Tanny/Rex put their jobs ahead of Jets season

SouthernJet

I am convinced that Jets make playoffs if McElroy was QB last month or so. The defense played well enough and NO WAY Greg could have more turnovers than the Turnover Tornado #6.

Tanny knew his job was on line and knew that he was one who convinced Woody to move up in draft for Tornado.

Tanny knew if Tebow or McElroy guided Jets to playoffs or near miss at the benching of Sanchez, then that alone was enough to can Tanny. The ONLY way he MAYBE saved job was for his handpicked QB to play lights out and get Jets to playoffs.

So Tanny/Rex kept Tornado in there even though any rational fan knew Tornado was horrific.

Thanks guys for looking out for your jobs more than the team, fans etc etc

Sanchez had Rex's full support from pre-draft through yesterday. What was he afraid of, that Tannenbaum would let it get out that he fired Rex for picking someone other than Mark Sanchez to start a football game?

Sanchez is Rex's guy as much as he is Tannenbaum's.

agree. but after all these horrific proof of horrid QB play, I only can assume that they were protecting their jobs. Only #6 doing well would maybe protect them at this point.

agree. but after all these horrific proof of horrid QB play, I only can assume that they were protecting their jobs. Only #6 doing well would maybe protect them at this point.

How does refusing to bench Sanchez when he's playing like the worst QB in the NFL protect their jobs? If anything thats what will cost them their jobs.

It's one thing to make a mistake drafting Sanchez. It was compounded by throwing good money after bad literally. The Jets needed to cut bait on Sanchez at least since the end of September.

The whole Tebow mess, the Sparano hiring and the Sanchez extension bespeak total incompetence.

It's one thing to make a mistake drafting Sanchez. It was compounded by throwing good money after bad literally. The Jets needed to cut bait on Sanchez at least since the end of September.

The whole Tebow mess, the Sparano hiring and the Sanchez extension bespeak total incompetence.

The Sanchez extension is one of the worst moves in franchise history.

How does refusing to bench Sanchez when he's playing like the worst QB in the NFL protect their jobs? If anything thats what will cost them their jobs.

not true.

Look at it from Woodys POV. Tanny already in deep water months ago. He convinced Woody to trade up for sanchez and alter fate of franchise.

If Sanchez benched and Jets limped into playoffs with Tebow/McElroy it would doom tanny for sure. Not enuf progress after all these years AND his hand picked QB is now a bench player earning millions in Cap space. Woody would fire him.

ONLY way 'maybe' and I emphasize 'maybe' Tanny saves his job was to keep Sanchez in there hoping he would get 22009/10 playoff hot down stretch and make playoffs. I am not sure that would save his job, but POLITICALLY it was Tanny's only option at this point with 6 games to go.

Sanchez had Rex's full support from pre-draft through yesterday. What was he afraid of, that Tannenbaum would let it get out that he fired Rex for picking someone other than Mark Sanchez to start a football game?

Sanchez is Rex's guy as much as he is Tannenbaum's.

This.

The premise of this thread makes no sense. Throwing Sanchez under the bus would get them more time, not less. Starting a new QB gives an automatic scapegoat, instead of pointing out to everybody their number one blunder failing at the most important postion on the field.

Not true, see last post. Its politics, all politics from Tanny's POV.

Woody would fire him if Sanchez offcially lost his job. Rex might have survived I agree, but not Tanny.

not true.

Look at it from Woodys POV. Tanny already in deep water months ago. He convinced Woody to trade up for sanchez and alter fate of franchise.

If Sanchez benched and Jets limped into playoffs with Tebow/McElroy it would doom tanny for sure. Not enuf progress after all these years AND his hand picked QB is now a bench player earning millions in Cap space. Woody would fire him.

ONLY way 'maybe' and I emphasize 'maybe' Tanny saves his job was to keep Sanchez in there hoping he would get 22009/10 playoff hot down stretch and make playoffs. I am not sure that would save his job, but POLITICALLY it was Tanny's only option at this point with 6 games to go.

So you think Tannenbaum is forcing Rex to play Sanchez? Sorry. There is no way I believe that.

