The most important free agent move for the Jets? A backup QB

villain_the_foe

Though I like Sanchez I do feel like he does need to know that this isnt a job that has just been "given" to him. We need to make sure that there's no complacency. Its the job of the person who is performing. Peyton Manning imo is a bad move and an incredible waste of money. What we need is a quality QB and compete with Sanchez.

We need to get Jason Campbell. This is a perfect opportunity to get a quality player who is under appreciated in this league. That is instant quality at the QB position and isnt just a "back up" in that sense. We have the money for manning, but its at the expense of not dealing with other positions, and if we dont win the superbowl then it was a failure. We've committed ourself to Sanchez, but if he doesnt work out this could be an opportunity for Jason Campbell, playing for a franchise that dont switch offenses every 15 minutes. We need to get this guy.

Wait, Jason Campbell isnt even a solid #2 in your opinion or do you mean that he may not want to be a backup?

I think he'd be an okay number two. I doubt he'd see it the same way. He was a starter before injury and he could probably find another starting job elsewhere. Tanny and Rex would be talking out the side of their head to convince any decent QB that they have a chance of starting here. Whomever they get will have to be okay with being the number two guy from jump. There won't be a competition.

I think he'd be an okay number two. I doubt he'd see it the same way. He was a starter before injury and he could probably find another starting job elsewhere. Tanny and Rex would be talking out the side of their head to convince any decent QB that they have a chance of starting here. Whomever they get will have to be okay with being the number two guy from jump. There won't be a competition.

I see your point but Jason Campbell being a Jag is a stretch. This guy hasnt had continuity in his career since...ever. If we can afford Manning then that means we can afford not to throw away our season on a 36 year old QB and add a quality player to this team. I dont think it would be Rex or Tanny talking out of the side of their mouth. What they've tried to do this year hasnt worked. Brunell is not the QB you want on the field if Sanchez were to get hurt. More importantly Sanchez needs to know that he must secure his job.

You can always change your mind. You just need to have the balls to take being reminded of it. If Sanchez goes down we're in trouble. If we get Manning and let go of Sanchez and Manning gets hurt we're in trouble. We need a QB with potential and though his record doesnt show it I think there's many reasons outside of his control why Campbell hasnt been successful.

I think there's enough blood in the water around Sanchez that the Jets #2 job will be an appealing one for a lot of veteran QBs in the league.

The team has no starting RT and has not 1 starting safety. If such a team's top priority is a #2 QB the the top priority is really a #1 QB.

They can draft a RT and Safety. This is why I said the most important free agent move and not the teams "top priority". You're becoming such the pessimist, especially when I comment about Sanchez or anything related to that position....even when its something that I technically didnt say.

They can draft a RT and Safety. This is why I said the most important free agent move and not the teams "top priority". You're becoming such the pessimist, especially when I comment about Sanchez or anything related to that position....even when its something that I technically didnt say.

You want to draft and start 2 rookie safeties?

Put the season in the hands of a rookie RT? OK

Why not just start Vlad? he was a hight pick RT

Put the season in the hands of a rookie RT? OK

Why not just start Vlad? he was a hight pick RT

Didnt we have a Rookie LT at one time? Havent many teams in the history of the NFL start the season with a starting Rookie LT/RT? Also, just because I say someone is my top free agent choice doesnt mean you ONLY GET THE CHOICE OF SIGNING JUST ONE FREE AGENT.

You can still sign a T or Safety in free agency. Last time I check the Jets werent restricted to just "one" FA. You and Sperm man. There's a genuine dislike for Sanchez and for multiple free agent signings for some strange reason lol.

This team needs so much to be competitive again, it's scary.

We have no safeties, we are old and slow at LB, WR is a mess, the line has fallen apart, our RBs are sub par, and our QB is inept.

We've got Revis though.

Cant disagree with you there bro. We have problems and we've gotten old in certain positions.

It's a huge problem, and honestly it falls on Tannenbaum.

Who are the good, young players on this team?

Wilkerson and ?????

Kerley. But outside of last years draft thats a damn valid question. I backup Sanchez heavy on this forum but thats more because I believe the problem was more schotty than Sanchez...but as for him actually looking like a good young player????? Still a toss up bro.

We have no safeties, we are old and slow at LB, WR is a mess, the line has fallen apart, our RBs are sub par, and our QB is inept.

We've got Revis though.

Chill dude. We have a genius capologist and Terry Bradway. They drafted Revis once.

Kerley. But outside of last years draft thats a damn valid question. I backup Sanchez heavy on this forum but thats more because I believe the problem was more schotty than Sanchez...but as for him actually looking like a good young player????? Still a toss up bro.

I like Kerley, I'm just not sure he's ever going to be more than a slot guy.

Look at some of these teams playing this weekend and the guys who are contributing. Late rounders, UDFAs, etc. Our biggest contributors are our high picks and expensive free agents.

I'm afraid we're a few years and a few good drafts away, and that's ignoring the Sanchez issue.

