C.Pennington vs M. Sanchez

DepressedJet

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will go down as the better Jets QB?

• Mark Sanchez
    • Chad Pennington

This is an interesting debate.

Pennington statistically was much more efficient, but Mark has had more team success.

This season Sanchez pretty much looked like a poor mans Chad Pennington as the downfield passing attack was nonexistant.

Sanchez has been more durable than Pennington, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Overall if Sanchez's Jet career ends this year or next, you have to stick him below Chad Pennington on the All-Time Jets QB list.

Tough to say. Pennington was made of glass, yes, so it's hard to impartially judge the totality of his career. He could have had a prolific career if he stayed healthy. I'd say that Pennington was a smarter QB than Sanchez, and seemed to know when to throw the ball away and had a quicker release than Sanchez. I know all of you might say that Sanchez has a disadvantage because Schitty was his OC, but do any of you remember a guy named Paul Hackett??? The stuff we've been saying about Schottenheimer has been tame compared to what we've been saying about Schitty.

However, I think Pennington had better receivers/teammates in Coles, Moss and for a while Chrebet. He also had the Patriots to deal with during the run when they were practically invincible.

That? Ha, that's nothing for CTM. Compared to the old days on the "other site" this is all child's play. It was pretty much a non-stop battle that really picked up steam after the Doug Brien game until Favre finally got Chad's a$$ kicked to the curb, and it got much worse than that.

Ha. I have heard legends of the JI Chad battles. I didn't realize it was CTM in the middle of it all. Must have been fierce.

Ha. I have heard legends of the JI Chad battles. I didn't realize it was CTM in the middle of it all. Must have been fierce.

You actually know most of the participants at this point, or at least the major players. It was myself, CTM, SMC and EY that were so-lovingly dubbed as the Anti-Chad Militia (which we embraced). smashmouth and pac were amongst the most ardent of Penningtologists (along with a few others who thankfully never made the transition to JN).

acm.jpg

The funny (or sad) thing is that my Chad bashing days go back to like 2003 on a third message board.. I haven't like him since 2001 when the stories were coming out about what a pussy he was (or maybe that was 2002 TC?)

The funny (or sad) thing is that my Chad bashing days go back to like 2003 on a third message board.. I haven't like him since 2001 when the stories were coming out about what a pussy he was (or maybe that was 2002 TC?)

Remember the 2002 season? The Pats, Dolphins and Jets finished at 9-7. Pennington was being compared to Montana, while Brady was being comapred to Trent Dilfer. Good times.

Remember the 2002 season? The Pats, Dolphins and Jets finished at 9-7. Pennington was being compared to Montana, while Brady was being comapred to Trent Dilfer. Good times.

Yep, that was the first season I was called a secret pats fan when I argued that Brady > Pennington.. lol

Yep, that was the first season I was called a secret pats fan when I argued that Brady > Pennington.. lol

The Jets beat the Pats in Foxboro that season and Chad was on fire. I always liked Chad but he never could throw a 15 yard out pattern.

lol IIRC, the Pennington battles here were moreso along the lines of Penny vs Brady (this was obviously before the Chad injuries. JonEJet and PatsFanTx had some really memorable exchanges. I believe Jon's main premise was "If Brady was better than Pennington, he'd have been drafted in the first round, duh." LOL.

Oh, Jon. He's a classic.

lol IIRC, the Pennington battles here were moreso along the lines of Penny vs Brady (this was obviously before the Chad injuries. JonEJet and PatsFanTx had some really memorable exchanges. I believe Jon's main premise was "If Brady was better than Pennington, he'd have been drafted in the first round, duh." LOL.

Oh, Jon. He's a classic.

I think the majority of posters bought into Chad in 2002 as well as Sanchez last season. A few will BS and say otherwise but I think we were all pretty much on board.

The ones who jump ship rightfully so or not, seem to do so at the first signs of trouble and repeatedly announce that they have always questioned the QB.

Yeah, you were undoubtedly one of the earliest haters. I was definitely a little later to the party than you (although still long before it became popular). But things didn't really hit their peak in terms of the major battles until like the 2006 and 2007 seasons though, especially since his first Chad Pennington of the Year award really inspired his lovers.

