Cedric Benson

Ryno the Jet

sign this beast?

Cedric Benson: Packers, Jets, Raiders showed interest

• By Marc Sessler
  • Writer
  • Published: July 17, 2012 at 03:53 p.m.
  • Updated: July 17, 2012 at 04:42 p.m.

Despite three consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons, Cedric Benson remains a man without a team. We've heard for months that the Oakland Raiders are eyeing the former Cincinnati Bengals running back, but the Silver and Black, along with the rest of the NFL, hasn't pulled the trigger.

When Rich Gannon and Adam Schein of "SiriusXM Blitz" spoke with Benson on Tuesday, they encountered a man down on his luck.

@
RichGannon12

Wow, emotional interview with Cedric Benson who wants in the worst way to be with new team in a training camp. This guy is hungry&motivated!

17 Jul 12

@
AdamSchein

Benson just choked up, teared up, and got emotional on air. This is a spot.
#
SIZZLE

17 Jul 12

Benson said he has fielded "check-ins" from the Green Bay Packers and New York Jets, along with the Raiders. He turns 30 this season but said he has no interest in taking the veteran minimum.

Teams have stayed away from Benson and his flurry of previous off-the-field issues, but he delved into a Mike Gundy-like "I'm a man" rant, according to Schein, suggesting he won't become a headache.

It would be intriguing to see Benson added to New York's ground-and-pound attack. The Jets' backfield doesn't scare you behind Shonn Green, and Benson would give them a veteran weapon still capable of cranking out yardage. The Oakland Raiders appears to be the front-runner, but injuries around the NFL could solve Benson's unemployment problem in a flash.

If the Jets are going to bring in a veteran RB, it should be a guy who's a threat to catch the football. Shonn Greene can do whatever Cedric can do, and Ganaway probably can, too. There are UDFAs out there who can get less than four yards a carry for you, and do nothing else.

I didn't initially want Benson because I hate starting caliber running backs who do not average 4 ypc, but seeing how his market has really dried up is intriguing. If we can get him on the cheap, I feel a lot better about our traditional style running game. I don't love either Greene or Benson, but together they combine for one at least half-way decent back. Also, I am terrified of how vulnerable we become with a Greene injury as currently constituted. This lengthens out our RB depth, and keeps question marks on the sideline. This is the biggest, still fixable, concern I have with the roster. I think we can easily find a quality blocking TE on the cheap when camp cuts come.

Archived