Do The Jets Lack Heart?

MikeJetsWord

Frankly, call it heart or whatever the hell you want, but on the offensive side of the ball, things are definitely headed in a very dangerous direction. There's no doubt there are some talent issues on offense, such as both starters and depth on the OL and there's no doubt that Plax is a significant downgrade from Braylon, but that said, this offense is still far more talented than how they are performing. The OL seem to have no idea what they, or the guy next to them are doing, the WRs are quitting on routes assuming they even know what their route is supposed to be, and I don't think we really need to discuss Sanchez any further at this point. While I'll admit he's far from the sole problem with this offense, the bottom line is no matter how much Rex loves the guy, it's getting to the point that Schotty's going to have to go very, very soon. Between what's happening on the field and more and more players, both past and present, coming out of the woodwork taking shots at him it looks like the offense has lost complete faith in him and are quitting on him. Of course that's no excuse for these players to act like this, and there's plenty of blame to go around (including of course Rex) and it's not all on Schotty, but he's the only one who you can really do anything about anytime soon, because there's no feasible replacement options for Sanchez or any other starting player, be it OL, WR or RB. Something needs to light a fire under these guys asses, and unless the Jets can pull a breakout offensive performance out of their a$$ in the very near future to get everyone back in gear, a change is going to have to be made, and with the bye week soon approaching, that certainly seems to be as good of a time as any.

How many starters are different from last year? 2-3? How many come from behind victories did they have? Did they win back to back road games in the playoffs vs. to HOF QBs?

The thought that because this team lost T-Rich, Woody, Ellis and Braylon and now we have no heart is ridiculous. Seriously. I'm not directing this toward you but I forgot how ridiculous Jets fans are when they arent considered a contender at that particular moment in time.

How many starters are different from last year? 2-3? How many come from behind victories did they have? Did they win back to back road games in the playoffs vs. to HOF QBs?

The thought that because this team lost T-Rich, Woody, Ellis and Braylon and now we have no heart is ridiculous. Seriously. I'm not directing this toward you but I forgot how ridiculous Jets fans are when they arent considered a contender at that particular moment in time.

I absolutely agree with you, which is why my point was that despite some talent downgrades (OL and #2 WR), there's no question they are still playing far below their talent level. This problem clearly goes far beyond pure ability. There's no question they're not going to be as bad as what we saw on Sunday all season long, it's just not possible. That said, my point was that the more concerning aspect has to be the number of players out on the field who looked like they had just flat out given up, and then followed that up with the trashing of teammates and coaches (and let's be honest, everything from the numerous players making comments about preparedness and predictability to Mason's "identifying cracks" speech were clearly directed towards the coaches). If that problem persists past just one game, a change will have to be made. That doesn't mean they can't pull a classic Jets move and come up with a shockingly good performance sometime in the next week or two to make everything suddenly all better, but it's more the specifics of the issues that are a greater concern than just the fact that there were issues, and certainly bares watching.

I absolutely agree with you, which is why my point was that despite some talent downgrades (OL and #2 WR), there's no question they are still playing far below their talent level. This problem clearly goes far beyond pure ability. There's no question they're not going to be as bad as what we saw on Sunday all season long, it's just not possible. That said, my point was that the more concerning aspect has to be the number of players out on the field who looked like they had just flat out given up, and then followed that up with the trashing of teammates and coaches (and let's be honest, everything from the numerous players making comments about preparedness and predictability to Mason's "identifying cracks" speech were clearly directed towards the coaches). If that problem persists past just one game, a change will have to be made. That doesn't mean they can't pull a classic Jets move and come up with a shockingly good performance sometime in the next week or two to make everything suddenly all better, but it's more the specifics of the issues that are a greater concern than just the fact that there were issues, and certainly bares watching.

I dont think anyone has given up. There are 12 games left in the season and the team is 2-2...plenty of time to right the ship. And really, the only thing that needs to be straightened out is the OL. Everything else is fine. People want to complain about RB's and WR's and TE's and QB's...none of those players can succeed with a sh*tty OL. Period.

During the game this weekend, Kris Jenkins was commenting on the game on Facebook as he was watching, and this one comment really hit me, mostly because he was a member of that locker room and really knows what it is like... Anyway, he said:

"Jets got rid of the players with the heart. End of story!!!!"

That really got me thinking... If you take a look at some of the players we lost this offseason:

Kris Jenkins, Tony Richardson, Damien Woody, Braylon Edwards, James Ihedigbo, Shaun Ellis etc.. These were definitely some players that played with fire and passion. Now heart doesn't make up for talent, but when you have a coach that coaches with tons of emotion, you need someone else to convey that emotion in the locker room. Bart can do it, but he is just one person. I think you can see the difference in the way that we play-- and I believe we are missing a lot of leadership with these types of players gone.

