Will the Changes on the Offensive Coaching Staff Impact the Draft and Free Agency?

MTJ06

The Jets have had defensive minded head coaches for years now.

They have used their first pick in the draft on a defensive player in 7 of the last 10 years. They have brought in free agents for the D like Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Jim Leonard, as well as made trades for guys like Jenkins and Cromartie all of whom, with the exception of Jenkins, are still on the team.

So will we see a change in mindset as far as the players the Jets go after in the draft and free agency now that Rex has hired his own offensive staff, and stated that he will be more involved in the offense.

Now that they have made these changes the offense HAS to improve from last year otherwise they look like fools for getting rid of Schotty, especially if he has more success with the Rams than the Jets do with Sparano.

It makes me wonder if they will be aggressive in going after offensive players to make their decisions to part ways with Schotty and their decision to hire Sparano pan out to be the right ones. This is Rex's offensive staff now, and the offense needs to succeed.

It will certainly have an impact. How much, who knows? Offensively speaking, the only glaring holes are at RT, a blocking TE and a WR...maybe another RB but I'm less concerned with that position as it become more and more a plug and play position with each passing year. So, I'm not sure how much of that changes because of a new OC, think that would be the priorities either way and I dont see them using a top draft choice on any of those positions.

It will certainly have an impact. How much, who knows? Offensively speaking, the only glaring holes are at RT, a blocking TE and a WR...maybe another RB but I'm less concerned with that position as it become more and more a plug and play position with each passing year. So, I'm not sure how much of that changes because of a new OC, think that would be the priorities either way and I dont see them using a top draft choice on any of those positions.

Ive thought the same thing as Ive read endless the Jets should draft Trent Richardson posts. But now I wonder if they would be willing to make a move like that on offense if it gives them the best chance for an immediate upgrade. They may feel that they are under pressure for the Offense to succeed with Schotty going to the Rams as OC. If he went to college or was a QB coach somewhere, then not so much.

Ive thought the same thing as Ive read endless the Jets should draft Trent Richardson posts. But now I wonder if they would be willing to make a move like that on offense if it gives them the best chance for an immediate upgrade. They may feel that they are under pressure for the Offense to succeed with Schotty going to the Rams as OC. If he went to college or was a QB coach somewhere, then not so much.

I would hate for them to give up picks to move up. I wonder if there is a slim chance that LaMichael James falls in our lap???

Offensive players I hope are targeted:

QB- J. Campbell ( can challenge for start)

B. Leftwich (if deadset on Sanchez)

HB- K. Smith (would love this-cheap and even tho not BLAZING fast, he. always seems to break a few)

J. Forsett / T. Hightower (if healthy)

WR- M. Wallace (WISH) / B. Edwards / P. Garcon

TE- L. Pope / D. Fells (decent blockers)

OT- D. Bell / V. Carey / J. Gaither

Not saying they will sign all or any, just players I think can help this offense get back on track.

They have used their first pick in the draft on a defensive player in 7 of the last 10 years. They have brought in free agents for the D like Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Jim Leonard, as well as made trades for guys like Jenkins and Cromartie all of whom, with the exception of Jenkins, are still on the team.

So will we see a change in mindset as far as the players the Jets go after in the draft and free agency now that Rex has hired his own offensive staff, and stated that he will be more involved in the offense.

Now that they have made these changes the offense HAS to improve from last year otherwise they look like fools for getting rid of Schotty, especially if he has more success with the Rams than the Jets do with Sparano.

It makes me wonder if they will be aggressive in going after offensive players to make their decisions to part ways with Schotty and their decision to hire Sparano pan out to be the right ones. This is Rex's offensive staff now, and the offense needs to succeed.

While all this is true about investment in the defense, under defensive coaches and this same GM who follows what they want they also:

Traded the value of a high 3rd-round pick plus a pretty significant contract for Thomas Jones

Traded a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, a starting DE, a starting LB, and a backup QB in order to draft Mark Sanchez and give him a $60M contract (or whatever it was).

Traded a 2nd or 3rd (can't remember offhand) round pick that could have turned into a 1st round pick for Brett Favre.

Traded a 3rd and a 5th (?) for Braylon Edwards. Paid his RFA tender of $6M in 2010.

