Watching Woodhead dance and juke his way for 5+ yards....

Steveg

So if we did not have McKnight on the team won't that have opened up a roster spot ?

yes but I don't believe Woodhead was going to be on the team much longer anyway. If he was really that important to the Jets they wouldn't have released him in the first place. They tried with him. As a swing back, as a slot reciever, as a gunner. He just didn't fit the Jets scheme. He didn't contribute to the Jets, end of story

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes but I don't believe Woodhead was going to be on the team much longer anyway. If he was really that important to the Jets they wouldn't have released him in the first place. They tried with him. As a swing back, as a slot reciever, as a gunner. He just didn't fit the Jets scheme. He didn't contribute to the Jets, end of story

Not so sure. He made the initial team. If McKnight was not there they would have an extra spot for Clowney. Makes sense ? The made space for Clowney after the offensive debalce in the opening game.

This has to be a ******* joke, no? The little piece of sh*t was hand picked by the Jets FO and he elected to got to the Jets when the entire league had a free shot at him. Still, the Jets don't know how to evaluate talent. Then we are supposed to blame Schottenheimer for not using him in the slot when he the one that put the little sh*t in #83 and used him in the slot. Your QB has trouble looking past his first option, it's not like he was going to be locating that midget enough to make a difference.

What ******* player did Schottenheimer wear down? LT? The only backup the guy had was the same McKnight everybody is maligning here and McKnight was inactive most of the time. He kept Thomas Jones sorry a$$ fresh. The team carries 3,000 defensive backs. There are no back ups for him to rotate in. They carried only 3 WR most of last season and Cotchery was hurt most of the time. The reason they cut Woodhead was because with Holmes suspended they needed another WR for the game.

You want to blame somebody for Woodhead being cut, blame Rex or Westhoff. They are ones that carried all those other players instead. Cumberland was kept on the roster all year and barely active. They liked these players better. Get over it. Good teams cut good players.

///end thread

The only part you left out is, I dont even think the Jets anticipated him getting picked up. I think they believed they could release him for a game and bring him back.

Not so sure. He made the initial team. If McKnight was not there they would have an extra spot for Clowney. Makes sense ? The made space for Clowney after the offensive debalce in the opening game.

I see your point and I understand your perspective. The thing is that Danny just wasn't a fit for the Jets. The only reason this is being discussed is because the team he is on now.

Woodhaed was/is a good football player. The Jets play far too much politics when it comes to the roster. We hung on to Gholston when we all (except for Bit) knew he was horrendous. Draft pick player. We hung on to McKnight when he couldn't crack the active roster and threw up all over himself in preseason. Draft pick player. We are currently hanging on to Ducasse who is so bad, bad players are offended he's giving them a bad name. Draft pick player. We don't like to admit mistakes here in NY. Woodhaed was a player and did the most with the least every time he got a chance. but he wasn't a draft pick player. Bellicheck has the confidence and reputation to basically build his team the way he wants it. And he gets the Woodheads, Moss's, Welkers, etc. that other teams cast off. And he cuts his under-performers, draft pick or not.

Woodhaed was/is a good football player. The Jets play far too much politics when it comes to the roster. We hung on to Gholston when we all (except for Bit) knew he was horrendous. Draft pick player. We hung on to McKnight when he couldn't crack the active roster and threw up all over himself in preseason. Draft pick player. We are currently hanging on to Ducasse who is so bad, bad players are offended he's giving them a bad name. Draft pick player. We don't like to admit mistakes here in NY. Woodhaed was a player and did the most with the least every time he got a chance. but he wasn't a draft pick player. Bellicheck has the confidence and reputation to basically build his team the way he wants it. And he gets the Woodheads, Moss's, Welkers, etc. that other teams cast off. And he cuts his under-performers, draft pick or not.

I respectfully call bullsh*t.

We kept these players around because their potential is great enough that to outweigh any slight possibility that they will be outplayed short term by whatever waiver wire JAG you are discussing. With Gholston there was also the fact that cutting him in at least a couple of those years would have cost us cap space. The huge number of UDFA players the Jets have playing starting roles has already been posted and I believe that it was in this thread. The team drafted these players because it saw something in them. Cracking the active roster is usually a function of scheme and special teams.

