Hodges Can THROW

jetsrule128

hutchinson

http://www.nj.com/jets/

And the winner is. Drum roll, please.

Reggie Hodges.

The Jets announced this morning that they signed Hodges to their active roster to replace veteran Ben Graham, who was released yesterday. Hodges won a three-way competition between himself, veteran Josh Miller and Waylon Prather on Tuesday.

Prather was signed to the practice squad, perhaps as insurance if Hodges bombs.

Hodges, who is believed to be the only active African-American punter in the NFL, has had brief stints with the Rams and Eagles in 2005 -- averaging 37.4 yard on 41 punts in eight games -- and was most recently cut from the Patriots practice squad. Coach Eric Mangini said the team liked him coming out of college (Ball St.) and followed his career.

Mangini said that Hodges knocked the coaching staff dead in his workout and also has the ability to throw the ball. The statement about Hodges being able to throw was a bit strange because Mangini usually never devulges nuggets like that.

And then, he goes out and lets Hodges throw a pass out of punt formation to wide receiver Wallace Wright during practice in front of the media. Despite his best efforts, Man-genuis still has a cool relationship with the media but doesn't mind uses us to get something out.

I don't care if he can throw, do tax returns and tune up cars. It sounds like he can't punt. 37.4 average??? And hasn't punted for real since 2005?

I was sick of Graham too, but this is who they replace him with???

DM

I know his resume does not exactly give us Jet fans much confidence does it?

Tupe was never #2 in the QB depth chart. Never. Having said that, he did come in at QB once, and threw a TD on his first play!

You have to check the "Brett Ratliff was inactive" thread. They sometimes put Tupa at #2 on the depth chart to have an extra active body. That way they could keep the true #2 as the #3 QB and use him only in case of emergency.

You have to check the "Brett Ratliff was inactive" thread. They sometimes put Tupa at #2 on the depth chart to have an extra active body. That way they could keep the true #2 as the #3 QB and use him only in case of emergency.

I read the thread, and it was more or less accurate. The point is that you said that Tupe was listed #2 on the QB depth chart, and that just never happened.

I read the thread, and it was more or less accurate. The point is that you said that Tupe was listed #2 on the QB depth chart, and that just never happened.

1. I'm not the one that said it.

2. To be the second active QB is to be second on the depth chart. When Vinny (I think that's who it was) got hurt, Tupa had to step in because he was second on the depth chart. It's like saying Cassell was never #1 on the depth chart. He's starting, so he's #1. Tupa was the only other QB and so was 2nd on the depth chart. He might not have been #2 to start a game, but technically he was #2.

Archived