Gloomy Peyton Could Leave Colts

flgreen

Gloomy Peyton could leave Colts

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:10 AM, January 25, 2012

Posted: 12:34 AM, January 25, 2012

More icon_print.gif Print

Peyton Manning sounds pessimistic about his future with the Colts, giving some life to the idea he could wind up with the Jets in 2012.

Manning painted a grim picture of life with the Colts in a wide-ranging interview with the Indianapolis Star that was published yesterday. Manning said he has “no idea” what his future is with the team, which has undergone major changes.

“I’m not in a very good place for healing, let’s say that,” the star quarterback told the newspaper.

“It’s not a real good environment down there right now, to say the least. Everybody’s walking around on eggshells. I don’t recognize our building right now. There’s such complete and total change.”

New general manager Ryan Grigson told Manning that owner Jim Irsay will be the one who decides his future, the quarterback said. The Colts must decide by March 8 whether to pay Manning a $28 million roster bonus.

If Manning becomes a free agent, the Jets likely will consider bringing in the former Super Bowl champion. Despite their public declarations that Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback, the opportunity to see Manning in green and white might be too delicious for owner Woody Johnson to pass up.

The Dolphins, Cardinals and Redskins also have been mentioned as possible suitors for Eli’s big brother.

Manning must first show he is healthy before any team, including the Colts, would pencil him in for next season. Coming off neck surgery that cost him this season, Manning said he can’t predict how healthy he will be in March when the Colts must decide whether to cut him.

The 35-year-old has spent his entire career in Indianapolis after being drafted No. 1 in 1998. Manning said he wants to remain a Colt for his entire career.

“I don’t want to get into some kind of fan campaign with the owner, but I think it’s well documented that I want to play in the same place my whole career,” Manning said. “But I understand how it works. I understand tough decisions have to be made. There’s personal and there’s business, and that’s where we’ve got to separate the two. I’ve seen other guys leave places, and it was personal.

I’ve invested too much into this city for that to happen.

“Whatever happens, happens. I can’t give you a prediction because Jim and I will sit down at some point and he’ll get a feel for where I am and I’ll get a sense of what direction he wants to go. Right now, I have no idea.”

Manning has been spending his time rehabbing at the Colts training center. He described a depressing scene with staff members cleaning out their offices every day as the franchise undergoes massive changes. Longtime general manager Bill Polian and head coach Jim Caldwell were fired in addition to many other coaches and front office workers.

* The Jets hired Dave DeGuglielmo as their new offensive line coach yesterday. He spent the last three seasons with the Dolphins under new Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/horse_sense_pKjEkQkN2DPaoTCHzFGr8H#ixzz1kTxa3mYc

Believe me if there is a way, he will end up playing for our Jets. And if that does happen....I can almost without a thought/doubt (barring any injury) Peyton will be taking our beloved Jets to the super bowl...and if that happens, prepare for complete chaos in the New York Area leading up to the game.

Believe me if there is a way, he will end up playing for our Jets. And if that does happen....I can almost without a thought/doubt (barring any injury) Peyton will be taking our beloved Jets to the super bowl...and if that happens, prepare for complete chaos in the New York Area leading up to the game.

I'd love to believe that. But I cant. Ive been a Jets fan long enough to know that:

Manning will end up somewhere else, shunning us for the 2nd time in his career.

If he does come to the Jets, he will get hurt just as we're beginning a run and we're forced to use Greg McElroy who will be worse than Rick Mirer.

I'd love to believe that. But I cant. Ive been a Jets fan long enough to know that:

If he does come to the Jets, he will get hurt just as we're beginning a run and we're forced to use Greg McElroy who will be worse than Rick Mirer.

Nightmare scenario..........indeed

If I'm Peyton, with a fragile neck, and I must choose a team...here's my criteria:

"Can this team consistently produce an Offensive Line that protects me?"

And this, ladies and gents, is why Peyton won't be coming to NJ.

Manning was always low on the sack total as he gave out line calls better than anyone and could read the blitz and get rid if the ball, not because of superior line play. He def had some good olines, but we get a quality RT and this would be his most talented one to date.

If Manning becomes a free agent, the Jets likely will consider bringing in the former Super Bowl champion. Despite their public declarations that Mark Sanchez will remain the starting quarterback, the opportunity to see Manning in green and white might be too delicious for owner Woody Johnson to pass up.

Hey wait what's that? Under my belly, poking up? Oh hell it's my Woody. Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!

Even though conventional wisdom would suggest this I beg you to consider this.. Did you ever think a woman would cook for you and have sex with you in the same hour? Huh? Probably not, most of us fatties don't think we could possibly ever have it that good. So.. if that happen so can the Jets land Peyton. They landed Favre and if he didn't get hurt we had a shot. Dare to believe with me.

Ahhh, but then the quandry - with Peytie Pie being a Jet, and Eli being a Gint, who then, is the Big Brother in New York? It's a is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Peyton won't come here mainly because his greedy azs will want too much money. Is he worth losing Revis, Harris, Muhammad Wilkerson, Greene, Mangold etc? Not at 35 and with health questions. Forget it, its not a good move. Just look at Favre in 2008, everyone was saying yay while I said nay, and we know how that season turned out don't we?

Archived