How can Holmes be a considered a starting WR ?

JetsFanInDenver

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we have a JIFtonio sighting.

Sorry that cant you dispute what I'm saying is 100% accurate. And this isnt even defending Holmes. Its defending the situation we are in. Holmes was the only person even close to getting open. Bottom line.

Give me a break...the ****er has got to make the plays period.

Oh my bad, didnt realize Holmes is the only player expected to make plays on offense.

They don't give points for separation. He dropped passes, sulked like a whiny bitch all over Heinz field, and acted like a punk post game.

You and him are similar.. you'll come in here bragging about how you hit 4, three-pointers in your glorified pickup games but won't tell us you shot 4-20 overall.

Please, I've never shot that bad in my life.

Sorry that cant you dispute what I'm saying is 100% accurate. And this isnt even defending Holmes. Its defending the situation we are in. Holmes was the only person even close to getting open. Bottom line.

Oh my bad, didnt realize Holmes is the only player expected to make plays on offense.

Please, I've never shot that bad in my life.

Come on man, how many were thrown to him? and how many did he drop? if he is going to act and talk like he is great, then you have got to play great.

... but he is right. It's Holmes job to catch the ball, but Sanchez is the one throwing it to him. He certainly seemed to target Holmes too often yesterday. Either your boy is making the wrong read or the rookie was being abused by the PItt secondary. EIther option is not attractive for the Jets.

Targeted 11 times 2 bad throws and 3 receptions how many drops ? 3 or 4 ? Then the one play Ike actully grabbed him. 3 to 4 drops in a big game is inexceusable and when is this guy going to make a catch in tight coverage ? If this guy makes 50 million dollars and talks all kinds of sh*t he better start coming down with the football when its catchable and act like a number 1 WR not just talk like one.

Come on man, how many were thrown to him? and how many did he drop? if he is going to act and talk like he is great, then you have got to play great.

Come on man, how many were near impossible catches? How many were clear mis-communications between him and Mark? How many were with defenders draped all over him?

Again, Holmes was the only person near getting open....just barely getting separation, but the ball kept going his way. Bad day on offense. For everyone. Holmes is getting the blame because the ball was forced to him all day, open or not.

JIF first of all the JIFtonio comment was me playin around, you know that. I never disagreed that he was the only WR getting open Im just bashing the guy for obvious reasons.

If Tone is the only guy getting open all Im saying is catch the freakin football and we extend a few drives and no telling what happens then maybe they role more coverage his way opening things up a bit who knows.

No Matter how you slice it the guy is not worth what we paid him and hes a drop machine. Braylon Edwards cured his dropsies his second year with us only dropping 1 pass all year and coming up huge in the playoffs . Holmes has been a total and complete disaster since signing that contract.

maybe i wasnt watching the game closely enough because i didnt have my glasses on but it seemed to me a lot of those dropped ball (from all recievers) came from slightly tipped balls and poor timing.

Besides after sanchez missed holmes on what woulda been an easy touchdown he kinda just stopped playing

You were watching the game plenty close...because thats exactly what happened. Timing, communication, ball placement, catching...all the above sucked yesterday from every single player who took the field on offense.

Not sure that I'd say Holmes checked out after that...he seemed to be giving it his all even if he was coming up short.

JIF first of all the JIFtonio comment was me playin around, you know that. I never disagreed that he was the only WR getting open Im just bashing the guy for obvious reasons.

If Tone is the only guy getting open all Im saying is catch the freakin football and we extend a few drives and no telling what happens then maybe they role more coverage his way opening things up a bit who knows.

No Matter how you slice it the guy is not worth what we paid him and hes a drop machine. Braylon Edwards cured his dropsies his second year with us only dropping 1 pass all year and coming up huge in the playoffs . Holmes has been a total and complete disaster since signing that contract.

I dont give a **** about his contract. The market is the market and he was the consensus #1 WR in FA coming off a great year with the Jets and what looked like was going to be a great tandem the way Mark targeted him once he got off suspension.

I dont blame the Jets at all for resigning Holmes. The bottom line is, the Jets offense is better with him than they'd be without him.

Targeted 11 times 2 bad throws and 3 receptions how many drops ? 3 or 4 ? Then the one play Ike actully grabbed him. 3 to 4 drops in a big game is inexceusable and when is this guy going to make a catch in tight coverage ? If this guy makes 50 million dollars and talks all kinds of sh*t he better start coming down with the football when its catchable and act like a number 1 WR not just talk like one.

Complaining about the production Holmes provides in 11 targets is on Holmes. Complaining about targeting Holmes 11 times? That's Sanchez or everybody else. Holmes was not wide open on most of those plays and I question the number of actual drops. Just because a guy can theoretically make the catch and doesn't, it isn't necessarily a drop. Like the near TD last week people were going on and on about. If Sanchez is picking the wrong guy to throw to, that's a problem. If Hill is never the right guy to throw to when Ike Taylor is chasing Holmes around, that's a problem. In the long run, both are probably bigger problems than the amount of production we got from Holmes yesterday.

We all remember the Steelers getting gashed through the air by Tebow last year, but I think they had the top pass D in the league. At least the AFC, maybe they were behind SF? They also don't get many INTs. Maybe this game was just par for the course.

Complaining about the production Holmes provides in 11 targets is on Holmes. Complaining about targeting Holmes 11 times? That's Sanchez or everybody else. Holmes was not wide open on most of those plays and I question the number of actual drops. Just because a guy can theoretically make the catch and doesn't, it isn't necessarily a drop. Like the near TD last week people were going on and on about. If Sanchez is picking the wrong guy to throw to, that's a problem. If Hill is never the right guy to throw to when Ike Taylor is chasing Holmes around, that's a problem. In the long run, both are probably bigger problems than the amount of production we got from Holmes yesterday.

