Despite 0-4 Preseason Record, Jets’ Rex Brimming With Confidence

THE ILK

rex-ryan-new-york-jets.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

PHILADELPHIA (CBSNewYork/AP) — If Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow don’t get it done in the red zone, the Jets can turn to Greg McElroy.

After all, he was the only quarterback to lead the Jets to a touchdown this preseason.

“That was obviously a point of emphasis for us, was just red-area execution, and we were able to do it for at least that one drive,” McElroy said following a 28-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday night.

The Jets (0-4) were the first team in 35 years to go three preseason games without a touchdown, matching the 1977 Atlanta Falcons for offensive futility.

McElroy ended that drought. His reward will be a seat on the bench.

“I’m glad we got it,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said. “I’m not going to sit here and say I wish we (hadn’t scored). I would’ve liked to have saved it and tack it on next week.”

The Jets open against Buffalo on Sept. 9.

“I’m certainly confident and I believe our team is confident,” Ryan said. “I think this team is a lot better than others. … We get to prove it on the field. I know where my bet will be. “

Sure, the preseason record won’t count against New York. But the team’s August outcome hasn’t done much to ease wary fans.

“I’d much rather be 4-0. I hate to lose at anything,” said Ryan. “But they start counting for real next week and we’ll evaluate the team then.”

Sanchez, Tebow and most of the Jets starters didn’t play in this battle between backups and guys fighting for roster spots.

The Jets hadn’t scored a TD in the 13 quarters before McElroy tossed a 6-yard TD pass to Terrance Ganaway midway through the second. Sanchez and Tebow failed to do that in 35 possessions.

McElroy finished 12 of 17 for 90 yards and one TD. He also rushed for 33 yards.

“Obviously we went out there with the intention and the hope to score some touchdowns, so we were able to get one,” McElroy said. “The execution was great. I told the guys when we were out on the field, I said: ‘Hey, let’s just make the most of this opportunity, you don’t get down here very often, let’s not take it for granted, let’s punch it in.’”

A seventh-round draft pick out of Alabama last year, McElroy spent his rookie season on injured reserve after dislocating his right thumb while playing against Philadelphia last preseason.

Sanchez was 24 of 35 (68.6 percent) for 203 yards with two interceptions and six sacks in August. Tebow completed 36.1 percent (13 for 36) of his passes for 151 yards with two interceptions and seven sacks.

Despite Tebowmania, there’s no controversy in New York. Sanchez is the clear-cut starter, but the way the Jets use Tebow will be intensely scrutinized.

“I believe in this team,” said Ryan, “and I believe in this coaching staff.”

i think I heard some where that during Manning's tenure with the Colts, they were like 2-22 (total guess) or something ridiculous like that in the preseason.

Not to say the offensive woes arent concerning, but it wouldnt shock me if the Jets handled the Bills rather easily.

Ryan let out a Freudian Slip, inadvertently acknowledging he believes our offense is and will be trash. What other coach would "wish" that they could tack on our 1 TD in 4 games to the following week? None, unless said coach feels that getting his offense into the endzone one time is some rare type of accomplishment for his team.

Also, the red-area? Is the red zone that foreign to our offensive players they don't even know what it's called?

Well, at least our defense should kick ass hopefully.

I still think we will be okay during the regular season. Juggernaut? Certainly not. But I think you'll see the offense average 14-17 ppg this season. Which, with our defense should be able to keep us competitive enough to make a playoff run.

I think we'll see a lot of new stuff unveiled in the red zone during the season that we purposely kept under wraps thus far.

i think I heard some where that during Manning's tenure with the Colts, they were like 2-22 (total guess) or something ridiculous like that in the preseason.

Well, it's a pretty bad guess, because 2+22=24, which, when divided by the 4 games they play each year, would mean that Manning played a total of 6 years in Indianapolis.

The other obvious retort to your implication that we should care about the Jets' preseason performance is that Peyton Manning was in no need of reps, nor did he have anything to prove, as he was clearly the best QB on the planet. Our offense and QB situation, on the other hand, are a disaster, which was only reinforced by watching them play August football.

