Chael Sonnen defends his title on 7/7

Lego My Lageman

Desperately want Sonnen to win, but I have a bad feeling.

Don't see Sonnen getting KO'd, he never does get KO'd. I suspect it will be more similar to the first fight than people think. Sonnen probably wont have the same striking success, but he should be able to get a TD or two and take it to him on the ground. Sonnen's best chance is to make it a grappling match, keep it on the ground and try and dominate the fight much like last time, I think he can do that. I just don't think he'll be able to do it for 5 rounds without being caught by Anderson again with a hold. It's always the same problem for Chael, kills him time after time.

Silva in 3 via submission.

Nnnnnope.

Toying with a guy who you clearly have outclassed instead of attempting to finish the fight is lame and certainly not going to win over any fans, but it's far from the worst transgressions I've seen in my years of watching sports. sh*t, it's not even in the top 100.

I suspect that you may get into semantics about how you're defining classless in this context, but even if you want to limit the discussion to MMA, you had Mike Kyle and Gerard Gordeau biting opponents (Gordeau also eye-gouged an opponents eye out in a vale tudo match), Manny Gamburyan with the fake-glove-tap-into-spin-kick move, Gilbert Yvel KO'ing the referee (along with several other incidents), and numerous guys who held onto submissions excessively (Babalu, Palhares, Penn against Pulver, etc).

If you want to extend it to boxing, I think we could find a few more examples, but orobably don't need to look much further than James Butler.

Toying with a guy who you clearly have outclassed instead of attempting to finish the fight is lame and certainly not going to win over any fans, but it's far from the worst transgressions I've seen in my years of watching sports. sh*t, it's not even in the top 100.

I suspect that you may get into semantics about how you're defining classless in this context, but even if you want to limit the discussion to MMA, you had Mike Kyle and Gerard Gordeau biting opponents (Gordeau also eye-gouged an opponents eye out in a vale tudo match), Manny Gamburyan with the fake-glove-tap-into-spin-kick move, Gilbert Yvel KO'ing the referee (along with several other incidents), and numerous guys who held onto submissions excessively (Babalu, Palhares, Penn against Pulver, etc).

If you want to extend it to boxing, I think we could find a few more examples, but orobably don't need to look much further than James Butler.

This is just going to be a fundamental difference of opinion here. I'd rather have someone punch me right in the balls or cheap shot me after a fight than outright attempt to make me look like a pussy in front of millions of people when it's already clear you have my number. It's a level of disrespect that goes way beyond any sort of cheap shot.

Koschek's fake knee to the head was worse.

Silva was a complete disgrace in that fight. Particularly considering it was the main event, first ever UFC event in the middle east, and he makes a complete show of himself, his opponent and the entire company. No wonder Dana left in the 4th round, it was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. To top it all off, he does this in between bowing to his opponents, the fraud. Hope Sonnen destroys him, I really do.

Silva was a complete disgrace in that fight. Particularly considering it was the main event, first ever UFC event in the middle east, and he makes a complete show of himself, his opponent and the entire company. No wonder Dana left in the 4th round, it was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen. To top it all off, he does this in between bowing to his opponents, the fraud. Hope Sonnen destroys him, I really do.

Also in Abu Dabi those front row seats were filled with investors who purchased 10% of Zuffa.

This is just going to be a fundamental difference of opinion here. I'd rather have someone punch me right in the balls or cheap shot me after a fight than outright attempt to make me look like a pussy in front of millions of people when it's already clear you have my number. It's a level of disrespect that goes way beyond any sort of cheap shot.

I'd rather look like a pussy and keep my vision.

Man, thought Sonnen really stood a chance after that 1st round. Didn't understand why he went defensive in that guard, looked like he could have put himself in position to submit Silva once or twice.

Oh well. I know Silva took a sh*t ton of delight throwing that knee.

Another stupid mental mistake cost him. A ****ing spinning backfist? You're a ****ing wrestler and you're trying that against Anderson Silva? Inevitable after that.

In the 1st round you could just tell he was over committed to defending the submission rather than actually inflicting damage, which in a way was smart and could have worked had he not tried to exchange with Anderson in the 2nd.

Archived