Curtis Martin Article From The NY Daily News

Maxman

Martin ready to carry Jets

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Curtis Martin

If you're already the best, how do you get better?

Curtis Martin pondered that question in the offseason. He captured his first NFL rushing crown last season, amassing a career-high 1,697 yards, but he wasn't satisfied with his seemingly flawless performance. When he reviewed his season, he found an imperfection.

Not enough long runs.

Indeed, Martin became the first player in history to surpass the 1,500-yard mark without breaking a run longer than 25 yards. So he returned to the famous staircase along the seaside cliff in Santa Monica, Calif., where he trained before the 2004 season. This time, the Jets' star runner focused on speed work. He didn't run the 200 steps; he sprinted.

"I ran full speed - or as fast as I could without tripping," Martin said during a break at training camp. "It really gave me a whole other level of conditioning and strength."

Cynics will say it's impossible for a 32-year-old back, one with 13,366 yards on his odometer, to get faster. The way Martin sees it, it's not a matter of shaving fractions off his stopwatch time.

"I can run with anybody for the first 30 yards," he said. "I want to be able to maintain my top-end speed over long distances. I want to get more big runs."

Martin was the oldest back in history to win the rushing crown - no player over 30 ever rushed for that many yards - but it also marked the first time in his 10-year career that he didn't break anything longer than 34 yards.

In a way, it symbolized Martin's career: There weren't many spectacular plays, but he was spectacularly consistent. It moved him up to fourth on the all-time rushing list and probably secured a place in the Hall of Fame. He can afford to take a bow and fade gracefully into the shadows, but he's planning an encore.

"I've always had an encore in mind," said Martin, who expects to play at least two more years. "I'm a guy who never lowers his standards. I'm always trying to outdo myself. I'm in as good a shape as I was last year."

Martin declined to predict a yardage total, but he said confidently, "I don't expect too much to change, personally."

But the Jets' offense has changed. Coordinator Paul Hackett, who loved to feed the ball to Martin, has been replaced by Mike Heimerdinger. Everyone in camp is buzzing about the new passing philosophy, how the Jets are planning to attack downfield. But how does Martin fit into the grand scheme?

"I'm not dumb enough to take the leading rusher in the NFL and not give him the ball," Heimerdinger said. "Our head coach still believes in running the ball, so that's not going to change.

"This isn't going to be the old Raider days of Daryle Lamonica, throwing the ball 70 yards," he continued. "We're going to try to be balanced. I'm not going to forget about No. 28 in the backfield."

Changes in personnel could have an impact on Martin. He lost two rugged blockers to free agency, right tackle Kareem McKenzie and tight end Anthony Becht. Martin also lost his longtime understudy, LaMont Jordan, an ideal complement because of his power and speed.

The new backup is former Chiefs scatback Derrick Blaylock, who must earn the trust of Herm Edwards. The Jets signed Blaylock with the idea of giving him a handful of carries per game, but it isn't easy to keep Martin on the bench. "I expect to get the ball as much as last year, especially with LaMont gone," said Martin, who set a career high with 371 carries.

Martin was offered a day off Saturday; he declined. Edwards presented the same offer yesterday. Same response.

The sprint is on.

Edit by TomShane: Martin is old, slow and a metrosexual...

Will I really get in here and post something positive before the Herm and Martin bashers show up?

Edit by TomShane: No. :lol:

The guy is a tank and a thoughtful tank. He knows that while he did win the rushing leader he didn't get big break away runs and works on it. What other player puts as much of his body and mind but as little of his mouth in the game?

For the two that are going to show up and talk about Dingers quote. Over half of the HCs in the NFL believe in running the ball and that does not mean he is pumping Martin's numbers.

As I Jet fan, I couldn't be more proud of the fact the Curtis Martin plays for our team and represents all that is GOOD with the game.

Flame on.

BZ

1740 will be Martins total yards when its all said and done this year.

Why?