Chill dude. We have a genius capologist and Terry Bradway. They drafted Revis once.

I'm on your side on this one. If we really look at our drafting, it's been a nightmare. We've gotten guys like Revis and Mangold and Brick, but honestly, when you draft the highest rated prospect at a position, it should work out. You don't look like a genius for taking the best C in the draft when you need a center and that center ends up being good. You're a genius when you find a great center in the 5th round.

I like Kerley, I'm just not sure he's ever going to be more than a slot guy.

Look at some of these teams playing this weekend and the guys who are contributing. Late rounders, UDFAs, etc. Our biggest contributors are our high picks and expensive free agents.

I'm afraid we're a few years and a few good drafts away, and that's ignoring the Sanchez issue.

Sometimes a slot guy could be your most dangerous target. Either way Kerley has shown potential as a good young player. I cant take that away from him.

You're right though. How in the world did the Pats get two of the top young TE's in the league and completely revamp their offense to take advantage of that talent also lets me know that We were a few good coaches away as well. Glad Schotty's the hell out of here.

Sometimes a slot guy could be your most dangerous target. Either way Kerley has shown potential as a good young player. I cant take that away from him.

You're right though. How in the world did the Pats get two of the top young TE's in the league and completely revamp their offense to take advantage of that talent also lets me know that We were a few good coaches away as well. Glad Schotty's the hell out of here.

Because, the real genius of bellichick is having a pulse on what wins in this league. It's a passing league now, and bellichick built a team that creates match-up nightmares on every level.

It's a huge problem, and honestly it falls on Tannenbaum.

Who are the good, young players on this team?

Wilkerson and ?????

I dunno. With an average Qb, this team was easily an 11 win team.

There's plenty of talent. There are definitely positions that need to be upgraded but the foundation is solid. The offense needs a new identity but all the D needs is a OLB and a S. Plenty of talent on that side of the ball.

I'm still pretty confident in this regime. With a full offseason and all the nonsense that has happened, the Jets will make the necessary changes. And if by some miracle Mark Sanchez figured out how to play Football, they could be dangerous again real quick.

I dunno. With an average Qb, this team was easily an 11 win team.

There's plenty of talent. There are definitely positions that need to be upgraded but the foundation is solid. The offense needs a new identity but all the D needs is a OLB and a S. Plenty of talent on that side of the ball.

I'm still pretty confident in this regime. With a full offseason and all the nonsense that has happened, the Jets will make the necessary changes. And if by some miracle Mark Sanchez figured out how to play Football, they could be dangerous again real quick.

Yes, we could have been and 11 win team. And there's really very few who dislike Sanchez more than me... But, would beating the Eagles, Raiders, and Broncos have made us a good team? Or, considering we'd have knocked the Broncos out of the playoffs, would we still be a team who didn't beat a single playoff team and couldn't compete with what we saw out there today, with the exception of perhaps the Texans?

We need a rebuild. Youth and athleticism. We don't have it. Again, ignoring the QB issue.

We've got Revis though.

Competition is so severe in the NFL. Just can't whiff on this many picks and remain at or near the top of the league. The Jets need an OLB because Gholston busted. They need a RT because Ducasse is feeling busty. And just not enough help from the recent lower round picks; certainly no late round 'steals.'

Yes, we could have been and 11 win team. And there's really very few who dislike Sanchez more than me... But, would beating the Eagles, Raiders, and Broncos have made us a good team? Or, considering we'd have knocked the Broncos out of the playoffs, would we still be a team who didn't beat a single playoff team and couldn't compete with what we saw out there today, with the exception of perhaps the Texans?

We need a rebuild. Youth and athleticism. We don't have it. Again, ignoring the QB issue.

Absolutely. Not to sound cliche, but there is no easy game in the NFL. And those are 3 of the toughest places to play in the NFL.

We dont need a rebuild. We need upgrade in certain places. A team that needs a rebuild wouldnt have even won 8 games. You're being dramatic IMO. The core is very solid. Quite honestly, from what I've seen so far in the playoffs, I have no doubt Rex could have cooked up a similar run as he did the last 2 seasons.

Absolutely. Not to sound cliche, but there is no easy game in the NFL. And those are 3 of the toughest places to play in the NFL.

We dont need a rebuild. We need upgrade in certain places. A team that needs a rebuild wouldnt have even won 8 games. You're being dramatic IMO. The core is very solid. Quite honestly, from what I've seen so far in the playoffs, I have no doubt Rex could have cooked up a similar run as he did the last 2 seasons.

What is the core? Serious question.

Revis, Harris, DeVito, Wilkerson, Dixon, Ellis, Wilson, Ropati, Pace. DBrick, Mangold, Moore, Greene, Holmes, Keller, Kerley, Slauson.

The offense needs to be revamped, some might be a stretch...but the D is still solid.

Revis, Harris, Mangold, Brick. The rest are guys you just threw in to fill out a list.

Archived