I still think we will be okay during the regular season. Juggernaut? Certainly not. But I think you'll see the offense average 14-17 ppg this season. Which, with our defense should be able to keep us competitive enough to make a playoff run.

I think we'll see a lot of new stuff unveiled in the red zone during the season that we purposely kept under wraps thus far.

14-17pts???? lmfao. That so so sooooo bad.

Out of curiosity, why the decline in 6-9pts. How has the offense got that much worse from last season?

I mean, I know they've looked horrible so far, but its pretty much the same team minus LT and Plax - you think they have that much of an effect on scoring?

Well, it's a pretty bad guess, because 2+22=24, which, when divided by the 4 games they play each year, would mean that Manning played a total of 6 years in Indianapolis.

The other obvious retort to your implication that we should care about the Jets' preseason performance is that Peyton Manning was in no need of reps, nor did he have anything to prove, as he was clearly the best QB on the planet. Our offense and QB situation, on the other hand, are a disaster, which was only reinforced by watching them play August football.

Yeah, but... PEYTON MANNING!

I was referring to the record part which was an awful guess assuming he only played 2 preseason games a year.

The rest is like, duh and stuff.

Fast forward to Sunday

And the Jets go 3 and out after Sanchez gets sacked on 3rd and 8.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is highly likely. Hopefully enough people realize that baby Jesus is even worse that we'll be spared the Tebow chants for a few weeks at least.

The good news is we'll probably win that game 16-9.

Not to say the offensive woes arent concerning, but it wouldnt shock me if the Jets handled the Bills rather easily.

We have no QB who is the equal of Peyton Manning.

The Jets will score very little. Their defense,as good as it is, figures to give up a late score as they get laid out on the field for 35-40 minutes every game by the 3 and out offense.

This team is winning nothing.

I will never root during game for this team to lose. But big picture there are parts of this team, especially on offense, that are simply woeful and need to be torn down. A 3-13 season with high draft picks you get, in the hands of a real GM as opposed to the accountant, would be better than an 8-8.

Not to speak over the top here, but week 1 is imperative to Ryan and Tannenbaum. If the Jets offense comes out and totally sh*ts the bed, its going to be meltdown mode.

I mean in all honesty if the Jets go 3 and out on their first possession and it ends in Greene getting stuffed or Sanchez getting sacked they're going to get booed. They need a fast start to get the fans in the stadium believing.

14-17pts???? lmfao. That so so sooooo bad.

Out of curiosity, why the decline in 6-9pts. How has the offense got that much worse from last season?

I mean, I know they've looked horrible so far, but its pretty much the same team minus LT and Plax - you think they have that much of an effect on scoring?

I actually do. When you think about red zone threats... You think tall, athletic WR's (Plax), and quick scat-backs that can catch out of the backfield. Hill can be the next Plax, but still has a ways to go in terms of positioning and, you know, catching. There doesn't seem to be anyone on our roster thats really a threat to make a play out of the backfield like LT.

Personally, I think we'll be seeing a lot of Tebow in the red zone. He doesn't turn it over, and is always a threat to run.

Really it all depends on Sanchez. If he shows he has taken the next step and can be a good QB. We'll be a really good team. If he is the same or worse, it'll be a struggle to consistently put points on the board.

I will never root during game for this team to lose. But big picture there is one part of this team that is simply woeful and needs to be torn down. A 3-13 season with high draft picks you get, in the hands of a real GM as opposed to the accountant, would be better than an 8-8.

I went ahead and fixed that for you. The skill positions, with the obvious and glaring exception, are adequate. Maybe not great, but good enough to win with what should be a ridiculous defense and very good special teams. Unfortunately we have the dual albatross' of Sanchez and Tebow to ruin everything.

We have no QB who is the equal of Peyton Manning.

The Jets will score very little. Their defense,as good as it is, figures to give up a late score as they get laid out on the field for 35-40 minutes every game by the 3 and out offense.

This team is winning nothing.