Traded a 5th for Santonio Holmes then gave him :bag: a $45M contract with $23M (?) guaranteed.

Used a #4 overall pick on LT Ferguson, then extended him on a $10M/year deal.

Used a 1st round pick on a center Mangold, then extended him on an $8M/year deal.

Used a 2nd round pick on a QB, Clemens.

Traded a 4th rounder (?) to move up into round 1 to draft a TE, Keller.

Gave an $8M/year contract to free agent LG, Faneca.

Gave a $5M/year contract to free agent RT, Woody.

Re-signed RG Moore to a decent-sized (yet reasonable, for a change) contract.

There were also some good moves they made by not making a move, like not matching Brad Smith's offer, not caving in to Braylon Edwards' supposedly ludicrous demands to be paid like Holmes, getting a 4th rounder for Leon Washington instead of caving to his starter-money demands, and not giving up the farm (and the pick used for Nick Mangold) to trade up from #29 for Matt Leinart in 2006.

This team, under this GM with its defensive minded coaches, have spent a ridiculous amount of team resources (money and draft picks) on the offensive side of the ball. The idea that they have somehow ignored the offense is ludicrous. The #1 problem is the QB's they burned so much money and players traded-away and draft picks on haven't panned out as hoped (to put it mildly).

In the last 3 years the Jets have drafted 3 defensive players and only 7 over the last 5 years. If you count the pick traded for Cromartie then the Jets have 6 defensive players who are on the team now which were drafted in the last 5 years.

The team has drafted 4 RB, 2 WR and 2 QBs in the last three years and 4 WR, 4 RB, and 3 QBs in the last five years. The Jets have had a league low 23 picks over the last five years 16 used on offense. Now the Jets need to get another RB, WR and QB in this year’s draft?

This team wins with its defense which is old, slow, lacks depth and has big holes at linebacker and safety. In the last 5 years 2 linebackers were taken in the draft only one, Harris, is left.

Yes, the team spent money on free agents and traded picks for veteran players on defense but the time has come to use the draft and get some younger, faster and cheaper players. The Jets have neglected the defense in the draft far too long. The expensive deadwood will be going soon and need replacements this year.

With all the needs on this team trade back in the draft get an extra pick or two and build the team trough the draft, not with the draft, like they have done too often. I'm not saying ignore the offense in the draft but the defense should be the priority. You’ve going to have to neglect some position. If that means drafting an o-lineman in the 5th round hopefully he can contribute, in fact lots of late round picks do. The Jets can sign some stop gap free agents, like Edward, to fill any other holes. The Jets need to set up for the next wave because their roster is certainly in transition.

While all this is true about investment in the defense, under defensive coaches and this same GM who follows what they want they also:

Traded the value of a high 3rd-round pick plus a pretty significant contract for Thomas Jones

Traded a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, a starting DE, a starting LB, and a backup QB in order to draft Mark Sanchez and give him a $60M contract (or whatever it was).

Traded a 2nd or 3rd (can't remember offhand) round pick that could have turned into a 1st round pick for Brett Favre.

Traded a 3rd and a 5th (?) for Braylon Edwards. Paid his RFA tender of $6M in 2010.

Traded a 5th for Santonio Holmes then gave him :bag: a $45M contract with $23M (?) guaranteed.

Used a 1st round pick on a center Mangold, then extended him on an $8M/year deal.

There were also some good moves they made by not making a move, like not matching Brad Smith's offer, not caving in to Braylon Edwards' supposedly ludicrous demands to be paid like Holmes, getting a 4th rounder for Leon Washington instead of caving to his starter-money demands, and not giving up the farm (and the pick used for Nick Mangold) to trade up from #29 for Matt Leinart in 2006.

This team, under this GM with its defensive minded coaches, have spent a ridiculous amount of team resources (money and draft picks) on the offensive side of the ball. The idea that they have somehow ignored the offense is ludicrous. The #1 problem is the QB's they burned so much money and players traded-away and draft picks on haven't panned out as hoped (to put it mildly).

I thnik the Jets gave up a 2009 5th and a 2010 4th for Lito Sheppard but got the Eagles 2010 5th. Another great one.