I think maybe joint decision. Rex knows a quality new GM wont take job offer from Woody without stipulation that he can bring in his own coach.

This just doesn't make any sense. The ship has sailed on Sanchez from game 3 of this season on. If McElroy had come in and played well they would've only reflected well on them. The refusal to bench sanchez is what will lose all of them their jobs. Or at least it should.

This just doesn't make any sense. The ship has sailed on Sanchez from game 3 of this season on. If McElroy had come in and played well they would've only reflected well on them. The refusal to bench sanchez is what will lose all of them their jobs. Or at least it should.

So not true in Tannys case. He set franchise back years cap wise by moving up for Sanchez. Add in bad drafts and he is gone if Sanchez lost job this year. Coaches might stay but Woody would fire Tanny for bad decisions/cap.

lets just agree to disagree here :)

not true.

Not true, see last post. Its politics, all politics from Tanny's POV.

Woody would fire him if Sanchez offcially lost his job. Rex might have survived I agree, but not Tanny.

Ridiculous. If they made the playoffs their jobs would be safe. If they stuck with Sanchez trying to do that it's on them. If McElroy got them to the playoffs they all stay so your bullsh*t conspiracy theory is irrelevant. Do you honestly believe that they think McElroy gives them a better shot at the playoffs and they didn't take it?

Ridiculous. If they made the playoffs their jobs would be safe. If they stuck with Sanchez trying to do that it's on them. If McElroy got them to the playoffs they all stay so your bullsh*t conspiracy theory is irrelevant. Do you honestly believe that they think McElroy gives them a better shot at the playoffs and they didn't take it?

Yes, because this brain trust has shown that they know SO MUCH about what gives them a shot at winning football games.

tanny would not be safe if they made playoffs by benching sanchez. Rex might have been. Tanny was on thin ice already. Its called rope and Woody will take it and use it.

tanny would not be safe if they made playoffs by benching sanchez. Rex might have been. Tanny was on thin ice already. Its called rope and Woody will take it and use it.

Are you saying that if they made the playoffs with McElroy that Tannenbaum has a better chance of getting fired than them being a national laughinstock with Sanchez?

Yes, because this brain trust has shown that they know SO MUCH about what gives them a shot at winning football games.

Read it again. The point isn't that they were right. The point is that they would do what they thought would give them the best chance of making the playoffs. To think they did otherwise to save their jobs is as silly as thinking that aliens shot JFK.

Are you saying that if they made the playoffs with McElroy that Tannenbaum has a better chance of getting fired than them being a national laughinstock with Sanchez?

No. No.

I said Tanny would be fired if Sanchez was benched, no matter what else happened last 4 week w/Tebow or Greg (his capkiller for YEARS and his pleas to woody to move up in draft), but MAYBE, MAYBE he would survive if Sanchez had played GREAT SUPER ALLPRO last 5 games and Jets made playoffs.

Read it again. The point isn't that they were right. The point is that they would do what they thought would give them the best chance of making the playoffs. To think they did otherwise to save their jobs is as silly as thinking that aliens shot JFK.

OK I read it wrong. Though if that's true it's just more proof of how clueless they are and how they should be fired.

No. No.

I said Tanny would be fired if Sanchez was benched, no matter what else happened last 4 week w/Tebow or Greg (his capkiller for YEARS and his pleas to woody to move up in draft), but MAYBE, MAYBE he would survive if Sanchez had played GREAT SUPER ALLPRO last 5 games and Jets made playoffs.

I think that if McElroy had been the starter from the Cards game on and they had made the playoffs that Tannenbaum might have stayed. he's gone now and it's for the best probably.

I think that if McElroy had been the starter from the Cards game on and they had made the playoffs that Tannenbaum might have stayed. he's gone now and it's for the best probably.

I agree with playoffs part, but think Woody would have canned him for his poor GM "dealings/cap/depth/tradeup to 5th pick for benched QB". Rex maybe survives for pulling Mark and making playoffs if new GM agrees with that.