Becuase He will last longer. He will be able to have those hudge breaks for 20-30 yards at end of games because the jets will be a little more focused on tthrowing the ball. That will give martin time to rest, which will help him down the stretch.

I see it this way, The whole "were going to pass" thrill the media is having, is all taking away attention from the big 28. Catch offenses of guard.

Just watch.

just watch.

Will I really get in here and post something positive before the Herm and Martin bashers show up?

The guy is a tank and a thoughtful tank. He knows that while he did win the rushing leader he didn't get big break away runs and works on it. What other player puts as much of his body and mind but as little of his mouth in the game?

For the two that are going to show up and talk about Dingers quote. Over half of the HCs in the NFL believe in running the ball and that does not mean he is pumping Martin's numbers.

As I Jet fan, I couldn't be more proud of the fact the Curtis Martin plays for our team and represents all that is GOOD with the game.

Flame on.

BZ

=D> easily one of the best the Jets have ever had, inspirational.

1740 will be Martins total yards when its all said and done this year.

Why?

Becuase He will last longer. He will be able to have those hudge breaks for 20-30 yards at end of games because the jets will be a little more focused on tthrowing the ball. That will give martin time to rest, which will help him down the stretch.

I see it this way, The whole "were going to pass" thrill the media is having, is all taking away attention from the big 28. Catch offenses of guard.

Just watch.

just watch.

I can run with anybody for the first 30 yards???

Randy Moss,Coles,Santana and every other speed

player in the NFL and Martin can stay with them

for 30 yds?? :^o And Scottie you picked on that draw

play deal by saying Jordan had more draw plays in

04 then Martin..And then went into well..But on 3rd

down when it was more then 6 yds..Beer sales were up

Hotdogs sales were down and the Wind was blowing

from the east and the Temp was less then 67 degrees!

You talk about dancing?? You would make Fred Astaire

look like he had a club foot!! :mrgreen:

Here's the deal on Martin! Since he's been a Jet he

avg's 7 and 1/2 TD's a year and gets the Big Bucks!

Whoopie Doo! :roll:I bet you Guys would LOVE a QB that threw

for 5,000 yds and 4 TD's instead of a QB that has

3100 yds and 31 TD's!! Points win games kiddies not

stats unless that stat is a TD!!

You only like the stats when they go your way.

Curtis Martin has proved you and every other neh-sayer wrong time and time again. You say he is too old and can't run. He rushes for the most yards. You say he can't get TDs, he pulls up 12 last year.

Nobody will claim he is the fastest, biggest, bad ass back on the field but he is consistantly great, durable, sure-handed, passionate and hard working. His yards come from work, not from 50 yard break aways which makes them more hard earned and better yards.

So, again, this year you can line up with all the doubters and enjoy a sideline view of one of the best running backs in the league and a living legend.

Enjoy.

BZ

Nothing to see here, just token Martin-bashing from Savage, move along now.

A post complimenting Curtis to Savage is almost akin to throwing a meaty bone to...

2004-05-20dog.jpg

:mrgreen:

Why can't you Guys ever Talk Fact and reality??

Jetswin do you really think Martin can stay with

anyone in the NFL for 30 yds?? I'm saying the NFL

your Hero said ANYONE!! Would you bet your Life

on that?? How about a warm beer?? :mrgreen: You

know what the real problem I have with most Fans?

They constantly apologize and make excuses for their

favorite players(And Coaches)! Tell me your favorite

Martin Playoff TD scoring play he's had since Hermie

has been HC!!(Crickets Chirping) =D>

Sav-Try and not take yourself so seriously. You can have an agenda, that is fine. Just the same, others can have their opinion.

You want to throw out numbers and act like those are the only things that matter. And, when you get thrown something that goes contrary to your agenda, you ignore it (remember when I told you about Martins yards on 3rd and 6+, and you said "Where? I would like to see that"). When that happens all of a sudden the aganda shifts in other directions [-X

For once, don't vbe the old codger that is never wrong :mrgreen:

And again, please don't put words in my mouth that I NEVER wrote. [-X

Sav-Try and not take yourself so seriously. You can have an agenda, that is fine. Just the same, others can have their opinion.

