Lombardi but I do appreciate what he did while he was here.  I don't need to bash him b/c he did a bad job in 2014, I choose to remember the good times where we got closer to a SB than at any time since SB III.

Rex got his credit for making the playoffs. But for 4 straight seasons he didn't get in and that's the bottom line. Tom Coughlin won 2 Super Bowls but his team didn't get in for a similar period of time and he was replaced too. Rex got six seasons which for him was more than fair. And his first season with the Bills was underwhelming. 

Just now, nyjunc said:

You chose which agenda is the truth, and which one is not, based on who you like. Worst, you never adapt your stance, even as more data presents itself, or logical arguments. 

Its entirely possible that Rex did a fantastic job in 09/10, and still is a bad HC.

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Rex got his credit for making the playoffs. But for 4 straight seasons he didn't get in and that's the bottom line. Tom Coughlin won 2 Super Bowls but his team didn't get in for a similar period of time and he was replaced too. Rex got six seasons which for him was more than fair. And his first season with the Bills was underwhelming. 

the difference is Coughlin was losing w/ rosters capable of winning SBs.  No issue w/ making a change, he didn't get it done in 4 years, I think it was more of a talent issue but he is judged on wins and losses.

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

You chose which agenda is the truth, and which one is not, based on who you like. Worst, you never adapt your stance, even as more data presents itself, or logical arguments. 

Its entirely possible that Rex did a fantastic job in 09/10, and still is a bad HC.

Actually I choose to discuss players/coaches/GMs realistically.  I back those that have helped my team win.  I appreciate what Herm did- was he great? of course not but we made the playoffs 3 of 5 years and I like that.  I appreciate what Chad did- was he great? No but when healthy we were always in the playoffs with him and I like that.  I appreciate what tannenbaum, Sanchez and rex did- were they great? nope but they helped get my team closer to a SB than we have come since SB III so I like that and when people try to bash them and tell me how they sucked I will back them and reality.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

all we have are 2 playoff apps(only Herm has more in team history by the way) and all we have are 2 title game apps(no one has more).  It was much more fun last year missing the playoffs again w/ our most talented roster since 2010.

You think Rex "led" the Jets to the playoffs.  I say the Jets made the playoffs IN SPITE of Rex.  Lucked intyo it the first time literally because Indi pulled Peyton.  

Rex sucks.  You like him?  Fine.  Root for the Bills.  Let him play with your feet.  Start speaking with lots of "uh's... um's....and "stuff like that".  Whatever floats your boat.  Rex is a moron who has never lived up tot the hype.  A fraud.  You have been duped and don't even acknowledge it.  Oh well.  It's your prerogative to remain in delusion.

We will never agree, Rex believers/apologists cannot convince anyone else that Rex is a good head coach and no one can convince the Rex lovers that he sucks.  Leave it at that.  This is a waste of my time and yours.  I'm done with this stale argument.  Meanwhile, a huge contingent of Bills fans have changed their opinion of him and now regret the hiring.  Speaks volumes.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the difference is Coughlin was losing w/ rosters capable of winning SBs.  No issue w/ making a change, he didn't get it done in 4 years, I think it was more of a talent issue but he is judged on wins and losses.

Actually I choose to discuss players/coaches/GMs realistically.  I back those that have helped my team win.  I appreciate what Herm did- was he great? of course not but we made the playoffs 3 of 5 years and I like that.  I appreciate what Chad did- was he great? No but when healthy we were always in the playoffs with him and I like that.  I appreciate what tannenbaum, Sanchez and rex did- were they great? nope but they helped get my team closer to a SB than we have come since SB III so I like that and when people try to bash them and tell me how they sucked I will back them and reality.  

The facts are that Mark Sanchez regressed after 2010 and never reached the level of being a franchise Qb that the team was counting on. He is what he is now. A medium level back up making smaller money. He has a great chance with Denver but imo he only at best can be an ok game manager. And he might not be able to beat out Denver's 7th round pick in last year's draft. You can't even come close to comparing what Fitz did with us last year and what Mark did in Philly in 2014. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You think Rex "led" the Jets to the playoffs.  I say the Jets made the playoffs IN SPITE of Rex.  Lucked intyo it the first time literally because Indi pulled Peyton.  