Like I said we can agree to disagree :)

Like I said, if sanchez had guided them to playoffs I think Tanny would have survived. But if he benched Sanchez and McElroy guided them to playoffs at 9-7 I think Woody would have removed Tanny. I think Woody would have said 'Sanchez as backup/cap is enough to look at new GMs candidates. My opinion. I've been wrong before :) It happens to all of us :)

The premise of this thread makes no sense. Throwing Sanchez under the bus would get them more time, not less. Starting a new QB gives an automatic scapegoat, instead of pointing out to everybody their number one blunder failing at the most important postion on the field.

I think this is true for Rex, but not Tannenbaum. Rex saves his job with wins. Tannenbaum loses his when the QB he signs to a ridiculous extension gets benched mid-season (or sooner) in favor of either a third stringer or someone that is universally regarded as a horrible QB.

Tannenbaum can't throw Sanchez under the bus. He's attached at the hip to him, like Cheng and Eng.

I think this is true for Rex, but not Tannenbaum. Rex saves his job with wins. Tannenbaum loses his when the QB he signs to a ridiculous extension gets benched mid-season (or sooner) in favor of either a third stringer or someone that is universally regarded as a horrible QB.

Tannenbaum can't throw Sanchez under the bus. He's attached at the hip to him, like Cheng and Eng.

I disagree. If ANY QB came out and won games that is good for Tannenbaum - with the possible exception of Tebow if you buy that as a Woody thing. If McElroy wins, that's his pick and he's cheap. Win-win for Mike T. Having the guy keep playing and sucking is no good for anybody. I'd just bench him and come up with a bad shoulder MRI.

I think the reason that Sanchez started vs Jax was twofold:

1 - JAX is putrid and they thought an easy game would boost sanchez confidence and get him on a roll (the contract is an albatross)

2 - Road game. There is no way they would have started Sanchez if that was a home game, no chance.

This is a classic psychological bias known as "escalation of commitment." It's the reason that people throw good money after bad on losing stocks, the reason people re-elect a lousy president, and wars continue for years and years with no hope for victory.

I disagree. If ANY QB came out and won games that is good for Tannenbaum - with the possible exception of Tebow if you buy that as a Woody thing. If McElroy wins, that's his pick and he's cheap. Win-win for Mike T. Having the guy keep playing and sucking is no good for anybody. I'd just bench him and come up with a bad shoulder MRI.

Well, then, I think Tannenbaum should keep his job until we see how McElroy or Tebow pan out.

I think the reason that Sanchez started vs Jax was twofold:

1 - JAX is putrid and they thought an easy game would boost sanchez confidence and get him on a roll (the contract is an albatross)

2 - Road game. There is no way they would have started Sanchez if that was a home game, no chance.

This is a classic psychological bias known as "escalation of commitment." It's the reason that people throw good money after bad on losing stocks, the reason people re-elect a lousy president, and wars continue for years and years with no hope for victory.

Yes, but you do it because at the time you think it is for the best. Misguided or not. I don't see any angle in starting Sanchez if they knew he'd be this bad.

Well, then, I think Tannenbaum should keep his job until we see how McElroy or Tebow pan out.

Wha the **** does that mean? I didn't even defend them. I just said this conspiracy theory nonsense is silly.

Yes, but you do it because at the time you think it is for the best. Misguided or not. I don't see any angle in starting Sanchez if they knew he'd be this bad.

Wha the **** does that mean? I didn't even defend them. I just said this conspiracy theory nonsense is silly.

I'm not talking about a conspiracy. I'm talking about the logic that says that having the QB you just gave a huge extension to (for no reason whatsoever) get benched is an indifferent thing as long as the seventh rounder you picked replaces him, leaving twenty something million dollars a sittin' thar on the bench (sans hot dog)

To me, that would give the appearance of incompetence and if there is one thing you do not want to appear whether you are selling shoes or managing a football franchise, is incompetent and wasteful.

I'm not talking about a conspiracy. I'm talking about the logic that says that having the QB you just gave a huge extension to (for no reason whatsoever) get benched is an indifferent thing as long as the seventh rounder you picked replaces him, leaving twenty something million dollars a sittin' thar on the bench (sans hot dog)

Ya, that usually results in a bad job appraisal at end of year ;)

Archived