Melvin Ingram

Ryno the Jet

Thanks for the insight about this kid guys. You got me past the arms thing. TO bad he be scooped up by Jax.

Exactly. Ingram will be gone anyway. Upshaw however will almost definitely be there. I hope they trade back...unless DeCastro, Floyd are there. And I've come around on Barron.

we are at that point in the spring where actual football is a dim memory. And everyone's judgement is impaired.

All I can go by is my experience. I saw both Ingram and Upshaw and believe it or not, Upshaw seemed like the better player. the only DL better than both was Coples. Ingram is powerful but Upshaw has better feet. Either would be great at 16. Walking out of Senior Bowl I'd bet money Upshaw was drafted before ingram.

we are at that point in the spring where actual football is a dim memory. And everyone's judgement is impaired.

All I can go by is my experience. I saw both Ingram and Upshaw and believe it or not, Upshaw seemed like the better player. the only DL better than both was Coples. Ingram is powerful but Upshaw has better feet. Either would be great at 16. Walking out of Senior Bowl I'd bet money Upshaw was drafted before ingram.

I thought you called Upshaw the safer pick...more the Bryan Thomas type. What changed?

I thought you called Upshaw the safer pick...more the Bryan Thomas type. What changed?

he is safe. I like both players. my point was Upshaw seemed better than Ingram when they were both playing football on the same field. a couple months worth of workouts now Ingram is apparently a better football player across the board. He's certainly higher rated.

We talk alot about Vernon Gholston on Jets message boards... Upshaw is the anti gholston. Years of steady production, didn't have flashy workouts, just gets it done. Ingram is more like an adalius thomas. which is great. The Jets can use either and I'd be happy with either.

But people are gonna say just cause a certain player didn't run a certain time, hes gonna bust. isn't that what got us Gholston? If we are looking for another workout warrior with 1 good year they should just draft Mercilus. It's a coin flip pick.

he is safe. I like both players. my point was Upshaw seemed better than Ingram when they were both playing football on the same field. a couple months worth of workouts now Ingram is apparently a better football player across the board. He's certainly higher rated.

We talk alot about Vernon Gholston on Jets message boards... Upshaw is the anti gholston. Years of steady production, didn't have flashy workouts, just gets it done. Ingram is more like an adalius thomas. which is great. The Jets can use either and I'd be happy with either.

But people are gonna say just cause a certain player didn't run a certain time, hes gonna bust. isn't that what got us Gholston? If we are looking for another workout warrior with 1 good year they should just draft Mercilus. It's a coin flip pick.

Good post Bit I agree 100%

I make the same mistake every year. After the Senior Bowl I have certain players I like for the Jets. Then the Combine comes, and as much as I say I won't do it, it changes who I like. It's usually a mistake.

After the Senior Bowl, and having seen Upshaw play several times, I was sure he was the player I wanted the Jets to take. Thing was most all the mocks I saw showed the Jets had very little chance of his still being on the board.

Then the combine came, and I'm seeing some mocks that have him falling out of the first round.

The player I've watched during the season, and from what I've read form the Senior Bowl week, this is a good football player. The combine didn't change that.

I still want the Jets to take Upshaw. I'm pretty sure he'll be there

Hubba, Hubba

3. Secret crush. The Jets also have the hots for South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, a versatile pass rusher who can play almost anywhere in the front seven. There are some who can believe he can be a 4-3 MLB. He has serious wheels. Against Georgia, he took a direct snap on a fake punt and ran 68 yards for a TD. Hey, maybe the Jets can let him run the wildcat. (Kidding.) Ingram, projected as a top-10 pick, is someone the Jets might be willing to move up for.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11690/hard-not-to-knock-the-jets?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Lots of rumors that the Jets love Ingram and might be looking to move up for him. Fans generally want a OLB/pass rusher, but also aren't generally fans of giving up picks to move up. How would everyone feel about the Jets moving up for Ingram?