Rex sucks.  You like him?  Fine.  Root for the Bills.  Let him play with your feet.  Start speaking with lots of "uh's... um's....and "stuff like that".  Whatever floats your boat.  Rex is a moron who has never lived up tot the hype.  A fraud.  You have been duped and don't even acknowledge it.  Oh well.  It's your prerogative to remain in delusion.

We will never agree, Rex believers/apologists cannot convince anyone else that Rex is a good head coach and no one can convince the Rex lovers that he sucks.  Leave it at that.  This is a waste of my time and yours.  I'm done with this stale argument.  Meanwhile, a huge contingent of Bills fans have changed their opinion of him and now regret the hiring.  Speaks volumes.

ok, but we made it under rex, right?  we couldn't do it under the Mangenious a year earlier w/ a cake sched, no Brady and a HOF QB but we manged to do it w/ Rex w/ Brady around, tougher sched and a rookie QB.

delusion would be the person giving rex no credit for doing what he did here.  "lucked in":lol: too bad we couldn't "luck in" last year by beating rex ONCE, we did have to play the Indy starters for 2 1/2 qtrs in 2009- that is harder than beating a banged up mediocre 2015 Bills team.

who cares what Bills fans say? their team hasn't made the playoffs since 1999, they are impatient.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

The facts are that Mark Sanchez regressed after 2010 and never reached the level of being a franchise Qb that the team was counting on. He is what he is now. A medium level back up making smaller money. He has a great chance with Denver but imo he only at best can be an ok game manager. And he might not be able to beat out Denver's 7th round pick in last year's draft. You can't even come close to comparing what Fitz did with us last year and what Mark did in Philly in 2014. 

he did regress after 2010- why?  year after year following 2010 they stripped talent away from him then changed coaches and schemes every year.  He's still very capable in the right spot, if we had him last year we make the playoffs.  

Mark in Philly in 2014 led Philly's O to 27.1 PPG

Fitz led us in 2015 to 24.5

which is better? 27.1 or 24.5?

ok, but we made it under rex, right?  we couldn't do it under the Mangenious a year earlier w/ a cake sched, no Brady and a HOF QB but we manged to do it w/ Rex w/ Brady around, tougher sched and a rookie QB.

delusion would be the person giving rex no credit for doing what he did here.  "lucked in":lol: too bad we couldn't "luck in" last year by beating rex ONCE, we did have to play the Indy starters for 2 1/2 qtrs in 2009- that is harder than beating a banged up mediocre 2015 Bills team.

who cares what Bills fans say? their team hasn't made the playoffs since 1999, they are impatient.

he did regress after 2010- why?  year after year following 2010 they stripped talent away from him then changed coaches and schemes every year.  He's still very capable in the right spot, if we had him last year we make the playoffs.  

Mark in Philly in 2014 led Philly's O to 27.1 PPG

Fitz led us in 2015 to 24.5

which is better? 27.1 or 24.5?

Check Kirwan's article on Fitz if you're trying to find stats. I mean you can look for good ones and you can find bad ones. How's about no excuses for Mark. He had more weapons in Philly and didn't win games after Foles won six. Same goes for Rex vs Coughlin. Those Giants teams weren't great. 2 rings vs none. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Check Kirwan's article on Fitz if you're trying to find stats. I mean you can look for good ones and you can find bad ones. How's about no excuses for Mark. He had more weapons in Philly and didn't win games after Foles won six. Same goes for Rex vs Coughlin. Those Giants teams weren't great. 2 rings vs none. 

