Dunbar - soon to be new D-line coach

wildthing2022000

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/01/source-jets-target-karl-dunbar-to-be-new-defensive-line-coach

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have offered Karl Dunbar their defensive line coach position.

Barring an eleventh-hour change of heart, it is believed that Dunbar, who spent six seasons as the defensive line coach for the Vikings before he was fired earlier this month, will accept the offer. The Jets targeted Dunbar shortly after he and the Vikings parted ways, bringing him to the team facility in Florham Park, New Jersey, for an interview two weeks ago.

The Jets have already made radical changes to their offensive staff by hiring offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal.

Current defensive line coach Mark Carrier may be reassigned to another staff position.

Dunbar helped build one of the most stout run defenses in the league over the past several years. Anchored by the famed “Williams Wall” of Pat Williams and Kevin Williams, the Vikings lead the league in rush defense from 2006-08 and ranked second in 2009. Dunbar also coached perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen. The Vikings ranked in the Top 10 in total defense from 2008-2010.

Dunbar, a former defensive end, played for Buddy Ryan with the Cardinals in 1994 and 1995. Rex Ryan was a defensive assistant on that staff, coaching the defensive line in 1994.

I didn't even realize that...Sutton is still here and is in charge of the OLB's...where we have no pass rush. I'd like to replace him with a fiery OLB coach who can light a fire under our OLB's because aside from Maybin, they're all slow and display no pass rush moves.

I didn't even realize that...Sutton is still here and is in charge of the OLB's...where we have no pass rush. I'd like to replace him with a fiery OLB coach who can light a fire under our OLB's because aside from Maybin, they're all slow and display no pass rush moves.

Will a more fiery coach really improve the pass rush? Cause I have trouble buying that...

A change in coaching can most certainly improve how a unit performs, both good and bad.

As does talent...IMO Suttons done a very good job with the guys he's had...Thomas took to the position almost instantly...Harris became a top notch ILB....Westernan is solid depth...Not really much to complain about beyond Gholston...that said giving Sutton an assistant/apprentice...especially a young, well thought of guy like Carrier...that's a great fn idea IMO.

Coaching is just about everything in the NFL take a look at the diff between the 2010 and the 2011 SF Niners for example

Exactly. Sure, talent helps, but a change in coaching philosophy can have a huge effect on a team or player's performance. Unless that player's last name is Gholston... :)

Archived