Matching up with the Pats offense

stoicsentry

They've struggled the past 3 weeks, but let's not make too much out of that. They faced Dallas, Pittsburgh and the Giants. 2 of those 3 have a great defense. The 3rd might not be as talented but it's coached by a Ryan, so it probably overachieves.

Looking at their offensive weapons reminds me of looking at the Phillies pitching rotation. You're like "how is it possible that they have all of these guys?"

Welker is no slouch, and Revis cannot completely shut him down. He's one of the few guys that makes Revis look human. Cro can take Branch down.... if he's having a good day.

That still leaves them with Gronkowski, Hernandez and BJGE or Woodhead in a 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB group. Who is going to cover them? Can Wilson cover BJGE/Woodhead, or is that a mismatch for them? If they're able to get us to take Wilson off the field, I'd say that's a big loss for us right now. The kid is playing well.

Ochocinco has been brutal this year but he's scary because he could get it straightened out at any time. If he does, watch out. It's not that he's the MOST talented guy on the field, it's just that he would essentially be their #3 receiver. If he has a good day you can take Cro and put him on Ocho, but then what do you do with Branch?

The fact that the Pats would have to lose 3 straight doesn't bother me from a "law of averages" perspective. However, it DOES mean that they are going to pull out all of the stops to beat us and that DOES make me worried. They have basically 7 or 8 offensive weapons, can you imagine the type of tricks they could pull with that kind of depth?

Under Rex Ryan, we've destroyed Tom Brady over the past two years inside the Meadowlands. Brady has only gone 43/83, 464 yards, 52.2%, 2 TD's/3 INT's with a QB rating of only 62.8 against the Jets outside of Foxboro stadium since Rex has arrived. The Jets have gone 2-0, and we've also held Brady and the Patriots to an average of only 11.5 points inside our house.

I truly believe we're on the verge of watching our defense destroy Brady and a struggling offense come Sunday Night. Our home field advantage will become a huge factor; especially on 3rd downs.

I'm not worried about Chad Johnson what so ever. At the age of 33, he's a shell of what he once was. Him and Brady aren't on the same page either, and that's not changing anytime soon. Chad only has 9 receptions, 136 yards and 0 TD's after 7 games. That's an average of only 1.2 receptions, 19.4 yards and 0.00 TD's per game. His stat line reads 0, 0, 0 over the past 3 games. He'll be lucky to even SEE THE FIELD come Sunday Night.

Stick Revis on Welker and contain Brady's favorite offensive weapon. Stick Cromartie on Branch and keep Branch out of the endzone. And find ways to use a very talented Kyle Wilson in productive ways.

I'm not worried about Woodhead and Green-Ellis. Our front 7 has done an excellent job against dual-threat types of backs in Ryan Mathews and Fred Jackson over the past 3 weeks (2 games). Gronkowski and Hernandez are very good TE's, but they aren't going to beat us.

The key is to pressure, while hitting Brady for 4 quarters strong.

it's all about thier line

if they protect brady, and he gets in a rhythym, look out

if the jets can jam the receivers and put pressure on him, it will be a game

look at it this way, they will move the ball with the TE's, but it won't be a track meet

brady is a dink and dunker

Wilson doesn't come off the field in this one. Why would anyone think him on either of the RB's would be a mismatch in the Pats' favor? Most teams cover backs with LB's or safeties. Wilson would swallow either of those guys.

As good as Welker is, I think Wilson is good enough to handle him a good number of snaps as well. Cro could be freed up to cover one of the TE's. Jets have a solid secondary. I think you'll see them mix up the coverages a lot, bring what they can pressure-wise, and try to get Brady to throw more int's. The Jets started the trend of playing man against the Pats, but don't be surprised if they play more zone in this one.

Wilson doesn't come off the field in this one. Why would anyone think him on either of the RB's would be a mismatch in the Pats' favor? Most teams cover backs with LB's or safeties. Wilson would swallow either of those guys.

As good as Welker is, I think Wilson is good enough to handle him a good number of snaps as well. Cro could be freed up to cover one of the TE's. Jets have a solid secondary. I think you'll see them mix up the coverages a lot, bring what they can pressure-wise, and try to get Brady to throw more int's. The Jets started the trend of playing man against the Pats, but don't be surprised if they play more zone in this one.

+1

Not only won't Wilson come off the field, but I'll bet that Strickland is there almost the entire game as well. I would expect to see a ton of Eric Smith at LB. Not just because it worked in the playoffs last year, but because with Thomas out they have been using more unconventional lineups. Mauga brings some speed at LB, but I'm not sure of his coverage and didn't see him much against the Bills.

Concerned about having him in there specifically to cover BJGE or Woodhead, because if he's on the field specifically for that purpose and they run between the tackles, well, he's not going to do much against that.

How are we going to avoid the problem we had in the last game, where we went to 6 DB's and then they ran it down our throat?

Also you know Bellichik is going to be opening up the ENTIRE playbook for this game, that's gotta worry you, doesn't it?

Also you know Bellichik is going to be opening up the ENTIRE playbook for this game, that's gotta worry you, doesn't it?

No.

The Jets bigger problem in that game was their offense, not their defense, and that will be my bigger concern in this game. The Jets need to move the chains, score points, and keep the Pats offense off the field in the process. When the defense is on the field, I expect them to hold their own.

I think you're vastly over-estimating the Pats skill position players. The TEs are good, but Hernandez has been hurt, their WRs outside of Welker are very mediocre, Woodhead has done little to nothing this year and Green-Ellis is not a receiving threat at all. They are all made to look better by Brady and with Brady off, they've all suddenly looked far more human these past few weeks. And don't think that Brady's issues the past few games isn't at least in part due to the fact that teams are realizing they have little to worry about outside of Welker and Gronkowski.

Wilson and Revis will alternate in coverage on Welker while the rest of the secondary will be able to double up just about everywhere else. As long as the offense can keep the D from being on the field constantly with an endless string of 3 and outs, I think they'll be just fine.

No.

The Jets bigger problem in that game was their offense, not their defense, and that will be my bigger concern in this game. The Jets need to move the chains, score points, and keep the Pats offense off the field in the process. When the defense is on the field, I expect them to hold their own.

This is my line of thought too. Im not real worried about our D, they can scheme till something turns the tide. Subbing out guys may be an issue, as it seems Brady burns us and other teams when bringing in rotations. Pool will probably be out for this one with a strained MCL, so I look for Strickland to see work.

Our offense has to get going earlier than they have been. Points off our 1st drive would be superb here. If Plax cant suit up because of his back, we will be in a hole right from the start. Joe Mick looks like he may be a no-go too with the toe. Hopefully Shotty is brilliant sunday night, but Im not holding my breath.

Archived