Previewing lAFC East Salary Cap

flgreen

Previewing AFC East salary cap

January, 20, 2012

Jan 20

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Free agency begins in less than two months. Teams around the league are planning their strategies and figuring out which big names to pursue.

But where teams stand with the $120-million salary cap next season will be an indicator of which will be aggressive and which won't.

Let's take an early look at the projected 2012 cap numbers in the AFC East:

buf.gifBuffalo Bills (6-10)

Projected cap: $105.5 million

Key free agents: WR Steve Johnson, TE Scott Chandler, K Rian Lindell

Analysis: The Bills are looking pretty good entering free agency. General manager Buddy Nix says the team will spend to the cap this year. The first order of business is deciding on Johnson's future. The two sides are still a ways apart and I think it's a 50-50 proposition. With or without Johnson, Buffalo has the space to acquire impact players. We mentioned Houston Texans defensive end/linebacker and unrestricted free agent Mario Williams as a possibility to help the Bills' pass rush. But getting Williams -- or any top free agent -- to come to Buffalo will be a tough sell.

mia.gifMiami Dolphins (6-10)

Projected cap: $114.3 million

Key free agents: DT Paul Soliai, G Vernon Carey, QB Chad Henne

Analysis: The Dolphins are in decent (but not great) shape with the cap. There will be an interesting dynamic in Miami to keep an eye on this offseason. Usually when a new coach comes in, there is huge turnover in the coach's first season. But that probably won't happen with general manager Jeff Ireland still in charge of the 53-man roster. Ireland is not going to cut many of the players he helped bring to Miami. But the Dolphins would have to do something if they want to make enough room to make a splash for a big free agent. Green Bay Packers quarterback Matt Flynn is a good example.

nwe.gifNew England Patriots (13-3)

Projected cap: $99.9 million

Key free agents: WR Wes Welker, DE Andre Carter, WR Deion Branch

Analysis: It's amazing that the best team in the AFC East also is in the best shape with the cap. The Patriots have done a masterful job and have plenty of money to spend in free agency if they choose. A big chunk of it will go to Welker, who is due for a nice payday. New England won't let Welker slip away. The Patriots also have the tools to acquire defensive help in free agency, as well as sign their two first-round picks and two second-round picks in the draft. The Patriots are in position to be a major force again next season.

nyj.gifNew York Jets (8-8)

Projected cap: $125 million

Key free agents: WR Plaxico Burress, DT Sione Pouha, S Jim Leonhard

Analysis: The Jets are the only AFC East team projected to be over the cap. This was a team built to win now and it didn't work out; now New York has to make some trimmings on the roster if it wants to do anything in free agency. There's a good chance Burress and Leonhard won't return. Pouha is a good player and could come back at the right price. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson also is a free agent. But his role was drastically reduced this past season and it's unlikely he will return. Tomlinson is contemplating retirement.

If it's one thing any of you negative nancys should have learned by now is that with Tanny as our GM the cap has and will never be a problem. He is an absolute master at it. This is unarguably his best asset to the organization, and with how the NFL is constructed that is very valuable. The only negative is that a GM shouldnt just be a cap genius.

Oh man! It just figures, we have the most holes to fill but have the highest cap. And the Pats have loads of room. I should be used to this by now.

The pats have plenty of holes to fill, they've been one of the worst drafting teams over the last half-decade, albeit for a few bug hits here and there. Without Brady that team's franchise would be bitching about their glaring holes tenfold what we are. Well, maybe not, our fans are beyond negative and bring every scenario to hyperbole.

If it's one thing any of you negative nancys should have learned by now is that with Tanny as our GM the cap has and will never be a problem. He is an absolute master at it. This is unarguably his best asset to the organization, and with how the NFL is constructed that is very valuable. The only negative is that a GM shouldnt just be a cap genius.

We are over the cap, but the boy wonder cap genius can just re-structure ad-infinitum. Greek debt football style.

