Hunger Games Mafia concept

StraightCash

here is what I came up with. Give me your feedback, if it's too complicated I won't run it. If enough people love the idea I'll post a sign up.

Hunger Games Mafia - Concept

1. X # of Players. Every player is a survivor that wins by being the last player alive.

2. Players are allowed to make their own alliances. Any player can feel free to PM any other player,

and groups of players are allowed to create QT's so that they can speak more efficiently.

- Spirit of the Game issues are involved here. Obviously the Mod will not be able to track all these

communications, so players need to be respectful of the fundamentals of the game. This means not doing things

like secretly sending players a link to another QT so they can spectate. QT's should be protected to only

the people approved by the group. If players feel like their QT is corrupt, or they want to start a double-

secret QT with someone in that group, then just start a new QT.

3. Each night, players have the option of NKing, or obtaining an item.

Night Kills: Every player has a natural 20% success rate to kill. However, this success rate stacks when 1

target is chosen multiple times.

Example: Ape, Hess, and CTM have an alliance and choose to kill Jif. All 3 members PM mod that night

that they want to NK Jif. Jif then has a 60% chance of being killed.

This also stacks with other parties choosing the same person.

Example: Ape, Hess, and CTM have an alliance and choose to kill Jif. Nae and Lily also have an alliance

and each choose to kill Jif. Jif now has a 100% chance of dying.

4. Obtaining an Item:

Instead of using a NK, a player can PM the mod saying they would rather have an item. Item's will be randomly

selected for the player using the following distribution:

25% Chance - Melee Weapon - Player now has a permanent +10% chance success rate in NK's

25% Chance - Body Armor - Player now has a permanent -10% chance success to opponent when being NK'd

25% Chance - First Aid Kit - Player will survive 1 successful NK attempt (blocks bow)

25% chance - Bow and Arrow - Player gets 1 100% success NK attempt

To be used at ANY time, day or night, can be used concurrently with a NK attempt.

5. Losing Items

When a player dies, his/her items will be randomly distributed to all the players that participated in that kill.

A player will collect NO items when killing a player with a Bow and Arrow.

6. Lynches

Lynches will happen each day phase. No lynching is not an option.

7. Tie-Breaker

If 2 players are alive at end game, the winner will be selected by the following:

1st Tie Breaker - Player with the most kills.

NOTE: You can PM me at any time to ask how many kills you have. But quick rule of thumb is...

If you chose to NK, or Bow, somebody, and they died, you have a kill.

2nd Tie Breaker - Most kill attempts

3rd Tie Breaker - Participated in the most lynches.

4th Tie Breaker - Highest Post count.

MODERATOR INVOLVEMENT: I will be tracking vote counts, distributing items, and received all night actions.

I will not be involved in QT's and PM's between teams, so if you have any questions

YOU MUST PM ME.

Dead Thread: Once killed, there is no more participating via PM or QT with live players, you will be given a dead thread

to post in.

Have fun with this. Secret alliances, back stabbing, going rogue, its all part of the game. This is a totally new

type of Mafia set-up so put a mark on it. Just follow the spirit of Mafia, or the game maker (me) will kill you in

a gruesome death.

Brett i think you have some good ideas here but if players form a group in a QT it could get tricky at endgame for those who have worked together throughout the game especially if they all survive. For instance Players A B C form a QT work together and are the final survivors B and C get together in another QT to conspire and kill Player A .... The what happens ? B and C just blast away unti lthey get a kill roll ? I think you need to make sight changes for some possible end game scenarios . So if a group survives or even if 2 members of the 3 survive they can stop the game and claim victory as a team.

Maybe players are only allowed to form or join 1 QT this will have to be on the honor system of course but they would have to know they would get caught if abusing it in game discussion afterwards so it might work ok.

Also ,make it so QT's can only have 3 people max

I missed the tie breaker part Brett but it can still cause issues with 3 man teams to easy for 2 players to kill a third

Brett i think you have some good ideas here but if players form a group in a QT it could get tricky at endgame for those who have worked together throughout the game especially if they all survive. For instance Players A B C form a QT work together and are the final survivors B and C get together in another QT to conspire and kill Player A .... The what happens ? B and C just blast away unti lthey get a kill roll ? I think you need to make sight changes for some possible end game scenarios . So if a group survives or even if 2 members of the 3 survive they can stop the game and claim victory as a team.

Maybe players are only allowed to form or join 1 QT this will have to be on the honor system of course but they would have to know they would get caught if abusing it in game discussion afterwards so it might work ok

Well... Only 1 person can win. In your case, theyd lynch player a and go to tie breakers.

You should make it so the dead thread can reward a living player with an item each night, based on them voting for who is playing the best. Like the sponsors that parachuted stuff into the arena in the book.

