C.Pennington vs M. Sanchez

DepressedJet

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will go down as the better Jets QB?

• Mark Sanchez
    • Chad Pennington

This is an interesting debate.

Pennington statistically was much more efficient, but Mark has had more team success.

This season Sanchez pretty much looked like a poor mans Chad Pennington as the downfield passing attack was nonexistant.

Sanchez has been more durable than Pennington, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Overall if Sanchez's Jet career ends this year or next, you have to stick him below Chad Pennington on the All-Time Jets QB list.

2002 Pennington was better than Sanchez will ever be...but Sanchez can have the better career

that's all that needs to be said, pre rotator cuff Pennington was a pro bowler and a damn good QB. Mark isn't and won't be any time in his career, if e can't with two of the best redzone receivers in the nfl, a clutch tight end and a hall of famer in the backfield, he won't at any other point. Penny > Mark

that's all that needs to be said, pre rotator cuff Pennington was a pro bowler and a damn good QB. Mark isn't and won't be any time in his career, if e can't with two of the best redzone receivers in the nfl, a clutch tight end and a hall of famer in the backfield, he won't at any other point. Penny > Mark

No he wasn't. At no point in Penny's entire career was he EVER a Pro-Bowler. Literally, not once ever. Not to mention, people seem to forget his awful 2003 season was before any rotator cuff injury, or does an injury to his non-throwing wrist somehow get the blame for that? Outside of a nice little run of a half season to start his career in 02, his play ranged from awful to mediocre, and even by the end of that season, he had shown an important trait about himself, which is the fact that he may very well be the single least-clutch player in NFL history. The bigger the game, and the bigger the drive, the worse Chad played in it. Sanchez won as many playoff games in his rookie year as Chad did in his 11 years in the NFL. Of course none of this means Sanchez is any good, but Chad is just plain awful.

No he wasn't. At no point in Penny's entire career was he EVER a Pro-Bowler. Literally, not once ever. Not to mention, people seem to forget his awful 2003 season was before any rotator cuff injury, or does an injury to his non-throwing wrist somehow get the blame for that? Outside of a nice little run of a half season to start his career in 02, his play ranged from awful to mediocre, and even by the end of that season, he had shown an important trait about himself, which is the fact that he may very well be the single least-clutch player in NFL history. The bigger the game, and the bigger the drive, the worse Chad played in it. Sanchez won as many playoff games in his rookie year as Chad did in his 11 years in the NFL. Of course none of this means Sanchez is any good, but Chad is just plain awful.

he had an AMAZING 2002, go get your facts straight

TBD. If Sanchez, for whatever reason, gets benched at some point this season and never sees the field again as a Jet, I don't see how Pennington doesn't get ranked ahead of him.

I do. Pennington hamstrung this organization for 6 years, 3 of which we had miserable losing seasons where we out of the playoffs by thanksgiving. the other three he provided people who didn't know better false hope when he played well against bad teams only to play dreadful in the playoffs and send us home early.

If Sanchez has the courtesy to flame out midway through his 4th year, he's better by default..

I do. Pennington hamstrung this organization for 6 years, 3 of which we had miserable losing seasons where we out of the playoffs by thanksgiving. the other three he provided people who didn't know better false hope when he played well against bad teams only to play dreadful in the playoffs and send us home early.

If Sanchez has the courtesy to flame out midway through his 4th year, he's better by default..

LMFAO - exactly.

However, I too share in T0m's dissapointment that this is even a debate.

Namath--- what the heck did he do ??? In the SB Snell runs for a record 100+ yards and his stats for his career were HORRIBLE

Testaverde ---- com'on what the heck did he bring us??? A torn achilies

3) O'Brien --- Nothing Great first game and then?????

4) Pennington -- Nothing

5) Sanchez -- Post Season wins and only THREE Years in the league. AND HE PLAYED WELL IN ALL THOSE WINS

PLUS listen to what those three former Jets QB's said about Sanchez ONE short year ago;

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Updated: January 21, 9:07 AM ET

Namath & Co. all agree: Mark's got it

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- He turned 24 only two months ago, but Mark Sanchez already has won twice as many postseason games as any quarterback in New York Jets history -- four.

"He's pretty damn lucky," former Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde said in an envious kind of way, noting that Sanchez has compiled as many playoff starts in two seasons as he had in 21.

AFC Championship

If the Jets beat the Pittsburgh Steelers for the AFC championship, Sanchez will share rarefied air with Joe Namath as the only two quarterbacks in team history to reach the Super Bowl. The Jets' quarterback fraternity, from Namath to Ken O'Brien to Chad Pennington, has watched closely, forming different opinions of Sanchez.

Namath loves his attitude. Pennington likes his unselfishness. Testaverde likes his cool demeanor. Pat Ryan likes his resilience. O'Brien likes his grounded personality.

ESPNNewYork.com interviewed the five former Jets quarterbacks this week. Namath, Ryan, Testaverde and Pennington combined for six of the franchise's 12 postseason wins -- Richard Todd also has two -- so they know what it's like to perform in the crucible of sudden death.

Though none of them gushed about Sanchez's physical talent -- most of the compliments involved his intangibles -- they believe the second-year quarterback has enough moxie to take the Jets all the way for the first time in 42 years.

"Mark is real," Namath said. "He convinced the staff and his teammates from day one that he's a football player and that his No. 1 goal is to win a championship. I've been elated with Mark's progression. ... My man has already played in a bunch of big games -- and won them. Come on, the guy is a good quarterback."

