Rex Ryan says Tim Tebow is not frustrated by lack of snaps

Ryno the Jet

October 4, 2012 1:05 PM

BY Seth Walder

Four games into the Jets’ season and the wildcat has been fruitless and barely utilized. Perhaps the latter has to do with the former, but rumors have begun to swirl that Tim Tebow has become disgruntled with his lack of involvement in the offense. ESPN’s Ed Werder recently suggested that Tebow feels the team has not fulfilled its promises regarding his role.

On Thursday, coach Rex Ryan dismissed the notion that Tebow is frustrated.

“I don’t know specifically about that,” the coach said. “I know how competitive he is. (But) specifically, him being frustrated by his role and everything else, I don’t see that.”

Ryan was more vague about anything that was or was not said when the famous QB was traded to the Jets.

“When you trade for a guy, you do talk to the player or whatever,” he said. “Specifically when that happens, you’re trying to get a guy on your football team and things like that. Sometimes, the trade, the player doesn’t have anything to do with it.”

Tebow’s reported unhappiness with his snap count comes at the same time that calls for him to take over the starting job are picking up steam, following the Jets brutal 34-0 loss to the 49ers last week.

While Sanchez is the starting QB for now, Ryan said he’s a firm believer in Tebow’s ability as an NFL quarterback.

“No question I believe he’s a good quarterback. You can’t bluff your way in this league and have the success he had,” said Ryan. “I judge quarterbacks on records.”

October 4, 2012 1:05 PM

BY Seth Walder

Four games into the Jets’ season and the wildcat has been fruitless and barely utilized. Perhaps the latter has to do with the former, but rumors have begun to swirl that Tim Tebow has become disgruntled with his lack of involvement in the offense. ESPN’s Ed Werder recently suggested that Tebow feels the team has not fulfilled its promises regarding his role.

On Thursday, coach Rex Ryan dismissed the notion that Tebow is frustrated.

“I don’t know specifically about that,” the coach said. “I know how competitive he is. (But) specifically, him being frustrated by his role and everything else, I don’t see that.”

Ryan was more vague about anything that was or was not said when the famous QB was traded to the Jets.

“When you trade for a guy, you do talk to the player or whatever,” he said. “Specifically when that happens, you’re trying to get a guy on your football team and things like that. Sometimes, the trade, the player doesn’t have anything to do with it.”

Tebow’s reported unhappiness with his snap count comes at the same time that calls for him to take over the starting job are picking up steam, following the Jets brutal 34-0 loss to the 49ers last week.

While Sanchez is the starting QB for now, Ryan said he’s a firm believer in Tebow’s ability as an NFL quarterback.

“No question I believe he’s a good quarterback. You can’t bluff your way in this league and have the success he had,” said Ryan. “I judge quarterbacks on records.”

We're so ****ed.

Constant theme for Rex.

He evaluates players on what they've done in the past. Not on the promise of what they could do in the future.

My buddy is the same way with his fantasy fooball team. His team will also win 4 games this year. You'd expect that from a lawyer. Not from an NFL coach.

Most scrutinized 2-2 team in the history of the sport.

It really is ridiculous.. people are patting themselves on the back for things that haven't even happened yet.

I don't really expect them to win Monday. This year was always about the 2nd half. Hopefully by then a healthy Keller and Hill will start to make things more efficient. SG 2.8 has to be on the shortest leash possible. I can't believe this is how he's performing in a contract year. Must not like money.

It really is ridiculous.. people are patting themselves on the back for things that haven't even happened yet.

I don't really expect them to win Monday. This year was always about the 2nd half. Hopefully by then a healthy Keller and Hill will start to make things more efficient. SG 2.8 has to be on the shortest leash possible. I can't believe this is how he's performing in a contract year. Must not like money.

9 foot long to be exact

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Tim Tebow on rumblings he's frustrated with his limited role in Jets offense so far: "I haven’t talked to anybody or said anything" #nyj

Tebow of if Jets told him he'd have bigger role than he's had to this point: "I don’t know. They didn’t tell me specifically anything" #nyj

Kristian Dyer@KristianRDyer

Tebow on the "QB Battle": "That’s my dream as a boy to play quarterback, it’s not to worry about scenarios like that." #NYJ

Rich Cimini@RichCimini

Sanchez: "I don't feel threatened." #Tebow #Jets

More Tebow on "frustrations": You get frustrated when you lose football games." #NYJ

Tebow on report of being frustrated: "I honestly haven’t watched too much of it but no I haven’t talked to anybody or said anything." #Tebow

Mark Sanchez on Tim Tebow: I'm not threatened

In the wake of last Sunday’s humbling 34-0 beating at the hands of San Francisco, with the his own fans calling for his job and chanting for his backup, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was asked about having to face a threat to his job for the first time. Sanchez answer? There is no threat.

“I don’t feel threatened to lose my job at all, anyway,’’ said Sanchez. “It’s no different whether it’s Tim or Brunell or Kellen; it doesn’t change. I’m really not worried.’’

Venerable Mark Brunell and Kellen Clemens were hardly threats to Sanchez, but Tim Tebow’s every move makes headlines in New York, as does Sanchez’ horrid 49.2-percent completion percentage and 69.6 rating.

Still, Sanchez – who is guaranteed $20 million over this season and the next – has the backing of coach Rex Ryan and support of his teammates. And the struggling quarterback said he’s earned that much.

“It’s great (having their support). I don’t mean to be rude to anybody, but I expected that, (with) all the work and effort I put in,’’ said Sanchez. “They know how bad I want it, and when it doesn’t go right on the first one, I’m the first one to step up and say that wasn’t my best, and it wasn’t right; but I’ll get it right though. They understand that.’’

After putting up 48 points on Buffalo in the season-opener, the Jets have mustered just 33 points combined against Pittsburgh, Miami and San Francisco. And after losing Santonio Holmes, their only established receiver, for the season due to injury, Sanchez knows quarterbacks are judged during adversity.

“It’s easy to be the quarterback when you score 48 points, or whatever we scored in our first game. That’s easy; if you can’t be the quarterback then, just run away now,’’ said Sanchez. “But this is the time, 2-2 and people think you’re about to turn the corner for the worst, and make it better. Keep working, improve.

“It’s just another opportunity. Nobody expects it to work, nobody expects it to go right, nobody expects us to win. That’s fine: I’ve been in situations like that before. I’m confident I can handle it, and there’s only new way in my mind to go about it, and that’s attack it, get after it, give it 100 percent and never want to look back and say I wish I would’ve done that.’’’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...O#ixzz28N1U10K9

Archived