Side note, was watching some Ingram clips again and one of South Carolina's other DE's, true freshman Jadeveon Clowney, is going to be ridiculous by the time he comes out. Was the #1 HS player in the country last year and lived up to the billing with 8 sacks, 12 TFL's, and 5 FF's. He's around 6'6, 255-260 right now. After 2-3 more years in college he should be an absolute monster.

i dont think the jets really need to move up to get Ingram. there's a decent maybe 40% chance he's there. Especially if Tannehill and Floyd go top 15, someone's gonna be there at 16. worst case they stick and take upshaw. Either works.

Lots of rumors that the Jets love Ingram and might be looking to move up for him. Fans generally want a OLB/pass rusher, but also aren't generally fans of giving up picks to move up. How would everyone feel about the Jets moving up for Ingram?

Side note, was watching some Ingram clips again and one of South Carolina's other DE's, true freshman Jadeveon Clowney, is going to be ridiculous by the time he comes out. Was the #1 HS player in the country last year and lived up to the billing with 8 sacks, 12 TFL's, and 5 FF's. He's around 6'6, 255-260 right now. After 2-3 more years in college he should be an absolute monster.

I am ok with moving up for him, provided they don't give up the farm. Everyone knows Tanny will do what it takes to get the guy he wants. It has worked in the past, but there are certainly plenty of arguments against such a philosophy, especially given the amount of team needs this year. Agreed that Clowney will be special.

https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

evansilva

Word at S. Carolina Pro Day last month was #Jaguars don't want M. Ingram, just posturing. #Jets, tho, are smitten w/ Ingram. Might move up.

evansilva

Rex Ryan apparently sees Adalius Thomas-like qualities in Ingram. Ryan coached Thomas in B-More. Versatile pass rusher who can drop & cover.

evansilva

Last note on Melvin Ingram: #Jaguars sent bigwig contingent to SC Pro Day. Local media jumped all over it, just how Jags drew it up.

Right, Jacksonville is notorious for their draft day tomfoolery. Those crazy cats! :rolleyes:

i dont think the jets really need to move up to get Ingram. there's a decent maybe 40% chance he's there. Especially if Tannehill and Floyd go top 15, someone's gonna be there at 16. worst case they stick and take upshaw. Either works.

I am with you here Bit. Upshaw, even Perry IMO, are fine consolation prizes. Upshaw was the front runner until recently, and I have not seen any justification for his slide. Kirwan (CBS) doesn't even have him being drafted in the first two rounds! I am fine with the Jets moving up to get Ingram for a reasonable price, or staying put to grab Upshaw or Perry.

Clowney is a beast. I remember the hysteria around him on signing day. Clemson our the Gamecocks. Kid is nasty.

Another big concern of mine other than Ingram being essentially being a one year wonder who doesnt know how to strip sack, he's only 6'1. I dont think thats ideal height playing OLB.

Lots of concerns with the pass rushers in this draft. Making me really nervous about taking any of them.

You really think they like Upshaw? I think I buy the rumors that they're not huge fans and wouldn't take him at 16. Not sure he's the kind of player they're looking for as an outside linebacker, or that he's actually an upgrade over Bryan Thomas.

I think they would prefer Ingram, but Upshaw has four years of tape that does not lie. He is a consistent player that has tremendous drive. Ingram has a higher ceiling, but Upshaw will certainly have a long career in the NFL unless he gets hurt.

Ingram is the type of player the Jets have been looking for at OLB, his height and arm length not withstanding. The guy is fantastic in pass coverage, can get to the QB in a hurry, and some draft geeks think he can play any front 7 position on D in certain situations. On top of that, he is a humble, high character guy that refuses to fail. I don't worry about him being a one-year starter, as he came out of high school as a QB and had to learn the nuances of defense. He still made plays off the bench in 2010.

You really think they like Upshaw?

honestly, no. I like Upshaw. the Jets apparently don't or they'd have had him in for a visit by now. I could see them having a high grade on Ingram, and then if he's gone, going in a completely different direction. Like OL/DL/CB. cause that's what they value.

Archived