Revis on ??

Section 333

Most of the "experts" are calling for Revis to be on Hartline. I know he was the most targeted by Tannehill last week. But I am comfortable with Cro on either Hartline or Bess. The concern I have is the dolphins using the speed of Bush and Bess with screens and dumps that will create space. I started thinking of how to limit the pain of having a slow D.

I would think the Jets would better off giving Revis the Nnamdi treatment and keeping him on 1 side. I feel during nickel packages when Wilson is on the field, we would funnel WR's to the strong side. I think with Revis locking down a side, rather than a player it will give Rex more options and more interesting looks to throw at a rookie QB and It will in essence cut the field in half.

I know at times in the past this isn't something that has been foreign. I can remember several games where Revis was not just locked on the #1. In particular against Miami Last year. Although I can remember screaming at my tv when Revis wasn't locked on Marshall.

The fact that Miami doesnt have a legit #1 should be a major advantage. Anyone else have a better plan to maximize Revis knowing that Miami does not have a stud WR?

I would think the Jets would better off giving Revis the Nnamdi treatment and keeping him on 1 side. I feel during nickel packages when Wilson is on the field, we would funnel WR's to the strong side. I think with Revis locking down a side, rather than a player it will give Rex more options and more interesting looks to throw at a rookie QB and It will in essence cut the field in half.

Miami doesn't have anyone worth putting Revis on all day, but they won't leave Revis on one side of the field either. Better to move him around than have the QB know where he's going to be on any given down. I figure he'll largely be on Hartline, but you could see him on either side or even in the slot during the course of the game.

F***ing this. Put Landry in the box and get McIntyre & Maybin (our fastest LB's) on the field as much as possible to contain Bush. Dare Tannehill to beat us through the air.

I have a couple of problems with this philosophy. First of all, I don't think McIntyre is one of our fastest LBs. He's probably faster than the dinosaurs, but he is also more DE than LB. Probably the wrong guy for this. Second Maybin would probably be terrible for stopping Bush. One of the big keys to stopping speed is keeping it contained. Maybin is incapable of standing up a tackle and forcing the play back inside. Maybin is fast, but not Reggie Bush fast. He's not going to just run the guy down in open space. The key is minimizing the amount of field Bush has to work with and then squashing him.

Most of the "experts" are calling for Revis to be on Hartline. I know he was the most targeted by Tannehill last week. But I am comfortable with Cro on either Hartline or Bess. The concern I have is the dolphins using the speed of Bush and Bess with screens and dumps that will create space. I started thinking of how to limit the pain of having a slow D.

I know at times in the past this isn't something that has been foreign. I can remember several games where Revis was not just locked on the #1. In particular against Miami Last year. Although I can remember screaming at my tv when Revis wasn't locked on Marshall.

The fact that Miami doesnt have a legit #1 should be a major advantage. Anyone else have a better plan to maximize Revis knowing that Miami does not have a stud WR?

Miami doesn't have anyone worth putting Revis on all day, but they won't leave Revis on one side of the field either. Better to move him around than have the QB know where he's going to be on any given down. I figure he'll largely be on Hartline, but you could see him on either side or even in the slot during the course of the game.

I'm with Slats on Revis. How does it make things more difficult to scheme against by having him sit on one side? They have a million options. They should use many of them in order to confuse a kid who is going to probably spend 15 seconds pointing and screaming "Mike! Mike" to set the blocking assignments. Switch it up and get some picks. I will say this much, I do not like Cromartie on Bess. The Dolphins WRs aren't scary and Cro is a better CB than any of them are WR, but I much prefer Cro on taller guys than little quick punt returner guys. For instance against the Pats I liked him better on Moss or Marshall than Welker or Bess. Cro can run and jump with anyone, but I question his technique and quickness comparable to some of these guys. Could be completely wrong, but that's how I feel.

I'm with Slats on Revis. How does it make things more difficult to scheme against by having him sit on one side? They have a million options. They should use many of them in order to confuse a kid who is going to probably spend 15 seconds pointing and screaming "Mike! Mike" to set the blocking assignments. Switch it up and get some picks. I will say this much, I do not like Cromartie on Bess. The Dolphins WRs aren't scary and Cro is a better CB than any of them are WR, but I much prefer Cro on taller guys than little quick punt returner guys. For instance against the Pats I liked him better on Moss or Marshall than Welker or Bess. Cro can run and jump with anyone, but I question his technique and quickness comparable to some of these guys. Could be completely wrong, but that's how I feel.

I agree. Put Cro mostly on Hartline and Revis mostly on Bess. When we want to switch things up Wilson can probably handle Bess. Bring at least one safety in (Landry) to help stop Bush. Meanwhile, I expect the offense to have a pretty good day.

I have a couple of problems with this philosophy. First of all, I don't think McIntyre is one of our fastest LBs. He's probably faster than the dinosaurs, but he is also more DE than LB. Probably the wrong guy for this. Second Maybin would probably be terrible for stopping Bush. One of the big keys to stopping speed is keeping it contained. Maybin is incapable of standing up a tackle and forcing the play back inside. Maybin is fast, but not Reggie Bush fast. He's not going to just run the guy down in open space. The key is minimizing the amount of field Bush has to work with and then squashing him.

In comparison to our big, slow LBs... McIntyre looks fast to me. Any little bit helps. Its not like Bart is a sure tackler anymore. He just plugs the A gap if one of our monster sized lineman can't. Having one side of the edge collapse if Maybin can get a good rush will make a world of difference in slowing down Bush, or forcing him inside. And running inside, I don't think he will be that successful against us. Its that edge speed that worries me. And lets not talk about Spiller.

In comparison to our big, slow LBs... McIntyre looks fast to me. Any little bit helps. Its not like Bart is a sure tackler anymore. He just plugs the A gap if one of our monster sized lineman can't. Having one side of the edge collapse if Maybin can get a good rush will make a world of difference in slowing down Bush, or forcing him inside. And running inside, I don't think he will be that successful against us. Its that edge speed that worries me. And lets not talk about Spiller.

I think we agree in philosphy, but disagree on personnel. I don't think Maybin can set the edge. I think he will rush too far upfield and leave Bush a huge alley to run behind. Then we will be hoping that Harris or Scott can beat Bush to the spot. I don't like the odds. Better to have Pace there to set the edge and force Bush inside.

EDIT to add that I don't have any problem with McIntyre being out there.

The fins know that Bush is the target, they will steal a line from Coughlin and use the middle and short dumps..(go to the air hoping)

Use Jetsfan80's approach : "F***ing this. Put Landry in the box and get McIntyre & Maybin (our fastest LB's) on the field as much as possible to contain Bush. Dare Tannehill to beat us through the air."

Tannehill has issues with throwing the ball over the linemen anyway...

I think we agree in philosphy, but disagree on personnel. I don't think Maybin can set the edge. I think he will rush too far upfield and leave Bush a huge alley to run behind. Then we will be hoping that Harris or Scott can beat Bush to the spot. I don't like the odds. Better to have Pace there to set the edge and force Bush inside.

EDIT to add that I don't have any problem with McIntyre being out there.

Actually, lol.. I think we agree fully. I wasn't the one who mentioned Maybin. Maybin has been a disappointment and I agree that he is just going to run in 100 mph and run past all the action leaving space for Bush to lol his way to huge gains. I was just playing devil's advocate to the other person's post. Basically, speed please.

I laughed when you said 'hoping that Harris or Scott can beat Bush to the spot'. I have a better chance of returning punts for the Jets than that happening.

Archived