I thnik the Jets gave up a 2009 5th and a 2010 4th for Lito Sheppard but got the Eagles 2010 5th. Another great one.

Well they also gave up picks for Jenkins but I was only listing offense.

Sheppard didn't work out, but it was a low risk high upside trade. He was only 28, was a star CB not long prior, and we had a gaping hole at the position. I won't weep because we didn't get a chance to draft another Jason Pociask.

Well they also gave up picks for Jenkins but I was only listing offense.

Sheppard didn't work out, but it was a low risk high upside trade. He was only 28, was a star CB not long prior, and we had a gaping hole at the position. I won't weep because we didn't get a chance to draft another Jason Pociask.

Was just pointing out another bad move by the Jets wasting picks again, saw you focused on the O. This is why the Jets are where they are. You'll never know what any picks could have been but the time has come to stop gutting the draft and actually use it.

I actually wish the Jets had 'a Pociask' intead of a Mulligan. Maybe they can get a 'Mulligan' this year, I know they help my golf score.

In the last 3 years the Jets have drafted 3 defensive players and only 7 over the last 5 years. If you count the pick traded for Cromartie then the Jets have 6 defensive players who are on the team now which were drafted in the last 5 years.

The team has drafted 4 RB, 2 WR and 2 QBs in the last three years and 4 WR, 4 RB, and 3 QBs in the last five years. The Jets have had a league low 23 picks over the last five years 16 used on offense. Now the Jets need to get another RB, WR and QB in this year’s draft?

This team wins with its defense which is old, slow, lacks depth and has big holes at linebacker and safety. In the last 5 years 2 linebackers were taken in the draft only one, Harris, is left.

Yes, the team spent money on free agents and traded picks for veteran players on defense but the time has come to use the draft and get some younger, faster and cheaper players. The Jets have neglected the defense in the draft far too long. The expensive deadwood will be going soon and need replacements this year.

How you can say the Jets have "neglected defense" in the draft far to long when they have consistently used their first pick in the draft on defense. In the last 3 years the Jets have drafted 3 defensive players 2 in the first round. 7 of their last 10 times they have used their first pick on defense and 10 of the last 15. Are you really going to compare the first round picks that they used on D to the late round fliers they have taken on offense? Is a 7th round McElroy, McKnight or a 5th round Conner really supposed to have the same impact as a first round Wilson or Wilkerson?

In the last 5 years the Jets have used their first pick on defense 4 times and while they have drafted 4 wrs they havent pick one earlier than round 5. So again I guess the fact that they drafted Chansi Stuckey(who is no longer with the team) in the 7th, Marcus Henry (who is no longer with the team) in the 6th, Scotty Mcknight in the 7th means we are all set at WR. The reason why they have had to use 4 picks on WR is they keep drafting wrs in the later rounds and none of the picks work out.(1/4 Kerley). The jets have used 16 of their last 23 picks overall on offense at the positions you mentioned but does using late round picks on guys like Jacob Bender, Chansi Stuckey, Nate Garner, Marcus Henry, Eric Ainge really the same as using first rounders on Defense?

When a team consistently uses its first pick in the draft on defense, and signs/trades for in their prime free agents such as Pace, Scott, Leonard and Cromartie they shouldnt have to use their late rounders on D as well. I understand that some of these guys are getting old and need to be replaced.

The question is with needs on both sides of the ball does Rex feel pressured to defer to the offense now that he has his own offensive coordinator running the offense, and Schotty immediatley got a job as an offensive coordinator. Because we all know that Jet fans and the NY media will be all over him if HIS offense fails and Schotty has any success with the Rams. If the Jets Offense is worse than, just as good as, or only slightly better than the Rams offense this year dont you think Rex is gonna hear it?

Not trying to say that they ignored the offense at all. But they have taken somewhat patchwork approach to it and, as you and I whave discussed in other threads, that has cost them. Guys like Farve, Faneca, Woody, and Thomas Jones they have brought in on offense were in the latter stages of their careers, and werent long term solutions. They made the spalsh trading a pick for Favre, then he left so they traded multiple picks and players for Sanchez, then they didnt have receivers so they traded multiple picks for Edwards and they didnt resign him, so they had to sign burress, and now he is gone and we have another hole and so on and so forth. I dont think the situation has been the same with the defense. The fact that they have consistently used their first pick in the draft and signed or traded for players in their prime has lead to less turnover.

