Tony Pauline: The Surprise Risers

C Mart

The Surprise Risers

Tony Pauline

Draft Analyst Writer

We’re just a little more than a month out from the first day of the 2017 NFL Draft and the chatter just gets louder and louder. Who’s rising up boards? Which players could slip into the late part of Round 1 or may unexpectedly end up in the very early part of the second frame? Here’s a list of five players who may end up being selected in the draft much earlier than anyone presently predicts.

1) Kevin King/CB/Washington: There are several reasons why King is moving up draft boards. First we must mention the recent injuries suffered by a pair of highly rated cornerbacks -- teammate Sidney Jones and Fabian Moreau of UCLA. This reduces the supply of top-rated corners, which makes the demand for players like King that much greater. And there’s no denying King has helped his own cause. First there was his combine workout when King timed 4.43s in the 40. It wasn’t super fast but was much better than the 4.55s scouts expected. His other marks from Indianapolis -- including 3.89s in the short shuttle and 6.56s in the three-cone -- were exceptional. Lost in the shuffle of the injury sustained by Jones during Washington’s pro day was how good King looked in position drills. As one scout at the workout stated, King “moves exceptionally well for a 200-plus pound athlete.” He is unlikely to make it out of the first round as teams around the league love big, fast corners who can cover. King already worked out for the Tampa Bay Bucs and has a workout as well as a visit scheduled with the New York Jets, who intend to shop the sixth pick of the draft.

2) Forrest Lamp/OL/Western Kentucky: The more I speak with people, the more it seems to be a forgone conclusion Lamp ends up in the bottom half of Round 1. The versatility to play either guard position along with center or left tackle in a pinch has teams salivating. When compared to the other highly rated offensive linemen, Lamp is viewed as the safest and surest of the bunch. He makes perfect sense for the Green Bay Packers in the late part of Round 1 considering the losses the team sustained on the offensive in free agency, and a source from the franchise told me there is interest. The Seattle Seahawks also think highly of Lamp as do the Minnesota Vikings, though Minnesota doesn’t own a first-round pick and would have to trade up to acquire him. Lamp has worked out for the Atlanta Falcons, who own pick No. 31, as well as the Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans.

3) Jordan Willis/DE/Kansas State: Teams love versatile athletes who can rush the passer. Willis proved he was the premiere athlete at the defensive end position during the combine when he timed 4.53s in the 40 and 6.85s in the short shuttle as well as touching 39 inches in the vertical jump after weighing in at 255 pounds. He then went on and showed his versatility at the Wildcats pro day, looking flawless in both defensive line and linebacker drills. I think it will be a stretch for Willis to end up in the late part of Round 1 but would expect him to be off the board during the top half of the second frame. Willis worked out for the Jacksonville Jaguars this week, will be working out for the Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Bucs in the coming weeks and has a visit to Tampa Bay on his schedule. The Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys are also showing a lot of interest in Willis.

4) Tarell Basham/DE/Ohio: Basham is another athletic pass rusher with versatility, but the big attraction here is growth potential. Just under 6-foot-4, the belief is Basham can pack on pounds while keeping his speed (4.7s in the 40 at the combine) and lateral quickness (4.35s in the short shuttle). As proven during Senior Bowl week, he can rush the quarterback out of a three-point stance or standing over tackle. Basham has already worked out with the New England Patriotsand has a workout with the Dallas Cowboys scheduled.

5) Josh Jones/S/North Carolina State: People seem to dismiss Jones when the conversation turns to the top safeties in the draft, though this is not true in the scouting community. He tested incredibly well at the combine and when teams went back and watched the film, they saw a potential top-50 pick. Jones has worked out for the Jacksonville Jaguars and will be working out for the Arizona Cardinals in future. His list of official visits includes the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins and New York Jets.

http://draftanalyst.com/surprise-risers

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

The Surprise Risers

Tony Pauline

Draft Analyst Writer

We’re just a little more than a month out from the first day of the 2017 NFL Draft and the chatter just gets louder and louder. Who’s rising up boards? Which players could slip into the late part of Round 1 or may unexpectedly end up in the very early part of the second frame? Here’s a list of five players who may end up being selected in the draft much earlier than anyone presently predicts.