Now I don't think that is the only reason we are bad-- there are certainly many reasons from lack of depth and key injuries, but I think it is a one of the ways we are fundamentally different than last year, and its absolutely a regression.

Whatever Jenkins is smoking pass it over.

I think Bart Scott, Mangold, LT, Ferguson and a few others might have something to say about that.

I dont think anyone has given up. There are 12 games left in the season and the team is 2-2...plenty of time to right the ship. And really, the only thing that needs to be straightened out is the OL. Everything else is fine. People want to complain about RB's and WR's and TE's and QB's...none of those players can succeed with a sh*tty OL. Period.

Well I don't think anyone has quit on the season, but there's no doubt that some did late in the game, as the Jets offensive was filled with a bunch of guys who looked like they were just waiting to get on the bus. I agree that the OL is the main culprit and if they can get their sh*t together there than it might flow throughout the entire offense, but it still has to be concerning when you see that kind of reaction out of your players, both during and after the game. You hope that it's only frustration from the way that one game went, but you can't completely dismiss the possibility some players are getting fed up with and lost faith in Schitty. The point is that given the state of the team, if things don't drastically improve soon then you have to make a change, and that's the one place the Jets have the ability to make a change that could potentially have a real impact on this offense.

The JETS did not lack heart, atleast not on the defense. The way they were shellacked in the first quarter most teams would have run out of the stadium. But the JETS came back in the second half on defense all the way till mid way through the 3rd quarter and made a game of it and that was very commendable. And when we were on the cusp of being in a position to take advatage of a B'more turnover........well you know the rest. It was way too many self inflicted wounds.

The offense was another story. Only Mason seemed to put a lot of energy in what he was doing on the field.

Since we are not supposed to criticize Plax and it hurts a lot of feelings I will not criticize him. But if i was telling the truth Plax's play was downright pathetic. When we completed that rare pass to Plax he ended up getting a face mask penalty. Or on one play he did not know where he was supposed to go. And he was giving up on his routes too quickly.

NO, we lack a QB and decent O-Line depth.

oh and some upgrade Plaxico Burress is over Braylon-NOT!

I have news for you, Braylon would be just as useless on this team right now as Plax is... down field receivers need the QB upright, again, it comes back to the O-line.

Burress is old. That is why he is on a one year deal. He is also a dog. Always was. His production hasn't been bad overall. The facemask goes the other way and everybody is praising him. Wilson had a good game, but the best play he made could have been an interference call. That is how close good/bad are in the NFL. I was fairly disgusted with Burress play at the end of the game, but I have seen him do the same with the Giants and Steelers and still end up the year on everyone's Christmas list.

oh and some upgrade Plaxico Burress is over Braylon-NOT!

Braylon Edwards: 2 games. 4 receptions. 48 yards. 0 TD's. San Francisco WR Braylon Edwards is expected to miss his third straight game during Week 5 against San Francisco as he continues to recover from surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Plaxico Burress: 4 games. 10 receptions. 160 yards. 2 TD's.

Say what you say about the offseason moves, but lets not sit here, and act like Braylon Edwards would have impacted this Jets team this year. He's been hurt and just had surgery. Plaxico Burress on the other hand? Already has two TD's, and without his 4 catch, 72 yards and 1 TD performance against the Cowboys... We're 1-3 right now. So, lets not act like Burress hasn't made an impact thus far; when he has.

Braylon Edwards: 2 games. 4 receptions. 48 yards. 0 TD's. San Francisco WR Braylon Edwards is expected to miss his third straight game during Week 5 against San Francisco as he continues to recover from surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Plaxico Burress: 4 games. 10 receptions. 160 yards. 2 TD's.

Say what you say about the offseason moves, but lets not sit here, and act like Braylon Edwards would have impacted this Jets team this year. He's been hurt and just had surgery. Plaxico Burress on the other hand? Already has two TD's, and without his 4 catch, 72 yards and 1 TD performance against the Cowboys... We're 1-3 right now. So, lets not act like Burress hasn't made an impact thus far; when he has.

A. 10 reception for 160 yards and 2 TDs is not exactly earth shattering. To put it in prespective he is ranked #84 in receiving yards in the entire NFL so far this season. Even LT is ahead of him.

B. How do you know if Braylon was playing here he would have suffered the same exact injury and not be contributing right now ?

A. 10 reception for 160 yards and 2 TDs is not exactly earth shattering. To put it in prespective he is ranked #84 in receiving yards in the entire NFL so far this season. Even LT is ahead of him.

B. How do you know if Braylon was playing here he would have suffered the same exact injury and not be contributing right now ?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bottom line is the offense ran a lot better with Braylon & Santonio last season that it does with Santonio & Plaxico

Archived