Cimini: Good news, Safety in Numbers

flgreen

Good news: Safety in numbers

February, 27, 2013
Feb 27

10:11

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The scouting combine wrapped up Tuesday with the cornerback and safety drills. The Jets have a keen interest in safeties, considering LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell are free agents and Eric Smith was released. Good news: Scouts say it's a deep safety class, headed by Kenny Vaccaro (Texas), who could crack the top 10.

The 40-yard dash results

SAFETY

Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse -- 4.42

Earl Wolff, North Carolina State -- 4.44

Shawn Williams, Georgia -- 4.46

Eric Reid, LSU -- 4.53

Matt Elam, Florida -- 4.54

Notables: T.J. McDonald, USC -- 4.59; Vaccaro -- 4.63

CORNERBACK

Darius Slay, Mississippi State -- 4.36

Dee Milliner, Alabama -- 4.37

Desmond Trufant, Washington -- 4.38

Robert Alford, Southeast Louisiana -- 4.39

Jamar Taylor, Boise State -- 4.39

Notables: Tyrann Mathieu, LSU -- 4.50; Logan Ryan, Rutgers -- 4.56

Elam will be a good player, but I'm not sure I want a Saftey in the second round.

Think the Jets should retain Bell, he actually played very well, and should be fairly cheap.   The Jets Drafted Bush, and Allen last year.  They didn't get much playing time, but what we saw of Bush at the end of the season was encouraging.

Depends what the CS thinks of them

it is a really deep class. Note that TJ McDonald's dad is on the Jets coaching staff.  

not listed are 4.6 guys like Robert Lester and Phillip Thomas, both of whom have at least backup potential. 

That's very interesting.  What round do you think McDonald might go in Bit?

That's very interesting.  What round do you think McDonald might go in Bit?

rd 4/5 maybe? 

Jonathan Cyprien at FIU was flat out awesome at the senior bowl another name to watch. and DJ Swearinger too will rise by the draft. It is as they say a really deep class. 

All of this hurts Landry by the way. In an FA crop with Ed Reed as the big prize and one of the deepest years draftwise at safety, it hurts a guy looking for a huge payday. If he doesn't get snatched up quickly I hope there's a way the jets can bring him back. 

rd 4/5 maybe? 

Jonathan Cyprien at FIU was flat out awesome at the senior bowl another name to watch. and DJ Swearinger too will rise by the draft. It is as they say a really deep class. 

All of this hurts Landry by the way. In an FA crop with Ed Reed as the big prize and one of the deepest years draftwise at safety, it hurts a guy looking for a huge payday. If he doesn't get snatched up quickly I hope there's a way the jets can bring him back. 

What did Cyprien run?  I haven't seen any figures for him.  He'll probably go too high for us.  I can't see Vaccaro cracking the top 10 at that time.  What round do you think the Syracuse kid will go in?  

rd 4/5 maybe? 

Thanks

Last year I was sure Landry wasn't going to last thru week 4. 

As it turned out  he had a very good season.  He reportedly is looking for 5/30.  I don’t think he played well enough to warrant that.

As you pointed out this is a deep class, and a few pretty good FA’s.

Landry still scares the hell out of me as far as long term contract is concerned.

If the Jets aren’t real high on either of their young Safety’s I would rather go with another young one

Thanks

Last year I was sure Landry wasn't going to last thru week 4. 

As it turned out  he had a very good season.  He reportedly is looking for 5/30.  I don’t think he played well enough to warrant that.

As you pointed out this is a deep class, and a few pretty good FA’s.

Landry still scares the hell out of me as far as long term contract is concerned.

If the Jets aren’t real high on either of their young Safety’s I would rather go with another young one

Co-sign.  No way he's worth 5/30.  I love the way he hits, but he's really a one-trick donkey.  Plus there will always be injury/durability issues.  Re-sign Bell on the cheap and add talent/depth through the draft, or even take a sniff at FA's. 

5 for 30 does not sound that bad for Laundry, I would like to know what other top safeties are making.  spread it out and would not be that much for 2013.  I do understand the concern but he is a hell of a player.

I like Landry but 5/30 is way too much.  He's nice as an enforcer but he's not exactly Ed Reed in coverage.

We all know how this story ends; we sign Landry to his $6/per, neglect the position come draft-time, and he gets injured before week-4.    

I wish we would draft players when the draft is strong at their position.  

Nope, this is the year we're going to get a QB, and a middling WR/RB/TE trio. 

So the tag numbers are ..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117300/article/franchise-tag-numbers-tentatively-set-2013-cap-near-121m

These figures were distributed in early December at the annual meeting of team owners in Dallas, reports NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. They will likely be finalized in March.

CB: Franchise: $10.668         Transition: $8.939

DE: Franchise: $10.984         Transition: $8.994

DT: Franchise: $8.306           Transition: $6.919

K/P: Franchise: $2.926         Transition: $2.654

LB: Franchise: $9.455           Transition: $8.216

OL: Franchise: $9.660           Transition: $8.560

QB: Franchise: $14.642         Transition: $12.845

RB: Franchise: $8.079           Transition: $6.851

S: Franchise: $6.798             Transition: $5.899

TE: Franchise: $5.962            Transition: $5.105

WR: Franchise: $10.357        Transition: $8.716

I can see why he would want 6 mil per  and it does not seem unreasonable to me.  I think he is a top five safety in the league.

Now I also think he can be signed for 5 mil per is he is asking for 6.  The cap is going up in 2015 when the new TV deals are done. 

2 mil base per year 

1 mil roster bonus for 2014, 15, 16, 17

10 mil signing bonus

1 mil in other bonus or incentives.

If I am correct makes his cap number this year 4 mil, every other year it would be 5.25 mil

just does not sound that unreasonable to me.

So the tag numbers are ..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117300/article/franchise-tag-numbers-tentatively-set-2013-cap-near-121m

These figures were distributed in early December at the annual meeting of team owners in Dallas, reports NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. They will likely be finalized in March.

CB: Franchise: $10.668         Transition: $8.939

DE: Franchise: $10.984         Transition: $8.994

DT: Franchise: $8.306           Transition: $6.919

K/P: Franchise: $2.926         Transition: $2.654

LB: Franchise: $9.455           Transition: $8.216

OL: Franchise: $9.660           Transition: $8.560

QB: Franchise: $14.642         Transition: $12.845

RB: Franchise: $8.079           Transition: $6.851

S: Franchise: $6.798             Transition: $5.899

TE: Franchise: $5.962            Transition: $5.105

WR: Franchise: $10.357        Transition: $8.716

I can see why he would want 6 mil per  and it does not seem unreasonable to me.  I think he is a top five safety in the league.

Now I also think he can be signed for 5 mil per is he is asking for 6.  The cap is going up in 2015 when the new TV deals are done. 

2 mil base per year 

1 mil roster bonus for 2014, 15, 16, 17

10 mil signing bonus

1 mil in other bonus or incentives.

If I am correct makes his cap number this year 4 mil, every other year it would be 5.25 mil

just does not sound that unreasonable to me.

Unless he's on IR week two that is

Guys risk factor is just to high for a team in the Jets situation right now

Unless he's on IR week two that is

Guys risk factor is just to high for a team in the Jets situation right now

Maybe, maybe not.  All I know is the guy was all over the field last season and by far the most exciting player on the team IMO.  I'd love to resign him and give us some flexibility in the draft.  So many holes...

Archived