The pats have plenty of holes to fill, they've been one of the worst drafting teams over the last half-decade, albeit for a few bug hits here and there. Without Brady that team's franchise would be bitching about their glaring holes tenfold what we are. Well, maybe not, our fans are beyond negative and bring every scenario to hyperbole.

Last time I checked, the Pats are on TV this weekend. So, what is your point -- aside from the one on the top of your head?

Last time I checked, the Pats are on TV this weekend. So, what is your point -- aside from the one on the top of your head?

Stop trying to sound so condescending in every post, you come across as a petulant child. My point, which was extremely clear, was that Brady masks the vast majority of their holes. We clearly don't have the luxury of an all-time great QB. However, we arent as destitute as your incessant woe-is-me attitude towards every jets' topic would lead us to believe. .

We are over the cap, but the boy wonder cap genius can just re-structure ad-infinitum. Greek debt football style.

He has and he will. What example specifically leads you to believe that we won't have enough money/cap to sign a player in which we covet? Admittedly, Tanny is not my favorite GM, but what has he done to make you think our cap won't be fine?

Either way, Tanny will work it out, but it is amazing to see a team like the Pats having two one's and two two's and a 99 mil cap number while they are the most dominant offensive team in the league. They draft a lot of clunkers, btu they have a ton of pics every year to do it with. We, on the other hand, trade away pics for Sanchez and green.

i like our guys, but I hope they are learning from this past season of poor personel decisions and lackluster play.

Slow and steady wins the race man. Slow and steady wins the race

Wow, you are really setting a standard. Could you possibly set the bar any lower?

Irrelevant.

I quoted that post. It was thoroughly incorrect. That's the point. This has nothing to do with being content (or not) to be better than the Dolphins or Bills. It has everything to do with the fact that the statement was incorrect. You said "we have the most holes to fill," but we do not. We might have the 3rd most (out of 4), and some might even argue we have the least (see BroadwayJoe12's posts.)

And, I am not sure whether the Bills are in better or worse overall shape than us going forward.

I know that we have beaten them in 7 of the last 8 matchups - and often by 20 or more points. Far as I'm concerned, that's a pretty good sign.

I'm pretty sure that number does not include the carry over from 2011's cap, mostly because it is not official yet, but that should take off 8 million or so. We will be around 117 million before cutting, and restructuring, not to mention the cap increase the 120 million is 2011's cap not 2012's.

:roll:

:roll:

I see you conveniently failed to notice that I said you guys have had some big hits: gronk, Hernandez, spikes and Chung. However, with the volume of draft picks that your team has had the last few years it has missed much more than hit. I'm not saying the jets have been better, but the besides a couple big hits, the pats haven't been that great.

Every AFC East team has holes. As for the Pats, a significant chunk of that cap space will go to Welker. Even after that, the Pats will be looking to get younger at WR (Deion Branch can't play forever, and Ocho has been useless this season). They obviously need help in the defensive backfield, and getting another athlete for the front 7 would be good as well.

I see you conveniently failed to notice that I said you guys have had some big hits: gronk, Hernandez, spikes and Chung. However, with the volume of draft picks that your team has had the last few years it has missed much more than hit. I'm not saying the jets have been better, but the besides a couple big hits, the pats haven't been that great.

:roll: :roll: J/K.

Yes, they have had alot of picks over the past three seasons. 33 to be exact. The 17 that have come after the 3rd round I am not too worried about.

It is great when one like Hernandez who dropped due to a pot issue works out.

I am more concerned when a McCourty, Cunningham take a step back after a good to very good rookie year. Or a guy like Butler that never seemed to click despite an occasional show of potential.

Belichick drafting has some warts on it, but his drafting over the last few seasons has been pretty good. It would have been nice if they were that good from 2006-2008.

I think it's only a 3.5M cap hit.

Looks like worst case -11.75 Best case -5

No one will trade for Holmes and take over that contract. if I had to guess it will be around -8 or so. More then likely any one who would sign him will give him a signing bonus, which will be structured over the length of the deal, and vets min, as salary.

Archived