Let's look at that, shall we?

http://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/05/26/the-case-for-fitzpatrick/

He states Geno has a 4-10 record against the AFC east but that is incorrect, he is 4-7 as a starter against the AFC East including 3-3 his first year(same 3-3 record Fitz had this year w/ much more talent around him).  if he can't get the basics right how would I trust other things he says?

next he says Fitz had a 3-1 record against NE and Miami, while true Miami was a train wreck and 2 of those wins came against Miami and the lone win against NE they were disinterested so for Kirwin we throw out the 2 Buffalo games that decided our season and focus on 2 games w/ Miami:lol:

Next he says in 61 career games under gailey he has thrown 102 Tds and 69 INTs.  That's nice but he did lead the league in INTs one of those 4 seasons and want to know what his record is?  26-35, only been close to the playoffs one time and we know how that ended.

next he talks about TDs on 3rd downs, not sure how we can trust his #s when he gets many basic things wrong but assume it's correct, I'd imagine throwng the ball up for Marshall and decker would help any QB on 3rd down and what is funny about mentioning those 11 TD passes on 3rd downs he fails to mention SIX of his INTs came on 3rd downs.  I wonder why?

he was 9th in 4th qtr TD passes! he threw 8 of them, just spectacular!  but he threw 8 INTs too but no mention of that.let's look at the 4th qtr TDs:

week 2 at Indy: big play after he kept Indy in what should have been a blowout and I think Marshall gets most of the credit for this one:

20.gif

meaningless TD vs. Philly

2 yd TD in blowout vs. washington

TD pass vs. jax but again a great play by Marshall(gif wasn't working).

to decker vs. Buf- got us back in game, couldn't finish it though

3 yarder to Marshall in blowout vs. Miami

tying TD to Marshall at Giants, great play but he threw it up to his big WR who made the play.

3 yarder to decker at Dallas, big play

is this impressive?  now let's look at the 4th qtr INTs:

2 vs. Philly in what turned out to be a 1 score loss.

ended game at home vs. Buf(would have needed a miracle in that spot though so I don't blame him)

2 at Houston w/ plenty of time in one score loss

3 at Buf which cost us our season

this shows that the INts were worse than the TDs were good.

dropped passes happen, how many times did our receivers snatch bad throws which would have been incomplete or picked?  that stuff evends out so I don't buyt the dropp passes or dropped INTs stats.

he also said he had 53 passes of 20+ yds(not sure if accurate) but when you have playmakers catching and running that number is skewed and tells us he had more than Newton(who had no WRs), Ben who only started 11 games, Flacco who started 10 games, Matt Ryan(who cares?) and Matt Stafford(who cares?)

this was an awful argument by Kirwin and now I know why we had such a crappy franchise when he was a part of it.

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

and on the Giant teams, they proved capable of winning SUPER BOWLS so they had Super Bowl talent and could only win 10 and 9 games in reg seasons in weak division and missed playoffs 6 of last 7 seasons.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

hard to win w/o talent

Rex has no talent and Sanchez has no talent and not only were they winning pretty easy for a couple years there they continue to reap the benefits of the kind of revisionist history typically reserved for guys we're still stuck with. Wait until you see how much more talented Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson suddenly become if and when they're under contract.

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Rex has no talent and Sanchez has no talent and not only were they winning pretty easy for a couple years there they continue to reap the benefits of the kind of revisionist history typically reserved for guys we're still stuck with. Wait until you see how much more talented Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson suddenly become if and when they're under contract.

nah, they sucked and so did Tannenbaum and everyone else.  the league just allowed us to make title games b/c they were being nice.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

nah, they sucked and so did Tannenbaum and everyone else.  the league just allowed us to make title games b/c they were being nice.

I'm guessing that the teams who actively led the donkey to water had other ideas. I'm sure pity was harbored but I don't think it was a motivating factor or anything. The Colts put us in the playoffs and we put them in the super bowl. That pretty much says it all about this team and the fact that it got those two dipsh*ts canonized pretty much says it all about this fanbase.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm guessing that the teams who actively led the donkey to water had other ideas. I'm sure pity was harbored but I don't think it was a motivating factor or anything. The Colts put us in the playoffs and we put them in the super bowl. That pretty much says it all about this team and the fact that it got those two dipsh*ts canonized pretty much says it all about this fanbase.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Let's look at that, shall we?

http://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/05/26/the-case-for-fitzpatrick/