Namath said he's impressed with Sanchez's ability to handle the scrutiny and potential distractions of New York at such a young age. The trappings of celebrity and the pressures of the job can devour the weak. Namath admitted he struggled early in his career, recalling he was "very angry" the first time he was booed by New York fans. Sanchez has endured slumps and a smattering of boos, but he doesn't seem affected by them.

"It can be a strain on a young man," Namath said. "It can make you a bit paranoid, even dealing with the media. You have to worry about what you can and can't say. You think, 'Holy cow, could what I just said be misunderstood?'"

Pennington, who won playoff games in the 2002 and 2004 seasons, commended Sanchez for avoiding the sophomore slump.

"He learned how to win football games," Pennington said. "That's the biggest difference I see. There's a difference between winning football games and putting up stats. This isn't fantasy football, it's about winning. Mark, in a short period of time, has come to understand how to play the game to help his team win games. At the end of the day, that's how we're judged. That's pretty impressive for a young guy to grasp that concept. Plenty of guys are just concerned with the stat sheet."

Sanchez is a career 54 percent passer with a quarterback rating of 70.2, numbers that usually result in a demotion or a pink slip, but he wins. His record is 19-12, plus four wins in the postseason -- all on the road. No quarterback in league history has won five road playoff games.

Ryan, who won a playoff game in 1986, said he was impressed by Sanchez's ability to shake off slow starts in the past two games.

"I was surprised," Ryan said. "The way he started against the Patriots, I thought, 'Oh, my, this could be a long day.' But he showed a lot of stuff. That was a huge step for him.

"He's not hurting his team, which is one of the best things you can say about a quarterback, especially in the playoffs," he continued. "He's getting better. I wouldn't go out and say he's one of the best in the league right now, but he's a good starter on a good team."

All five quarterbacks agreed that Sanchez benefits from a strong running game and a terrific defense, reducing his burden. O'Brien took that one step further, saying coach Rex Ryan's unwavering support has been instrumental in Sanchez's development.

"It helps to have a coach like Rex," said O'Brien, who never started a playoff victory despite being the second-leading passer in team history. "He's firmly in Mark's corner and he makes no bones about it. That lets the quarterback go out and play, and not have to look over your shoulder. If something bad happens, you just learn from it and move on. That's a great thing for a quarterback, especially a young quarterback."

O'Brien, who did some high school coaching in Southern California, saw Sanchez play at Mission Viejo High School. O'Brien kept tabs on the best players in the area, and his curiosity led him to Sanchez.

"He's always been a physically talented kid," O'Brien said. "He's a real solid kid, you could tell he was raised in a great family. He was always smiling, being who he is. That's contagious. You can tell he has great chemistry with the other guys on the team."

The one criticism among the former quarterbacks is Sanchez's inconsistent accuracy, especially early in games. That really showed up in the wild-card game at Indianapolis, where he misfired on 19 of his first 28 passes, including a red zone interception.

Namath speculated that Sanchez's shaky starts could be attributed to adrenaline. Recalling his first pass in Super Bowl III, Namath said he sailed a ball over the head of George Sauer because he was too amped.

Now the question is, can Sanchez beat the Steelers for the second time in six weeks?

"I definitely don't think this is too big for him," said Testaverde, who led the Jets to the 1998 AFC Championship Game.

O'Brien said Sanchez can win it all.

"Sure, definitely," he said. "There's not a doubt in my mind. But it's more than the quarterback. They've got the coaching staff and the belief, the chemistry and the camaraderie. That trumps everything else."

This is really based on "Jets QB"

Does Sanchez's two playoff runs elevate him over Pennington in Jets QB lore, or will he have to do more?

Right now Top 5:

1) Namath

2) Testaverde

3) O'Brien

4) Pennington

5) Sanchez

The distance between Namath and the others is light years......and sanchez is ahead of penny

Some people have NO CLUE! Namath during his Jet career would have been burned at the stake :) Other than winning the SB (Snell should have won the MVP) all he did was throw interception after interception AND never get back to the SB which was much easier (less games to win) Namath's record does not speak to who he was, came to games drunk...didn't show up in others. He is living off of a SB win that he was a PART of. I know I was a season ticket holder at Shea!

I think you hate Chad worse than I hate Tannenbaum. That's remarkable.

I think you hate Chad worse than I hate Tannenbaum. That's remarkable.

That? Ha, that's nothing for CTM. Compared to the old days on the "other site" this is all child's play. It was pretty much a non-stop battle that really picked up steam after the Doug Brien game until Favre finally got Chad's a$$ kicked to the curb, and it got much worse than that.

Some people have NO CLUE! Namath during his Jet career would have been burned at the stake :) Other than winning the SB (Snell should have won the MVP) all he did was throw interception after interception AND never get back to the SB which was much easier (less games to win) Namath's record does not speak to who he was, came to games drunk...didn't show up in others. He is living off of a SB win that he was a PART of. I know I was a season ticket holder at Shea!

LOL

"Mark is real," Namath said. "He convinced the staff and his teammates from day one that he's a football player and that his No. 1 goal is to win a championship. I've been elated with Mark's progression. ... My man has already played in a bunch of big games -- and won them. Come on, the guy is a good quarterback."

Its official. Namath is just a drunken idiot. I mean really? He bashes everything in the organization but is "elated" with Mark's progress.

Archived