Cimini: The Money Players

flgreen

Revis, Sanchez the 'money' players

June, 20, 2012

Jun 20

9:59

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Forbes magazine released its list of the 100 highest-paid athletes in the world, from June 2011 to June 2012, with three players from the Jets landing on the list.

Darrelle Revis (22nd overall, seventh among NFL players)

• Total earnings: $28.3 million

• Salary/winnings: $27 million

• Endorsements: $1.3 million

Analysis: He received an $18 million option bonus last year as part of the four-year, $46 million contract he signed in 2010. He endorses Nike and Range Rover. In fact, he's the only male athlete in North America used by Range Rover as a pitch man, according to Forbes. Revis wants a new contract so he can make more money and retire a Jet.

Mark Sanchez (38th overall, 12th among NFL players)

• Total earnings: $24.2 million

• Salary/winnings: $23.2 million

• Endorsements: $1 million

Analysis: He signed a five-year, $45 million contract after being drafted in 2009. He was out of guaranteed money heading into 2012, so the Jets gave him a three-year extension (through 2016) with $20.5 million in guarantees.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (63rd overall, 20th among NFL players)

• Total earnings: $20.3 million

• Salary/winnings: $20.1 million

• Endorsements: $200,000

Analysis: In 2010, Ferguson signed an eight-year, $74 million contract. In February, he restructured his 2012 money to provide cap relief, converting $9 million of his $9.985 million salary into signing bonus.

Darrelle Revis (22nd overall, seventh among NFL players)

• Total earnings: $28.3 million

• Salary/winnings: $27 million

• Endorsements: $1.3 million

Analysis: He received an $18 million option bonus last year as part of the four-year, $46 million contract he signed in 2010. He endorses Nike and Range Rover. In fact, he's the only male athlete in North America used by Range Rover as a pitch man, according to Forbes. Revis wants a new contract so he can make more money and retire a Jet.

Poor innocent Darelle Revis, barely scrapping by with the mere pennies those evil Jets are paying him. Can you believe they dare allow a whole 6 other men in the league to be paid more than him? It's blasphemy I tell you. And can you believe the next highest CB is only a mere 63 spots below him on the list? Oh the humanity!!

Poor innocent Darelle Revis, barely scrapping by with the mere pennies those evil Jets are paying him. Can you believe they dare allow a whole 6 other men in the league to be paid more than him? It's blasphemy I tell you. And can you believe the next highest CB is only a mere 63 spots below him on the list? Oh the humanity!!

Didnt Charles Johnson make something like $28 mil last year because of the structure of his contract?

The fact that Mark Sanchez is the 38th highest paid anything makes me want to overdose on Unisom.

+1 we are all begrudging Revis his money but at least he performs at an All-World level. the fact that mark sanchez is on this list is robbery. I love Mark but he should be wearing a mask when he gets his paycheck.

The fact that Mark Sanchez is the 38th highest paid anything makes me want to overdose on Unisom.

In fairness the accounting system that they are using is counting, for certain players, two seasons worth of money. Because the Jets insanely redid his deal Sanchez ended up with 23.225 million over their june to june accounting. Next year he would only make 3.75 million based on their system. Hes overpaid for what he is but its not as bad as this article makes it out to be.

Jeeeeeeesus.

Its wild. Right year to have his monster season but teams should take into account the norms whereas they really just fell in love with the 1 year sack number. In the little thing I did rating effects of sacks and hurries Johnson ranked, adjusted per snap, 14th, 2nd, and 17th among 43 DEs in pressure effectiveness, but I guess they fell in love with the awesome year he had when they gave him the deal. Ill be interested to see how Mario Williams plays out. His last two years in the 43 he was not an elite level player when it came to pressuring the QB but they paid him like the best in the game. They spent alot of money for a pass rush in Buffalo and have to hope the sum of the parts creates something special.

In fairness the accounting system that they are using is counting, for certain players, two seasons worth of money. Because the Jets insanely redid his deal Sanchez ended up with 23.225 million over their june to june accounting. Next year he would only make 3.75 million based on their system. Hes overpaid for what he is but its not as bad as this article makes it out to be.

:puts Unisom back on Walgreen's shelf:

+1 we are all begrudging Revis his money but at least he performs at an All-World level. the fact that mark sanchez is on this list is robbery. I love Mark but he should be wearing a mask when he gets his paycheck.

So does that mean if Revis played QB he would make eleventy billion a game? Sounds like it to me. Jason if you could? LOL

Archived