I will never root during game for this team to lose. But big picture there are parts of this team, especially on offense, that are simply woeful and need to be torn down. A 3-13 season with high draft picks you get, in the hands of a real GM as opposed to the accountant, would be better than an 8-8.

Enough already - I wasnt comparing our QB's to Manning. lmfao. Just simply stating preseason record means very little. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have to wait a long time for each season to start, I rather be rooting for the team to make the playoffs during the month of Nov going into Dec, even if they fall short.

By design this offense will at best be barely competent. And that's a problem. The Jets will not be capable of outscoring anyone. ANd if they fall behind a good team we will see some really awful 2nd halves. It's a recipe for a defense and offense not getting along. I still think Rex Ryan can be a good NFL coach, but the parallels to his father's career are beyond uncanny. It's is if he learned nothing from his father's indifference to offense while concentrating on his defense.

Fast forward to Sunday, first posession

And the Jets go 3 and out after Sanchez gets sacked on 3rd and 8.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Agree with this. Against a team like the Bills, I think its imperative to let Sanchez take some shots down the field on first and second down. By down the field, I don't necessarily mean 30 yards, but somewhere in the 10-15 yard range. He is not going to have to deal with exotic blitzes on 1st down, and by opening up passing, it may get the defense on its heals enough to get the running game going.

IMHO, against pass rushers like the Bills, priority #1 has to be staying out of 3rd an 7+. If we can do that, we could be in good shape. If not, things could get ugly.

I went ahead and fixed that for you. The skill positions, with the obvious and glaring exception, are adequate. Maybe not great, but good enough to win with what should be a ridiculous defense and very good special teams. Unfortunately we have the dual albatross' of Sanchez and Tebow to ruin everything.

With these QBs, the WRs are utterly pointless. Whether they're all world or terrible makes no difference when you don't throw deep at all.

TJ Conley is as sh*tty a punter as the Jets have had in memory.

By design this offense will a best be barely competent. And that's a problem. The Jets will not be capable of outscoring anyone. ANd if they fall behind a good team we will see some really awful 2nd halves. It's a recipe for a defense and offense not getting along. I still think Rex Ryan can be a good NFL coach, but the parallels to his father's career are beyond uncanny. It's is if he learned nothing from his father's indifference to offense while concentrating on his defense.

I don't think (hope?) he's indifferent. He either just has incredibly misplaced faith in Sanchez or knows that he's saddled with him for the next year or two and can't do anything about it. The extension was beyond moronic.

I actually do. When you think about red zone threats... You think tall, athletic WR's (Plax), and quick scat-backs that can catch out of the backfield. Hill can be the next Plax, but still has a ways to go in terms of positioning and, you know, catching. There doesn't seem to be anyone on our roster thats really a threat to make a play out of the backfield like LT.

Personally, I think we'll be seeing a lot of Tebow in the red zone. He doesn't turn it over, and is always a threat to run.

Really it all depends on Sanchez. If he shows he has taken the next step and can be a good QB. We'll be a really good team. If he is the same or worse, it'll be a struggle to consistently put points on the board.

LT's 3 TD's can easily be replaced by Tebow alone IMO...maybe McKnight, Connor or Powell too if necessary. I do wonder where Plax's 8 TD's will come from.

I dont see us scoring 14pts a game. Probably something closer to like 20, which still sucks really really bad.

LT's 3 TD's can easily be replaced by Tebow alone IMO...maybe McKnight, Connor or Powell too if necessary. I do wonder where Plax's 8 TD's will come from.

I dont see us scoring 14pts a game. Probably something closer to like 20, which still sucks really really bad.

17, 20... Same difference. LOL.

The point is our offense will be competent enough, given our dominant defense, to keep us in the playoff hunt.

By design this offense will at best be barely competent. And that's a problem. The Jets will not be capable of outscoring anyone. ANd if they fall behind a good team we will see some really awful 2nd halves. It's a recipe for a defense and offense not getting along. I still think Rex Ryan can be a good NFL coach, but the parallels to his father's career are beyond uncanny. It's is if he learned nothing from his father's indifference to offense while concentrating on his defense.

