Free-agent safety Brandon Meriweather to visit Jets

F.Chowds

how much of that was due to a short field? heck how many of those points were directly off of pick 6/fumble turnovers? or the 6 special teams turnovers

even with that the 2011 Jets defense was top 5 in yards allowed. Smith was actually a big part of the defense that was #1 in the league in 2009. To say he's worthless and can't play etc. it's just wrong. the dude was hurt last year. Bottom line. He was playing on a shredded knee.

sometimes it seems like people are harder on Smith who was part of a top 5 defense and making peanuts than they are on Sanchez who was part of a bottom 5 passing offense and making insane money.

Everything you say about points off of short field and turnovers could be used to explain away why the jets gave up less yards.

You're right some people are harder on smirh than sanchez, but you are talking to the wrong guy about that one.

how much of that was due to a short field? heck how many of those points were directly off of pick 6/fumble turnovers? or the 6 special teams turnovers

even with that the 2011 Jets defense was top 5 in yards allowed. Smith was actually a big part of the defense that was #1 in the league in 2009. To say he's worthless and can't play etc. it's just wrong. the dude was hurt last year. Bottom line. He was playing on a shredded knee.

sometimes it seems like people are harder on Smith who was part of a top 5 defense and making peanuts than they are on Sanchez who was part of a bottom 5 passing offense and making insane money.

You can keep repeating all you want about Smith playing hurt last year, but that still doesn't explain his 5 years of absolutely awful play before that. The guy is simply not a good player by any logical means of evaluation, no matter how many excuses you try to make for him. And try as you might, the overall rankings of a unit says absolutely nothing about the abilities of one player on that unit (particularly when the player in question is quite clearly that units single worst player). By that kind of asinine logic, Nick Mangold would be deemed one of the worst centers in the league.

Everything you say about points off of short field and turnovers could be used to explain away why the jets gave up less yards.

You're right some people are harder on smirh than sanchez, but you are talking to the wrong guy about that one.

They both completely suck a$$, but the difference is one is unfortunately faaaaaar easier to replace than the other, while the other, like it or not, clearly isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Sanchez sucking at a much more important position doesn't excuse Smith from sucking for twice as long at one of the easiest to fill positions in the league.

PS...3 straight years of a top 5 DVOA ranked defense.

And I'm sure those points had nothing to do with turnovers around the goal line, numerous 3 and outs, botched ST plays, etc etc etc.

You're killing me today. Its fun though. <3

I never argued that the Jets didn't have a good defense or that Rex isn't a good coach. I believe both to be true.

My original point is that Merriweather isn't a good move for this team as he's never demonstrated he's a good player. In response to you, I've asked what career reclaimations Rex has contributed to? You've ducked both of those questions in favor of an argument about the Jets defense as a whole...

As such, I concede. You've dominated an argument I was never making. Big win for you.

They both completely suck a$$, but the difference is one is unfortunately faaaaaar easier to replace than the other, while the other, like it or not, clearly isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Sanchez sucking at a much more important position doesn't excuse Smith from sucking for twice as long at one of the easiest to fill positions in the league.

Agree with all of this. Both should be gone. Looks like neither will.

He has signed with the Redskins according to multiple reports. Bummer....was really hoping he'd be a Jet.

For me this is a combo of good news / bad news for Jets fans. Good news is that it increases the likelihood the Jets will be making a push for one of the better safeties available. The bad news is it also increases the likelihood the Jets will only be bringing one safety in FA, as opposed to two, meaning another year of Eric "Trips" Smith at starter. Ugh.

For me this is a combo of good news / bad news for Jets fans. Good news is that it increases the likelihood the Jets will be making a push for one of the better safeties available. The bad news is it also increases the likelihood the Jets will only be bringing one safety in FA, as opposed to two, meaning another year of Eric "Trips" Smith at starter. Ugh.

Theres always the draft.

Joe McKnight!

The bad news is it also increases the likelihood the Jets will only be bringing one safety in FA, as opposed to two, meaning another year of Eric "Trips" Smith at starter. Ugh.

the Jets were never actually going to replace both starters. Nor will they invest heavily in the S position. They will bring in a decent FA and some late round/UDFA guys. But they aren't going high priced FA or high draft pick at safety. Rex simply doesn't need them or care.

the Jets were never actually going to replace both starters. Nor will they invest heavily in the S position. They will bring in a decent FA and some late round/UDFA guys. But they aren't going high priced FA or high draft pick at safety. Rex simply doesn't need them or care.

You're probably right, and part of me knew that all along, but what can I say, a guy can hope and dream, can't he?

I never argued that the Jets didn't have a good defense or that Rex isn't a good coach. I believe both to be true.

My original point is that Merriweather isn't a good move for this team as he's never demonstrated he's a good player. In response to you, I've asked what career reclaimations Rex has contributed to? You've ducked both of those questions in favor of an argument about the Jets defense as a whole...

As such, I concede. You've dominated an argument I was never making. Big win for you.

I gave you and TomGayne specific examples above. Thank you for conceding. I'm a bad a$$.

Not gonna happen. No way. Least not in the 1st.

Meh, if it didn't happen in the first I would have a total of 0 qualms with it. I just want good players. If this is the offseason of going for guys who quietly get the job done on a consistent basis than Barron fits that perfectly.

Archived