The Jets carried Ropati Pitoitua on the roster all of 2009 without using him much at all. I think he was in for 20-30 snaps and plenty of those were probably FG and FG block. He is now part of the reason the team let Shaun Ellis walk. Everybody is in love with Cumberland now, well he was on the roster for ALL of 2010 and I don't think he was active for more than a game or two. He was surel there and inactive when Woodhead got cut.

You can make the case that in 2 season and probably around 6 active games Joe McKnight has personally won the Jets two - Sunday night and the Bills finale last year. Danny Woodhead can play, but as has been stated he does not fit our system. We are looking for downhill runners and he simply can't do that. He's a bad fit and you don't win the NFL by carrying players just so that they don't help another team. Let alone how unfair it is to the player. Additionally, the guy was cut and brought back a bunch of times and the Pats didn't touch him. He ended up there because they were desperate. Give him credit, he made the most of his opportunity.

Based on what I've seen from both players in a Jets uniform, Woodhead is the more productive player. I couldn't hope more for McKnight to pan out to be great and the better player. We'll see...

So, different offensive lines, different QBs, and different offensive systems have nothing to do with it?

Oh, and dude ran for under 70 yards with all of that 'dancing and juking'. None of which, I'm sure, were opened up by the Quarterback being able to throw for 517 yards.

Come on.

Gholston had nothing to do with Politics. We hung onto him until it made financial sense to cut him.

As for McKnight, yeah, too bad we didn't cut him last year after 1 preseason. I'd love to be 0-1 right now.

So, different offensive lines, different QBs, and different offensive systems have nothing to do with it?

Oh, and dude ran for under 70 yards with all of that 'dancing and juking'. None of which, I'm sure, were opened up by the Quarterback being able to throw for 517 yards.

Come on.

This may be the angriest EY post ever!

I respectfully call bullsh*t.

We kept these players around because their potential is great enough that to outweigh any slight possibility that they will be outplayed short term by whatever waiver wire JAG you are discussing. With Gholston there was also the fact that cutting him in at least a couple of those years would have cost us cap space. The huge number of UDFA players the Jets have playing starting roles has already been posted and I believe that it was in this thread. The team drafted these players because it saw something in them. Cracking the active roster is usually a function of scheme and special teams.

The Jets carried Ropati Pitoitua on the roster all of 2009 without using him much at all. I think he was in for 20-30 snaps and plenty of those were probably FG and FG block. He is now part of the reason the team let Shaun Ellis walk. Everybody is in love with Cumberland now, well he was on the roster for ALL of 2010 and I don't think he was active for more than a game or two. He was surel there and inactive when Woodhead got cut.

You can make the case that in 2 season and probably around 6 active games Joe McKnight has personally won the Jets two - Sunday night and the Bills finale last year. Danny Woodhead can play, but as has been stated he does not fit our system. We are looking for downhill runners and he simply can't do that. He's a bad fit and you don't win the NFL by carrying players just so that they don't help another team. Let alone how unfair it is to the player. Additionally, the guy was cut and brought back a bunch of times and the Pats didn't touch him. He ended up there because they were desperate. Give him credit, he made the most of his opportunity.

If Danny Woodhead had fit our system, we'd have resigned Leon Washington.

What exactly is the Jets, system?

Woodhead can play....teams figure out ways to get their playmakers in space.

Did you ever stop to think why Danny Woodhead finds himself in space so much in the Pats system? Did you ever think it could be because as a RB on a pass happy team the defense might be a little more concerned with covering the wide receivers and pressuring the QB than accounting for a tiny RB who they don't think can beat them?

The goal when playing the Pats is to make Danny Woodhead beat you. If you can force them into a situation where they are feeding a player like him the ball, that means you've bottled up Welker, you've contained the TEs and you've rendered Greenellis irrelevent.

On the Jets, who at least at the start of last year when they cut Woodhead were primarily a run-first team, Woodhead would be useless because he is not a guy who can create holes when the line breaks down like LT and he is not a pound it up the gut runner like Greene.