1) Kevin King/CB/Washington: There are several reasons why King is moving up draft boards. First we must mention the recent injuries suffered by a pair of highly rated cornerbacks -- teammate Sidney Jones and Fabian Moreau of UCLA. This reduces the supply of top-rated corners, which makes the demand for players like King that much greater. And there’s no denying King has helped his own cause. First there was his combine workout when King timed 4.43s in the 40. It wasn’t super fast but was much better than the 4.55s scouts expected. His other marks from Indianapolis -- including 3.89s in the short shuttle and 6.56s in the three-cone -- were exceptional. Lost in the shuffle of the injury sustained by Jones during Washington’s pro day was how good King looked in position drills. As one scout at the workout stated, King “moves exceptionally well for a 200-plus pound athlete.” He is unlikely to make it out of the first round as teams around the league love big, fast corners who can cover. King already worked out for the Tampa Bay Bucs and has a workout as well as a visit scheduled with the New York Jets, who intend to shop the sixth pick of the draft.

2) Forrest Lamp/OL/Western Kentucky: The more I speak with people, the more it seems to be a forgone conclusion Lamp ends up in the bottom half of Round 1. The versatility to play either guard position along with center or left tackle in a pinch has teams salivating. When compared to the other highly rated offensive linemen, Lamp is viewed as the safest and surest of the bunch. He makes perfect sense for the Green Bay Packers in the late part of Round 1 considering the losses the team sustained on the offensive in free agency, and a source from the franchise told me there is interest. The Seattle Seahawks also think highly of Lamp as do the Minnesota Vikings, though Minnesota doesn’t own a first-round pick and would have to trade up to acquire him. Lamp has worked out for the Atlanta Falcons, who own pick No. 31, as well as the Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans.

3) Jordan Willis/DE/Kansas State: Teams love versatile athletes who can rush the passer. Willis proved he was the premiere athlete at the defensive end position during the combine when he timed 4.53s in the 40 and 6.85s in the short shuttle as well as touching 39 inches in the vertical jump after weighing in at 255 pounds. He then went on and showed his versatility at the Wildcats pro day, looking flawless in both defensive line and linebacker drills. I think it will be a stretch for Willis to end up in the late part of Round 1 but would expect him to be off the board during the top half of the second frame. Willis worked out for the Jacksonville Jaguars this week, will be working out for the Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Bucs in the coming weeks and has a visit to Tampa Bay on his schedule. The Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys are also showing a lot of interest in Willis.

4) Tarell Basham/DE/Ohio: Basham is another athletic pass rusher with versatility, but the big attraction here is growth potential. Just under 6-foot-4, the belief is Basham can pack on pounds while keeping his speed (4.7s in the 40 at the combine) and lateral quickness (4.35s in the short shuttle). As proven during Senior Bowl week, he can rush the quarterback out of a three-point stance or standing over tackle. Basham has already worked out with the New England Patriotsand has a workout with the Dallas Cowboys scheduled.

5) Josh Jones/S/North Carolina State: People seem to dismiss Jones when the conversation turns to the top safeties in the draft, though this is not true in the scouting community. He tested incredibly well at the combine and when teams went back and watched the film, they saw a potential top-50 pick. Jones has worked out for the Jacksonville Jaguars and will be working out for the Arizona Cardinals in future. His list of official visits includes the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins and New York Jets.

http://draftanalyst.com/surprise-risers

King would be nice.  Doubt he makes it to the second round though.

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Don't understand why posters are screaming for Sydney Jones at 6 when his teammate-who is just as good-can be had in round 2 or 3

Literally all of UW's starters in the secondary will be good in the nfl

Not sure where you've been the last two weeks but nobody's screaming for Sidney Jones at 6 anymore.  Maybe in the 2nd round if the tear is partial and he might play in 2017, or certainly the 3rd round otherwise. 

19 hours ago, thadude said:

Don't understand why posters are screaming for Sydney Jones at 6 when his teammate-who is just as good-can be had in round 2 or 3

Literally all of UW's starters in the secondary will be good in the nfl

King isn't making it to the 3rd.  I don't think he is making it to the 2nd.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

Jordan Willis/DE/Kansas State

looks slow in games - I think Basham who times much slower in 40 plays way faster and better than Willis

Not saying you are wrong, but I thought the same thing about Danielle Hunter and he has been a very impressive pro.  

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

King isn't making it to the 3rd.  I don't think he is making it to the 2nd.