He states Geno has a 4-10 record against the AFC east but that is incorrect, he is 4-7 as a starter against the AFC East including 3-3 his first year(same 3-3 record Fitz had this year w/ much more talent around him).  if he can't get the basics right how would I trust other things he says?

next he says Fitz had a 3-1 record against NE and Miami, while true Miami was a train wreck and 2 of those wins came against Miami and the lone win against NE they were disinterested so for Kirwin we throw out the 2 Buffalo games that decided our season and focus on 2 games w/ Miami:lol:

Next he says in 61 career games under gailey he has thrown 102 Tds and 69 INTs.  That's nice but he did lead the league in INTs one of those 4 seasons and want to know what his record is?  26-35, only been close to the playoffs one time and we know how that ended.

next he talks about TDs on 3rd downs, not sure how we can trust his #s when he gets many basic things wrong but assume it's correct, I'd imagine throwng the ball up for Marshall and decker would help any QB on 3rd down and what is funny about mentioning those 11 TD passes on 3rd downs he fails to mention SIX of his INTs came on 3rd downs.  I wonder why?

he was 9th in 4th qtr TD passes! he threw 8 of them, just spectacular!  but he threw 8 INTs too but no mention of that.let's look at the 4th qtr TDs:

week 2 at Indy: big play after he kept Indy in what should have been a blowout and I think Marshall gets most of the credit for this one:

20.gif

meaningless TD vs. Philly

2 yd TD in blowout vs. washington

TD pass vs. jax but again a great play by Marshall(gif wasn't working).

to decker vs. Buf- got us back in game, couldn't finish it though

3 yarder to Marshall in blowout vs. Miami

tying TD to Marshall at Giants, great play but he threw it up to his big WR who made the play.

3 yarder to decker at Dallas, big play

is this impressive?  now let's look at the 4th qtr INTs:

2 vs. Philly in what turned out to be a 1 score loss.

ended game at home vs. Buf(would have needed a miracle in that spot though so I don't blame him)

2 at Houston w/ plenty of time in one score loss

3 at Buf which cost us our season

this shows that the INts were worse than the TDs were good.

dropped passes happen, how many times did our receivers snatch bad throws which would have been incomplete or picked?  that stuff evends out so I don't buyt the dropp passes or dropped INTs stats.

he also said he had 53 passes of 20+ yds(not sure if accurate) but when you have playmakers catching and running that number is skewed and tells us he had more than Newton(who had no WRs), Ben who only started 11 games, Flacco who started 10 games, Matt Ryan(who cares?) and Matt Stafford(who cares?)

this was an awful argument by Kirwin and now I know why we had such a crappy franchise when he was a part of it.

Your assumption is much more talent. One guy Marshall and other guys injured. But you are kind of proving my point. I didn't crunch the numbers you're giving us or Kirwan did. I'm assuming you're both being as factual as possible. I trust the both of you. But if you have a POV (like you certainly do) you interpret those numbers to back up your opinion. Nothing wrong with that to a point. I do it too. But stats can be interpreted in different ways. I am grading Fitz not on base stats but on how I saw him do. And the way he led the team. It's subjective. I think he was very good and our best Qb since CP. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Your assumption is much more talent. One guy Marshall and other guys injured. But you are kind of proving my point. I didn't crunch the numbers you're giving us or Kirwan did. I'm assuming you're both being as factual as possible. I trust the both of you. But if you have a POV (like you certainly do) you interpret those numbers to back up your opinion. Nothing wrong with that to a point. I do it to. But stats can be interpreted in different ways. I am grading Fitz not on base stats but son how I saw him do. And the way he led the team. It's subjective. I think he was very good and our best Qb since CP. 

it's not assumption, we had so much more talent in 2015 than 2014 or 2013 that it's ridiculous to even discuss.

I don't judge based on stats alone, I weight heavily how players do in big spots and in the biggest spot Fitz failed so I can't get that out of my head.

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's not assumption, we had so much more talent in 2015 than 2014 or 2013 that it's ridiculous to even discuss.