You want to throw out numbers and act like those are the only things that matter. And, when you get thrown something that goes contrary to your agenda, you ignore it (remember when I told you about Martins yards on 3rd and 6+, and you said "Where? I would like to see that"). When that happens all of a sudden the aganda shifts in other directions [-X

For once, don't vbe the old codger that is never wrong :mrgreen:

And again, please don't put words in my mouth that I NEVER wrote. [-X

Scottie "My Agenda" as you put it is to see the Jets

win the Super Bowl!! And I would like to see them

get the players that can function in Big Games to

accomplish just that!! If you think the 32 year old

Martin is the back to do that,I do respect your

opinion!(Nice to see you like the Old Fellers) :mrgreen:

From what I've seen him do in

Big Games I have my doubts! Do you honestly think

if Martin Wowed us in the playoffs 3 out of the last

4 yr's I'd have a problem with him?? I'd be wearing

a 28 jersey if he did that!! But he doesn't! :cry:

PS..I went to that ESPN site and couldn't find

that section you were talking about! If your ever

there again copy it if you can!I believe you I just

like Facts and that type of info is interesting!

And BTW YOU were the one that made the Draw Play

thing a issue!! My original statement is true! The

majority of Draw plays were Martins!! :wink:

Scottie "My Agenda" as you put it is to see the Jets

win the Super Bowl!! And I would like to see them

get the players that can function in Big Games to

accomplish just that!! If you think the 32 year old

Martin is the back to do that,I do respect your

opinion!(Nice to see you like the Old Fellers) :mrgreen:

From what I've seen him do in

Big Games I have my doubts! Do you honestly think

if Martin Wowed us in the playoffs 3 out of the last

4 yr's I'd have a problem with him?? I'd be wearing

a 28 jersey if he did that!! But he doesn't! :cry:

PS..I went to that ESPN site and couldn't find

that section you were talking about! If your ever

there again copy it if you can!I believe you I just

like Facts and that type of info is interesting!

And BTW YOU were the one that made the Draw Play

thing a issue!! My original statement is true! The

majority of Draw plays were Martins!! :wink:

All is good my friend. I just want to keep you on your toes :wink:

I have NEVER said that Martin is in the class of Jim Brown or other greats. I do beleive he will rank in teh top 20 of backs I HAVE seen. That covers 32 years

Why can't you Guys ever Talk Fact and reality??

Jetswin do you really think Martin can stay with

anyone in the NFL for 30 yds?? I'm saying the NFL

your Hero said ANYONE!! Would you bet your Life

on that?? How about a warm beer?? :mrgreen: You

know what the real problem I have with most Fans?

They constantly apologize and make excuses for their

favorite players(And Coaches)! Tell me your favorite

Martin Playoff TD scoring play he's had since Hermie

has been HC!!(Crickets Chirping) =D>

Let's see Curtis has 8 post season TD's...granted none with Herm at the helm (basically because Lamont got the goaline calls) or as I'm sure you'd argue he can't break the long one. Barry Sanders has 1 post season TD btw, just thought I'd thow that out there.

I have NEVER said that Martin is in the class of Jim Brown or other greats. I do beleive he will rank in teh top 20 of backs I HAVE seen. That covers 32 years

Hell In "durability" next to Brown Martin would be

number 2 on my list!! And Top 20 backs?? Ok..In

your 32 years that's fair..The Problem I have

always had with that 1000+ in straight seasons

though to me is a Joke! It was meant to be a Goal

in the shorter season years with alot less carries!

Check this link from our super bowl year!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/leadersafl1969.htm If your

getting almost twice the carries and playing more

Games of course it's easy to get 1000+ a year!!For

the Hell of it how many 1000+ seasons would Martin

have with that amt of carries using his ypc avg??

