Cromartie's contract

Matt39

According to Jason's site the cap hit will only be 2.3 million if cut. In 13 it saves over 8. This contract isn't what it appeared to be at the time he signed.

If he doesn't start playing to earn his money, and if Wilson continues to play at a high level, he will be gone

Cromartie has been extremely streaky this year, that's for sure. The talent is there, but the execution just seems to come and go with the wind. To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that Cromartie would be a complete disaster trying to play the nickel, part of me wonders if Wilson would be beating him out for the starting spot by this season's end. But you're not going to completely bench the guy and put Strickland as your starting nickel just to promote Wilson, so I can't see it happening, but while Cromartie has certainly had the tougher matchups of the two, I'm not sure you can argue Wilson hasn't been more effective.

I really can't tell you when or if the Jets could get rid of him with his contract, as I have no clue what the situation is with the guaranteed money outside of the signing bonus, but here's the breakdown of his contract from jason's site:

http://nyjetscap.com/antoniocromartie.html

Cromartie signed a 4 year, $32 million contract with over $14 million in guarantees on August 1, 2011. Cromartie received a $5,000,000 signing bonus. Base salaries of the contract are $1,000,000(2011), $3,800,000(2012), $7,000,000(2013), and $4,300,000(2014).

http://nyjetscap.com...ocromartie.html

It looks like he can be dumped after next year.

According to Jason's site the cap hit will only be 2.3 million if cut. In 13 it saves over 8. This contract isn't what it appeared to be at the time he signed.

If he doesn't start playing to earn his money, and if Wilson continues to play at a high level, he will be gone

LOL... ninja'rific.

I'm sure for a man his size that it's harder to make the cuts that some of these smaller quick guys are making.

I think he is fine on certain types of receivers, fast strait line guys.

If he were to lose his starting spot to Wilson I would consider trying him out at WR though. Can't be worse then Burress.

I said to my bro last night don't be surprised if Cro becomes a cap casualty after next season because Wilson looks like he's finally developing into the CB that we drafted in the 1st rd. As well as Cro last year his game has MANY flaws and in comparison to Revis he looks far inferior because he can't:

A) Wrap up and tackle

B) Defend more physical receivers

C) Keep his hands off WRs 5 yards after the LOS

D) Cover shiftier receivers underneath

The Cromartie contract is a tricky one and a bit different than I have portrayed on my site. The guarantees come in tiers which makes him likely to renegotiate next season. His contract is more or less fully guaranteed next season meaning the Jets would have to pay him 6.8 million to not play for them. There may be a way out of some of that money, but not all of it. If he is on the roster beyond a certain date(I think its mid February but Im not 100% sure on that) his 2013 guarantees kick in which total 7 million. Again there are ways out of some of that money, but its enough to make him a lock to be here thru 2013. If the Jets really wanted to move away from him their first option would probably be to call Oakland and see if they still want him. If the Jets trade him they are only on the hook next year for 3.75 million in dead cap charges. All the added guarantees transfer to Oakland (or whatever team trades for him) at that point. If they have soured on him that bad this would be option 1 for the Jets with option 2 being to renegotiate his deal.

How long are we truly locked into this guy? For what we gave him, it just seems like a bizarre contract. He isn't very good. How many times are we going to see him being completely turned around. His hips are awful.

Not only that but how many times do we have to see him shy away from a tackle ? Its no wonder when teams run to the out side they run left. This guy is terrified to tackle a RB.

Trade him for a bunch of picks this offseason and let Wilson step up.

We should have given Wilson the Job in the offseason and signed some WR's like so many of us wanted . But I have to tell ya no way no how any team picks up Cromarties Contract in a trade.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that Cromartie would be a complete disaster trying to play the nickel, part of me wonders if Wilson would be beating him out for the starting spot by this season's end. B

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. I know there's been alot of hating on Wilson because he hasn't procured the #2 CB spot, but people forget it's actually very difficult to play the slot position. Cromartie would be awful at it. Hell even Revis would have a hard time seeing as alot of his game is disrupting the WR at the line and pushing him towards the sideline. The slot receiver could be going any which direction at the snap, and the guy covering him has to be quick and fundamentally sound to do it. I think Wilson would be solid right now at #2 CB, I just don't think we have anyone who would be solid at nickel in that case.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. I know there's been alot of hating on Wilson because he hasn't procured the #2 CB spot, but people forget it's actually very difficult to play the slot position. Cromartie would be awful at it. Hell even Revis would have a hard time seeing as alot of his game is disrupting the WR at the line and pushing him towards the sideline. The slot receiver could be going any which direction at the snap, and the guy covering him has to be quick and fundamentally sound to do it. I think Wilson would be solid right now at #2 CB, I just don't think we have anyone who would be solid at nickel in that case.

Exactly, completely agree. In a scenario where one of Revis or Cromartie were to get hurt, I think Wilson could certainly step into the starting spot and Strickland has shown in the past that he can be a solid, if unspectacular, nickel corner. I'm sure they would get by in that scenario, but you're not going to do that unless you have to, as there's no question having the depth chart as Revis, Cromartie, then Wilson is the way to get your best 3 cover guys on the field at the same time, even if there's some debate of if that's the proper order. At this point I'm not sure how anyone could be anything short of very impressed with the way Wilson has played this year.

We should have given Wilson the Job in the offseason and signed some WR's like so many of us wanted . But I have to tell ya no way no how any team picks up Cromarties Contract in a trade.

With no offseason program in place I can certainly understand the Jets' hestiance to hand the starting spot to Wilson, as he certainly had his struggles early last year and Rex runs a very CB-dependent defense given how much one-on-one man-to-man coverage he expects out of these guys.

As far as no team taking Cromartie's contract, I wouldn't actually be sure about that. By all reports it sounded like some of the other interested teams (namely the Raiders) were offering just as much, if not more, than the Jets for Cromartie this offseason. And it's not like he didn't have the same kind of issues last year as he is having this year. The price-tag for a CB has gotten extremely high these past few years and the fact of the matter is, while Cromartie may got picked on a good bit due to playing across from Revis, he's still better than the #1 CBs on a hell of a lot of teams. Now whether they could get a huge return for him may be a legit question, but I don't doubt for a moment that if the Jets wanted to make a deal in the offseason they would find some interested trading partners.

With no offseason program in place I can certainly understand the Jets' hestiance to hand the starting spot to Wilson, as he certainly had his struggles early last year and Rex runs a very CB-dependent defense given how much one-on-one man-to-man coverage he expects out of these guys.

As far as no team taking Cromartie's contract, I wouldn't actually be sure about that. By all reports it sounded like some of the other interested teams (namely the Raiders) were offering just as much, if not more, than the Jets for Cromartie this offseason. And it's not like he didn't have the same kind of issues last year as he is having this year. The price-tag for a CB has gotten extremely high these past few years and the fact of the matter is, while Cromartie may got picked on a good bit due to playing across from Revis, he's still better than the #1 CBs on a hell of a lot of teams. Now whether they could get a huge return for him may be a legit question, but I don't doubt for a moment that if the Jets wanted to make a deal in the offseason they would find some interested trading partners.

Bleedin you may be right (about the interest in Cro) and I do also agree that Wilson came with some question marks but the way our defense is designed on creating pressure and blitzing from anywhere on the field i think it would have been easier for a corner to adapt since QB's dont have much time to sit back and pick you apart. I think our question marks on offense out weighed our questions on defense. I think Rex and Pettine ( who i think should get a hell of alot more credit) would have adapted much easier with question marks than Shotty with questions on his end.

Archived