The #1 problem as you stated is that they have burned alot of resources on players and picks for the offense that havent been long term solutions or that havent panned out.

I think another area where you can see the impact of having a defensive minded coaching staff is in the fact that as Denden mentioned the Jets have used alot of their picks in the later rounds on offense, but as I stated they havent gotten much in return for them. This is a knock on the old offensive coaching staff as it seems we have been better at developing players on defense. While we still have major question marks in offensive players like Vlad Duccasse, John Connor, Wayne Hunter, Shon Greene, Bilal powell etc the defensive coaching staff has had great success developing players like Mike Devito, Marcus Dixon, AAron Maybin, Ropati Pitoitua and Rex previously with guys like Scott and Leonard.

The question is does Rex feel pressured to defer to the offense now that he has his own offensive coordinator running the offense, and Schotty immediatley got a job as an offensive coordinator. If they use their first 2 or 3 picks on defense are they setting up Sporano to fail? Maybe they will feel pressured to have an offensive mindset going into the draft and free agency figuring that the defensive coaching staff will have more success developing players drafted in rounds 4-7 than the offensive coaching has had in the past. You know many Jets fans and in the media will be comparing Sparano to Schotty all season long if the offense isnt playing well.

You reading way too much into this. The CS doens't matter even a little to free agents. Who the coaching staff is is entirely secondary as to how big the check the Jets or any other team might be able or willing write to a prospective free agent. Witness Plaxico Burress coming here for a big check, and Todd Heap going elsewhere for a bigger check.

You reading way too much into this. The CS doens't matter even a little to free agents. Who the coaching staff is is entirely secondary as to how big the check the Jets or any other team might be able or willing write to a prospective free agent. Witness Plaxico Burress coming here for a big check, and Todd Heap going elsewhere for a bigger check.

Not looking at it from the players point of view, but instead from the Jets point of view. I understand that players will go where the money is.

The Jets have identified the offense as the reason for their 8-8 season and have made changes to the staff by letting Schotty, Callahan, and Ellard go. Rex has now hired his offensive stafff by bringing in Sparano, DeGuglielmo, and Lal. The Jets are going to be under pressure to have a successful offense this year especially with Schotty getting a job elswhere immediately. If the offense lays an egg after they replaced several coaches, they will feel the heat.

Yet I've seen many posts stating that the Jets should go defense with their first 2 or 3 picks in the draft, but isnt that setting up Sparano for failure? Is it realistic for a team that has identified the offense as its weakness to use its first 2-3 draft picks on defense?

How you can say the Jets have "neglected defense" in the draft far to long when they have consistently used their first pick in the draft on defense. In the last 3 years the Jets have drafted 3 defensive players 2 in the first round. 7 of their last 10 times they have used their first pick on defense and 10 of the last 15. Are you really going to compare the first round picks that they used on D to the late round fliers they have taken on offense? Is a 7th round McElroy, McKnight or a 5th round Conner really supposed to have the same impact as a first round Wilson or Wilkerson?

In the last 5 years the Jets have used their first pick on defense 4 times and while they have drafted 4 wrs they havent pick one earlier than round 5. So again I guess the fact that they drafted Chansi Stuckey(who is no longer with the team) in the 7th, Marcus Henry (who is no longer with the team) in the 6th, Scotty Mcknight in the 7th means we are all set at WR. The reason why they have had to use 4 picks on WR is they keep drafting wrs in the later rounds and none of the picks work out.(1/4 Kerley). The jets have used 16 of their last 23 picks overall on offense at the positions you mentioned but does using late round picks on guys like Jacob Bender, Chansi Stuckey, Nate Garner, Marcus Henry, Eric Ainge really the same as using first rounders on Defense?

When a team consistently uses its first pick in the draft on defense, and signs/trades for in their prime free agents such as Pace, Scott, Leonard and Cromartie they shouldnt have to use their late rounders on D as well. I understand that some of these guys are getting old and need to be replaced.