Plus how many TD's would he have had with that amt

of carries in 12 or 14 season years?? #-o

Let's see Curtis has 8 post season TD's...granted none with Herm at the helm (basically because Lamont got the goaline calls) or as I'm sure you'd argue he can't break the long one. Barry Sanders has 1 post season TD btw, just thought I'd thow that out there.

Why would I care what a retired Lion Back did??

That's a lie about Lamont getting All the Goal

line calls in the playoffs BTW!! Have you

been taking Lessons at the Dirking Dance Academy

again?? =D> How about Cumar bragging he can stay

with anyone for the first 30 yds?? I doubt he could

stay with Abe for the first 30 yds with a bad knee! :lol:

And if your going to expand on the Question

I asked playoff wise how did he do in the 96 Super

Bowl and the Denver Championship Game?? :wink:

Maybe when Curtis was saying how he can go step for step with anybody he was talking about defensive players!!

Sure Deangelo Hall would totally burn him on the track, even if the track was just 20 yards long, but Curtis showed he does have some speed because he often breezes right by the linebackers but cant get past the DBs (at least for the most part, he did own the bengal and dolphin DBs last season)

I love this article. I was about to post it but saw that Max started a thread. Definetly 1 of Ciminis best works this offseason.

I've been saying it time after time. Martin will have at least 5, probably more than 5, runs over 25 yards this season. Unlike past seasons we know have a deep threat or at least we will know throw the ball deep. Teams will have to play softer coverages and play back alittle more because of Coles, JMac and Jolley with the threat of them going 40 yards downfield each play and scorching teams for long TD passes. This will open up lanes for Martin and good downfield blocking by Coles, JMac, Mawae, Kendall and Jolley will definetly open up some LARGE runs for Curtis. Great article by Cimini.

Predicition: Martin tops last seasons career high YPC

I've been saying it time after time. Martin will have at least 5, probably more than 5, runs over 25 yards this season.

barton, CuMar does not have the speed nor strength to break a 25-yard run let alone five or more.

The dude goes down with arm tackles and Oprah Winfrey can run him down in an open field.

barton, CuMar does not have the speed nor strength to break a 25-yard run let alone five or more.

The dude goes down with arm tackles and Oprah Winfrey can run him down in an open field.

If Curtis stays healthy, that is my predicition and I will stand by it.

He had 2 25 yard runs last season, ironically both were TD runs. (1st week of season and then MNF against the phins) Both games he breezed right by the DBs on route to a touchdown. He's got the speed and when he wants to he can break tackles.

If Curtis stays healthy, that is my predicition and I will stand by it.

He had 2 25 yard runs last season, ironically both were TD runs. (1st week of season and then MNF against the phins) Both games he breezed right by the DBs on route to a touchdown. He's got the speed and when he wants to he can break tackles.

When he Wants he can break Tackles?? So when he's

tackled he just didn't feel like breaking that one?

Wow I'm glad you cleared that up for me!! :mrgreen:

I have to say Career wise you have a fair point EB!!

What Amazed me was as a rookie Martin had 11 20+

runs and 14 td's! The next year he had only 3 but

still had 14 TD's..Points are all I care about! But

Martin has avg over 6 20+ runs in his career so it's

not that far fetched providing he gets his 330 carry

a year avg!!

PS If I was you get your prediction to 20+ runs

not 25+ runs! :wink:

I think you know what I mean savage.

Curtis purposely goes down easy after he picks up a 1st down because he wants to save himself for 2 reasons

1. To be just as strong and quick in the 4th quarter as he was in the 1st

2. To be just as strong and quick in the 2nd half of the season as he was in the 1st

When Curtis doenst go down easy on purpose he'll try to wiggle out and break those tackles. Curtis sees that he needs more long runs, so it would be my guess we will see him fight for more big runs this season by trying to break as many tackles in the 2nd and 3rd level as possible. He might get knocked around even harder, but that comes with the territory of trying to break tackles.