I promise all of you Woodhead supporters that Danny Woodhead will never be the featured back in a running offense.

Did you ever stop to think why Danny Woodhead finds himself in space so much in the Pats system? Did you ever think it could be because as a RB on a pass happy team the defense might be a little more concerned with covering the wide receivers and pressuring the QB than accounting for a tiny RB who they don't think can beat them?

The goal when playing the Pats is to make Danny Woodhead beat you. If you can force them into a situation where they are feeding a player like him the ball, that means you've bottled up Welker, you've contained the TEs and you've rendered Greenellis irrelevent.

On the Jets, who at least at the start of last year when they cut Woodhead were primarily a run-first team, Woodhead would be useless because he is not a guy who can create holes when the line breaks down like LT and he is not a pound it up the gut runner like Greene.

I promise all of you Woodhead supporters that Danny Woodhead will never be the featured back in a running offense.

"Woodhead supporters" Please stop. The kid is a good football player and we cut him for a bad football player.

"Woodhead supporters" Please stop. The kid is a good football player and we cut him for a bad football player.

No, we cut him for a guy with infinitely more talent. Woodhead isn't close to being fast enough to have been able to block that punt Sunday night and I know I'm not the only one who remembers him blowing contain on two kickoffs against Ted Ginn and costing us a ******* game! McKnight's already about 100 times the special teams player Woodhead is and has a 100-yard game under his belt as a featured back which is something Woodhead will likely never do.

No, we cut him for a guy with infinitely more talent. Woodhead isn't close to being fast enough to have been able to block that punt Sunday night and I know I'm not the only one who remembers him blowing contain on two kickoffs against Ted Ginn and costing us a ******* game! McKnight's already about 100 times the special teams player Woodhead is and has a 100-yard game under his belt as a featured back which is something Woodhead will likely never do.

I wasnt even talking about McKnight, I was talking about Clowney.

And Woodhead is quicker, stronger and has much better vision than Super Joe. Be reasonable for once, please.

Link?

But here you go anyway

http://en.wikipedia..../Danny_Woodhead

he ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.33 to 4.38 seconds which would have been the second-fastest among all running backs at the NFL Combine in March 2008. He posted the best pro-agility time of 4.03 seconds, the second-bestvertical jump (38½ inches) and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2 seconds).[citation needed]

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010RB.php

Joe McKnight, USC Height: 5-11. Weight: 200.

Combine 40 Time: 4.42.

Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.

Benchx225: 18. Vertical: 36.5. Broad: 9-11.

Projected Round (2010): 2-4.

Quicker, faster, stronger, vision are generally the things that determines better. McKnight cant get on the field.

Watch some Pats games. And then watch some Jets games where McKnight is on the sidelines.

I don't care to watch Patriots games. I'm done with this. We're arguing over 3rd string RB's.

Woodhead only has GreenEllis in front of him on the depth chart in NE. McKnight is behind Shonn Greene and LaDanian freakin' Tomlinson. Are you freakin' kidding me with this sh*t?

Kidding you with what? Jesus christ almighty its a football discussion. Woodhead is the better player than McKnight and is the more instinctive runner.

I'm just talking football- I dont care what team Woodhead is on, its just evaluating talent.

Plus he brings his lunchpail to work.

On September 3, 2009, the Jets faced the Philadelphia Eagles in a preseason matchup. During this game, Woodhead rushed for 158 yards, the NFL's second-highest preseason total since 1992, and two touchdowns.[6] Woodhead initially survived final cuts in September 2009, only to be waived a day later on September 6

could oyu imagine how many yards he'd have gotten if actually fit our system?

On September 3, 2009, the Jets faced the Philadelphia Eagles in a preseason matchup. During this game, Woodhead rushed for 158 yards, the NFL's second-highest preseason total since 1992, and two touchdowns.[6] Woodhead initially survived final cuts in September 2009, only to be waived a day later on September 6

Could you imagine how many carries Woodhead would be getting with the Jets if he had done anything beyond that 4th (and most meaningless) of exhibition games?

Does anyone fit schotty's system?

Archived