The question is with needs on both sides of the ball does Rex feel pressured to defer to the offense now that he has his own offensive coordinator running the offense, and Schotty immediatley got a job as an offensive coordinator. Because we all know that Jet fans and the NY media will be all over him if HIS offense fails and Schotty has any success with the Rams. If the Jets Offense is worse than, just as good as, or only slightly better than the Rams offense this year dont you think Rex is gonna hear it?

Let’s see in the last three drafts: 3 defense picks , Wilkerson, Ellis and Wilson - 10 offense: Defense 2-#1, and #3; Offense 1-#1, 1-#2, 1-#3, 2-#4, 2-#5, 1-#6, 2-#7. I will gladly trade 3 picks for the 10 the offense had. The Jets are going to change 3 of their 4 starting linebackers by 2013 and they have no replacements now. If the role is reversed the defense could have drafted 4 linebackers 4 safeties/CB and 2 D-linemen. The offense can have the 2-#1's and #3 you think the offense would be any better? No Jeremy Kerley, Joe McKnight, John Connor, Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene or Matt Slauson. Let's not forget Vladimir Ducasse either.

No matter how you draft it is still a numbers game. It is a known fact that not all picks are going to work out. Is #1Kyle Wilson a starter, no, but #6 Matt Slauson is. The more picks you have the better your chance for success, not how high, look at Vernon Gholston, how did he work out? Fact is the Jets have use over 60% of their picks on 3 positions, what about the other ones? The last 5 years 30% on defense, no matter what they are not all going to work out. To little put into the defense. Maybe the team should have given the offense higher picks and the defense more but history is history.

MarQues Colston was a 7th round WR, he's pretty good, so Scotty McKnight can just be junk cause he was drafted in the 7th. Ahmad Bradshaw RB was drafted in the 7th he's pretty good but Bilal Powell RB 4th rounder can be junk. Chansi Stuckey WR wasn't a bad player for a 7th rounder and was traded for Sanchez. The NFL is littered with late round Pro Blow players not all first round players. Just because these player stink doesn't mean the offense is not taking care of in the draft.

So the Jets have to stop neglecting the Defense in the draft, let the offense draft an O-linemen at #16 and WR at #108 this year and the D can have the rest. I guarantee the D-players will make more of a contribution moving forward.

Jesus F'ing Criminy

So the Jets have to stop neglecting the Defense in the draft, let the offense draft an O-linemen at #16 and WR at #108 this year and the D can have the rest. I guarantee the D-players will make more of a contribution moving forward.

In the last 5 years the Jets have done the following for the defense:

Drafted Revis in the First round of the 2007 draft

Drafted Harris in the second round of the 2007 draft

Drafted Gholston in the first round of the 2008 draft

Drafted Wilson in the first round of the 2010 draft

Drafted Wilkerson in the first round of the 2011 draft

Signed a 27 year old Calvin Pace as a FA

Signed a 28 year old Bart Scott as a FA

Signed a 26 year old Jim Leonard as a FA

Traded for a 26 year old Antonio Cromartie

The Jets have used the majority of their picks on offense the last 3 years because they didnt have as many needs on defense, and when they did they solidified them with either a first round pick or a free agent in their prime. Going into 2010 they needed CBs so they traded for a 26 year old Cromartie in his prime and used their first round pick on another CB Wilson. 2011 they needed Dline so they used their top 2 picks on linemen. The Jets have only used 30% of their picks on D the last 5 years because they went out and signed Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Jim Leonard, and traded for Cromartie, and used 1st and 2nd rounders on Revis, Wilson, Wilkerson, Harris. Thats 8 players that should be nailing down starting position for several years. Going into last year most thought the only weakness on the D was Eric Smith and thats why they used the majority of their picks on offense.

I dont think the Jets are as effective at filling the voids on the offense, they seem to patch things together at times reaching to try and fill needs. Kyle Wilson, a first rounder, isnt starting because he has a probable hall of famer (Revis) and another CB (Cromartie) in his prime ahead of him on the depth chart. Who are the hall of famer and other guard in his prime blocking Slaussen's, a 6th rounder, path as a starter? While any pick in any round can be boom or bust, most people expect 1st and 2nd rounders to have an immediate impact or at least become starters. In the last 5 years the Jets have drafted Sanchez, Keller, and Ducasse and brought in Holmes as a free agent and have otherwise tried to patch things together with guys that are no longer here. They have had no where near the success with the offense that they have had with the defense.

