Jets are cool on Cooley

August, 29, 2012

AUG 29

2:09

PM ET

By
Rich Cimini
| ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets' injuries at tight end, coupled with the Redskins' release of Chris Cooley, have fueled speculation (mostly among fans) about possible interest in the former Pro Bowler.

Ain't happening. The Jets have no interest in Cooley.

And I can't blame them for feeling that way. Cooley is 30 years old and has missed 20 games over the past three seasons, including 11 last season. He's basically an older version of Dustin Keller, a pass catcher more than a blocker. The Jets need a sturdy blocker at tight end, not another receiving type. They have Keller and Jeff Cumberland, who is returning from a concussion.

True, the Jets haven't replaced the versatile Josh Baker (season-ending knee injury), but I suspect GM Mike Tannenbaum will find a body over the next few days.

I guess they want a more of a blocking TE

I am indifferent concerning this one. I wouldn't be upset if they signed him, but It may be fools gold and jumping at him because of the timing of it all may be a mistake. There's gonna be LOTS of cuts over the next week or so and we've cleared plenty of roster room to play considering they are still holding some guys they could take or leave.

Even if Cooley doesn't fit into our particular scheme, I'll always like him. He has a history of posting silly videos to his personal website, and a few years back, some fans got on him for not keeping his mind on football. He responded by posting a video of himself as he "focused on football" all day. Sarcastic and awesome.

no tthat i wanted cooley but i just ****ing hate tannenbaum as a gm. why do we have a ****ing accountant as our gm? fml

Why?

It was like this even during 2010, when we went 11-5 and beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady back to back in the playoffs before falling to Pittsburgh. I guess the fans will always b**** about every meaningless thing until we win another SB.

Why?

It was like this even during 2010, when we went 11-5 and beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady back to back in the playoffs before falling to Pittsburgh. I guess the fans will always b**** about every meaningless thing until we win another SB.

+1,000..u got it bro...its like one mal-content starts harping on something (fill in name here________) and 50 more jump on the bitch wagon. Nothing has changed since our back to back championship seasons except the whiners.

Archived