We all remember the Steelers getting gashed through the air by Tebow last year, but I think they had the top pass D in the league. At least the AFC, maybe they were behind SF? They also don't get many INTs. Maybe this game was just par for the course.

Dom not for nothing but I did not complain about him getting targeted 11 times. I complained about the production within those 11 targets. To some extent I agree there had to be other issues involved here . That being said when you watch guys like Steve Smith fight for the ball like a maniac no matter where its thrown then you watch Santonio Holmes you get a really good idea on what a WR should and should not do. if this guy does not get the ball thrown directly into his arms hes not fighting for it, period. Sure he will grab the nice endzone or sideine pass now and then but when leaning toward the middle of the field he routinely gets out positioned by defensive backs and plays very lazy IMO. He is not a number 1 WR in this league and he never will be a go to receiver so in that respect I agree with you 100 % targeting him as much as the Jets did was a mistake. I would like to see us throw the ball up to Stephen Hill covered or not and give him the chance to fight for the football just like other teams do with their big WR's. Eli does it with Nicks and Stafford does it with Johnson. You never see the Jets do this because they play too freakin conservative. Even yesterday you saw Big Ben throw up a prayer to Wallace while Cromartie had his head implanted up his own ass and never even turned for the football and over ran and endzone play by about 5 yards. Riskky throw big time result

Dom not for nothing but I did not complain about him getting targeted 11 times. I complained about the production within those 11 targets. To some extent I agree there had to be other issues involved here . That being said when you watch guys like Steve Smith fight for the ball like a maniac no matter where its thrown then you watch Santonio Holmes you get a really good idea on what a WR should and should not do. if this guy does not get the ball thrown directly into his arms hes not fighting for it, period. Sure he will grab the nice endzone or sideine pass now and then but when leaning toward the middle of the field he routinely gets out positioned by defensive backs and plays very lazy IMO. He is not a number 1 WR in this league and he never will be a go to receiver so in that respect I agree with you 100 % targeting him as much as the Jets did was a mistake. I would like to see us throw the ball up to Stephen Hill covered or not and give him the chance to fight for the football just like other teams do with their big WR's. Eli does it with Nicks and Stafford does it with Johnson. You never see the Jets do this because they play too freakin conservative. Even yesterday you saw Big Ben throw up a prayer to Wallace while Cromartie had his head implanted up his own ass and never even turned for the football and over ran and endzone play by about 5 yards. Riskky throw big time result

Eh. Then we aren't arguing, but even if the guy is "a true #1" I don't think he should get 1/2 the teams targets. Hill probably isn't ready, which is my point. That's a problem. We can expect inconsistency from the kid. Personally, I'm just as happy that Holmes isn't talking to him. I'd rather let somebody else be in his ear.

FWIW, Cromartie turned in plenty of time on that TD. He just couldn't locate the ball. If he didn't turn he wouldn't have run past the WR, but he was turned inside and apparently couldn't find it.

Lmfao. Literally the one player on the team that got a shred of separation yesterday. If Sanchez didnt miss him wide open in the endzone, the results of the game may have been much different too.

And 75% of the throws his way he was blanketed and would have had to make quite a catch. Obviously thats on him too but the overreaction on these boards are ridiculous. There was clearly some communication and timing issues yesterday.

Why was Holmes target 11 times? Because he's the best option on the team right now with Keller hurt and Hill being a rookie.

You are an absolute buffoon.

Holmes is a good WR, but his issue has been and always will be that he's remarkably inconsistent. He was far from the Jets only problem yesterday, but there's no doubt that after the first quarter, he played like crap.

A good WR can be inconsistent ? Or is it that if you are inconsistent you should not be considered good ?

Dead on about Steve Smith.

When his head is right and he has a QB that can get him the ball he will fight and battle for that ball like no other. Holmes is no where near the reciever Steve Smith is and for the kind of money the Jets are paying Holmes he should be catching more than 50% of the balls that are thrown his way. Holmes could have had himself a real nice day if he didn't drop so many balls.

The Jets took that one shot to Hill towards the end zone and he didn't catch it. I hope in time that he is able to make that kind of play.

anyone whos not a pussy ?

Hill

Kerley

Schilens

I cant claim to know the reason the Jets did not get the ball to those other guys other than a big play to Kerley

It definitely will not be Holmes based on yesterday's play!

Its a shame these guys didnt show up to play yesterday since they are so much better than Holmes.

Its a shame these guys didnt show up to play yesterday since they are so much better than Holmes.

JIF I am well aware Holmes has some talent but that talent only shows itself when hes not the focus of the defense or hes running non contested wide open with the ball thrown in his chest. Hes simply not good enough to handle defenses keying on him like some of the other number 1 WR's in this league are. Hes not physical enough and he totally refuses to fight for the football. Hes a pussy and thats it.

I named 20 WR's last year who I thought were better than Holmes and you laughed at me with your famous LMFAO comment and claimed Santonio was somewhere in the top ten in the NFL which I found hilarious then and still find it hilarious now that your still sticking up for this POS. Not only has he become a bad player but his attitude is off the charts stupid as well.

You can not rely on flashes of great play to evaluate talent its all about consistency. Just ask guys like Megatron who are constantly double teamed yeat still put up 1500 + yards same with Smith and Fitz you know real #1's. Those QB's are not scared to throw up a jump ball because they know that their WR's will fight for the Football wonder how Sanchez feels about thowing a ball and hoping Holmes will fight for it, you know like Braylon used to do.

Archived