You say we have to stop neglecting the defense in the draft, well the Jets havent drafted a WR in rounds 1-3 of the draft in 10 years and its not like we have had a bunch of all pros starting at the position. That's neglect, especially considering its become a passing league. What would you think if we hadnt drafted a DL, LB or CB in rounds 1-3 for that many years? Had we actually drafted for the position at the top of the draft at some time we may not have needed to trade away a 3 and a 5 for Edwards, and trade away a 5th for Holmes and then resign him to a high priced contract. So neglecting to draft WRs early has cost us both picks and salary cap dollars. For every Colston or bradshaw taken in the late rounds who succeed, there are probably 200 guys taken in those rounds at the same positions who fail.

I do however agree 100% with you that it is a number game, and would prefer it if Tanny would collect draft picks rather than toss them away at will the way he does. I also agree that going into the 2012 season we have needs at the LB and safety positions that we need to address, but I disagree when you say that the defense has been neglected in the draft.

Optimally Id like to see the Jets in a position to improve the pass rush in the first round, but I would also like to see them pay some attention to the offense in rounds 2-3 depending upon availability, rather than throwing all of their picks in 4-7 at the offense. I think those picks would be better suited being used on the D as the coaches on that side of the ball have shown the are better at developing or utilizing those type players. But it all depends on where the value is in the draft.

My Question in general though is will Rex and the Jets feel pressured to make major moves on the offense now that he has hired his own guy to coordinate the offense?

In the last 5 years the Jets have done the following for the defense:

Drafted Revis in the First round of the 2007 draft

Drafted Harris in the second round of the 2007 draft

Drafted Gholston in the first round of the 2008 draft

Drafted Wilson in the first round of the 2010 draft

Drafted Wilkerson in the first round of the 2011 draft

Signed a 27 year old Calvin Pace as a FA

Signed a 28 year old Bart Scott as a FA

Signed a 26 year old Jim Leonard as a FA

Traded for a 26 year old Antonio Cromartie

The Jets have used the majority of their picks on offense the last 3 years because they didnt have as many needs on defense, and when they did they solidified them with either a first round pick or a free agent in their prime. Going into 2010 they needed CBs so they traded for a 26 year old Cromartie in his prime and used their first round pick on another CB Wilson. 2011 they needed Dline so they used their top 2 picks on linemen. The Jets have only used 30% of their picks on D the last 5 years because they went out and signed Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Jim Leonard, and traded for Cromartie, and used 1st and 2nd rounders on Revis, Wilson, Wilkerson, Harris. Thats 8 players that should be nailing down starting position for several years. Going into last year most thought the only weakness on the D was Eric Smith and thats why they used the majority of their picks on offense.

I dont think the Jets are as effective at filling the voids on the offense, they seem to patch things together at times reaching to try and fill needs. Kyle Wilson, a first rounder, isnt starting because he has a probable hall of famer (Revis) and another CB (Cromartie) in his prime ahead of him on the depth chart. Who are the hall of famer and other guard in his prime blocking Slaussen's, a 6th rounder, path as a starter? While any pick in any round can be boom or bust, most people expect 1st and 2nd rounders to have an immediate impact or at least become starters. In the last 5 years the Jets have drafted Sanchez, Keller, and Ducasse and brought in Holmes as a free agent and have otherwise tried to patch things together with guys that are no longer here. They have had no where near the success with the offense that they have had with the defense.

You say we have to stop neglecting the defense in the draft, well the Jets havent drafted a WR in rounds 1-3 of the draft in 10 years and its not like we have had a bunch of all pros starting at the position. That's neglect, especially considering its become a passing league. What would you think if we hadnt drafted a DL, LB or CB in rounds 1-3 for that many years? Had we actually drafted for the position at the top of the draft at some time we may not have needed to trade away a 3 and a 5 for Edwards, and trade away a 5th for Holmes and then resign him to a high priced contract. So neglecting to draft WRs early has cost us both picks and salary cap dollars. For every Colston or bradshaw taken in the late rounds who succeed, there are probably 200 guys taken in those rounds at the same positions who fail.