I don't judge based on stats alone, I weight heavily how players do in big spots and in the biggest spot Fitz failed so I can't get that out of my head.

OK. So where's this much more talent. Other than Marshall on offense. We had basically the same guys and were without Amaro who as a receiving TE wasn't bad and a contributor He led rookie TEs in receiving.. Q was a starter and a contributor. We signed Cro. He was below average. Revis was good but not great. Like every year we drafted players but there were no impact players. Leonard Williams was good not great, too. The second round pick did not have a good rookie year. The linebacker improved later in the year. Petty gets an incomplete. And the other two guys we drafted were cut and Ps'd. In other words out of six guys drafted only 3 actually played. Actually the best new addition on the team imo was Fitz. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

OK. So where's the much more talent. Other than Marshall on offense. We had basically the same guys and were without Amaro who as a receiving TE wasn't bad and a contributor He led rookie TEs in receiving.. We signed Cro. He was below average. Revis was good but not great. Like every year we drafted players but there were no impact players. Leonard Williams was good not great, too. The second round pick did not have a good rookie year. The linebacker improved later in the year. Petty gets an incomplete. And the other two guys we drafted were cut and Ps'd. In other words out of six guys drafted only 3 actually played. Actually the best new addition on the team imo was Fitz. 

if we stopped at just Marshall it would be light years better than 2014(we won't even discuss 2013 even though that was Geno's only full season) but it wasn't just Marshall it was a HEALTHY Decker, Enunwa, the emergence of Powell as a receiver, the upgraded OL, the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR who Fitz had a history with.  

defensively it was night and day.  Williams, another year of Richardson and wilkerson, thes econdary was the worst in football in 2014 and was one of the better units in 2015.  Revis at 80% is still a top 5-10 corner, Cro was good most of the year, Skrine at nickel, Pryor in year 2.  it wasn't close.

I just don't know what to tell you if you think the talent was similar in 2014 and 2015.  I'm not sure how you spend hundreds of millions in an offseason if that is the case.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

if we stopped at just Marshall it would be light years better than 2014(we won't even discuss 2013 even though that was Geno's only full season) but it wasn't just Marshall it was a HEALTHY Decker, Enunwa, the emergence of Powell as a receiver, the upgraded OL, the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR who Fitz had a history with.  

defensively it was night and day.  Williams, another year of Richardson and wilkerson, thes econdary was the worst in football in 2014 and was one of the better units in 2015.  Revis at 80% is still a top 5-10 corner, Cro was good most of the year, Skrine at nickel, Pryor in year 2.  it wasn't close.

I just don't know what to tell you if you think the talent was similar in 2014 and 2015.  I'm not sure how you spend hundreds of millions in an offseason if that is the case.

You can't say in this argument that a guy we already had on our team improved the team because he had another year of experience. Then you can say that every year but it's not always the case and some teams improve and others regress for a variety of reasons. Basically if your point is that Fitz had a lot more talent in terms of offense it was pretty much Marshall. Plus we lost over 300 receiving yards with the TE position. Sure we were a better team. We spent all of our cap money, too. And not wisely for the most part imo. The Revis deal was way over the top and not logical. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

You can't say in this argument that a guy we already had on our team improved because he had another year of experience. You can say that every year but it's not always the case and some teams improve and others regress for a variety of reasons. Basically if your point is that Fitz had a lot more talent in terms of offense it was pretty much Marshall. Plus we lost over 300 receiving yards with the TE position. Sure we were a better team. We spent all of our cap money, too. And not wisely for the most part imo. The Revis deal was way over the top and not logical. 

of course you can say guys improved, Pryor wasn't the same player as a rookie as he was in year 2.

again, if it was ONLY Marshall that is a HUGE difference but it wasn't just Marshall,

over 300 rec yds at TE? seriously?  

we spent very wisely and we HAD to spend by league rules.  the spending got us from 4 wins to 10 w/ a playoff chance.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

of course you can say guys improved, Pryor wasn't the same player as a rookie as he was in year 2.

again, if it was ONLY Marshall that is a HUGE difference but it wasn't just Marshall,

over 300 rec yds at TE? seriously?  

we spent very wisely and we HAD to spend by league rules.  the spending got us from 4 wins to 10 w/ a playoff chance.