Not saying you are wrong, but I thought the same thing about Danielle Hunter and he has been a very impressive pro.  

I think after Garrett, Mckinney i'm really not in favor of drafting any OLB as I think it would end up just a marginal improvement on what we already have.  Plus i think the real value in this draft lies in the other positions so dont waste the pick.

7 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think after Garrett, Mckinney i'm really not in favor of drafting any OLB as I think it would end up just a marginal improvement on what we already have.  Plus i think the real value in this draft lies in the other positions so dont waste the pick.

Are you only talking about the first?  OLB/EDGE is a huge value position.  What we have there is questionable at best.  There is absolutely no way on earth that I am allowing squids like Jenkins and Mauldin effect who I draft.  NONE.  Besides the fact that they are borderline players (Mauldin in particular) they are hurt plenty.  Good teams have good athletes, guys like Bowser, Basham, Willis, and others will be there later in the draft.  I absolutely see it as a need for rotational players at minimum.  They started Catapano, Bishop and Ochi at times last year for the love of God!  Signing special team squids like Martin and Lemonier had better not change the draft philosophy.  Having Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett didn't stop the Seahawks from drafting Frank Clark and they are still looking to draft more.  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you only talking about the first?  OLB/EDGE is a huge value position.  What we have there is questionable at best.  There is absolutely no way on earth that I am allowing squids like Jenkins and Mauldin effect who I draft.  NONE.  Besides the fact that they are borderline players (Mauldin in particular) they are hurt plenty.  Good teams have good athletes, guys like Bowser, Basham, Willis, and others will be there later in the draft.  I absolutely see it as a need for rotational players at minimum.  They started Catapano, Bishop and Ochi at times last year for the love of God!  Signing special team squids like Martin and Lemonier had better not change the draft philosophy.  Having Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett didn't stop the Seahawks from drafting Frank Clark and they are still looking to draft more.  

I think Jenkins is going to be good...I never liked Mauldin but he is good rotation.  I am anxious to see what happens with Lemonier as I think he has potential with Green as coach and ditto on Bishop and Martin.  The only OLB outside the 1st 2 I mentioned where I would be ok with is Basham but with his size he is competing more with Jenkins than Mauldin which I dont see the value there especially if we passed on a FS, SS, or CB to get him.

24 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think Jenkins is going to be good...I never liked Mauldin but he is good rotation.  I am anxious to see what happens with Lemonier as I think he has potential with Green as coach and ditto on Bishop and Martin.  The only OLB outside the 1st 2 I mentioned where I would be ok with is Basham but with his size he is competing more with Jenkins than Mauldin which I dont see the value there especially if we passed on a FS, SS, or CB to get him.

So you don't think Willis, Bowser, Hendrickson, Taco Charlton, Watt, Reddick?  None of those guys is even draft worthy?  Hell, you said nobody but McKinley or Garrett, so you don't even like Solomon Thomas who might be the 2nd best choice this draft.  You find potential in a journeyman special teamer from the Ivy League because of our new position coach, but you none of those guys?  SS?  You want to draft a ******* strong safety?  We have like 5 on roster that are better at their respective jobs than Mauldin AND it is a way less valuable position.  

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So you don't think Willis, Bowser, Hendrickson, Taco Charlton, Watt, Reddick?  None of those guys is even draft worthy?  Hell, you said nobody but McKinley or Garrett, so you don't even like Solomon Thomas who might be the 2nd best choice this draft.  You find potential in a journeyman special teamer from the Ivy League because of our new position coach, but you none of those guys?  SS?  You want to draft a ******* strong safety?  We have like 5 on roster that are better at their respective jobs than Mauldin AND it is a way less valuable position.  

that is exactly what I am saying.

I am not a Solomon fan - I have watched his games I think he is good but I do not see him as top 10

Reddick not a 3/4 OLB too small

Willis plays slow to me I dont think he worth any of our 1st 4 picks

Taco I see much like Solomon but less worth top 10 and he really does not fit jets

I actually like Watt's teamate better than Watt but again would not be worth one of our 1st 4 picks

so sure I would like any of the ones you mentioned but not where we pick and I think I would rather get the Jones, Baker, King, Tre white, etc. where all those guys projected to get picked.