I do however agree 100% with you that it is a number game, and would prefer it if Tanny would collect draft picks rather than toss them away at will the way he does. I also agree that going into the 2012 season we have needs at the LB and safety positions that we need to address, but I disagree when you say that the defense has been neglected in the draft.

Optimally Id like to see the Jets in a position to improve the pass rush in the first round, but I would also like to see them pay some attention to the offense in rounds 2-3 depending upon availability, rather than throwing all of their picks in 4-7 at the offense. I think those picks would be better suited being used on the D as the coaches on that side of the ball have shown the are better at developing or utilizing those type players. But it all depends on where the value is in the draft.

My Question in general though is will Rex and the Jets feel pressured to make major moves on the offense now that he has hired his own guy to coordinate the offense?

All true the bottom line is you can't get back the draft picks the Jets gave away so where is the priority? The team has traded pick and signed high priced FA for both sides of the ball. They have gone top heavy defense in the draft early. Wilson was supposed to start and they wouldn't be stuck with Cromartie's big contract, but that didn't work out.

The team has needs on both sides how can they fill them, I don't know?. One side will have to be neglected a little. So if the Jets go O-line at 16 and say WR at 47 there is no problem with that but the needs of the defense will have to be addressed other ways.

I personally feel like drafting more defense and using stop gap FA at O-line, RB and maybe WR, Edwards cheap and knows the team is the way to go. However they pick, they better have a good draft can't afford big swing and misses in the draft this year. The teams needs to get some solid players, starters even, to have success this year and beyond. Younger, faster and cheaper no matter who they pick where.

hopefully Tanny continues to draft as well or better than he has since 2006

2006 Ferguson, Mangold, E Smith

2007 Revis, Harris

2008 the Gholston mistake (pretty much his only total whiff), Keller

2009 Sanchez, Greene, Slaussen

2010 Wilson, Ducasse (hopefully not total whiff number 2), McKnight, Connor

2011 Wilkerson, Ellis, Powell, Kerley

as good or better than any GM in the NFL IMO

2007 Revis, Harris

Why'd you leave out Scotty McKnight? Dude's a futurebeast.

I didn't include players that didn't make the team, pessimism patty,

but since, obviously, it is your opinion that everything about the Jets sucks, show me another team's draft harvest since 2006 that was even close to being as good...

I also didn't include players that did make the team, contributed extremely well for the Jets and aren't on the team anymore which would have made my list even better

like Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Drew Coleman just to name three

but thanks anyway for bringing up a seventh round pick that didn't make the team because it obviously fit your sky is falling agenda

I didn't include players that didn't make the team, pessimism patty,

but since, obviously, it is your opinion that everything about the Jets sucks, show me another team's draft harvest since 2006 that was even close to being as good...

This is how that game is played:

1. I say "Listing Kerley, Conner, McKnight, Ellis, Ducasse, Sanchez, Powell and Eric Smith as some sort of defense of a GM's success is ludicrous."

2. You reply with, "They're either fringe All Pro's now or will be All Pro's. Two AFC Championship Games. Yadda."

3. I say, "Packers, Steelers, Giants, Niners, Texans."

4. You say, "The players on those teams really aren't that good. Healthy Westerman=Clay Matthews. Amobi Okoye much?"

2007 Revis, Harris

You dont get it, Tanny only evaluates what type of #2 pencil to buy. Football players are out of his expertise. The jets HC drafts all the players on this team

You dont get it, Tanny only evaluates what type of #2 pencil to buy. Football players are out of his expertise. The jets HC drafts all the players on this team

The coaches/scouts should evaluate players who fit their system. The Jets should just trust their eyes and set up a board and got with it. Tannenbaum or 'trader Mike' should be setting up deals to get more picks. The only trades he ever seems to make are trading picks away.

The coaches/scouts should evaluate players who fit their system. The Jets should just trust their eyes and set up a board and got with it. Tannenbaum or 'trader Mike' should be setting up deals to get more picks. The only trades he ever seems to make are trading picks away.

Just cracks me up when posters say tanny makes picks, he is doing what is he told to do by either rexey or mangini (when he was here). We must have the only GM in NFL that hasnt got a clue on evaluation end.

Archived