The BIGGEST Problem for us

KINGDIRK

I love being 2-0 but I am really disturb about a glaring issue. Forget Shotty, forget Sanchez, forget the play calling. The biggest problem is that our offensive line is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the force it was 2 years ago or even last year. Does anyone remember in 2009 when the Jets would line up against 8 man fronts and still be able to run the ball? Brick/Fanacea/Mangold/Moore/Woody; they were fu$king sick; especially run blocking. What's left of that besides Brick and Mangold? Wayne Hunter and Slausson? Come on. In a perfect world these guys would be our back ups. I love Brandon Moore but he's coming off hip surgery so he cant be expected to play as great as he has in recent years.

I am not suggesting our Oline is bad. But in order to get to the Super Bowl, our Oline has to play extremely well. Right now (even with a healthy Mangold) can we do that? If not, can we fix this problem in season?

Ducasse sucking like he does is really hurting this team. The plan was to use a 2nd rd pick, let him learn for a year, and replace Woody this year. It's too bad that Ducasse is so terrible he was really supposed to be the answer.

True. That was killer. When you draft a 2nd round Olineman you cant be as useless of Ducasse.

Agreed on Ducasse. He's a big problem. He can't make the field and doesn't look like he's close to developing into a starter right now. Beyond that, Hunter is a career backup that's starting. Slauson is too slow to be a good pulling guard/downfield runblocker ala Faneca. It goes further though. No more T-rich is a much biffer deal than people realize. He was a premier fullback that led the way for scores of good running backs. We haven't replaced him. Matt Mulligan was an excellent run blocker as well, we replaced him with a WR/Te in cumberland. So, since 2009, we've downgraded at tackle, guard, fullback and TE, and at backup oline due to injury/bad draft pick. This is why we can't run like we used to. The more we spend on getting Sanchez "weapons" the less is left to shore up a weak (there I said it) running game.

Ducasse sucking like he does is really hurting this team.   The plan was to use a 2nd rd pick, let him learn for a year, and replace Woody this year.   It's too bad that Ducasse is so terrible he was really supposed to be the answer.

I'm pretty sure the plan was to draft and use Ducasse at LG starting last season.

Slauson is fine, Mangold and Turner being out at the same time is disastrous. Hunter being this bad is very perplexing because he's usually been very, very solid when he's stepped in for starting duties in the past. I thought last week was just because Ware was that much better than he is, which is exactly what happened against Mario last season, but today was pretty troubling. Roth is OK, but he's not THAT good.

On what are we basing the fact that Wayne Hunter and Ducasse suck?

I got this:

Hunter got turned around on a couple plays by Ware last week. (he's a monster tho)

Hunter committed 2 penalties back to back today (although dierdorf was saying that it was most likely the center not snapping the ball, but whatever)

Ducasse's lack of PT tells a tale I guess too. To say he has notlived up to expectations yet is fair.

What other evidence are we working from?

The running game hasn't gotten going, either. I am not as astute as some, so I dont necessarily make note of every run and why it did or didnt work, but those who do: Has it been obviously the right side?

As far as pass protection, they had one sack and four QB hits according to espn. Not bad, a major upgrade from last week.

I'm only asking to make sure we're not just jumping the gun. I mean, take away the two Hunter penalities today, one of which has already been questioned, and are we posting that Hunter sucks? Based on what, the lack of running yards? because one sack, four hits is actually pretty good.

Archived