By design? Tony S. sat down with the intent to design a barely competent offense? lol

17, 20... Same difference. LOL.

The point is our offense will be competent enough, given our dominant defense, to keep us in the playoff hunt.

You said 14-17. 14-20 is a big difference. 14 is like, worst offense in the league. 20 is almost middle of the pack

And I agree. We'll be watching meaningful Football come Thanksgiving.

With these QBs, the WRs are utterly pointless. Whether they're all world or terrible makes no difference when you don't throw deep at all.

TJ Conley is as sh*tty a punter as the Jets have had in memory.

You clearly haven't been a Jets fan for very long.

And no, I'm not trying to say that Conley is even slightly good.

See, I've never thought that preseason play is all that meaningless. Wins and losses obviously are, because the team isn't game-planning specifically and top lines do not play all game. But, I think plays and execution do tell us something. Thus far, that our defense, especially our newly revamped defensive line and secondary will be strengths probably not just for the Jets, but in relation to the league and that our offense is probably still going to struggle... Maybe not as bad, but is anyone expecting us to be in the top third even in the league in offense this year? I certainly don't. Perhaps none of these are 'bold conclusions', but they are in line with the idea that execution and game play within the preseason is somewhat relevant.

Plax. Useless from the 1 to the opposing 20, but in the redzone, was a huge help. Don't know if Hill is experienced enough yet to do the "go up and get it" that Plax did all season.

Bad as Plax may have been at times, he was huge for us last year as well.

I think you're right. But honestly, I know this is my rhetoric and all, I don't think it's Rex's ultimate wish that the team is the way it is right now. I don't think they moved up to draft Sanchez hoping he'd one day get to Joe Flacco level. They swung, and thus far missed. Had Sanchez been what you'd hoped from a top 5 QB, we're close to an elite team right now. We missed on QB, so we're stuck with what we've got.

Only 5 teams averaged 17 points or less last season and their combined record was 20-60.

Averaging between 14-17 ppg would guarantee an abysmal season, unless the hope is for a high draft pick.

The real key to the offense isn't how many they score it's how many they give up.

I figure they'll be right around 20pts/game but if Sanchez is throwing a pick 6 per game, or coughing the ball up on a sack, the 20 is really only worth 13. That is the ultimate killer and there is really no way for this team to overcome that one.

Plax. Useless from the 1 to the opposing 20, but in the redzone, was a huge help. Don't know if Hill is experienced enough yet to do the "go up and get it" that Plax did all season.

Bad as Plax may have been at times, he was huge for us last year as well.

I dont know how much experience you need in regards to "going up and getting it". Hill, Schilens and Turner are all 6'4+ and feel like the skill set is more about your size/athleticism. Could be wrong.

I'm not saying we have a replacement but just curious if everyone feels Plax was that important.

I dont know how much experience you need in regards to "going up and getting it". Hill, Schilens and Turner are all 6'4+ and feel like the skill set is more about your size/athleticism. Could be wrong.

I'm not saying we have a replacement but just curious if everyone feels Plax was that important.

I think he was. Braylon was a good player for us. But, he didn't do what Plax did in the redzone, despite similar size and better athleticism.

I think he was. Braylon was a good player for us. But, he didn't do what Plax did in the redzone, despite similar size and better athleticism.

Meh, he only had 1 more TD than Braylon's last season. How many of those came from the Red Zone or not, I dont know...but they did the same thing more or less.

I agree Plax helped in the Red Zone. No doubt. So did Tom Moore, REMEMBER!!!

lol

Ryan let out a Freudian Slip, inadvertently acknowledging he believes our offense is and will be trash. What other coach would "wish" that they could tack on our 1 TD in 4 games to the following week? None, unless said coach feels that getting his offense into the endzone one time is some rare type of accomplishment for his team.

Also, the red-area? Is the red zone that foreign to our offensive players they don't even know what it's called?

Well, at least our defense should kick ass hopefully.

Rex Brimming With Confidence, but not guaranteeing a Super bowl?*

*Does not compute.

Archived