And yes, 25+ yard runs 8)

When he Wants he can break Tackles?? So when he's

tackled he just didn't feel like breaking that one?

Come on savage, you are smarter than that.

It is yet another example of Martin padding his stats.

If he goes down and doesn't fight to break tackles he won't fumble.

And we all know that Martin is one of the best backs in NFL history when it comes to fumbles per carry. :wink:

I love all the negativity about things

that do not warrant any negativity

at all!! What's the matter, not gettin

enough at night!! Wifey holdin the

cookie back!! Curtis is a top 5

rusher of alltime and you negative saps

insist on crapping on his life!! Our

running back has been the surest thing

on our team over the last 5+ years!!

Get off the damn rag on our football

team and start rooting!! Your life can't

be THAT miserable that you need to

complain about absolutely everything!! :mrgreen:

Come on savage, you are smarter than that.

It is yet another example of Martin padding his stats.

If he goes down and doesn't fight to break tackles he won't fumble.

And we all know that Martin is one of the best backs in NFL history when it comes to fumbles per carry. :wink:

Using that logic, you would consider him a much better back worthy of your praise if he held the ball a-la Tiki Barber while trying to get a few more yards but fumbled nearly once a game. You know, just give the ball to the opposition.

Sorry, that just doesn't cut it with me.

I think it's better to hold onto the ball than it is to risk losing it by fighting for a few freaking yards (in MOST situations, there are exceptions of course)

You won't win a game if you can't score.

You can't score if you turn the ball over.

Hence, turning the ball over is bad.

If you call that "stat-padding", you're more ignorant than I originally thought, dickhole.

I love all the negativity about things

that do not warrant any negativity

at all!! What's the matter, not gettin

enough at night!! Wifey holdin the

cookie back!! Curtis is a top 5

rusher of alltime and you negative saps

insist on crapping on his life!! Our

running back has been the surest thing

on our team over the last 5+ years!!

Get off the damn rag on our football

team and start rooting!! Your life can't

be THAT miserable that you need to

complain about absolutely everything!! :mrgreen:

First off nothing is more Fun then Busting the

Chops of Kool-Aid drinking Fans like yourself

that start crying and name calling! (Surest is

that a Word?) in the last 5 years?? I know he's

been money in the playoffs! :mrgreen: Tell you

what..Until they stop using points like TD's and

use just stats to decide which Team wins the Game

I'll prefer a back that scores TD's!! :wink:

Only 2 things that Hermophiles and Martinette's

care about..Hermie has the job for Life and Martin

has a good year to build his stats..The Team be

Dammed!! :roll:

FACT: CuMar is a top 5 RB because of longevity and durability.

FACT: He always come up small in big game (playoffs) situations.

Coming soon Tex..The Jets lose a Game 28-24..

Hermie runs to the Ref and says;Don't you realize

Martin is the 5th all time Rusher?? The Ref immediately

gives the Win to the Jets!! :mrgreen:

First off nothing is more Fun then Busting the

Chops of Kool-Aid drinking Fans like yourself

that start crying and name calling! (Surest is

that a Word?) in the last 5 years?? I know he's

been money in the playoffs! :mrgreen: Tell you

what..Until they stop using points like TD's and

use just stats to decide which Team wins the Game

I'll prefer a back that scores TD's!! :wink:

Only 2 things that Hermophiles and Martinette's

care about..Hermie has the job for Life and Martin

has a good year to build his stats..The Team be

Dammed!! :roll:

Oh yeah, I agree. He just wants to pad his stats. :roll:

He doesn't really want to win. :roll:

As long as he gets to sit at the right hand of the football god when it's all over, why would he want the Lombardi Trophy? :roll:

He's selfish that way. :roll:

He's all about himself. :roll:

He doesn't care about the team, or a Championship. :roll:

Damn him!

He's all, "ME! ME! ME!"

All he wants is the HOF. :roll:

Super Bowl victories are silly. :roll:

He's laughing at us all the way to the bank. :roll:

Archived