Yeah, you were undoubtedly one of the earliest haters. I was definitely a little later to the party than you (although still long before it became popular). But things didn't really hit their peak in terms of the major battles until like the 2006 and 2007 seasons though, especially since his first Chad Pennington of the Year award really inspired his lovers.

I dunno, when I first came to JI there was a few people already anti Chad.. When I was on the old scout board it was basically only me, but that board only had like 2% of the traffic at JI.. Another funny story, reading Ham's posts was one of the reasons I decided to jump from scout to Ji,.. lol

I think the majority of posters bought into Chad in 2002 as well as Sanchez last season. A few will BS and say otherwise but I think we were all pretty much on board.

The ones who jump ship rightfully so or not, seem to do so at the first signs of trouble and repeatedly announce that they have always questioned the QB.

Yeah, inconsistency drives me crazy sometimes. That's why I'm consistently skeptical. ;)

I backed Chad up until it became obvious that his arm was never going to come all the way back from the injuries and his limitations were going to hold the Jets back. Early on, I thought he had a lot of Joe Montana in him. It was heartbreaking to see what he became after the second shoulder injury. I still blame Herm for rushing him back.

I think I've been consistent with Sanchez, too. I was hopeful he'd progress, but after the first month this year I concluded that we've pretty much seen his ceiling, for better or worse.

Penny was a far better QB, far better decision maker, far more mature, more intelligent, more confident...handled his huddle, handles himself....Christ...you can't even compare the two. Sanchez is more durable. Has a better arm. But he doesn't have the balls Chadwick has. Penny beat out every QB he was pitted against. In NY and Miami. The ****er just keeps coming and never gives in. Sanchez has a long way to go before he finds that quality.

Penny was a far better QB, far better decision maker, far more mature, more intelligent, more confident...handled his huddle, handles himself....Christ...you can't even compare the two. Sanchez is more durable. Has a better arm. But he doesn't have the balls Chadwick has. Penny beat out every QB he was pitted against. In NY and Miami. The ****er just keeps coming and never gives in. Sanchez has a long way to go before he finds that quality.

Holy crap, I never thought it would be possible to disagree with so many things is such a short post. I'm not sure we are seriously even talking about the same QB, because I see absolutely nothing here that is even remotely correct.

Chad was a garbage decision maker, constant checkdowns are NOT good decisions. More mature? You're referring to the guy who sat on the bench with his helmet on sulking like a little bitch, and gave his whiny little interviews throughout the season about how it wasn't his fault, when he was benched and the team had far more success without him? Ha, he's probably one of the only QBs in league history who was a bigger baby than Sanchez. More intelligent / confident? Meh, who the hell knows, that's nothing but more of the nonsensical "intangible" crap he got credit for because he sucked at everything tangible, there's no way to prove or disprove any of that. If you really want to give him that one, then go right ahead, it's not worth arguing over that nonsense.

As far as handling himself, he handled himself like complete crap (see example above). And Chad had absolutely NO balls, the guy played scared EVERY GAME for his ENTIRE CAREER. He was the biggest pussy of a QB this league has ever seen. And wtf is that supposed to mean he beat out every QB he was pitted against? Talk about a heaping load of sh*t. If you're talking about opposing QBs, that's just downright laughable. Chad's entire career he showed himself to be completely incapable of keeping pace with any of the league's top QBs unless the Jets defense completely shut them down. Just look at the Patriots, they absolutely owned his a$$ beyond belief, it was outright pathetic. Or are you talking about the loser QBs he was supposed to compete against for the job? Because I'm pretty sure despite nothing but garbage competition, he was beat out on a number of occasions. For 3 years he constantly got beat out by an washed-up old Vinny (despite being a first round pick of the team) then he got his a$$ benched for Clemens and later in Miami beat out by Henne his last year there. Not exactly the most stellar of competition, and it's only worse considering Sanchez beat out the guy Chad was benched for (and outperformed by) his last year with the Jets.

Chad was just awful, and if you want to argue him sucking less than sucky Sanchez, while I would whole-heartedly disagree, I can at least sort of see where someone could argue that, but trying to show him in this light is just beyond absurd and completely baseless.

Archived