I also want them to draft TE like Sprinkle/Kittle and pick up a RB bruiser type

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

that is exactly what I am saying.

I am not a Solomon fan - I have watched his games I think he is good but I do not see him as top 10

Reddick not a 3/4 OLB too small

Willis plays slow to me I dont think he worth any of our 1st 4 picks

Taco I see much like Solomon but less worth top 10 and he really does not fit jets

I actually like Watt's teamate better than Watt but again would not be worth one of our 1st 4 picks

so sure I would like any of the ones you mentioned but not where we pick and I think I would rather get the Jones, Baker, King, Tre white, etc. where all those guys projected to get picked.

I also want them to draft TE like Sprinkle/Kittle and pick up a RB bruiser type

Eh.  So you were talking about at 6?   Sure, but I see plenty of those guys as considerably higher than 4th round picks, so the idea some lower level CB is going to be better or a 3rd RB seems out there to me.  For a TE I'd probably prefer Hodges, but I haven't watched much college ball.  Rating positions I see OLB might be next after QB as far as I am concerned and you can stockpile them.  I like King.  A lot.  The CB much more than the safety, but I don't even think he will make it to our 2nd.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  So you were talking about at 6?   Sure, but I see plenty of those guys as considerably higher than 4th round picks, so the idea some lower level CB is going to be better or a 3rd RB seems out there to me.  For a TE I'd probably prefer Hodges, but I haven't watched much college ball.  Rating positions I see OLB might be next after QB as far as I am concerned and you can stockpile them.  I like King.  A lot.  The CB much more than the safety, but I don't even think he will make it to our 2nd.

well right now our best Safety is Miles - Gilhurst we dont even know if will be on team and I have never been a fan of Pryor....one of the deepest positions in this draft aligns with our need so I expect we will pick a S within those 1st 4 picks (Baker and Jones are my fav).

CB is also very deep and a position of need to I expect a CB as one of those 1st 4 picks

so that leaves us 2 left - with the 6th pick I am hoping offence Fournette, Williams, or Howard - I dont think they will go CB or S but who knows

so that leaves 1 pick left in 1st 4 between rounds 2-3 where I think the CB and S will be the priority so with that last pick in 3rd I think most of the guys you mention will be gone and the only ones left would be Willis, Bowser, etc...exactly the guys that I think are really not much of an upgrade over what we already have so I would pass and pick up BPA in T, C, TE, RB, ILB

24 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

well right now our best Safety is Miles - Gilhurst we dont even know if will be on team and I have never been a fan of Pryor....one of the deepest positions in this draft aligns with our need so I expect we will pick a S within those 1st 4 picks (Baker and Jones are my fav).

CB is also very deep and a position of need to I expect a CB as one of those 1st 4 picks

so that leaves us 2 left - with the 6th pick I am hoping offence Fournette, Williams, or Howard - I dont think they will go CB or S but who knows

so that leaves 1 pick left in 1st 4 between rounds 2-3 where I think the CB and S will be the priority so with that last pick in 3rd I think most of the guys you mention will be gone and the only ones left would be Willis, Bowser, etc...exactly the guys that I think are really not much of an upgrade over what we already have so I would pass and pick up BPA in T, C, TE, RB, ILB

Got it.  Agree to disagree.  I strongly disagree with any philosophy that says draft a CB in this round and a S in this round.  I ******* despise need based drafting.  If the players are close, fine, but a deep draft is a deep draft, you have to take what falls to you.  Additionally, I think OLB is more of a need than S, so I disagree on literally every level.  1. More important position, 2. Bigger need.  I believe that you should ignore #2 when drafting anyway. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Got it.  Agree to disagree.  I strongly disagree with any philosophy that says draft a CB in this round and a S in this round.  I ******* despise need based drafting.  If the players are close, fine, but a deep draft is a deep draft, you have to take what falls to you.  Additionally, I think OLB is more of a need than S, so I disagree on literally every level.  1. More important position, 2. Bigger need.  I believe that you should ignore #2 when drafting anyway. 

well only 4 weeks left so we shall see what happens soon - it cant come soon enough.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think you mean that we will see what happened to us in 3 years.  

This is a make or break draft for the Jets IMO.  If he hits it out of the park or even does ok then potential playoff team in next few years....if he fails in this draft we are looking at a new regime change which will set them back min another 5 years.

Archived