Jets | Nugent Ready to be Scrutinized

Smizzy

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:26:47 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets rookie PK Mike Nugent knows he will be under a lot of scrutiny when training camp opens and he's ready for it. Kickers, already seen as head cases, face even more pressure when selected with a high draft pick. Nugent will be trying to make it in the toughest sports media market, and he already has had a taste of the scrutiny here: At an earlier minicamp, media members charted each of his kicks. "I've never had any concern with my confidence," Nugent said. "It has always been my goal that if we get to a certain goal line that we're going to get at least three points. My next step to get that confidence in everyone else, my teammates, my coaches." At Ohio State, Nugent made 65 of 74 field-goal attempts in his final three seasons, including eight of nine from 50 yards or more. As a senior, Nugent was solid on kickoffs as 40 of his 62 kickoffs were touchbacks.

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:26:47 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets rookie PK Mike Nugent knows he will be under a lot of scrutiny when training camp opens and he's ready for it. Kickers, already seen as head cases, face even more pressure when selected with a high draft pick. Nugent will be trying to make it in the toughest sports media market, and he already has had a taste of the scrutiny here: At an earlier minicamp, media members charted each of his kicks. "I've never had any concern with my confidence," Nugent said. "It has always been my goal that if we get to a certain goal line that we're going to get at least three points. My next step to get that confidence in everyone else, my teammates, my coaches." At Ohio State, Nugent made 65 of 74 field-goal attempts in his final three seasons, including eight of nine from 50 yards or more. As a senior, Nugent was solid on kickoffs as 40 of his 62 kickoffs were touchbacks.

Nugent made 65 of 74 field-goal attempts in his final three seasons, including eight of nine from 50 yards or more. As a senior, Nugent was solid on kickoffs as 40 of his 62 kickoffs were touchbacks.

And people say he doesn't have a strong leg and that he can't get the touchbacks...fools. 5 yards more in college, whoptie doo, bet you at least 25-30 would've been anyway if they were from NFL length.

Nugent made 65 of 74 field-goal attempts in his final three seasons, including eight of nine from 50 yards or more. As a senior, Nugent was solid on kickoffs as 40 of his 62 kickoffs were touchbacks.

And people say he doesn't have a strong leg and that he can't get the touchbacks...fools. 5 yards more in college, whoptie doo, bet you at least 25-30 would've been anyway if they were from NFL length.

very true...

only in NY does a kicker get this much attention..lol

You are certainly going to get high pressure scrutiny in New York whatever the sport that you play here. With last year's season ending for the Jets the way it did just adds to the pressure on Nugent coming in along with being a high draft choice.

very true...

only in NY does a kicker get this much attention..lol

You are certainly going to get high pressure scrutiny in New York whatever the sport that you play here. With last year's season ending for the Jets the way it did just adds to the pressure on Nugent coming in along with being a high draft choice.

Then why during the NFL combine, from NFL distance, Nugent could not get ONE kick-off in the endzone?

Then why during the NFL combine, from NFL distance, Nugent could not get ONE kick-off in the endzone?

When he scores in the top 10 of kickers this season will you still worry about how far he can kick the ball off?

When he scores in the top 10 of kickers this season will you still worry about how far he can kick the ball off?

5 yards?

I know for sure that the NFL kicksoff from the 20 yard line, and I think college kicksoff from the 30 yard line, so that would be a 10 yard difference, a big time difference.

If Nugey can get good hangtime and just kick the ball inside the 5 everytime, I'll be happy.

5 yards?

I know for sure that the NFL kicksoff from the 20 yard line, and I think college kicksoff from the 30 yard line, so that would be a 10 yard difference, a big time difference.

If Nugey can get good hangtime and just kick the ball inside the 5 everytime, I'll be happy.

Wow, scoring in the top 31% of all kickers in the NFL for a #2 draft pick. That's what I call a GREAT return on investment. :shock:

LOL....What rookie is going to come in this year and score in the top 10 @ their position?

Let's make this very easy for you to understand Tx....Doug Jolley + Mike Nugent = our 1st rd pick. Do the math.

Wow, scoring in the top 31% of all kickers in the NFL for a #2 draft pick. That's what I call a GREAT return on investment. :shock:

LOL....What rookie is going to come in this year and score in the top 10 @ their position?

Let's make this very easy for you to understand Tx....Doug Jolley + Mike Nugent = our 1st rd pick. Do the math.

I don't think he will be top-ten, only because all of his points will be extra points.

:D

I don't think he will be top-ten, only because all of his points will be extra points.

:D

5 yards?

are you serious? :?

The NFL kicks off from the 30, the NCAA from the 35.

5 yards?

I could be wrong on this but I thought I had heard that the ball the NFL uses for kicking is slightly heavier than their standard gameball. Whatever it is, something changes between college and NFL. In college, you would be hard pressed to find a kicker that doesn't kick the ball clean out of the back of the endzone. In the NFL, that is pretty much a rarity so if that's what you're expecting from Nugent, you've already set the bar way too high.

I could be wrong on this but I thought I had heard that the ball the NFL uses for kicking is slightly heavier than their standard gameball. Whatever it is, something changes between college and NFL. In college, you would be hard pressed to find a kicker that doesn't kick the ball clean out of the back of the endzone. In the NFL, that is pretty much a rarity so if that's what you're expecting from Nugent, you've already set the bar way too high.

The NCAA allows kickers and punters to use their own ball which is of course inflated an extra 5-10 PSI to make it a freaking golf ball when it's kicked. The NFL took away the "kicking ball" a few seasons ago and ruined some dude's careers.

As for Nuge, his big test will come when he misses his first 35 yarder. After that he'll be tested mentally every time he lines up for a kick.

The NCAA allows kickers and punters to use their own ball which is of course inflated an extra 5-10 PSI to make it a freaking golf ball when it's kicked. The NFL took away the "kicking ball" a few seasons ago and ruined some dude's careers.

As for Nuge, his big test will come when he misses his first 35 yarder. After that he'll be tested mentally every time he lines up for a kick.

Interesting thing I just found. You know who was second in the NFL in touchbacks on kickoffs last season? Your very own Mikah Knorr. Perhaps Nugent won't even be sniffing the field on kickoffs.

Interesting thing I just found. You know who was second in the NFL in touchbacks on kickoffs last season? Your very own Mikah Knorr. Perhaps Nugent won't even be sniffing the field on kickoffs.

He got those in Denver, right? Touchbacks are over-rated. As long as Nugent makes his FG's it doesn't matter if he only kicks it to the five.

Archived