Awesome potential for this setup - and I can totally see us using it with other themes if we like how it runs. Well done.

You should make it so the dead thread can reward a living player with an item each night, based on them voting for who is playing the best. Like the sponsors that parachuted stuff into the arena in the book.

Awesome potential for this setup - and I can totally see us using it with other themes if we like how it runs. Well done.

You are in my QT and Im not playing unless you agree. LOL

I didn't read the entire thing so if this is already covered/addressed just let me know and I'll go back and read it but one problem I think this entire concept has is...well it seems like a bit of a popularity contest you know?

kind of like the show survivor

it seems like you could run this game faster and more efficiently by just holding a poll on who should win

I dunno your post was long so maybe there are factors I don't know about/didn't consider but that's the impression I got at first glance

I wanted to work this in somehow, but I don't want the game to get to complicated. So something like....

Starting each night phase, dead players can vote for a player to receive an item... when the day phase starts, the player with the most votes wins. If there is a tie, both win.

Is that weird?

I didn't read the entire thing so if this is already covered/addressed just let me know and I'll go back and read it but one problem I think this entire concept has is...well it seems like a bit of a popularity contest you know?

kind of like the show survivor

it seems like you could run this game faster and more efficiently by just holding a poll on who should win

I dunno your post was long so maybe there are factors I don't know about/didn't consider but that's the impression I got at first glance

True and not true. Eventually, everyone will have to turn on eachother... if you know you are unpopular, then you need to plan an exit strategy ahead of time so you aren't targetted. You mentioned survivor, think Cochran.

Sounds pretty cool, and I actually like the concept a lot, but the only thing I would suggest tweaking a bit would be the tiebreakers. I don't know the source material at all, so maybe that just fits, but you're basically eliminating an element of the game by making them entirely kill-based. In all likelihood, it will end up coming down to tiebreakers and so you're making it that surpassing any kill opportunities would be flat out stupid, which also eliminates a portion of the benefit of having alliances in the first place, as coordinating night actions essentially means nothing beyond getting a bunch of people to agree to shoot at the same person. The math just makes a lot of other possible approaches you could take to this game not make any sense, as there's so much weight put on prior kills in the end-game.

Hmm... Lord of the Flies would be a good theme for mafia adaptation. A more basic format would work just fine, characters all lend themselves to roles, etc.

I wonder who would end up being piggy... lol

So this is basically like Survivor the tv show, but for mafia?

Yes. If everyone is survivor got weapon and armor and killed eachother.

Sounds pretty cool, and I actually like the concept a lot, but the only thing I would suggest tweaking a bit would be the tiebreakers. I don't know the source material at all, so maybe that just fits, but you're basically eliminating an element of the game by making them entirely kill-based. In all likelihood, it will end up coming down to tiebreakers and so you're making it that surpassing any kill opportunities would be flat out stupid, which also eliminates a portion of the benefit of having alliances in the first place, as coordinating night actions essentially means nothing beyond getting a bunch of people to agree to shoot at the same person. The math just makes a lot of other possible approaches you could take to this game not make any sense, as there's so much weight put on prior kills in the end-game.

What would be a better tiebreaker?

What would be a better tiebreaker?

You should connect tie breakers to strengh variables... maybe something to do with parcels of food. Like create scenarios where people can be gifted food items, that would be used as a tie breaker or something. Or instead of always getting killing objects, make some of the objects survival objects.

Or the tie can be broken with a means unrelated to objects altogether... like a puzzle. First of the opponents involved in the tie to respond via PM with an answer to a game related question, wins. Someone did something like this a number of games ago. It was cool. The puzzle/trivia would parallel to how the arena in a lot of ways is a puzzle that if they figure it out, it helps their survival rate.

Dunno if that helps, just spitballing suggestions....

You should connect tie breakers to strengh variables... maybe something to do with parcels of food. Like create scenarios where people can be gifted food items, that would be used as a tie breaker or something. Or instead of always getting killing objects, make some of the objects survival objects.

Or the tie can be broken with a means unrelated to objects altogether... like a puzzle. First of the opponents involved in the tie to respond via PM with an answer to a game related question, wins. Someone did something like this a number of games ago. It was cool. The puzzle/trivia would parallel to how the arena in a lot of ways is a puzzle that if they figure it out, it helps their survival rate.

Dunno if that helps, just spitballing suggestions....

I think the first way starts making the game to complicated. The second way works. I just want to make sure it fair. If Sharrow is one of the last players alive I don't want to be sitting here for 5 days waiting for him to show up so I can post a tiebreaking question.

I liked the killing tiebreaker because it motivates people to do more than just sit around and collect items every night.

Archived