Giving Revis the highest ever guaranteed contract for a corner isn't wise. And Cro who wasn't very good was overpaid. And if he was so good why did Mac cut him. We see the repercussions of this in 2016 when we are out of cap space  I'm for giving market but those deals were stupid. I don't blame the GM it was probably the owner. And Marshall wasn't Jerry Rice. He was good but often inconsistent. We had almost no receiving yards by tight ends in 2015. Again we're talking about new additions to the team not guys already on the roster who improved. 

On 5/24/2016 at 11:57 PM, drdetroit said:

Bottom line was Rex was a 3-4 guy and Mario wanted to play 4-3 and when he didn't get exactly what he wanted he shat the bed

Should Rex have completely changed his philosophy to accommodate the diva?  Maybe.  

Mario was due like $15M from the Bills in 2016, and he had to know he wasn't getting a new contract paying him that much - for just the 1 year - at age 31. Particularly if/after he had a relative down season in 2015 due to semi-purposely sh*tting the bed. His new deal pays him close to the same amount over 2 years that he was due just for 1 year.

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Giving Revis the highest ever guaranteed contract for a corner isn't wise. And Cro who wasn't very good was overpaid. And if he was so good why did Mac cut him. We see the repercussions of this in 2016 when we are out of cap space  I'm for giving market but those deals were stupid. I don't blame the GM it was probably the owner. And Marshall wasn't Jerry Rice. He was good but often inconsistent. We had almost no receiving yards by tight ends in 2015. Again we're talking about new additions to the team not guys already on the roster who improved. 

we are not out of cap space, we are using it wisely.  not overpaying for a backup QB that happens to start for us.

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we are not out of cap space, we are using it wisely.  not overpaying for a backup QB that happens to start for us.

Based on what I saw on Over the Cap and Sportrac, we have 3 mil left and haven't signed Lee. He is projected to be getting 4/10/5.6. You are entitled to your own opinion but paying Revis 17 mil this season isn't smart. 

So after 2014 Woody could have kept both Rex and Idzik. He made the decision to fire both of them. There is no absolute that a GM can't inherit a head coach. And sometimes it works out. Just because the GM selects the HC doesn't mean the team is going to be successful. And in these hirings we always see the owners deeply involved. If Idzik's plan was to spend much of that cap money in 2015 (and again you have to spend it) it could have been with or without Rex. But kind of hard to work with a HC who is plotting against you and using the press to bash you all of the time. Maybe Idzik tried to work with the guy. We don't know because all the fans heard was the spin coming from Mehta and Cimini and totally pro Rex. 

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Based on what I saw on Over the Cap and Sportrac, we have 3 mil left and haven't signed Lee. He is projected to be getting 4/10/5.6. You are entitled to your own opinion but paying Revis 17 mil this season isn't smart. 

the cap "problems" are easy to fix.  we didn't re-sign Fitz b/c of the cap, we haven't re-signed Mo b/c of the current cap.

the cap "problems" are easy to fix.  we didn't re-sign Fitz b/c of the cap, we haven't re-signed Mo b/c of the current cap.

If the Jets really did try to trade Mo and were asking for less than a 1st round pick there wasn't a market for him at the franchise tag price. The Jets don't want to pay him almost 16 mil in 2016 or do other teams. If so why try to trade him (if true). And possibly his asking price for a multi year deal is too expensive. Cap problems for a few million are fixable. But for multi-millions not so easy to fix. 

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Rex hasn't won a damn thing since becoming a NFL HC.

0 Divisional titles

0 Conference Championships

0 Super Bowl titles

In this neck of the woods 4 playoff wins and going to 2 AFC Championships is a big deal. Just like it was in your neck of the woods before BB came aboard. Over the years our two franchises paralleled each other in terms of ineptitude, In a way like the Rangers and Boston Bruins did before expansion.

Archived